The Cost For Love

Chapter Eleven: Tick Tock.

"Hunter bear!" Charlie ran into the spare room and jumped on the bed, jumping on her sleeping brother. "Hunter bear! Wake up! Hunter bear!"

Hunter groaned into his pillow, forgetting how young Charlie was. "Hello, Silly Rabbit. What has got you this excited?" he rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"You being home!" grinned Charlie staring down at her brother. "Can you pwease play with me today?" 

"Of course!" he grinned, "I came back to spend time with you, silly rabbit!" 

She got up and ran down the stairs, running up to Zac. "Daddy!"

He jumped in fright, "Charlie!" He smiled.

"Hunter bear is going to play with me today!" She grinned up at him.

"That's great, Hunter has missed you," he smiled. 

VJ sighed, Hunter always had her attention, of course he found it cute, but he could never see her as excited as she was for Hunter. Leah knew at times  that was the struggle of siblings. One always favoured the other over the other. 

------------

Peter had decided it was time to stay hidden, until his reveal and final thing. He knew whatever he was doing kept making them stronger. "It seems, nothing seems to phase both of you, I will certainly make the choice inevitable." He looked to the gun on the table next to him, cackling softly. Getting up and grabbing at it. "Time to practice my targets." He left to train in the forest, by hunting rabbits and squirrels.

----------

Hunter had been down the stairs for quite some time, and was messing about with Charlie, VJ had gone out to meet some of his university mates in the city. Walking up to his car, he noticed someone who looked Peter breeze past the place. He sighed, shaking his head and shaking it off. Getting in his car, before driving off. 

Peter made his way back around the house, letting off tear gas into the house. 

--------

Hunter, Zac, Leah and Charlie were all playing this dance game on the xbox Hunter had brought home with him from his stay at the academy. Noticing the gas, he quickly covered Charlie's mouth and eyes, "We need to get out." Growled Hunter. 

Zac turned and felt the irritation to his throat and eyes, and helped Leah out the back door, coughing. "What the?" snapped Zac. Hunter dialed Kat immediately filling her in on what the situation was, Kat was now on her way. Peter smirked from the bushes, as Charlie held on to her brother. Looking over at her parents. "Mum, Dad you okay?" wondered Hunter.

"Wondering what the hell is happening!" snapped Zac. "What is that stuff?" 

"Sounds and feels like tear gas, have you been getting targetted again?" wondered Hunter, as he picked up Charlie and held her to him. 

VJ returned home, following Kat up the drive with a few other officers tailing behind him. Worried he rushed out the car, and Kat stopped him from going inside. "They're out back, there's been a tear gas explosion in your home, we do not want you getting hurt."

VJ ran around the back, "What happened?"

Leah came over to him, "We are being targetted." 

"By Peter." Spoke VJ.

Peter heard his name mentioned, and listened in by the bug he had managed to put outside the house. 

"He's in Cairns," spoke Zac, Peter smirked.

"No he's not, I swear I could have seen him this morning," spoke VJ. "I just brushed it off, because it may not have been him." 

Kat took down notes, "I'll look into that. Hayes, I need you to follow up on Peter Baker's whereabouts in Cairns, as he may have been sighted today at the Caravan Park."

Peter freaked, and went to try and find a way to prove he was in Cairns. 

---------------

How will Peter prove he's in Cairns??? 

• 3 weeks later...

-Thank you for all the support! So I hadn't intended on bringing the climax up so soon, but I really need to finish this story by August... So... Yeah. o.o 

Warning: Violent themes.

Chapter Twelve: It's Over.

Peter knew it was a rush against the time, because he had made the call about him being in Cairns. So it was only a matter of time before Kat finds out his real port of contact is just an hours drive out of Summer Bay. He looked back to the gun, "It has to be today." he picked it up putting the bullets in the barrel, waiting for the right time.

----

Zac and Leah were sitting outside the house now, recovering from the tea gas. Hunter and Charlie were playing tag with VJ. Alf had come back after hearing about the tear gas explosion in the house, Leah and Zac were just relaxing together as Peter made his way through the bush with the gun to watch them for awhile. 

"If he's back, do you think he'd have written all those notes? The rat? The fake kidnapping, setting Hunter up? Cause you know how he acted about the fire..." wondered Zac. 

"I don't know Zac, but it's looking fishy." spoke Leah, taking his hand in his. "We will get through this again." 

Zac nodded, "Always forever." 

--------

Kat had been doing some digging, "Peter Baker wasn't paroled to Cairns, he was paroled to a town an hour and a half from here, and he hasn't given them a definitive address in the town he's staying at, but he's been checking in every day, some times a little late and he's had two warnings. Next late parole, and the warrent will go back out for him." 

Emerson looked at her, "So he was paroled the other day?"

"That's the thing, he was paroled a month ago, just when things began to pick up -- just two and a half days before Charlie MacGuire's accident, a coincidence?"  asked Kat.

"We'll need to do a firmer trackings of things that are happening here in the Bay." spoke Emerson. "Obviously someone has lied to Zac, so he must have people on the force still working for him, or being a contact." 

---------

Peter watched carefully, his anger bubbling as Zac and Leah promised each other that they would pull through, glancing over to Hunter, VJ and Charlie playing he put on his balaclava, for witnesses that would see this happen. Still waiting in the shadows and Leah and Zac got up to move over to the family. Zac noticed the mask first, and he moved closer to the family, "Charlie behind us, now." 

Leah looked over, "Oh no!" 

Hunter watched, startled, "What do you want?" 

"For your family to be destroyed," Spoke Peter.

"What do you want now Peter? Didn't we fix this last time, I don't want you, I am happy with Zac, and we've got a child now." Spoke Leah, knowing exactly who it is by the voice.

"That's not nearly enough! He's taken everything! Now he has to pay! You both do!" He growls pulling out his gun. 

"You both are not allowed to be happy!" He aims at the one he wanted to shoot. "You think I would spend five years in prison for you to carry on being happy? Both of you? And for you to even have a child! How dare you think it was that easy!!!" He growled. He smirks, "Well...." 

BANG! He pulled the trigger.

---------

Who did Peter Shoot? Do they die? 

Updating again tomorrow. 

Here it is! :)

Chapter Thirteen: Mortality

Panic! 

That's all that shrouded the park as the sound of the gunshot went off, but for Zac, horror fell into his bones, scared, sheer panic as Leah fell to the ground. Hunter watched Peter drop the gun and run, deciding it would be a good idea to chase him he dialed for the police at the same time. "Hunter no!" Snapped VJ. 

Zac fell to the ground on his knees, so much panic he saw the blood pouring out of her chest. "Leah! NO!" He snapped. Hunter stopped, and so did VJ turning towards where Zac had moved Leah onto him pushing his hands hard against the wound. "SOMEONE RING AN AMBULANCE!" 

Leah was panicking fighting for her own breath, "Zac," she rasped. "I... Love you. If I don't make it, make sure you look after the kids... all of them. And be happy. I love you so much." She spoke. moving a hand over top of hers. Charlie came around the front, crying. Staring at her mother helpless.

"Mommy?" She questioned, feeble and afraid. 

"I love you Charlie," she whispered, looking at her. 

Zac was in tears, "Hold on! The ambulance is coming, hear that? VJ says they're coming..." He pleaded with her. 

Hunter was in shock his head was racing, he picked up Charlie to comfort her. "Mum?" He questioned. He had grown so attached to her the last five years, and he loved her so much.

Leah smiled at him, "Be a cop." 

"You're going to be fine, mum!" frowned VJ from the side, he felt numb. Leah looked to VJ, "My darling boy." 

Leah looked at them all, "I love you all, so much. Remember..." She fell unconscious before she could finish her sentence.

Zac shook her, "Leah!" 

The paramedics arrived, as well as police.

---------------

Leah was rushed to hospital, Nate and Tori rushed to work on her to help stop the bleeding while the surgeons were prepping for surgery. Zac and the family followed in, blood covering Zac's shirt. He was feeling numb, angry, sad, upset. Kat came into get some details. 

"Hey guys, is she okay?"

"They're working on her," breathed Zac, trying to hold it together. 

"What happened?" She asked.

Zac shook his head, "Not now, Kat." 

He heard the alarm bells watching as the cardiac team rushed into Leah's room hearing Nate tell them, "She's arresting!" 

He fell back on the chair. Charlie was hugging Hunter crying because she wanted her mother, VJ was just numb standing there in shock. He was scared of losing his mum. Scared that Peter would win. 

------------

Peter ran through the bush, shocked at his own choice. He had all the intentions of shooting Zac, but then Leah said she loved Zac, still. He wanted to kill her so, no one could have her if he couldn't. He looked to the sky, "If I can't have you! NO ONE CAN!" he yelled. His mind state completely wiped out. He stopped running once he thought he would be okay to at least walk some more, getting to his hide out car, he got in. 

Putting a wig and eye contacts in he drove to the hospital, he needed to know if she makes it or not. He drove slowly though, back routes because he knew cops would be all over the main roads so it was going to take him ages to make the hospital.

-----------

For what seemed like hours that Zac, Hunter, VJ and Charlie were waiting for some news at the hospital, Nate came out, a very tired and solemn look to his face.

"Zac." He spoke softly, his accent pulling through.

Zac was up off his chair and towards him in seconds, the family also stood around. Nate was hesitant with Charlie being so close, "Just you, Zac." 

"No!" Zac knew, he shook his head. VJ clued on too, and so did Hunter, all of their fears came true.

"I'm so so sorry Zac, there was nothing we could do." He put his hand on Zac's shoulder.

Charlie was confused, upset and crying. She watched her Dad fall to the floor and cry. She squirmed against Hunter. "Daddy!!!!" 

She pulled at herself to free from Hunter, "Put me down!" 

He did and Charlie ran to her Dad. "Daddy?" 

He looked at Charlie, so helplessly he just hugged her. 

"Is mommy okay?" she asked.

"No Charlie," He whispered. VJ and Hunter came over too, as they moved to sit on the chairs closer to the room. 

"What do you mean no?" She asked.

"She died," cried Zac. Zac seemed to not really get it right now. 

Hunter watched Charlie lurch herself back at him wrapping her arms around her brothers neck. "Hunter bear!" She cried. "What does that mean?"

Hunter looked at Zac wild with sadness, not knowing how to explain it. VJ sat down. "You know, Charlie, it's just a deep sleep. Where..." He choked on his own tears, trying to hold it in to explain to Charlie that their mum won't wake up. 

"Where Mummy will stay, sleeping forever. Like sleeping beauty, but no kiss will bring her back." finished Zac. Charlie looked at him and cried.

"No more Mummy?" she asked. 

Zac got up, "I..." he walked away. As painful as he did, he needed to get out of there. 

Charlie cried, "What did I do?"

"Nothing baby, he's upset, he just lost mummy too." Spoke Hunter, still in shock. VJ and Hunter looked at each other.

"I can't believe it, Mum's gone, she's dead." frowned VJ. "Peter killed her." 

Hunter glared, "I could kill him." 

"Mum wouldn't want you to ruin your life for her," reminded VJ, trying to be sensible himself. 

----------------

Kat was standing outside the hospital when she saw Zac come out and turn towards his car and he stopped at it. Zac wasn't coping he tried to remain as strong as he could in front of the kids, but once he reached his car he cracked, crying and kicking at his car. Kat ran over. "Zac?"

"She's gone! He killed her! Peter killed her!" He screamed, panting breathlessly as the anger flared in his voice. 

Kat put her arms around him, "I'm so sorry Zac!" 

"How could you not know that he was bailed earlier? How did we not find out?!" He asked. "I could have stopped all this! I should've given him what he wanted and she'd still be here!" 

Kat frowned, "He must have intercepted the letter you'd have received, that would have told you that he made bail to the town just over from Summer Bay, he was probably living close, and travelling early to make his Parole check in." 

"It was all him! The letters! Charlie's accident! The kidnapping! Now he killed her!" He cried. "I have to go." 

"You can't drive like that, you are so upset, let me take you. Where?" asked Kat. 

"The diner, Irene is there," He spoke. "Perhaps a change of shirt first." 

Kat found a spare running shirt for Police students in the back of her police car, "Use this, the house is a crime scene at the moment. Alf is currently there supervising things with the other officers. We will catch him Zac, he will go down for murder." 

"He wasn't wearing gloves when he handled the gun, I remember that much. Then Leah she fell.." He whispered, sitting in the car after changing his shirt. 

---------------

Charlie, VJ and Hunter decided to head to the beach now, noticing Zac's car still there they wondered where he went off too, but they had asked Nate if he minded dropping them off at the surf club, Charlie wanted a milkshake, and her daddy and mommy. Hunter knew she didn't quite understand it yet, but he knew she'd understand sometime that her mother, their mother, wasn't coming back. 

Nate of course agreed, telling Tori that he would head off with them, make sure they're alright. Hunter could tell Nate had been crying, "I am so sorry guys," He spoke to them. He felt so guilty. "I'm a doctor, I meant to save peoples lives, I do it every day, but I couldn't save her." He whispered.

Hunter nodded, "You did what you could, we don't blame you. It's Peter Baker..." He growled. His anger there, "Calm down Hunter..." He whispered to himself, remembering Leah's 'Be a cop.' words. That hit him like a ton of bricks, that was the last thing she said to him. 

"Be a cop." He mumbled. 

VJ looked at him, "What?" 

"The last she said to me, was be a cop." he mumbled.

"My darling boy," spoke VJ. "And I love you Charlie, for Charlie. I can't remember what she said to Zac." 

Hunter frowned, "Something about love, looking after us and being happy. How can he be happy when she's gone? She was his world." 

VJ felt the tears, "She was everything to him, everything to us. Everything to me." It hit him now, tears falling. "She's really gone." 

Nate frowned listening to them as they reached Tori's car as he asked to borrow it to take them back to the Surf Club, and would return it to her before her shift finished as he had biked to work this morning 

------------

Zac was dropped off at the diner, and Kat said she'd go out out an alert for Peter, Zac nodded. "Thank you, I guess." He frowned. He walked in, rumors of the shooting had been going around. But no one knew what happened. 

Irene was working, Chris was happy along next to her. "He probably missed! And shot a wall! Everyone will be fine, relax Irene! Look at me, I am such a charmer. I'll make you all happy." 

Zac stood there, and glared at Chris. But moved further so Irene saw him, "Zac! Darl! I heard about the shooting everything okay? We don't know anything but a shot was fired at the park!" She was looking concerned but also smiling.

Zac closed his eyes, he looked to Irene sad, tired upset eyes looked at her. "No, Irene, everything isn't okay... Leah was shot, and she died." Not knowing else how to say it before he collapsed to the floor crying again because he lost his wife. 

Irene went cold, "No!" she cried out. "No!!!!!!!"

--------------------

Oh no. Leah. Poor Zac, Charlie, VJ and Hunter. All seem pretty numb to it right now. Next chapter... will be more of the shock settling in. And Zac trying to deal with Charlie and the family on his own... The town rallies around to support of course... 

Sorry! :o 

• 3 months later...

I know, I'm evil killing Leah. But it's for a purpose. 

Sorry for being absent for the last over 2 months! I spent six weeks in the NZDF and have been working on putting my application (reapplying) for the Army. So I'm back now, hoping to finish this story and start on a new one, with some original characters 

Chapter Fifteen: Lost Without Her.

Night time came quickly, and Zac had returned home, already going into the kitchen and started on dinner, Hunter, VJ and Charlie came down, "Hey guys." Spoke Zac. As he started to cut up tomatoes, and some other ingredients. The meat was already in the oven, VJ looked at him with an odd expression. 

"I'm cooking dinner," nodded Zac, trying to be alright for everyone. Needing to be on top of everything. He was their father now, he was the only one left for them. Irene, and Alf came in, and looked at the family sitting at the table looking at Zac being hyper in the kitchen.

"Oh your home, dinner is almost up." Smiled Zac, a big turnaround from earlier. 

"Zac, are you okay?" asked Alf.

"Yes, I have to keep ahead of things be on top of it, I'm their dad now," He spoke, convincingly enough. "I have to look after them. It's what Leah would have wanted."

Alf nodded, unconvinced. Worried about Charlie, she was silent as a mouse, looking around for her mother. Zac kept going on with dinner, before he served it.

He sat next to Charlie and dished her some food, "Not hungry Daddy."

"Please eat." he said, begging almost. "We need to eat." He spoke. He wasn't hungry either.

Charlie nodded and started to eat her food, yet Zac played with his. 

Irene watched him carefully wondering when something was going to break in him. "Darl, we do need to start preparing the funeral," hoping not to set him off.

He pressed at his food more, and nodded. "... I know." He whispered, his voice barely there. He stood up to clean to the plates, after trying to eat a few bites of his meal. 

------------

After he put Charlie to bed, and VJ decided to try and sleep. Zac stood aimlessly in their bedroom looking at the side of her bed, hopping in he laid there all night. When he heard the door open and little footsteps make their way in. "Daddy?" He heard a small voice, he sat up a little and saw Charlie with her Finding Dory stuffed toy.

"Hey Princess, what's wrong?" asked Zac, she hadn't done this in a good year.

"I can't sleep, can I sleep in here with you?" asked Charlie, seeming scared.

"Of course, hop in." He says and she jumped in and cuddled up to him.

"I want Mommy to come home," she says sadly. 

"Me too," he says sadly, trying to blink back the tears of hearing his daughter say that. "But... It won't happen." He whispers. 

---------

Days had passed, Zac, Charlie, VJ and Hunter tried their best to get on with things and the funeral was just hours away. They'd prepared it pretty fast, her family had made it to the Bay just the night before and had taken Charlie to give Zac some breathing space since Charlie had practically attached herself to her father, scared and worried she was going to lose him too. 

Zac seemed to be coping alright, and was doing everything for VJ and Hunter, VJ had gone into some sort of reclusive state barely functioning and had just wanted to get the funeral out of the way, it was only going to be a small one, like Leah had wanted. He loved his mother so much this was killing him having to say goodbye to such a brilliant, maybe overprotective person but she was still his mother and this wasn't fair. 

Zac stood in the room, dressed in his black suit, with a white tie, as Leah wanted white ties for males instead of the stereotypical black attire you usually wear to send someone off. The funeral was up at Stewart's Point, one of Leah's favourite spots where she always disappeared to when she was feeling down, or just wanted to see the sights over the place she called home for many years.

Grasping at the eulogy he had wrote to say goodbye to his wife, his love, his life he stepped down the stairs, a numb vacant look to him. The wake after the funeral would be at the diner, Leah's loved diner where she spent most of her time. Zac didn't know if he'd make it through the funeral, or the wake but he had too, for Charlie, VJ and for Hunter also. 

Hunter met him at the bottom of the stairs, "Are you ready to get going Dad, Mr Stewart has just taken the last boxes of wine to the diner to celebrate her life..." He trailed off, he didn't understand celebrating after a funeral. What was the point of that, they'd just buried someone. He was truly confused to that absurd part of tradition. 

"I have to be ready, whether I want to be or not Hunter. So lets go." said Zac, just wanting to go and get it over with so he can be alone. 

---------

Many Summer Bay residents came out to bid farewell to Leah, Zac sat there with the children, Charlie on his lap her tears freely flowing, even though she didn't understand really what this was about she knew it was to say goodbye to her mother. VJ stood up, and went up to the podium.

"My mother wasn't just a mother, she was a friend, a wife, a protective mother if too much to be honest. She was always there when I needed her, she would always listen, though get angry so easy at the little things. She was always so full of joy, I had the pleasure of being her son and having her raise me. When I was little I always admired how persistent she was. When she met Zac I was angry, but I am so thankful she had a man like him in her life. A life was taken far too soon, I love you Mum, and I'll never forget you." He said, now started to cry and went and placed a flower on her coffin.

Hunter had chosen not to speak, as he didn't feel he'd be able too. Charlie wanted to say something and got up, and took Hunter with her though. He picked her up so she could reach the microphone, "My mummy is the best mummy in the whole wide world," she said bravely. Her light voice pushing through the microphone, "She wasn't just anybodies mum, she was mine." She says. "She protected me from the monsters under my bed, by giving me kisses every night and read me stories with Daddy. She always promised no matter where she was, she'd always protect me. I believe that. I miss my mummy and I will miss and love mummy forever." She started to cry and put her arms out, "Daddy!" She cried for him. 

Zac got up, bravely he hadn't known she had written such a speech and he was left stunned, his heart broke more for his little girl as she made grabby hands for him. When he reached her he took her in his arms, now it was his turn to speak. 

He held his daughter while he did so, "Leah was my soulmate someone I saw myself spending the rest of my life with. I love her with all my heart, she was funny, smart, and persistent and was always right, 99% of the time, I can hear her now saying 'Always.'" He lightly chuckled then, "Her passion was large, and she always fought for what she believed in. If I could take back the time to have her back here I would, but I can't. I will always cherish the years I had with her, and always wish to have more. I miss her so much, and I'm so thankful that she chose me." He said, tears in his eyes. "I love you, Leah. My soul mate forever." He said and put a rose on her coffin, Charlie was crying into his neck.

Zac felt like he couldn't cry not with his daughter being like this, he wasn't able to. It wouldn't be fair, he had to be strong.

----------

Once the speeches and the rest of the funeral was done, he sat in the diner with a beer in his hands. He sipped at it while he watched Hunter play and talk to Charlie. He felt somewhat angry that he had to put his five year old daughter through this, obviously Peter with those notes wanted them to part, and if he had... would Leah still be alive? He gulped down a sip of his beer and rubbed his temples. 

"Hunter, VJ, Charlie. Do you want to head off home?" he asked. 

"I think I might just stay here a bit longer, Dad...." Whispered VJ. Wanting to remain close to Leah and Billie was spending time with him. He had always liked her. 

Hunter looked over, "We're fine here, Charlie has things occupy her. If you want to go, Mr Stewart or Irene could bring us home later." He suggests, a sad look over at his father. "Are you okay Dad?"

"I'll be fine," attempted Zac, "I'm gonna go though, I don't feel like being here." He says sadly. 

He grabs his jacket and car keys and goes to drive home.

---------

Once home he decides he wants to do something normal, and by normal attempt Leah's favourite desert she always makes, the one that Charlie loves it takes a few hours to prepare at his unskilled level so he got her recipe out, tracing his hands over her handwriting. "I miss you," he whispered to the air, trying to keep himself together. As nearing to put it in the oven, Mr Stewart brought the children home. 

"What you doing, Zac?" asked Alf.

"Making Leah's favourite desert, Charlie loves it.... trying to keep things normal for her," he says and puts it in the oven and goes to join them at the table. "Did you think it went well today?" He asked mainly to VJ.

"She would have loved it, the atmosphere. The people that gathered. We did good." He spoke. 

---------

About twenty five minutes passed and Zac was up, rushing to the oven as he burnt the desert and he pulled it out staring at it, a wide expression on his face and he kicked the oven shut and threw it in the sink with a huff. Hunter came to the kitchen as VJ took Charlie outside to play, of course a five year old would go back to normal and want to childlike things.

Hunter stood there and saw Zac standing there. "Dad?"

"I wanted it to be perfect, just like she'd do it." He said, his voice weak.

"It's okay Dad, things -" He was cut off.

"It's not okay!" He snapped. "How can this all be okay when she isn't here anymore?!" He said his voice quivered, as the tears came. "I don't think I can do this, I don't know how to do this without her!" He broke down suddenly realizing she was truly gone. "I can't..."

Hunter moved over to his father and wrapped his arms around him, Zac hugged back breaking down into his sons shoulder. "I know Dad, but you have us. You will always have us." 

Zac held onto his son, "I think I want to be alone for awhile." He spoke, after awhile. Zac grabbed a drink of juice and went upstairs to his room and locked the door, going into the closet and grabbing the scotch bottle he had hid after he got out of jail and started to drink it from the bottle.

----

Three hours passed and Hunter was worried, Charlie wanted her father and Alf cleaned the kitchen hoping everything would come right after awhile, he knew it had hit Zac. But he let Hunter comfort his father.

"Should I go up and see if he is okay?" asked Hunter looking at the stairs. "He hasn't even come out or down for three hours." 

Alf shrugged, "How about I try?" He asked. 

Alf went up the stairs and knocked on the door. "Zac?"

"Go away," mumbled Zac, drunkness plaguing his mind.

"You've been drinking? You need to come down and eat something." pressed Alf. 

"I said go away, I just want to be alone." He tried. 

Alf kept pressing, to which Zac eventually came out and went downstairs. "I guess I have too." He muttered going down and sitting at the table. Which Charlie came to him and hugged him. "It's going to get better daddy."

---------- 

Next time: Final Chapter.

6 months later, then 12 months later I think. We'll decide. 

Look into the future for Zac, Charlie and the rest without Leah... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the support, this has been a challenging story for me to write. Over the passed weeks, I've not been watching much Home and Away (Aussies know why and NZers. :P Being a big Zac/Leah fan they'll understand.)

Right so the plan for this chapter is starting on a brief chapter in the present, then skips to six months, then to finish off with a 12 month recap. :) Then this ends the sequel to A Target For Love. No more sequels, because there's no Leah to carry it on. :) Or I do an older Charlie one... But nah! Maybe not! :)

Chapter Sixteen: Memories Live On.

Present Day....

Zac had remained quiet and absent, keeping far from Charlie. Every time he looked at her he saw her, and it broke his heart. Every night she'd come into his room crawl into bed with him and cuddle up to him. She'd really started to realize her mother wasn't there anymore, "Daddy..." She whispers one night. 

He turns over, trying his hardest to remain strong to remind him that she was his daughter, and she would need him, especially now that she had returned to school today. She sat on the bed her hands on his arms, tear tracks down her face. "Princess?" 

"This boy at school is really, really mean." She tells him, sadly. Her hands planted themselves on his arms as she looked over at them, "They come over to me, and tell me their mummy took them to the park, and then the movies. That their mummy will pick them up from school. And then they laugh at me, because my mummy is gone." She says. Her eyes well up with tears. "Then they pull my hair." 

Zac's anger rose up in his chest, how could people taunt a five year old child who lost her MOTHER. He pulled her to cuddle up to him, "I will deal with it, I promise." He tells her. He looks to the side as Charlie goes to sleep cuddled up to him. He holds in as much as he could before he quietly cries, missing his wife and struggling to be the dad he knew he had to be now. 

--

The next day Zac prepared lunch for Charlie, VJ and Hunter who was heading back to complete his police training in a few weeks, VJ had taken a bereavement break on his university course and was returning to complete the semester over the summer courses to be able to get back up to date. VJ needed to be here for Zac, who was drinking a lot, angry a lot of the time and he saw the struggle he had internally with Charlie. VJ saw his mother in his sister all the time, and though she had Zac's personality he did see her shine through every now and then. It was the small things, the way she would say things.

Charlie sat eating her jam toast, slowly not wanting to anger her father like she did yesterday feeling like she had to rush so he could get her to school so he could be left alone. He had told her to stop, and Charlie decided to bite back and say her mother wouldn't have told her off and Zac retorted with 'well she's not.' and told her to hurry up.  VJ told Charlie to apologize for that out of order context that they were all dealing with their mother's death and Zac was hurting the most.

Zac grabbed his keys and his bag, he had to return to work today, "Charlie let's go." He tells her, with a forced smile. 

"It's too early Daddy," she mumbles grabbing her bag slipping it on looking over at him.

"I need to deal with the bullying, so we need to go early so I am not late for work, either." He tells her with a smile. 

---

Once at school Zac deals with Charlie's bullying, by speaking to the Principal, and the parents had happened to be in the school so it was dealt with swiftly, the boys quickly apologized, they promised Charlie they'd be nice to her. Zac kissed her head and left for his own work day which was a struggle.

Zac had all eyes on him, everyone knew who Leah was. Of course they did, she'd come and have lunch with him every Wednesday and they'd either sit at a shaded tree or out on one of the picnic tables. Zac had his students in his room, teaching them about some random book that he used to be so passionate about, but nothing seemed to be inspiring him. He asked the questions, they answered trying to make him at least smile. But he couldn't Leah was on his mind, not knowing how he could have gone on with his life now that she was not here....

Six months later...

Zac was doing a lot better, working and smiling. VJ had gone back to university for the summer break, but was to be back for Christmas. Hunter was graduating from police college on the Friday and he couldn't be more prouder, Zac had been made Principal of Summer Bay High and things were looking up. Though, Charlie was struggling learning at school with reading and writing, so they were getting her tested for dyslexia. Charlie was a happy child. Which was a bonus. She asked after her mother every now and then, still not fully understand it, and Zac would make up stories about what her mother could be doing up in Heaven with the Angels. 

Leah's parents had become more frequent to Summer Bay, to help Charlie and see how VJ and the rest were handling it. They struggled once they learned Peter Baker killed their child. 

Whom still hadn't been caught. That was killing Zac inside knowing the male hadn't been caught, but they were all still actively looking for him. 

Zac was sitting in his classroom, with students,  when Kat came in, "Zac..." She said the class looked up as well. 

"Kat, hey." He said, wondering why she was here. "Is everything okay? Charlie?! VJ? Hunter?!" 

Kat smiled, "They're fine... I just came to tell you, we caught him. We got him, Zac. He confessed to shooting her, we have her killer." 

Zac felt the world go distant and fell back on his chair, letting out a sigh of relief, and felt a tear go down his face. He then looked up at her, and swallowed. "He confessed, just like that?"

"He's pretty messed up about it, but he made that choice. He will be going down for first degree murder. His intentions were clear, you've got your justice now. Once the trial of course is over. You can move on." encouraged Kat. 

"Move on? To what?!" He snapped suddenly, staring up at her. "I'm never going to move on from her!" 

"From the murder, Zac, you can rest easier at night knowing she's getting her justice." said Kat, "I didn't mean from her, Zac, you will in time." 

Zac nodded, "I have work to do."

--

After the long day, after finding out Peter was caught he went to the station. "I want to see him." 

Kat looked up, "Zac, I really don't think that will help." 

Zac shook his head, "I want to see him!" He snapped. 

"Okay, I'll ask if it's possible." Kat said, weary. 

After a few minutes Kat was escorting Zac to the cells, where Peter sat. 

Peter looked up when he saw Zac, guilt started to rush through him. Peter saw how run down he looked, how grief strucken he still seemed. Maybe it was him being caught that brought it all back.

"Do you know the damage you've done to this town? Her family? Her five year old daughter?" He snapped. 

"A lot?" suggested Peter, aloof. 

"Her first week back at school after Leah's funeral, boys would go up to her and tease her about how great there mother is, and how they would be getting to go out with their mothers. At the end of their little teasing they'd pull her hair and laugh." He snapped. "She'd come home and not talk to anyone, until the Friday when at some god hour of the morning she came into my room in tears telling me what happened." 

Peter listened and slung his head, keeping silent. 

"She asks what her mother's doing now, and I have to make up stupid stories about her creating cakes with God. How fair is that for her?! No child at her age should be raised without her mother! It's been six months, and since VJ went back to school two months ago, we've seen him twice. He can barely look at her! Why?! Because Leah is written all over her." 

"You're selfishness took her away from three kids that needed her, Hunter may not have been hers by blood, but he was adopted by her. Idolized her. Listened to her, had a true family with her. He lost his mother, and now he lost his second one. VJ had nearly lost her more than once in his entire life. It's not fair." Explained Zac, remaining calm.

"You took the very person from me, that I loved with all my heart. Because you were too selfish to see behind your jealous haze to see she was happy, too. I loved her," He took a deep breath to remain even more calm, "I loved her with all my heart, and I'm never going to see her again until the day I die, and that's too far away. How am I meant to carry on being there for everyone? When all I want to do is be with her?!"

Peter remained quiet, and put his head down more, "I'm..."

"You're what? Sorry?! You aren't sorry, you have put me through hell, you had put us ALL through hell." He said, "Irene too, relapsed on alcohol, almost drowned because of it. Because she misses her friend so much, she's in rehab now. Recovering. Dealing with her inconsolable grief." He tells him. "You know what I want to know..."

Peter looked up, "What?"

"How would your brother have felt about all this, if he was still alive to see the damage you've done?"

Peter halted, he had never thought of what Dan would have thought. "Dan...." He mumbled. "Dan would hate me. He would literally hate me, kill me even twice over."

"Didn't think about him in all your actions, did you? Didn't think about what he probably would have wanted for Leah?" He asked.

"No." He said.

"How do you feel now that you killed her?" asked Zac.

"Guilty, regret. I'm sorry, Zac."

"I will never forgive you, I wonder how all those prisoners you put away will take you now, having murdered a mother...." Zac knew how prisoners felt about cops, who commit crimes. But he knew especially how badly prisoners took to men murdering mothers. Now a cop that murdered a mother, "Uh oh.." He said and walked away. "Rot in hell, Peter." He said as Kat closed the cell doors.

Kat looked at him, "Did it help?"

"Yes," told Zac. "I can let it go, the murder."

Twelve Months Later...

It was one day since the trial had finally ended, with delays and evidence being going missing it was a stressful time being going in and out of court. But things were looking up for all of them. Irene was back, she had recovered well and was doing better. She was taking her time in returning to the diner, still being a place that hurt her very much.

Zac had been taking on more things at work, and was looking for a new teacher. Hunter had started work as a constable at the Yabbie Creek Police Station, which was making him a lot happier. 

VJ had finally got the closure he needed to move on. Peter got life with no chance of parole, that was a good sign he couldn't torture and hurt more people than he has over the last five years. 

Charlie had made a lot of friends, even with the boys who bullied her so that was a bonus. Zac was at work, interviewing a girl named Macey. Who seemed to be really nice. He gave her the job, she had the experience and everything that was wanted for the job. Zac smiled for the first time at a girl, since Leah and he started to feel bad about it. 

Later that day, he was at Salt, with Nate as Macey came in and sat down. Zac looked over at her, and Nate knew. "It's okay..." He said.

Zac stared at him, "Okay? What is?"

Nate looked over at the girl, "I caught the little smile you did when you saw her, it's okay to move on."

Zac shook his head, "I hired her, and I smiled at her, and I felt guilty." 

"Guilty?" asked Nate.

"Because it's a smile I had for Leah," he told him, sadly. 

"It's okay to take your time, and move on. I know this month has been hard with the trial, and how it's just come to an end." spoke Nate.

"And it signifies she's gone, Nate. She's gone and she's never coming back," said Zac, tears in his eyes. "I foolishly lead myself to believe that once the trial was over I'd miraculously feel happy. I feel like she has died all over again." He said. 

"That happens, I am sure. Zac you can move on." He tells him. "It's natural." 

Zac nodded, "I'm not ready." 

---

A few days later, Zac, Charlie, Hunter and VJ were all at the beach, having a lot of fun on the beach. Hunter watched Zac watch Macey who sat down to read a book on the beach. But he focused back on Charlie chasing her off down the beach running past Macey and picked Charlie up, "Gotcha!" He said as she chuckled. 

"Daddy!" She laughed, kicking her feet in the air as he twirled her. 

Zac laughed, staring up at his daughter. She was the only girl in his life that he needed. He carried her back down the beach to Hunter and VJ who were both staring, smiling but curious.

"Do you like the new teacher?" asked VJ.

"What do you mean?" asked Zac, looking at him.

"Attracted..." said Hunter, giggling. 

"Well she's nice, but I don't..." He stopped. "Why?"

"It's okay," said VJ. "If you want too, Mum would be okay with it."

Hunter nodded.

"Charlie is the only girl I need in my life, I'm really not... interested." He said. Nodding. "But I'll keep that in mind, if ever the girl arises." 

Zac smiled and returned to the family time, not even glancing back at the new teacher..... 

------------------

The. End.

Not sure how I like the ending, but it's the only thing I could think off. My main part of the chapter was the Zac/Peter confrontation, I know it was more calm than I anticipated, but I thought him being calm and collected would rattle Peter enough, which it did. Hence him being quiet, and not mouthing off. And I super loved the part when Zac asked him how Dan would have felt if he was alive.

Thank you so much for your support over the two stories. On to something new! :wub:

Until next time. 

Comments

Archived