1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 29 March 2017 at 10:26 AM, chair said:

I'm not sure if this is a spoiler or not as I don't know where the storyline has got to by the finale. I'm up to episode 1809.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm wondering if Sally and Jack's relationship was a casualty of the rewrites at the time. They seemed to go to a lot of trouble to put them together.

I am trying to inquire into whether there was a batch of these rewrites around the time of Dodge's disappearance (death?) and the surprise appearance of Quinn Jackson as Alf's daughter.

Does anyone out there have any definitive and authoritative answers to these questions:

Why was Dodge's body never found (if he did die) and if he didn't die, why wasn't there ever any news of his arrest on the outstanding charges in relation to "mud"'s murder and kidnapping of Kelly?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally made it through the last three weeks or so of 1995.Shannon's insistence that Curtis was stalking Selina continued to frustrate, and worse there was no apology, climbdown or resolution at all.We get a scene of Selina telling Curtis she knows it wasn't him, after which Shannon and Curtis are back hanging out as if nothing happened.(By the way, I've an odd feeling ITV cut the brief sequence of Jeremy leaping the fence, meaning UK viewers initially only saw Curtis running away like the girls did until we suddenly saw that he was chasing someone.)

Ditto the departure of Quinn and Alf's complete non-reaction to it.They have that argument, he tells Ailsa he's going to give her another chance, he races to the wharf in a failed attempt to stop her leaving (and apparently doesn't think of catching up with her in the city)...then next episode he's in the Diner acting as if nothing's happened.Steven seems to be missing Quinn more than him!

Ah, Saul Bennett.They don't make villains like him anymore.Intelligence, charm and an ability to be spectacularly creepy.He's either very good at spotting an opening or we're looking at more slightly psychic characters, because he seemed to know more about Selina than he should, picking up on her as someone who'd had a strange experience.Slight continuity error in Selina recognising Saul's car: It feels like it was meant to be the same vehicle as the previous night but it clearly wasn't.Must be her being psychic again.Loved Marilyn's side of their phone conversation ("Yes, I am perfectly fulfilled!"). And an oblique reference to Fin having a new boyfriend which is probably going to be significant...

Chloe's return really hammered home to me what a tragic character she is, although she's got a few good times coming up and she and Curtis are rather sweet.Plus Kathy Wilson, who I had a bit of a crush on back at the day.

I'd almost forgotten Dylan had leukaemia, so him going into remission was kind of out of the blue.And as for the cliffhanger...wasn't that actually Shane's fault?I dunno, maybe the car was speeding, but he seemed to pull right out in front of it.

Sorry I'm so behind everyone else but this Saul storyline is pants. I've only seen the beginning of it but are we supposed to believe that Selina would be tricked by someone who was more creepy than Murdoch? Feels very much like a 'we don't know what to write' kind of story, just thrown in there. I love Alex though.

• Dan F unpinned this topic
  • 5 weeks later...

Well... The Rumours of my Demise have been GREATLY EXAGGERATED!

I was so out of step with TEY, I dared not show my face here til I caught up

The Hulk's Home, Baby!

And Now... Iiiit's time once again... For that BIG HULKING REVIEW: HOMECOMING Edition!

JULY

Great stuff with Bert. Glad The Flames and Flathead patched things up.  It's a bird, It's a plane, It's Supa-Angel! Coming for to rescue a drowning Shannon, yet still carrying on like a righteous bitch. As for Angel and Modelling story, She's too sexy for this show, too sexy for this, show too sexy for this show so sexy it hurts! She does make a great model (which funnily enough Melissa did after she left, a Nightie line).  Ick, Murdoch (A Certain User's favorite character who can apparently do no wrong >_>),  Where the Hell's Chris Hansen when you need him?! :D 

Ailsa going crackers... She did that fair bit in the latter half of the 90s, didn't she

AUGUST

The Stalker stuff was pretty powerful, The Clown on the car just came off more hilarious than scary!:lol: Yes, I'm going to hell.  Nice use of location filming at Australia's wonderland. The bastard Max, biffing Chloe around...

Stevo/Mazza. Can you blame the guy? She is pretty nice at this point and looked damn good in that self defence outfit where they were rolling about together (martial practice).

Paul's unmasking and campaign of terror against The Parrishes should have been AFI/AWGIE nominated. Ramsay, Melissa, Isla, Dieter and little Corey were all en pointe in that episode. Glad Angel finally dropped her little grudge. Coupled with Murdoch getting What for when he tried to get in Selina's bed! Man, Reenie looked so scary in that scene, WWE's Undertaker would have ran away!

The Leukemia story arc was a pretty good one although it was unnerving seeing Angel come off almost unstable (I understand his kid is sick)

Ugh, Heather. God she was annoying, Thank god she didn't stay more than 3 eps. Sal probably would have crowned her. I'm glad Nelson grew some balls and called her bluff when she threatened to jump. If wanting to slap her was Sarah Monahan's mission, she accomplished it!

The Saviour sibling thing... Just as well that didn't come to fruition. That would have had to have been the LAST option for Angel to roll around with that animal again. The only time I've seen that happen in soap was Andy/Debbie in Emmerdale in order to save Sarah's life, which put strain on the relationships and had Andy catching feelings.

Rad, oh lord. What is it with 1995 and the revolving door of scumbags? Hale and his cronies must have been down the Yabbie Creek donut shop half the time. :D Well, we knew what he was made of when he left Jack (who at worst is in idiot) to die, and I think it comes out of a chicken!:angry: That said the Bushfire deserved the award it got, one of the deepest eps of the year. Jack knew he done F***ed up. There were like 3-4 eps where Nelson flashbacks afterwards that really sold it. Jack just became the town pariah after this and the way Michael took him to rub his nose in it was especially powerful. I don't think Michael wanted rid of Jack per se despite being Angry, I reckon the money stunt was a test of character. The discovery of Mud... Shannon already been through a lot, flashbacks to being molested by a perv, only to find another dead in the bush! Guess she was the writers lightning rod for a bit.

The possum bit, kind of made me laugh. Sal, it was hardly  "hardcore gangsta rap" but that music did for it!

Damo's dreadlocked poet return.. jeez. Who does he think he is Bob Marley?! lol

While Grant and Ryan had every right to want to rip Jack's head off, there's no excuse for trashing Selina's party, with the perfume stunt. Glad Curtis stuck by him though (although Jack DID abandon him in the Lara aftermath)

SEPTEMBER

We start the month off with the Confirmation that Murdoch is dead and the two women with a recent grudge against him are in the frame but that bank statement cleared Selina.

More harrowing times for the Parrishes... "Is Disneyland in Heaven?", That's pretty much a realistic question a 5yo probably would ask.

And DOOOOOODGE is Back! Checks into the park and really gets up the noses of Pippa and Stevo within minutes! He is basically The 1995 version of Gardy! If those two teamed up, Summer Bay would be screwed. Couldn't help but laugh at the Jellybean stunt! That's the kind of stroke Gardy, and maybe Phelan on Corrie would have pulled:lol:. The 6-8 weeks he was around was fun.

Bye, Bye Nelson. Another character who has since been forgotten but his mother was remembered in 2016 (She was the original target of her and Irene's paedo Uncle).

Fisher/Charity Lady and the Jacket stunt made me laugh! I even submitted their exchanges to a few of the eps involving them on IMDB.

Mandy's arrival... God, Could Shannon be anymore obvious? I think Selina got a little vibe wasn't gonna say anything, though she was totes jealous.

The fire stunt against Jack was a step too far. People who have been Intentionally Malicious haven't been treated nearly as bad.

Kelly the workaholic...

Jack/Shannon came to nothing. I still say they should have tested it for a while, nothing heavy but then there'd still be some complications. Daniel and Isla had an underrated rapport.

Computer switcheroo capers!  I think this by far might be the the best month of the year

"Talkin' through his flamin' hat!" I wonder if Debra struggled between takes. And the only making this scene funnier is if she wearing her trademark Sunhat which is usually hung up on that hook by the front door!

I'm liking the Team of Stevo, Travis and Kelly. A great adult trio, nobody before or since bounced off each other like. Too bad that disintegrates within a year...

Beegate... Oh my! That was some scary s***! I suspect the writers were secret X-Files/Outer Limits fans! :)

OCTOBER

"MAN OVERBOARD! STOP THE BOAT!"

Tough couple weeks for Stevo that was especially with Ms Judgmental aka Irene breathing down his neck. Dodge was funny when he was like "No... Stevo, Doon't!" *splash*

Damo's back again like a boomerang. I wanted to clump him one this time round... But lucky he straightened out by the end of this stint. "Doh, so you chuck in Uni on a Whim?!" Maybe that whack from one of those hoods got some sense into him. "If you wanna play so bad, why don't you go play with YOURSELF?!" :lol::lol::lol:

I bet Old H&A Fan was probably grinding his teeth over Travis/Kelly ("How dare the dirty hippy touch the sweet doctor!") and the eventual build.

Dodge Chase week... Hoo, man. That was off the chain! The music, the pacing. Kelly was in MORTAL danger. Loved it. (Ba da ba ba ba!)  "YOU FEELIN' LUCKY, STEVO? WANNA SEE IF WE CAN FLY?!" "AAAH!" *splash*  And the line about Steven not going anywhere until they zipped up Dodge's bodybag always chilled me.

Reenie splashed out on the fancy-ass Dinner... Nice.

Sam deserved to feel the leather of somebody's belt for the fax stunt. "Stick your development where it fits You greedy power-hungry fascist"!

And we get the debut of Alex Bennett. Once again, Shannon does the whole act of not liking the guy ala Roxy and almost every other female. Alex seems like a chill kind of guy, if he'd been introduced 20yrs later, he'd have been a damn annoying hipster fedorabeard who lived in a Yurt outside Reefton Lakes listening to music nobody heard of and watched pretentious Korean foreign films! (Too much?)

The Jack/Sally build. There was always chemistry but the bed stunt... TBF, nothing happened, but Michael still went crackers (understandable, He didn't want another Sophie on his hands)

Quinn... Wasn't really sure what to make of her so I'll keep this short? While Danielle did a good job, It's safe to say she's not really missed in Alf's life.

Irene's test of faith was another great moment after the whole Steven mess.

It'd be another 14yrs before she succumbed to the demon drink again after being in a seemingly unwinnable sitch

NOVEMBER-DECEMBER

Shannon v Michael over artistic nudity... It's not like she's gonna be stripping off at the local pub while Def Leppard blares in the background!

I will admit Curtis did behave a bit of a jerk but eventually saw the error of his ways.

Angel and the stealing...Glad Maz basically stepped in and used that as leverage to get her to comply.

Knicker knicking? It's funny as a few weeks earlier Kelly caught Travis and Stevo in her room during the stake out and they got a load of her undies on the bed!  Jeremy... Bit of a saddo, wasn't he?  Don't like how Curtis got blamed for that when Selina not so long ago would have willingly surrendered them to him!

Chloe's back and destroys a Microwave in the process and unwittingly threatens to break up Jack and Sal. But IIRC, did she call it off with Jack when she ran off to find Maureen in WA? So she can't really be TOO Salty about him moving on. She and Curtis seemed like a decent fit. When Curtis left, pretty much all of his girls were present! (The ones that didn't eat an oncoming train, that is)

Bye Felicia... Sorry - Quinn! :)

Dylan/Shane/Angel/Mazza/Birds and Bees... lol

Offhand mention of Barry, who Fin apparently still with to this day. He'll be appearing later.

Final week of 1995: The SAUL factor! Man, he and Irene had the best exchanges. It's not for another few eps that he becomes  a real threat but Selina's clearly blind to the guy. Alex hates his guts. Him having fathered several other children doesn't become apparent for a while.

Drunk Fisher is one of the best incarnations of Don, last time we saw him pissed as a fart was Ben and Carly's wedding, where he was dancing with Marilyn, no less. "I may be gone sometime!" He was totally gone that night. It's funnier when straight-laced characters act the fool.

Maybe Norma WASN'T talking Mumbo Jumbo... Shane go crunch. I'm just wincing remembering that.

If this was the modern show, They'd probably alluded to a Travis/Kelly/Stevo threeway in a tongue in cheek manner!

Kelly and the HIV... Scary, first story of its kind but not the last (Leah, Robbie, Nicole)

All in all, probably THE GREATEST Season of H&A

Well, that's about 6 months worth of show and I'm off to dive into 1996!

This has been your Big Hulking Review... Coming up Next, I lumber around the forum popping up at various intervals!  :)

15 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Ick, Murdoch (A Certain User's favorite character who can apparently do no wrong >_>)

Well to be honest Captain Hulk, Selina did make a fuss about nothing at first. You can't deny that. She had it in for him the moment he set foot in Summer Bay.

Then, even though they admitted "no real damage was done" when he got into Selina's bed with Irene deceptively lying there, Irene chucked him out, and that is why I am so mad. Shoot first and don't even bother to ask questions later. And to top it all off, he is murdered and Irene and Marilyn are pretty much glad he got killed. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have NO SYMPATHY for Selina on this one. Stupid, stupid storyline. I would love to give the script producers of these episodes a damn good clip over the ear for the way they crafted the "mud" storyline:angry::angry: (Sorry Dan F for repeating myself here, but this makes me so, so mad:angry2:. Sorry!!!)

Now.......

I bet Old H&A Fan was probably grinding his teeth over Travis/Kelly ("How dare the dirty hippy touch the sweet doctor!") and the eventual build.

OH GROSSSS CaptainHulk!!:puke: It's dinnertime here in Australia and I'm trying not to throw up. Dr Kelly is a skank!! Geez........and her queasy accent. Who'd wanna screw a lard like that? Give me some credit!

Ugh, Heather. God she was annoying, Thank god she didn't stay more than 3 eps. Sal probably would have crowned her. I'm glad Nelson grew some balls and called her bluff when she threatened to jump. If wanting to slap her was Sarah Monahan's mission, she accomplished it!

Sarah's that girl from Hey Dad, she's the reason a certain Wentworth terrorist gang leader is behind bars at Goulburn Jail with a huge black mark permanently staining his good name.:angry:

Sam deserved to feel the leather of somebody's belt for the fax stunt. "Stick your development where it fits You greedy power-hungry fascist"!

It was YOU! you FLAMIN' LITTLE WRETCH. I've got a good mind to sit you down with a pencil and that HUGE STACK OF WASTED FAX PAPER until you wear your flamin' fingers down to the stumps!:lol::lol:

Knicker knicking? It's funny as a few weeks earlier Kelly caught Travis and Stevo in her room during the stake out and they got a load of her undies on the bed!

:puke: Very poor taste to even think of Kelly's knickers. Very poor taste. Eugh!!:puke:

Dylan/Shane/Angel/Mazza/Birds and Bees... lol

Ridiculous web of lies and deceit. And what would Marilyn know anyway? She's a NUN!! Grew up in an orphanage run by Holy Penguins. "Not until we've tied that knot" she said in answer to Lance asking if he could sleep with her back in '89.

Kelly and the HIV

It was never gonna happen mate. They even said her chances of getting HIV were remote enough as it is (and as if she'd have a fulfilling sex life to spread it around if in the unlikely event she did contract HIV!

Drunk Fisher is one of the best incarnations of Don, last time we saw him pissed as a fart was Ben and Carly's wedding

What about the night before Shane and Angel's wedding?

Murdoch was sent packing and while he didn't outright do anything physical, he deserved a kicking but Dodge admittedly didn't know his own strength. "That's what we do to Rockspiders like you inside, Nat says "Hello, Dad!". (Not a million miles from what probably took place)

Kelly? A Skank? What are you on? Pedigree Chum? It's not like she's offering her patients "hand relief" on the job As for the good doctor and her drawers, maybe she should have kept them in a chest of drawers instead, that said Travis and Stevo shouldn't have been pawing through them! :lol:

I have no reason to believe Monahan is lying or that was a witch hunt , we went over this. Hughes got picked up in London, extradited, trialed with a F*** ton of complaints stretching back about quarter of a century or more and was convicted. He wouldn't stop his s*** even after the hints (pee in his shampoo, kicking hard as she could during filming, blueberries on his new car) End of. Plus, I read Morale on that show went to hell  in its final days, Ben Oxenbould, while not a victim, reportedly tried his damndest to get fired but it backfired and got him a raise. Anyway, back to her H&A character, I realize that ITV cut the entire second scene where Heather was about to jump with Pippa, Jack, Nelson and Shane watching.

Oh, yeah. He did get pretty tanked up that night but his inebriation levels were highest on the other two occasions.

As for the AIDS thing, tell that people in small towns with backward mindsets but also there's that fear for the victims.

Archived