1995 Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jeremai said:

John's character profile calls him "a newcomer to Summer Bay" which would imply he wasn't around in 1995, but I wasn't watching the show when he arrived so I'm not sure exactly what was said.

It's been a bit confused.There are plenty of references to John having spent time away from the Bay (his time in the navy, when he was with Shandi's mother) and the Palmers were only meant to have been in town six months or so in 2009, having moved there to give Trey a fresh start after being bullied at his previous school.But the show has muddied the waters a bit by showing John as having a long-standing rivalry with his counterparts at other surf clubs, leading to speculation that he'd lived in the Bay before.On the other hand, John recently mentioned that he was still with Gina when he first met Marilyn, which would seem to preclude him being in town during her earlier stints.

10 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It's been a bit confused.There are plenty of references to John having spent time away from the Bay (his time in the navy, when he was with Shandi's mother) and the Palmers were only meant to have been in town six months or so in 2009, having moved there to give Trey a fresh start after being bullied at his previous school.But the show has muddied the waters a bit by showing John as having a long-standing rivalry with his counterparts at other surf clubs, leading to speculation that he'd lived in the Bay before.On the other hand, John recently mentioned that he was still with Gina when he first met Marilyn, which would seem to preclude him being in town during her earlier stints.

Marilyn's amnesia story would also suggest that she didn't know John prior to 1996, but then there were a lot of residents in the small town of Summer Bay that only Alf or later Colleen would know about when others came into contact with them. It's possible that John was in the Navy until at least 1992, maybe returned for a year or two to sell up and departed in late 1995 without coming into contact with Marilyn, especially if he lived on the outskirts of the Bay and was nearer Yabbie Creek. 

I've just watched the bee sting episode and I'd forgotten how eerie it was.I also had to laugh at the scene in the store with Curtis and Selina behind the counter because if this happened in the current show they'd be tearing each others clothes off.

It's ended on some quite good cliffhangers.

Selina's reaction to Shannon and Mandy's relationship.

Dodge framing Stevo for his death (how stupid can Irene be?)

Selina coping with her near-death experience (those effects were pretty good for their time. I wonder if they got the same people in who did Bobby's fridge? There's no mention of a special effects team in the closing credits).

The Ross/Stewart feud.

The Dodge storyline is highly enjoyable but he's being a bit two-dimensional unfortunately. I'd like to see some more dialogue about his past in the Bay, and friendship with Steven, instead of vague references to Phil's death. And the complete lack of Sally/Dodge acknowledgement is criminal.

Shannon and Mandy's relationship is being very sensitively written. I actually like that it's a bit subtle and vague, because it focuses more on Shannon as a character instead of "this storyline is about gay issues". Having said that, I didn't like Mandy's talk with Shannon in the Surf Club where she said "if this is a path you want to go down, you have to be absolutely sure before you do it". I don't agree with that at all. If someone feels a need to experiment with their sexuality they should be able to without feeling like they're making a major life choice. It's really no big deal. But the storyline has good intentions so I'll give it that, and like I said for the most part it's being very sensitively written.

I like the Stewart/Ross feud because for once Pippa's not actually sitting on the fence and is taking sides! :o

Katrina Hobbs (Kelly) has started to settle into the role now. Her acting was a bit dodgy the first couple of weeks. I like the way she has been supporting Steven through the Dodge stuff, moreso than Pippa, Sally, or anyone else who should have been! She was funny when she was distracting Dodge outside the caravan park. Her facial expressions every time he turned around :lol:

Elizabeth Clark/Doris Peters' death was sad. I think this coupled with her own near death experience is going to have a big effect on her. The actual scene itself was dramatic and very unusual.

Archived