Bring Back the Opening Credits!

The thing about old credits was that it was the most recognisable aspect of H&A. Even my non-viewer friends know the words and tune to the theme song (in the same way Neighbours and Eastenders theme tunes are iconic). By getting rid of the opening credits, you get rid of what sets it apart for the casual viewer. I'd happenly sacrifice the end credits (which essentially always spoil the next week's storylines).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/06/2016 at 5:34 AM, cadyctslover said:

I think the current attitude is a mixture of policy against opening credits greater than 15 seconds in length (Network 7), and a feeling that significant resource was wasted on credits between 2004-2009 that ended up being unpopular with viewers anyway (Cameron Welsh / Lucy Addario). However if any real effort or research had gone into these final sets of credits, they might have been more popular, and accepted by viewers.

As you say, the recent versions of the credits (2000 onwards) have been very "un-Home and Away like". Over the years, Neighbours have tried to be creative and innovative with their credits (e.g. 2002, 2006-2007, 2007-2010), but they always seem to come back to basics of having the characters by the pool, barbecue, playing cricket etc. 

I'd like to see the credits return, and I'd love to see a modern take on the 1988-1999 credits (e.g. characters at the beach, caravan park),but at the same time, the general tone of the show seems to have shifted that I am not sure if they would suit it anymore (neither would any of the post 2004 versions). They'd probably go for something more like Hollyoaks has, which is "sexy" and sets the general tone of the show. 

All Saints ditched their credits back in 2005, presumably because it allows an extra 40 seconds or so of action, and the newer dramas (Winners and Losers, Packed to the Rafters) have never had credits. It's a shame really, but it seems to be the trend in the US too.

1 hour ago, adam436 said:

As you say, the recent versions of the credits (2000 onwards) have been very "un-Home and Away like". Over the years, Neighbours have tried to be creative and innovative with their credits (e.g. 2002, 2006-2007, 2007-2010), but they always seem to come back to basics of having the characters by the pool, barbecue, playing cricket etc. 

Because that's what's synomous with Neighbours; Suburbia, Day-to-Day. Sounds Mundane/Dull/Worthy but when Neighbours does the mundane, the viewing figures are slightly higher than the sensational. It doesn't give off the image of something it's not.

4 hours ago, adam436 said:

All Saints ditched their credits back in 2005, presumably because it allows an extra 40 seconds r so of action, and the newer dramas (Winners and Losers, Packed to the Rafters) have never had credits. It's a shame really, but it seems to be the trend in the US too.

It's a trend but it's not one that all US shows follow. Some new shows have very inventive, complex, and long opening credits. By cutting the H&A credits, the producers are really only following a trend that they are choosing to see as a trend in the first place.

8 hours ago, beau_t said:

It's a trend but it's not one that all US shows follow. Some new shows have very inventive, complex, and long opening credits. By cutting the H&A credits, the producers are really only following a trend that they are choosing to see as a trend in the first place.

Oh really? I don't watch much US television. All the shows I watched either ended before the trend started or they didn't have full credits (Desperate Housewives ditched them around season 3 and 24 never had them!). The only one I've noticed that does do them is The Big Bang Theory.

It's a shame really - mainly TV shows are defined or at least instantly recognizable by their opening credits and theme song (we could literally list 100s), but the newer Australian dramas coming through, especially on Channel 7, don't have that identity. Home and Away should preserve it as long as they can IMO.

• 7 months later...

Yeah just viewed yet. Wow so many characters I forgot about lol. For me Jade, Jesse etc. I had the biggest crush on Jessica Tovey too. In my fav year of the show 2008. But yeah they did a good job with that montage. I wonder if Season starts and theirs new opening credits Haha. Best to have low expectations ha.

I find it very odd that that montage stopped around the 2009 credits era, and didnt show the current rotating set of title cards that we have now.

Despite all my hoping and wishing for a proper set of opening titles, I doubt this will happen, as Channel 5 in the UK asked both HAA and Neighbours for their new title cards to put in a promo they were doing (it aired before the neighbours new credits were seen), and HAA still had the same ones as we have now. Although this could be because the UK are months behind Aus in HAA unlike Neighbours

Archived