Summer Bay - before the Fletchers

beau_t

I know it would never happen, but I think it would be awesome if there was a TV series which was a prequel to Home and Away. I've been watching Bates Motel recently and been impressed with the way it has used the backstory of the Psycho movies to create a show that both supports and and adds to the "mythology" of the series, as well as making some changes to keep things fresh and exciting. Smallville also did this very successfully, being true to the source material but changing things where necessary.

We know so much about Summer Bay before the Fletchers arrived, it would be great to set it a few years before, with the focus on Alf, Martha and Roo living in Summer Bay House, and the other families - the Simpsons (Al, Doris, Sophie and Bobby), the Fishers (Donald, Barbara, Rebecca and Alan), seeing Narellle, Lance and Martin as high school pupils, and long suffering Colleen Smart with her cheating husband Stan/Les(?). We could have Morag coming for visits too as there would be the secret between her and Martha regarding Bobby and of course her history with Donald.

Possible changes could be Celia running the general store from the offset, or alternatively they could have Ailsa arrive earlier than in the original, before Martha's death. We know in the original backstory that she and Donald had a brief relationship. They could change this to an affair and make it the reason he and Barbara split. They could also change Celia's backstory so that she is still with Les when the show begins, and he possibly dies for some other reason rather than in Vietnam.

I think it would be a really interesting show to watch, seeing what paths the characters go down, and which storylines stick to the original back story and which ones go off on a tangent but still come full-circle in time for the Fletcher's arrival (which I guess would be the final episode).

I'd quite like to see Summer Bay in circa 1880/1890, although it'd have to be shot very carefully at Palm Beach. It'd have been about 30/40 years old then, the lighthouse would be turned on for the first time - I think that'd be a very good opening, the community coming together to see it - I think it would be great to see that time when the Stewarts were becoming really respected in the community, they could have one or some of the families celebrating the lighthouse as they'd lost sons in boating accidents on the rocks. Thinking of families, we could have the Stewarts, the Baldivises, the Nashes, some of the other families who were meant to have been around for years. Eventually we could have Summer Bay House being built 1890s(?) and the old Nash house (Leah's) which I assume was an early 1900s and start seeing a more familiar Summer Bay. We could have a Stewart's Store again.

That is why my fanfic Donald Fisher the prequel 1963-1987 is my own work on the pre televised history of H&A using established facts given in the serial. I have featured Walt Bertram and Mervin Baldivis, Don marrying Barbara. Don going to Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, England, one of his ancestral homes, Alf discovering his English side as well as his Scottish. Don's grandparents names etc. If the complete genealogy of a H&A character has never been fully established us fans can use our imagination for fanfics based on the truth of the show.

What is good is that in H&A there has been flashbacks as far back as 1950.

Archived