Braxtons Love them or Hate them?

kmp1963

Braxtons, Love them or hate them.  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me there isn't a simple answer to this question.

I liked the introduction of the River Boys as a surf gang coming from Mangrove River, a generic place where residents didn't enjoy the idyllic life, privileges and advantages of Summer Bay. Mangrove River was that place where people came from to Summer Bay seeking a better life. I could see Aden, Belle etc. coming from Mangrove River or its equivalent.

I liked the way that the gang stuck together in the face of what they saw as a world which was against them and not prepared to give them a fair go. The "Band of Brothers" illustrated this. I understood the criminal component as illustrating the feeling of some from this place that it was the only way they were ever going to get access to some of the wealth and advantages. I also understood their attitude to the police. Many of our laws protect property. Property is predominantly held by the advantaged sections of society. ie Summer Bay Disadvantaged people ( ie people from Mangrove River ) generally don't have much property worth protecting. If they resort to criminal behaviour they see the police as the enemy standing in the way of what they see as the only way available to them to access that advantage.

This contrast hasn't always been well written. I think that the crime and violence portrayed ended up being much more than was required to illustrate the contrast between the advantage of Summer Bay and the disadvantage of Mangrove River. At times it became gratuitous.

I don't think the actions of police were always well written either. Some people should have been hauled into court and sentenced. But alongside that there should have been some community policing. Where were the Police Boys clubs, the diversion programs etc. The problems of disadvantage can't be solved simply by throwing people into jail.

I would like to have seen much more exploration of the family backgrounds of the Braxtons, Barretts etc. so we could understood the disrupted family backgrounds, the struggles to make ends meet, the poor attitudes to education that appeared to have been fostered at Mangrove River High School.

I apologise for the long post but this is the area I have worked in.

In summary, I like the introduction of the River Boys and Mangrove River as an illustration of a world which contrasts with the idyllic life of Summer Bay. Australian society isn't all Summer Bay. I hope it continues.

I would like to see a more balanced approach to the portrayal of crime and policing.

I would also like to see much more of the work of community people such as Alf, Irene and Leah doing their bit to provide a community bridge between the advantage of Summer Bay and the disadvantage of Mangrove River.

I'd be on the "love" side for the characters themselves, but I hate the way the "River Boys" were introduced as a roving horde of trouble-makers with vaguely intimidating gang tattoos and a blanket hatred for common civility. It still makes me cringe to think of the Braxtons as part of such a shameless, stereotyped, attention grabbing, media-panic-inspired gimmick when they turned out to be such complex, well-acted individuals. I know a few people who could come from Mangrove River - they live about a kilometer away from my privileged Summer Bay style street - and while we have had very different life experiences, we are life-long friends because we have a mutual respect for each other as human beings. We all went to the same schools and no, the entire education system didn't fall apart because some kids were more or less advantaged than others. The Mangrove River/Summer Bay High merger was incredibly insulting, and I think it's part of the reason I still can't take to Matt, even though so many other people have embraced him and I can completely understand why they would. I think he just reminds me too much of a storyline that utterly disgusted me. But I digress. Braxtons = love, "River Boys" = hate.

I thought topics of this nature were verboten on account of how people start arguments and bully other users of the forum?

Besides that, hasn't it been said numerous times in numerous threads what people think of the Braxtons, good or bad? I can't believe that anything new could be added to the debate about this set of characters.

For me there isn't a simple answer to this question.

I liked the introduction of the River Boys as a surf gang coming from Mangrove River, a generic place where residents didn't enjoy the idyllic life, privileges and advantages of Summer Bay. Mangrove River was that place where people came from to Summer Bay seeking a better life. I could see Aden, Belle etc. coming from Mangrove River or its equivalent.

I liked the way that the gang stuck together in the face of what they saw as a world which was against them and not prepared to give them a fair go. The "Band of Brothers" illustrated this. I understood the criminal component as illustrating the feeling of some from this place that it was the only way they were ever going to get access to some of the wealth and advantages. I also understood their attitude to the police. Many of our laws protect property. Property is predominantly held by the advantaged sections of society. ie Summer Bay Disadvantaged people ( ie people from Mangrove River ) generally don't have much property worth protecting. If they resort to criminal behaviour they see the police as the enemy standing in the way of what they see as the only way available to them to access that advantage.

This contrast hasn't always been well written. I think that the crime and violence portrayed ended up being much more than was required to illustrate the contrast between the advantage of Summer Bay and the disadvantage of Mangrove River. At times it became gratuitous.

I don't think the actions of police were always well written either. Some people should have been hauled into court and sentenced. But alongside that there should have been some community policing. Where were the Police Boys clubs, the diversion programs etc. The problems of disadvantage can't be solved simply by throwing people into jail.

I would like to have seen much more exploration of the family backgrounds of the Braxtons, Barretts etc. so we could understood the disrupted family backgrounds, the struggles to make ends meet, the poor attitudes to education that appeared to have been fostered at Mangrove River High School.

I apologise for the long post but this is the area I have worked in.

In summary, I like the introduction of the River Boys and Mangrove River as an illustration of a world which contrasts with the idyllic life of Summer Bay. Australian society isn't all Summer Bay. I hope it continues.

I would like to see a more balanced approach to the portrayal of crime and policing.

I would also like to see much more of the work of community people such as Alf, Irene and Leah doing their bit to provide a community bridge between the advantage of Summer Bay and the disadvantage of Mangrove River.

Yes John, I agree with almost everything you have written. And IF the show had treated these characters as you have suggested no doubt there could have been some fabulous stories about the issues you raised.

Alas, this was not the case. Quite, the opposite. The show instead chose to use them to glamorise gangs, violence and angry men. These same men were portrayed as hot, admirable and something to apparently aspire to. Regardless of their actions and the consequences to others.

It was the double standard that was constantly applied to these characters that has always angered me the most.

So, back to my original question. As written, and considering the carnage they left in their wake. Love them, hate them or indifferent.

I,m totally in the hate camp

I do however deeply regret the huge opportunity the show missed to explore some truly epic and very relevant social issues based around these characters.

Unfortunately for me, the show took the low road.

I thought topics of this nature were verboten on account of how people start arguments and bully other users of the forum?

Besides that, hasn't it been said numerous times in numerous threads what people think of the Braxtons, good or bad? I can't believe that anything new could be added to the debate about this set of characters.

Funnily enough I wasn't after debate. Quite the opposite, just hardcore numbers, nothing more.

I was intending for this to be an actual poll but appeared to have stuffed it up. Maybe my good friend John or one of the other mods could help with that.

I thought it was time to do a simple poll. Given all the argument on this forum about the Braxton brothers and seeing as they polarise opinion so severely.
Yes No or indifferent.

Posted on behalf of KMP1963

Archived