Debra Lawrance article on TV Tonight.

Natasha

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shows changed because culture and society has. What this generation experience is very different to wHat twenty odd years ago. She may just mean shows different as in how she would fit in. As a cast and production, scripts, tone etc. Is completely different. 

I have to agree with Debra, in fact, I recently commented on this myself.

http://www.backtothebay.net/forum/topic/32812-irene-roberts-lynne-mcgranger/?do=findComment&comment=1380597

Anyway, back to Irene. I've been thinking about her alcoholism and how she stayed sober for so long, which was probably helped by the lack of a licensed premises in the show's regular sets. From what I gathered it was a fair way to the nearest pub, which does make you wonder why so many tourists came to Summer Bay really, as most adults like a drink on holiday. It really does highlight a key difference between Home and Away of the 90s and now. In the 80s, Alf had his bottle shop and throughout the show we'd see people having a beer and occasionally wine or champagne for weddings, but I always thought it was strange that Home and Away never had a pub or bar which was a staple of other soaps. The show would have alcoholics though and I wonder if they deliberately didn't include one because they wanted to show Summer Bay as a safe haven for the foster kids, away from their troubled parents, with many having had drink problems. It's only since 2004 that we've had a regular bar set, although since Angelo's opened it's been primarily a restaurant, but we see people more often now turning to alcohol to resolve their problems.

On 4/10/2016 at 9:53 PM, Luke39 said:

Shows changed because culture and society has. What this generation experience is very different to wHat twenty odd years ago. She may just mean shows different as in how she would fit in. As a cast and production, scripts, tone etc. Is completely different. 

I'm not sure about that. I agree that culture and society changes and does evolve with time but I don't think that relates to changing the format of H&A. Summer Bay is still supposed to be the same Australian seaside town a good way from the city -  towns like these in Australia realistically don't really change all that much.

It's the writers/producers who have decided to concentrate on specific types of characters and scenarios that wouldn't realistically take place so prominently in a small town. Of course you could argue that it's always been fantasy because it's a TV show and fake, but at least it used to be really relatable at the same time as being far fetched. And it still focused on the lighthearted Aussie spirit/uplifting and poignant aspects of life. That's become quite rare these days in H&A.

15 hours ago, alexx said:

I'm not sure about that. I agree that culture and society changes and does evolve with time but I don't think that relates to changing the format of H&A. Summer Bay is still supposed to be the same Australian seaside town a good way from the city -  towns like these in Australia realistically don't really change all that much.

It's the writers/producers who have decided to concentrate on specific types of characters and scenarios that wouldn't realistically take place so prominently in a small town. Of course you could argue that it's always been fantasy because it's a TV show and fake, but at least it used to be really relatable at the same time as being far fetched. And it still focused on the lighthearted Aussie spirit/uplifting and poignant aspects of life. That's become quite rare these days in H&A.

But the problem is people now in 2016 want to watch Drama and Action at 7pm not family soap.

But H&A has felt like same show to me even though it no longer focuses on foster children. 

I agree with Debra, if a former H&A star says it is a totally different show then yes. I get a bit tired of the "H&A has moved on" or "H&A cannot live in the past" repsonses when it has become a totally differnet show to what it was 20 years ago. It is as depressing as EastEnders, both shows are the most morbid shows on TV. Corrie, Emmerdale and Neighbours are watchable.

7 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I agree with Debra, if a former H&A star says it is a totally different show then yes. I get a bit tired of the "H&A has moved on" or "H&A cannot live in the past" repsonses when it has become a totally differnet show to what it was 20 years ago. It is as depressing as EastEnders, both shows are the most morbid shows on TV. Corrie, Emmerdale and Neighbours are watchable.

Well I disagree im.enjoying h and a atm. I.think.two povs. That ppl who are enjoying h and a for the current and now. And the other its morbid and depressing! Haha. I think both are valid in reason. It is a totally different show. But different aint bad. I just think the overall production and tone of the show has shifted since she was last on. New cast etc. One thing that has not changed is the location. I think.either some are no intent that it's so different , get stubborn to The ideal its completely unrecognizable. The others enjoying a different show set in a 2016 setting. Personally I watch as the aussie lifestyle appeals me. Too much crime over the years. But diminished lately. Its not perfect atm. But I've enjoyed the established Teen Group etc. The Foster aspect etc. But thats just me. I dont have such deep expectations.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/04/2016 at 9:53 PM, Luke39 said:

It really, really wasn't. People still had modern technology: the internet, mobile phones, game consoles etc. They just weren't as technologically advanced. If you had said 50 years ago i'd agree.

• 3 months later...

Archived