H&A to move to 7TWO?

dee123

Well, that would be a dumb idea, but given both 7 and 9 are more interested in sabotaging each other by pitting like for like shows against each other, than in what their viewers want, it wouldn’t surprise me if they did do this. I’d like to think after their latest attempt to blunt 9 with Restaurant Revolution failed spectacularly, they’d be doing as 10 have done and offer variety instead of like-for-like, but 7 have made a few missteps lately. They've doubled up on episodes of drama, often not starting til after 9pm and have lost a lot of viewers as a result. With H&A, they've doubled, tripled and even quadrupled up on some nights and it becomes too much.

Ratings have definitely dropped off this year, but not just for H&A. 7's news, reality (except for MKR) and dramas aren't rating as high this year, while 9 and even 10 with some shows, have improved. A Current Affair is rating higher this year while H&A has dropped in the same timeslot. <800 000 is the norm, with Mondays one of the worst, when not that long ago, it and Tuesdays were the strongest and guaranteed 1mil+. It's not just because the Braxtons are gone as the ratings were sliding even during their dominance. I just think in the past, H&A really has benefited from a strong lead in and a strong follow up show and without those either side of it, it's really dropped off. It's a flow on effect. 9's news has improved, boosted ACA while the opposite has happened for 7, which I'm sure is galling to 7, hence probably why they want to copy 9.

The most obvious solution, would be to go back to ½ hour of news, since they have to add fluff pieces to make up the hour anyway, followed by Today Tonight at 6.30 and H&A, but it all depends on what is more important. Under cutting 9 or their viewers. Unfortunately, not so sure 7 always puts the viewers first. A Place To Call Home rated well for 7, yet they axed it because it wasn't pulling in the right demos and was skewing too old, which isn't where advertising dollars are. H&A is not only down in ratings, it is often out of all of the demos more often than not. Weird thing is, 10 shows often rate lower, yet they pick up in the demos and that is what advertisers look for. A Place To Call Home was also more expensive to make and it might come down to what is easier and cheaper - Today Tonight with it’s overinflated dramas or working to overturn H&A slide. Common theme of complaint about H&A I'm seeing on other sites, including rating sites, is the unlikeable and bland characters and endless rinse/repeat of romance and life/death storylines. The ads don’t help. One life and death struggle after another and since they film so far ahead, if people aren’t interested now, it will be harder to draw them back further down the line if changes do eventually happen. Really do think they dug a very big hole for themselves the last few years with the way they allowed the show to be dominated by a few characters and have become so reliant on big, explosive or life and death storylines. Not to mention how Louise and Lucy seemed happy to alienate viewers who didn't jump aboard the Braxton train. Balance was all most people asked for, yet it was sadly lacking and now it may be too late to arrest the slide, unless 7 really want to put in the effort.

If ratings for 7 and especially H&A don't improve in the 6 to 7.30pm timeslot, then if not this year, then I reckon within two years, 7 will push H&A to digital, regardless of any viewer outrage.

Personally, I think looking at the TV guide makes for rather depressing reading these days unless you love endless news/current affairs/reality/factuals and not much else and it's so disappointing that Australian drama is being reduced so much, especially when we have so many talented writers and actors.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 and 9, would be the equivalent of BBC1 and ITV here, wouldn't they? (Two most watched Broadcast/Network/Terrestrial channels)

Correct. Ten in it's heyday was like Channel 4. Now it's um... who knows to be honest.

I think this is a make-or-break time for the show and its future. They seriously need a drastic overhaul and bring it back to its core values of family and community. And integrate the characters - have Kyle and Alf share some scenes. Have Phoebe spend some time at Summer Bay House. Bring these characters together. They have really isolated a lot of the characters and made little cliques that it hardly feels genuine when they do the 'Summer Bay pulls together' routine when there is some big disaster. It feels forced and fake.

Definitely think they need to dial way back on the crime and major disaster elements. They have overshadowed the show. Bring in some diversity - the hot, white/tanned beach stereotype is no longer reflective of Australia. We're a multicultural nation; if Home and Away is indeed Australia's #1 drama, it should reflect that. 

I think a new family is definitely needed. Perhaps one with same sex parents? Or with a gay teenager? 

I also think some existing characters need to go - I genuinely think, as much as I love Irene/Lynne, that her time is almost up. I've never been a Chris/Johnny fan, so I'd get rid of him too. I'd really love to see Kyle/Phoebe actually make a serious go of things and not break up every other week - the same for other relationships: give them a real go, rather than the constant breakups and bed hopping. 

Just some off the top of the head thoughts, but I can see why Seven would be considering moving H&A to 7TWO. Almost 30 years is a long time for any show and perhaps H&A is nearing its natural end. 

Is 7TWO aimed at an older demographic? 

Yes. In Australia on cable TV there is a channel called UKTV. You can probably guess what they screen. In my house we call 7TWO "UKTV for free" :lol: Both channels show stuff like: A Touch Of Frost, Escape To The Country, Lewis, Vera, Bargain Hunt, Judge John Deed, Inspector Morse etc... I think you get the point.

right, well scripted, well acted, engaging human drama.

Maybe there hope for home and away yet if it does move. Sounds like it would lessen the desperate attempt to appeal to a very fickle demographic  that has been the shows driving force in recent years .

But many of us have had more than enough of the current state of the show.

Could Home And Away be off air before its 30th anniversary in January 2018? I doubt it but I wont be surprised if they do move it to a graveyard channel like they did with Neighbours. People predicted the end of Neighbours when it moved to Eleven.

Maybe they could carry on until the 30th and end it at the 30th, a feature length movie where Sally returns and buys Summer Bay House, a Fletcher member moves into the house, also Sally is accompanied by Chris, Tom's blood son and his new male partner. There is a new headmaster who puts the frighteners up Pippa Jnr. That would be a perfect goodbye to the show and it will feel like H&A has gone full circle. Then again people said in 2012/2013 that maybe the 30th of Neighbours would be a good way to say goodbye to the show. It is still sailing on.

Personally im enjoying home and away right now. I see no issue with the show. Change is the only constant. I dont a full circle moment in the future. But if H a A hypothetically flags on this network too. Could be susceptible to axing after nearly thirty years, and call it a day. 

• 2 weeks later...

If we're using Neighbours as the prototype, maybe this could be the best thing for Home and Away. Neighbours has only gotten better since it moved, and it might be because it's kind of "hidden" on a secondary channel. They've been pushing boundaries that Home and Away won't even approach.  If they put it in direct opposition to Neighbours though, which I suspect they will, because networks are jerks like that, I'm sticking with Neighbours. (And maybe watching Chris eps online.) 

Archived