1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She is mentioned in 2004 (episode 3858) after Alf finds out he had a son and Ric is his grandson: "I had nothing to do with my son's upbringing, or my grandson's. They both turned out bad just like Duncan. Roo and Quinn weren't far behind them either".

Celia mentions her in episode 4000 when Alf says Roo and Barbara are missing from the family photo on his birthday.

It's possible there have been other mentions too.

Just made it through 14 episodes up to 1821, so just over a week behind. Well, I'm glad Irene apologised to Steven for her vendetta against him, even if it did fall on deaf ears.Shame that the show then tried to make her out to be a victim.She deserved every word that Alf and Don said to her and I wish that all the people who leapt to her defence had been so quick to defend Steven.I know Alf's not the Rosses' favourite person at the moment but it was slightly worrying that none of the teens could think of a nice word to say about Alf when Quinn questioned them.Ah yes, Quinn.I liked her at first but her characterisation seems to be all over the place.I guess she's just very messed up.As I alluded to earlier, Alf mentions her around 1997: Possibly not by name, but he talks about how his daughter got in touch with him a couple of years ago and he couldn't give her what she wanted.Ailsa's intuition strikes again: It feels like we're meant to be nodding in agreement with her, but her refusal to give the benefit of the doubt to people that she's taken a dislike to for no good reason actually just makes her seem judgemental.

Irene obviously learned nothing from her treatment of Steven, since immediately after she's doing the same to Curtis, labelling him an abusive partner.He has been a jerk at times, although he actually seems to be over it now and no-one's giving him a chance.Bit surprising that Shannon's so quick to turn on him, to the point of getting in Selina's ear every time she looks like softening.Jack does at least seem to be aware that this is someone they're meant to be friends with, while Selina seems to switch between open-minded and judgemental at random.I must have completely missed Jeremy's first two episodes the first time round (he's actually first seen at the debate Selina leads in Episode 1817).

When he was unveiled as the stalker, my reaction was "Who are you?"

The volleyball incident was a bit odd.My first reaction was that Curtis was hitting the ball aggressively out of frustration and didn't actually mean to hit Selina, but watching the recording it looks as though Steven was right that it was a split second thing.

Well, Michael and Pippa definitely seem to have relaxed their views on age gap relationships.It's strange that there's been almost no mention of the fact that Alex is obviously a lot older than Shannon, as if no-one thinks it's a big deal.Selina asking if he has a brother for her is rather hilarious when you stop and think about what's coming up.And Alex's talk about his parents even considering letting him go to carol service feels like a lie given his background, but maybe he meant foster parents or something.Of course, Michael and Pippa seem to have switched their taboo to foster siblings dating.The fact that Michael basically made the same offer to Sally that Pippa made to Sophie makes everyone acting as though this has never happened before more than a little strange.

Talking of strange...what was all that stuff with Kelly's sister about?Was it meant to bring her to some sort of realisation about Travis, given that they get together not long afterwards?(Which did actually feel organic, unlike his random pair-up with Donna.)Either way, seems like another obscure relative that gets forgotten about hereafter, I had no memory of Kelly even having a sister which if she's only in two episodes probably isn't surprising.

So I'm watching Don and Marilyn for the second time and...I still don't get it. It just doesn't come across as a romance at all.I know there was the whole thing about Don wanting to take her to the theatre but it just felt like him being lonely and fancying company.Still, Remains of the Day mention!I studied that for A-level a few years later...

11 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

It's strange to think but watching Chloe in the 1995 episode you realise she is younger than what Olivia is in the current ones. 

Well, that depends on whether the current episodes have admitted that Olivia should be older than 16 by now.But in theory, yes.

16 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

It's strange to think but watching Chloe in the 1995 episode you realise she is younger than what Olivia is in the current ones. 

Also interesting to think that just last week Chloe moved in with Irene - and this week on the current show her daughter is planning to move out of Irene's.

It's really exciting to see Saul - but scary. This is already such an engaging storyline and I can't wait to see more. First time round I only saw the second half of the story, so it's interesting seeing it actually develop. I can see why Selina's getting sucked in.

Kelly continues to annoy me: complaining because Travis doesn't want her to pay the rent, that Travis isn't doing his job properly, that she's an ice maiden etc. She just seems very immature and looking for drama. It's interesting that the show is acknowledging she has these neuroses - while still being a healthy person - but it doesn't make her a very endearing character.

I like Kelly and Travis - I think they're an interesting couple. I'm glad that Travis doesn't just bow down though, Kelly's quite a 'modern' woman who would fit quite comfortably into today's society but I'm glad that they haven't written Travis to just do as she commands. It's good to explore this sort of chalk and cheese relationship because I do think they've got an obvious chemistry and I like watching them work out their dynamic together.

Love the Saul story, I'm already hooked. Obviously I saw this the first time around but it's all quite fresh to me because it's been so long.

Archived