Bring Back the Opening Credits!

They should absolutely bring the opening credits back. I can't understand why they don't. I'm not sure if I've said it before on here, but when the producers have been asked about them in the past, they said that they didn't include them because they wanted to have more scenes to focus the action on. Well, the show had opening credits for every single episode for about 17 years and the show didn't suffer in the slightest having them, so why would they suffer from having them now?

If they ever did bring them back, they should put some effort into them rather than what they did with the 2009 credits, which just looked like an Average Joe put together on Windows Movie Maker and went, "meh, that'll do". They were also far too short.

The Home and Away theme tune is iconic. It's quite likely that there'll be people out there who haven't watched Home and Away for years and years and can still remember every lyric.To not have them play it at the start of every episode is a massive shame, and something they should absolutely rectify. I still hold out hope that a new producer comes in and decides to bring back the opening credits and theme tune.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be pretty great if they brought back the tune for the show's 30th years. But I don't think "fun" is a part of the producer's vocabulary. Always loved the opening themes and seeing the changes when a character leaves/arrives, that's something I've always enjoyed noticing, like "hey, X isn't in the intro anymore" or "Cool, X is now with Y in the intro". It's the little things like that, that I've always enjoyed about the show.

I'd really only be satisfied if they went to the length they were before 2004. I felt the ones after that just felt rushed. I'd happily sacrifice the the recaps and "the next time on home and away " rubbish. For w a weekly long complicated drama I can understand the need for it, but not a 25minute daily soap opera. Also I'd like to see the characetrs in the titles as before 2004. Rather than the actors smiling cheesily at the camera.

On 26/05/2016 at 0:11 AM, Red Ranger 1 said:

The 2009 titles were 15 seconds and managed:

Hold me in your arms, don't let me go, I want to stay forever

Closer each day, home and away

I imagine that's the best we could hope for lengthwise if they were ever to bring the opening theme back. I'd prefer that to the current title cards.

Am I right in thinking there was a period back in the mid-to-late 2000s, though, where often they wouldn't even bother flashing up the show's name between the recap and the episode proper? They seemed to run the full titles with cast every now and then when they fancied it, and the rest of the time just had nothing (this must have been before Ric and Matilda left, maybe even before they arrived?)... Or have I remembered that wrong?

On 5/26/2016 at 2:21 AM, Jamie! said:

They should absolutely bring the opening credits back. I can't understand why they don't. I'm not sure if I've said it before on here, but when the producers have been asked about them in the past, they said that they didn't include them because they wanted to have more scenes to focus the action on. Well, the show had opening credits for every single episode for about 17 years and the show didn't suffer in the slightest having them, so why would they suffer from having them now?

For over 10 years it has been the 'trend' to remove opening credits altogether. Stylistically credits may be considered old-fashioned, but it is mainly due to the alarmingly short attention span of the modern viewer. Not only do networks hold workshops where they gauge viewer reactions to upcoming programming, but they can also generate data to show how long viewers watch a show before switching channels.

22 hours ago, atrus said:

Am I right in thinking there was a period back in the mid-to-late 2000s, though, where often they wouldn't even bother flashing up the show's name between the recap and the episode proper? They seemed to run the full titles with cast every now and then when they fancied it, and the rest of the time just had nothing (this must have been before Ric and Matilda left, maybe even before they arrived?)... Or have I remembered that wrong?

That was in 2006. They seemed to go through a phase of trialling various styles:

• Recap, Titles, Show
  • Recap, 1st scene, Titles, Show
  • No recap, Show
  • Titles, Recap, Show

Viewing figures and viewer retention data were probably collected during this time and analysed.

Yes but good quality credits are used to entice a viewer into the show and give a show an identity. Some may consider them old fashioned but within the last few years, particular with popular American Dramas, opening titles have been given a lot of attention and have had a lot of work go into them. 

23 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Yes but good quality credits are used to entice a viewer into the show and give a show an identity. Some may consider them old fashioned but within the last few years, particular with popular American Dramas, opening titles have been given a lot of attention and have had a lot of work go into them. 

I agree, and I think (since 2015) Neighbours has been a fantastic example of how to set the tone for the upcoming 21 minutes in an elegant, modern way.

It's such a shame that Network 7 / Lucy Addario cannot appreciate how important the theme tune and opening credits are to H&A, and that it can be used to entice the viewer if done probably.

I think the current attitude is a mixture of policy against opening credits greater than 15 seconds in length (Network 7), and a feeling that significant resource was wasted on credits between 2004-2009 that ended up being unpopular with viewers anyway (Cameron Welsh / Lucy Addario). However if any real effort or research had gone into these final sets of credits, they might have been more popular, and accepted by viewers.

Archived