Tomorrow When the War Began TV Series ABC3

John

Many Australians currently in their 30's would have studied the teenage series of books written by John Marsden.  They were recently made into a movie written and directed by Stuart Beattie.

It has has been remade for Tv as a 6 part series which covers the first of the books.  At this stage Episode 1 has been shown and Episode 2 will air on ABC3 tonight, Saturday April 30 at 7.30pm.

As a teacher who taught them at that time I am watching the series with interest.

It features a cast of young Australian actors some fresh out of secondary school in the main roles.  Supporting roles are played by James Stewart, Debra Mailman and Sybilla Budd among others.

I would be interested to hear how others see the series and how popular it is.

I've enjoyed it so far. Part of me likes that there are some surprises [Chris being Fi's brother, Wirrawee being the home of a RAAF Base]. When i read the books, i was all consumed by Fi, cos she was being played in the film by Phoebe Tonkin [who i love], but in this TV version, Robyn is my fave. REALLY like the emotion the varous parents showed when they deleted the photos of Fi, Ellie etc. Yeah, REALLY liking this tv version.  

btw, i only read the books [all 10 of them] after i read the Phoebe was cast in the film.

I read this book for English class in year 9 about 6 years ago. Saw the movie as it was released the same year we studied the book and i enjoyed it.

I missed the first episode but watched episode 2 least night. There were many familiar faces- Deborah Mailman, James Stewart, Sibylla Budd and Alison Bell as well as Molly Daniels (Ellie) and Madeleine Madden (Corrie). One thing i really enjoyed was the impact on the parents. The show is exploring what the parents of the kids and the other detainee's have to go through. Even though it's about the kids im glad we are getting another perspective, especially from established actors such as Deborah Mailman. 

I also enjoyed the dynamic between the characters, in particular the friendships and the tensions between some characters. There is a variation in the lengths they will go to in order to survive or help a friend survive in these extreme circumstances, which is being well played by the young cast.

So far i enjoyed the movie more -probably because the story and the characters were more familiar 

I will tune in next week to see whats next. I look forward to seeing some key moments from the book that i remember, as well as some good gradual character development that is sometimes hard to achieve in movies.

Spoiler alert ^ I'm really enjoying it, I only read the first book and seen the movie, there's a few things annoying me about the tv series like the kids TV dialogue and the small budget issues, but I really like the heart the tv series has that the film lacked. Also thought the film was a bit too americanised. 

• 2 weeks later...

Over half way now, and the changes they've made [from either the book or the movie] continue to be for the  most part a good thing. Will admit that i will fooled by the enemy soldier who was supposedly gone AWOL. Liked how this series has included the Hermit's hut ......but know that there's no way they could have done that in the film.

Overall, still muchlly enjoying this adaptation.  

Archived