If Pippa had stayed?

j.laur5

I too would be curious to know the reasons behind the decision to move Travis and Rebecca into that role. I agree that Pippa's departure (as much as I couldn't stand Pippa #2) was a real turning point for the show. She was a staple for the show for the years - while Travis and Rebecca replaced her and worked well, they only stayed for another 18 months or so, before they were replaced by Joel and Natalie, who lasted less than a year as the central couple (although I get feeling it was neither David or Antoinette's decision to leave).

Despite the shift from Pippa to both Nash couples, it remained "classic" Home and Away for another two years. It was the massive cast turnover and instability over 1999-2000 (which included the departures of long-term characters like Marilyn, Sam and Ailsa), the loss of the Diner and the Stewart house and the change of direction to more edgier storylines that really made Home and Away feel like a completely different show, not the departure of Pippa.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm close to giving up on 2016 H&A. They have the chance to bring back Pippa, Shannon and Hayley if they want (not bothered about Hayley but I know others are) and I just know they won't. They don't care about the past. I don't think I can hold on with the show much longer and it's said because it seems now all there is are memories of the old H&A.

No, I don't think Pippa should have been recast, so im glad they didn't. I think the show would have changed still.

True Edward, I watch H&A The Early Years on 7TWO and it is better, they have an opportunity to bring back fostering and they wont, I would love for the Theme Song to come back as well, but, I might write to the producers.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

Vanessa could have returned as Pippa in 1998 when Debra left. Maybe have her dye her hair burgundy like Debra. Ness and Debra did have similar facial features. They could have had a gap of a few months where Pippa went to visit Danny and then return played by Vanessa again.

From what I've seen Summer Bay House didn't feel right after Pippa left until the Sutherlands arrived. They sort of bridged the gap between Pippa and the show returning to its roots with Sally moving back in there.

On 23/12/2016 at 1:26 AM, Homeandawayfan. said:

Vanessa could have returned as Pippa in 1998 when Debra left. Maybe have her dye her hair burgundy like Debra. Ness and Debra did have similar facial features. They could have had a gap of a few months where Pippa went to visit Danny and then return played by Vanessa again.

Returning with Christopher as a 16 year old :P

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What was Carol Willisee, the original actress to be cast as Pippa, doing in 1998? 

She supposedly left the role because the producers couldn't accommodate her requests (shorter work days and school holidays off, so she could spent time with her children!), but by then, her children would have been a decade older.. Carol passed away a few years ago though

Archived