1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

20 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Um...... a paedophile is a man who ****s underage kids. Selina was not underage. She was old enough for Irene to give Curtis and Selina her blessing to do the exact same thing as "mud" was trying to do. What makes "mud" a paedophile and Curtis not? Hm?

Considering you put it so nicely, I'll make a correction. Paedophile, no. Selina was 16, which to my knowledge was the age of consent back in the 90s (as it is now), however I can't believe you could draw a comparison between the unwanted advances of a middle aged sleaze and a consenting long-term relationship between two adolescents of a similar age. Your logic continues to astound me.

17 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

Is he a paedophile? Pervert maybe but not paedophile.

Apologies, you are correct. Pervert fits much better :wink:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can't believe you could draw a comparison between the unwanted advances of a middle aged sleaze

It's age discrimination for starters. Selina is old enough to get pregnant. She is old enough for Irene to give her and Curtis her blessing, she is old enough to not be considered a "child". "Middle-aged" men tend to be the target of prejudiced slurs like "pervert" and "pedophile" whether innocent or not, from judgmental people insistent on imposing their sense of taste on the rest of the world. 

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Considering you put it so nicely

Seeing as you wish to be pedantic about this, how am I supposed to put it then? Do I say, 'a pedophile is someone who likes underage kids?' What "nice" way is there of putting it?

51 minutes ago, Old H&A Fan said:

It's age discrimination for starters. Selina is old enough to get pregnant. She is old enough for Irene to give her and Curtis her blessing, she is old enough to not be considered a "child". "Middle-aged" men tend to be the target of prejudiced slurs like "pervert" and "pedophile" whether innocent or not, from judgmental people insistent on imposing their sense of taste on the rest of the world.

You're correct. Selina is old enough ... Old enough to know when she feels uncomfortable when someone cracks onto her. "Middle-aged" men only tend to be the target of your so-called "prejudiced slurs" when they've done something wrong. Donald and Alf aren't subjected to them. :)

Let's face it, if Irene were to crack onto Curtis, she'd cop the same backlash - "cougar", "cradle-snatcher" and I'd be as equally disgusted if she had continued advancing Curtis after making it plainly obvious he didn't like it. This isn't a discrimination thing. This is a matter of principles and morals.

5 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

Selina's also old enough to say no and that's what Murdoch did wrong, taking no notice of her wishes and doing things that he knew made her uncomfortable for his own pleasure.

That's not education, Maddy. That's laying down the Law. Those are the RULES and that is that. You will buckle down, and YOU WILL OBEY, or you will suffer the wrath of the Dragon Lady down at the sex discrimination shaming office.

"Feeling uncomfortable" implies a mere difference of personality, and having to be around someone you simply "don't like" makes you feel "uncomfortable" I mean ......

"I just don't feel comfortable around him" sounds like "I just don't like him, because I just don't".
Why don't you like him?
"Coz I just don't! ........ it's ....... I dunno...... it's just a feeling that I have, you know..... he's kinda creepy, y'know????"
What do you mean creepy?
"The way he looks at me, the way he walks, the way he talks, the way he acts. Kinda creepy, like. Know what I mean?"
I still don't get it.
"Forget it......you wouldn't understand"
No, tell me!
"JUST DROP IT, OK?"
This isn't getting us anywhere.
{insert expletive-ridden interjections here} as Selina runs off in a tantrum.
{Questioner shrugs.....}
{End of conversation}

Oh, we're back on this again despite my previous warning, that's nice.

Before we move on, a hypothetical situation for you Old H&A Fan:

You're a 16 year old male, a middle aged man makes it clear that he is sexually interested in you. He deliberately walks in on you when he knows you're getting undressed, then again when he knows you're naked as you're stepping out the shower (still see it as 'just a laugh'?). He creeps around outside your bedroom window, and you repeatedly make it clear you're not interested. Then when he knows you're alone in bed, he comes in and tries to slip under the covers with you saying he'd like to "get to know you better". That would be OK with you would it? You'd just say "Sure thing, hop in"... ?

In reality, whether the other person is male, female, young or old, the situation is the same - if you're not interested, they should leave you alone.

6 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

That's not education, Maddy.

His name is Matt (but you knew that already)

Archived