True Love

Thank you Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover, Sarah and RoRo90. :D

eleven

Charlie and the kids went to Leah’s after school. Maya and VJ were playing in his room, but Ben choose to stay close by to his mother. “Bux eh...Bux and mummy.” Ben said as he looked up to Leah as she made the coffee.

“Oh,” Leah raised her eyebrows as she looked to Charlie. “Does mummy have something to share?” Leah questioned, Ben nodding his head before he ran through to the living room, Ben still holding Maya’s barbie, taking a shine to the toy over the last couple of days. Charlie had dressed her though. Letting your son run around with a barbie was one thing, but a naked one?

“We had dinner and he watched a movie with us,” Charlie said as she leaned against the kitchen worktop. “We uhm....” Charlie pursed her lips. “We’re going out for dinner tonight. Just the two of us this time.” Charlie spoke nervously which didn’t go unnoticed by Leah.

“I see,” Leah gave her friend a smile as she handed her her coffee. “And by Bux I’m guessing he means Heath’s brother Brax?” Leah questioned, Charlie giving a little nod. “Well he seems like a nice guy,” Leah said. “Nice to see you trying again.” Charlie and Carl broke up about a year ago now and Brax was the first guy Charlie seemed interested in since.

Charlie gave her friend a smile. “And what about you? You don’t ever want to meet someone?” Charlie questioned. Leah hadn’t been with anyone since Vinnie’s passing.

“Maybe one day.” Leah murmured.

Charlie gave her friend an empathetic smile. “But there’s something....” Charlie paused. “Mark called me on Monday night.” Charlie figured it was easiest to just come out and say it.

“Mark,” Leah choked on the mouthful of coffee she’d just taken. “What did he want?”

“He wants to meet and talk,” Charlie bit her lip. “I don’t know if I should or not. Like....what does he want?” Charlie questioned, her heart palpitating at the thought of why now. Why now after 3 years did he suddenly want to talk with her.

“You didn’t ask him why?” Leah wondered.

“He wouldn’t tell me,” Charlie answered. “He said he’d rather talk face to face.”

“I see,” Leah nodded her head. “Well you’ve served him with divorce papers, right?” Leah questioned, Charlie giving a small nod of her head in reply. “Well maybe it’s just to talk about that.”

“I thought that,” Charlie exhaled. “But then Rubes called to chat and she said he’d saw her at school and told her he’d signed the papers. Surely if it was about the divorce he wouldn’t have signed them?” Charlie said, Leah giving a little shrug. “Leah, I....I don’t know what to do.”

“I’m sorry but I can’t tell you,” Leah told her. “It seems like you are curious though and are obviously considering going to meet him because if you didn’t want to you’d have said that right away,” Leah exhaled. “Just...I dunno. Go meet him. Just the once. See what he wants.” Charlie pondered what Leah said. She was curious and a big part of her did want to know what Mark wanted, she took a drink of her coffee, not saying anything else on the subject.

Ruby was in her flat, doing some coursework on her laptop when she heard the door opening then closing again. “Alright Rubes?” Romeo smiled down at her as he sat down on the couch, helping himself to some of her chips, knowing she wouldn’t mind him taking some. “What ya doing?” Romeo questioned, looking at her computer screen before looking up at her.

“Eh just coursework.” Ruby shut the screen down and left her laptop on her knee as she turned to face Romeo. “How was class?” Ruby questioned. Romeo was studying Sports and Exercise.

“Yeah alright,” Romeo exhaled. “I’m not as good with the theory parts of the course. Playing the sports I can do but I dunno it’s harder than I though.”

“You thinking of quitting?” Ruby questioned. She’d hate for Romeo to leave. She could feel a connection with him and things seemed to be going in the direction of the two of them eventually having a date.

“Nah,” Romeo shook his head. “Why? You sick of living with me already?” Romeo laughed.

“No,” Ruby shook her head. “I’d hate for you to leave.”

“Oh really,” Romeo raised his eyebrows, moving a little close to her. Ruby nodded as she looked into his gorgeous green eyes. “Well that’s good because I’m not going anywhere,” Romeo told her, a smile etching on Ruby’s face. She hung out with Romeo a lot in the flat and she was hoping he’d ask her out again, given she couldn’t make it because she was home for the wedding when he’d first asked her out. “Hey, you wanna play the Wii?” Romeo pointed to the games consol. It had been brought by one of their other flatmates, Lenny, but he didn’t mind if anyone else used it.

“Yeah.” Ruby answered, putting her laptop down on the coffee table as Romeo got up to switch the consol on.

“We’ll play bowling,” Romeo told her. “Loser buys the take-out for tonight’s dinner.” Romeo grinned as she poked Ruby’s side.

“Better get that wallet looked out then.” Ruby grinned up at him, loving the way things were going between them.

Charlie and Brax were out on their dinner date. “So,” Brax took a drink of his beer before looking back to her. “We are going to play this game,” Brax told her. “Easy way to get to know each other better without it being awkward. Maybe making it more fun and relaxed,” Brax told her. “I’m going to give you some choices and you just have to tell me which one you prefer,” Brax explained. “Get it?” Brax questioned.

“I got it.” Charlie nodded as she ate some of her pasta.

“Coffee or tea?” Brax questioned, spinning some pasta around his fork as he spoke.

Charlie swallowed her mouthful. “Coffee.” Charlie answered without hesitation. She was very much a coffee person.

“Dark chocolate or white chocolate?” Brax wondered.

“White,” Charlie answered. “Don’t I get a turn asking you a question?” Charlie wondered, of course wanting to get to know him better too.

“Patience my friend,” Brax laughed. “Beach or pool?” Brax questioned, this one a very important answer for him to find out. Brax of course being a surf bum so it was important to him that any woman he dated enjoyed going to the beach.

“Beach.” Charlie answered. She smiled as she saw one forming on Brax’s face, clearly having given him the answer he was hoping for.

“Spicy or mild?” Brax questioned.

Charlie pursed her lips. “Spicy.” Charlie answered.

“Ohhhh,” Brax shook his head. “I’m more of a mild man myself.” Brax said, never having been able to handle spicy food.

“Well maybe a few more dates with me and you’ll like it spicy.” Charlie said, Brax raising his eyebrows at how what she said sounded.

“Is that so?” Brax questioned. “Well we best keep these dates coming then, huh?” Brax gave Charlie a wink as took a drink of his beer as she took a nodded before taking a drink of her wine.

“So.....” Charlie pursed her lips. “You’re definitely staying then?” Charlie questioned. She knew Brax hadn’t fully made up his mind yet but she didn’t want to continue seeing him only for him to go back to the Gold Coast, and Maya and even little Ben had already taken to him so she wanted to be sure before anymore dates, especially before anymore dates with the kids.

“I’m looking to selling my place up there,” Brax told her. “I’ve talked with Angelo about taking on his place, so, yeah,” Brax nodded. “I want to move.” Brax said, Charlie feeling a smile etching on her face.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Kristen, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sarah for the comments.

twelve

Charlie was sitting in the car, her legs shaking nervously as she looked to the apartment complex. It looked brand new and very expensive to stay in. She took a deep breath as she got out of the car and walked up to the doorway. She punched in the entrance number on the keypad that Mark had let her know before walking over to the lift and going up to the seventh floor. She found apartment number 712 and took a moment to compose herself before ringing the doorbell. “Charlie,” Mark smiled as he opened the door. “Come in,” Mark said, Charlie walking slowly into the apartment and following Mark over to the kitchen, where he flicked the kettle on. “Can I get you a coffee?” Mark questioned, turning to face Charlie again. She didn’t know how he could be so casual with her. They hadn’t seen each other in at least 2 and a half years and he was acting like it was just yesterday he saw her.

“Yeah.” Charlie’s voice came out in a whisper, although it was unintended. She took at seat at the breakfast bar and couldn’t help but look around to see if there were any signs of a female presence, of course Charlie being curious to see if Mark was seeing anyone. She watched him as he got some mugs out and couldn’t help but think how handsome he looked.

“So, let’s just get right to it,” Mark said. “You’re probably wondering why I asked you to come talk, right?” Mark questioned as he took the milk from the fridge.

“Yeah.” Charlie answered as Mark walked over, handing her her coffee as he took a seat opposite her. He stared into her eyes, her beauty captivating him.

“God you are gorgeous,” Mark murmured. “I....” Mark took a deep breath. “I signed the divorce papers. Ruby told you, right?”

“Mmm.” Charlie nodded finding this strange. She didn’t know what Mark was going to say and she didn’t know what to say to him either. Part of her hated Mark for leaving like he did but then there was the other part of her.

Mark took a deep breath. “I want.....I want you back,” Mark felt it was best to just come right out and say it. Charlie stared at him, looking stunned. “I still love you so much.” Mark said.

“You what?” Charlie questioned. “You...but you signed the divorce papers. Why would you do that then ring me up to tell me you want me back?” Charlie’s heart was beating faster and faster.

“So we can start fresh,” Mark told her, giving her a smile, the smile that always made Charlie go weak at the knees. He’d left so abruptly and there were so many unresolved feelings and she felt like she never really got any proper closure on her relationship with Mark. “I love you. I’ve always loved you.” Mark said, leaning forward and resting his hand on hers.

Charlie looked down, letting it linger for a moment before she pulled her hand away. “You left,” Charlie said. “You left when our son was barely a month old,” Charlie felt herself getting emotional. “How can you possibly think I’d give you another chance?” Charlie questioned.

“I’m sorry,” It was the first time Charlie had heard Mark utter those words. “I was scared. I panicked. It was a little unknown and I....I freaked. But I’ve regretted that decision every day. Not a day goes by where I don’t regret leaving my family,” Mark said. “We were so happy. We had everything we could possible want and I screwed that up. I know I did but I also know we can get it back,” Mark told her, his hand once again taking hers, squeezing it gently. “Tell me you don’t love me anymore and I’ll say no more,” Mark said. “But I....I know you and I can see it in your eyes,” Mark said, Charlie moving her face from his gaze. She couldn’t believe this. She’d tried so hard the last 3 years to push away any feelings she still had for Mark but she knew that deep down she still loved him. She was sure a part of her always would. He was the father of her children after all and maybe she owed it to the children to give Mark that second chance.

“I....” Charlie was really torn. She loved Mark but she knew she’d never be able to forgive him for walking out on their family and especially on the reasons why he left. She wiped her hand across her eyes as she felt them misting over. “Of course I still love you,” Charlie murmured. “But it doesn’t mean -” She was cut off by his lips pressing against hers. She didn’t even notice him moving but he obviously had as he was now on the other side of the breakfast bar kissing her. She felt herself relaxing into the kiss, kissing him feeling nice and familiar. There were no fireworks, but it was still a nice kiss and of course they hadn’t kissed in over 3 years. She felt the kiss intensity as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her up from the seat. “Mmm wait, Mark.” Charlie pulled back.

“Shhh. Give in to what you want.” Mark murmured as they kissed again, Mark leading her down to the bedroom.

Heath and Bianca were walking hand in hand through the town. They were doing a spot of shopping and Heath had already treated his wife to a new dress. “I love it here,” Heath exhaled. “I wish we were here longer.” They were already onto day 5 of the honeymoon, only have 5 more to go.

“It is gorgeous but I think even you would get sick of it after a while,” Bianca murmured. “Besides it’ll be nice to get home to our family and friends and get back into normal life,” Bianca exhaled. “And of course work means I’ll get a break from you.” Bianca spoke cheekily as Heath gasped.

“What? You mean you are getting sick of being around me all the time?” Heath questioned. “Because if you ask me, it always sounds like you are having a great time.” Heath grinned.

Bianca stifled a laugh. “Of course I am, but you know what I mean. It’ll be nice to go back to normality. It doesn’t mean the fun needs to stop,” Bianca assured him. “But I am actually looking forward to going back to work.”

“Really?” Heath raised his eyebrows questioningly. “You are looking forward to going back to getting attitude and being talked back to by bratty teenagers?” Heath didn’t think this sounded like an appealing job at all.

“They’re not all like that,” Bianca slapped his chest. “And it’s actually pretty rewarding being a teacher. When your student does well. It’s makes me feel good. I’m educating our future.”

“Fair enough.” Heath mumbled.

“And Mr Heath Braxton, don’t you try to tell me that you are not looking forward to getting back to that gym,” Bianca said. “Beautiful toned women walking about, bending and stuff,” Bianca said. “You’re a looker.”

“Excuse me,” Heath sounded shocked. “Why would I need to look at any other woman when I’ve got the most gorgeous of all as my wife?” Heath questioned, coking his head to the side a little.

“Because you are a guy,” Bianca retorted. “And you guys can’t help but look.” Bianca said.

“Baby.” Heath sounded offended.

“Its fine,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “Everyone looks,” Bianca exhaled. “You are allowed to think a woman is nice looking even if you have a wife,” Bianca said. “Just as long as that’s all it is,” Bianca told him. “You know fine well I think the new biology teacher is good looking,” Bianca gave a cheeky grin. “But it doesn’t mean I want anything to happen with him,” Bianca exhaled. “I’ve already got my Prince Charming.”

“Well I’m not sure Prince Charming is the right title for me. Makes me sound like a goody-goody.” Heath murmured.

“Okay,” Bianca pursed her lips. “How about being my Prince bad ass surfer?” Bianca grinned, her eyebrows raising.

“Why do I have to be a Prince?” Heath mumbled as they stopped walking, Heath turning his body a little so he was facing Bianca.

“Because,” Bianca pouted. “You’re my handsome Princy-wincy.” Bianca spoke in a baby voice as he pinched his cheek, before placing a soft kiss on his lips, Heath pulled back to give a little laugh before they kissed again.

Thanks Kristen, Sarah, CharlieAndBraxLover and Sabrina for the comments.

thirteen

Bianca and Heath were back at the hotel, sitting in one of the hot tubs as they enjoyed a cocktail. The sun was setting as they looked out over the infinity pool to the ocean. “I think I’ve said this everyday but it’s gorgeous here.” Bianca murmured, leaning more into Heath as he wrapped his arm around her.

“Yeah,” Heath agreed. “We will need to come back here for sure.” Heath said before taking a drink of his cocktail.

“Oh you going to spoil me with lots of holidays?” Bianca questioned, reaching for her drink as she spoke. “Because if you are I have a lot of places to add to the list.”

“Oh yeah?” Heath questioned. “You just want to spend all our hard earned cash on holidays?” Heath wondered. “You don’t want to save for anything else?” Heath said, knowing that babies were definitely in Bianca’s future plans.

“Well of course I want a little Heath or two and a mini-me but we are still young,” Bianca exhaled. The both of them were 28 so right now Bianca just wanted to enjoy being married for a couple of years before trying for a baby. “We’ve not even been married a week yet,” Bianca exhaled. “There’s no rush for babies, right?”

“Not at all,” Heath shook his head. He knew he’d ultimately give Bianca what she wanted but he needed a little more convincing on the baby thing so didn’t mind waiting a couple years to start trying. He was glad they both just wanted to enjoy married life for the time being. “Besides, I don’t mind the idea of having you all to myself for the time being.” Heath murmured, placing a soft kiss on Bianca’s temple as they sat in the hot tub together, watching the sun set.

Charlie walked into Leah’s house, Leah having been looking after the kids for her when she was in the city. Marilyn was their nanny on Mondays, Tuesday and Wednesdays – the days Charlie’s worked as a Police Sergeant, but on Thursdays and Fridays Marilyn worked at the Surf Club so was unable to watch the kids, which would normally be fine considering Charlie didn’t work then anyways. Leah had the day off from work so she said she’d watch Ben and Maya for her till she got back. “Hey Leah, sorry I’m a little later than I said,” Charlie apologised. “I popped in to see Rubes before coming home.”

“That’s okay,” Leah said. “How did it go?” Leah questioned. Charlie bit her lip as she shook her head, her eyes immediately getting teared up.

“I slept with him.” Charlie spoke quietly. She was embarrassed with herself for relenting so easily.

“Oh wow,” Leah widened her eyes. She didn’t expect Charlie to tell her that. “So, he uhm....did he even want to talk or.....”

“He wants to get back together.” Charlie said, shaking her head a little as she spoke. She was mad at herself for what she’d done.

“And do you?” Leah wondered.

Charlie clicked her tongue as she shook her head. “I think a part of me will always love him but I can’t forgive him for leaving us. I can’t forgive him for just walking out and having nothing to do with us, with the kids for 3 whole years,” Charlie exhaled. “But now I’ve gone and slept with him and he’s going to think I do want to get back together and I feel bad because I slept with him when I’ve been out with Brax and I....” Charlie stopped talking, slapping her hand hard against her forehead.

“Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself,” Leah told her, stepping forward and rubbing her arm. “We’re all human. We make mistakes,” Leah spoke softly, in a comforting manner. “Were you....” Leah cleared her throat. “Were you at least safe?” Leah questioned, not wanting an unplanned pregnancy making this situation worse.

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “That was probably the only sensible part of today,” Charlie mumbled. “Even going there was probably a mistake.” Charlie sighed, angry at herself for how meeting mark had turned out.

“Aw c’mon,” Leah exhaled. “You had to go see what he wanted.”

“Hmm I’m not so sure,” Charlie mumbled. “Anyways I should get the kids home,” Charlie said, walking through to the living room as Leah followed behind her. “It’s way passed bedtime,” Charlie smiled as she saw Maya sitting on the couch, her eyes all heavy and her head dropping every now and then, like she was about to fall asleep. Ben was fast asleep, lying across the couch, his head resting on Maya’s legs as he was still clutching onto the barbie doll. “Hey sweetness.” Charlie spoke quietly as Maya smiled at her mother. Charlie lifted Ben up into her arms, the little boy not even stirring at having been moved.

“Mummy am I going to bed now?” Maya asked sleepily.

“Yeah.” Charlie lifted Maya into her other arm, both kids in hers as she looked round to Leah.

“You need a hand?” Leah asked.

“I’ve got the kids,” Charlie spoke in a whisper. “Maybe just bring their bags out to the car.” Charlie said, Leah nodding as she picked up the bags and followed her friend out to her car.

Charlie looked to her phone as it beeped, indicating she had a message. She sighed lightly as she saw it was once again from Mark. It was now Saturday and she hadn’t spoken to him since she left his place on the Thursday afternoon. She knew she didn’t want to be with him but she didn’t know how to tell him, of course having just slept with him, she’d probably be letting him think otherwise. “Something important?” Brax questioned, after Charlie had stared at the phone for quite some time without even having opened the message.

“No.” Charlie shook her head, putting her phone down the table. Her and Brax were out at the mall, going to be going to the movie theatre

that took up the top floor of the mall. They were taking Ben to see the SpongeBob Square Pants Movie. Sure it wasn’t really a date for two thirty-somethings but Brax was still pleased to be seeing Charlie again. Maya was playing at Autumn’s house, not knowing about this date otherwise she of course would have wanted to cancel on Autumn and Charlie wanted her to keep playing with her friends. Ben was currently over at the big fish tank they had in the restaurant - where they were getting lunch before the movie - his face squashed up against the glass as he watched the fish, Ben being quite fascinated by them.

Brax stared at Charlie for a moment before he brushed his hand over the edge of the table as he spoke quietly. “Is this not....” Brax pursed his lips. “Do you want to be here?”

“Yes,” Charlie answered without hesitation. “I...” Charlie bit her lip as she looked over to her son before looking back to Brax. “Mark got in touch,” Charlie spoke quietly, not making eye contact with Brax. “He wanted to meet me to talk and I went to see him on Thursday,” Charlie paused for a moment. “We ended up sleeping together.” Charlie bowed head a little.

“I see.” Brax would be lying if he said he wasn’t disappointed.

“I’m so sorry,” Charlie told him. “Because I don’t want to be with Mark but when I saw him all these unresolved feelings came flooding to the surface and I....” Charlie felt herself getting teary-eyed. “I’m sorry. I really am.”

Brax looked a little confused. “What have you got to be sorry for?” Brax questioned.

“Because I like you and I want to keep dating you but I slept with someone else.” Charlie said, finally making eye contact with him.

Brax stifled a laugh. “It’s not like it was just ‘someone else’,” Brax said. “He’s technically still your husband. You have all this history,” Brax exhaled. “And it’s not like we are exclusive,” Brax told her. “This is only our third date. We’ve not even slept together yet,” Brax leaned forward and took her hand, squeezing it gently. “This doesn’t make me want to stop seeing you.”

Charlie stared at him, a smile etching on her face. She was glad Brax wanting to keep seeing her because she definitely wanted to see what could happen with him. “Yeah?” Charlie had to question it, just to be sure.

“Yeah,” Brax nodded. “But you know, I would like to be the next person that you sleep with.” Brax told her, a cheeky grin etching on his face as he leaned over the table and placed a soft kiss on her lips.

Thanks so much :)

fourteen

“Darryl,” Maya seemed happy to see him when she came home from Autumn’s. “Have you had another date without me?” Maya wondered, looking to her mother before looking back to Brax.

“We the movies.” Ben told her, the barbie back in his grasp as he coloured with his other hand.

“What,” Maya gasped, saddened she was left out of the movie date. “That’s not fair.”

“You got to have fun at Autumn’s house,” Charlie said. “Go change into your pj’s and we can all play a game together before bed, huh?” Charlie ran her hand through Maya’s hair before she ran off up the stairs, doing as she was told.

“The kid really called Autumn?” Brax questioned, Charlie giving a little nod. “What’s her sister called, Winter?” Brax laughed jokingly.

“Summer actually.” Charlie said and Brax widened his eyes.

“No,” Brax sounded gobsmacked as Charlie nodded. “Autumn and Summer? Charlie please tell me you are joking.”

“I’m not,” Charlie told him. “That’s really their names.”

“Jeez,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “You won’t catch me giving my kids names like that,” Brax murmured as he sat back down on the couch. “You agree with me, right Benj?” Brax questioned. “Autumn and Summer are silly names?” Brax said, Ben looking around to Brax as he spoke.

“This Bux.” Ben held the barbie out for Brax to see as he got to his feet and ran across to the room, Charlie smiling as she watched her son with Brax. He stopped right in front of him and put his little hand on Brax’s knee as Brax leaned forward.

“Nah mate,” Brax shook his head. “It’s a girl. Maybe she’s called Charlie like your mummy.” Brax said, this time it Ben’s turn to shake his head as he got a smile on his face.

“She’s Bux.” Ben said. Brax looked down to Ben, Ben’s flat face staring up at him his slanted eyes scrunching, Ben clearly not liking the fact Brax suggested a different name for the barbie doll.

“Don’t you want to be a barbie?” Charlie questioned, a cheeky grin on her face as she spoke.

“Well you know I’m flattered the kid named his toy after me but it would have been nicer if it was a GI Joe or a Ken doll or whatever the male ones are called.” Brax said, Charlie laughing a little at him.

“It’s not his,” Maya said as she walked back in the room. “It’s my barbie and her name is Arianna,” Maya climbed up onto the couch, squashing herself in between Brax and her mother. “Darryl do you know it’s my friend Autumn’s little sisters birthday tomorrow?” Maya questioned as she looked up to him, Lola ragdoll sitting on her knee.

“Is it?” Brax questioned. “How old will she be?”

“She’ll be 2,” Maya held up two fingers. “How old are you?” Maya wondered.

“I’m 30.” Brax answered.

“Oh I think my mum is older than that,” Maya scratched the side of her head as she looked up to her mother. “How old is you mum?”

“Oh Maya I don’t think you ask a lady her age.” Brax said as Ben walked over to Charlie and she lifted him up onto her knee, Ben cuddling into his mother.

“She’s not a lady,” Maya scrunched her face up. “She’s my mummy.”

Charlie and Brax gave a little laugh. “I’m 32,” Charlie told her daughter as she ran her hand through her ponytail. “Now how about you go pick a game for us to play before bedtime.”

“Can we watch Frozen?” Maya questioned, her eyelids batting angelically at her mother.

“No.” Charlie moaned in response. She’d had to endure Frozen way to many times lately.

“But I don’t have school tomorrow,” Maya frowned. “I can stay up later so we can watch a movie.” Maya clasped her hands together like she was pleading with her mother.

Charlie pursed her lips before glancing at Brax. She did want some more alone time with him but Maya always got to stay up later on weekends so there wasn’t any reason why she shouldn’t be allowed this weekend. “Okay we can watch a movie but not Frozen.” Charlie told her daughter as she jumped down from the couch to pick a film to watch. She looked through the choices before she turned and looked at Brax.

“Darryl,” Maya barked. “Get the popcorn and drinks ready for movie time.” Maya spoke authoritatively as she pointed her index finger at him.

“Maya,” Charlie glared at her daughter. “He’s our guest. I’ll do it.” Charlie said, about to lift Ben from her knee so she could stand up.

“No he can learn,” Maya said. “He’ll be here for lots of movie nights.” Maya sounded sure of that fact.

“Well he doesn’t know where anything is kept,” Charlie put Ben on the floor as she stood up. Ben running over to where Cody was laying snoozing, the boy clearly wanting to see his dog. “I’ll go help him and when we get back you better have a DVD picked out, okay?” Charlie said, Maya nodding as Charlie and Brax went through to the kitchen to get the popcorn and drinks ready.

“He been keeping you company?” Charlie questioned as she walked back into the living room from taking Maya back to bed. She’d been out to bed about an hour ago but this was now the second time she’d appeared down. Brax was patting Cody as he rested his head on Brax’s knee.

Brax smiled as Charlie sat down on the couch next to him. “She go back to bed okay?” Brax questioned, really hoping the rest of their night would go uninterrupted.

“For now.” Charlie mumbled.

“She’s a sassy little thing anyways,” Brax laughed. “Going to keep you on your toes that’s for sure.”

“Ah don’t even,” Charlie shook her head. “Rubes gave me a couple of wild years. I don’t need a repeat.” Charlie murmured.

“Rubes?” Brax questioned. “She’s your other daughter, right?”

“Mmm,” Charlie nodded. “She lives in Sydney.”

“With Mark?” Brax questioned.

“No no no,” Charlie shook her head. “Mark not’s her father. She’s at uni there.”

“Uni?” Brax couldn’t believe Charlie had a child old enough to be in uni.

“Yeah,” Charlie nodded. “She’s going to come home next weekend though so maybe you’ll see her around.” Charlie hoped the two would meet. She knew this was only her third date with Brax but it just felt so right being around him.

“A teenager?” Brax let out a puff of air. “A 5 and 3 year old are easy to entertain but a teenager?” Brax sounded scared.

“Don’t worry. She won’t bite,” Charlie told him, Brax stifling a laugh. “And she’s into surfing so there’s always that topic for an ice-breaker.”

“Noted,” Brax gave a little nod. “Now, how about we get back to finishing this movie?” Brax questioned. After the kids went to bed they’d put on a more age appropriate movie than Maya’s choice of ‘Brave’. Charlie nodded as she snuggled back into Brax, Brax wrapping his arm around her as he hit play on the remote, the pair of them snuggled up on the couch as they watched the movie together.

Thanks

fifteen

Charlie opened the door, smiling nervously as she let Mark into the house. “Hey,” Mark beamed, a little to cheery for Charlie’s liking. “I see you’ve redecorated.” Mark said as he walked down the hall, having a quick look into the living room before following Charlie into the kitchen.

“Yeah,” Charlie answered. “I needed a change after you left.” Charlie murmured, practically the whole house getting a makeover after he left.

Mark nodding understandingly, his lips pursing feeling bad for the way things went. “And I’ll be forever sorry for that,” Mark told her. “But maybe I can spend the rest of our lives making it up to you.” Mark murmured as he stepped forward and rested his hand on her arm.

“Marcus, I.....” Charlie pulled back from him, her head shaking. “I don’t want to be with you. I know I slept with you last week but it was a mistake,” Charlie pursed her lips, not making eye contact with him. “A part of me is always going to love you but I can’t forgive you. I can’t.” Charlie shook her head again, like she was strengthening her comment.

Mark looked saddened as he listened to what Charlie told him. “There’s nothing at all I do to win you back?” Mark questioned.

“If you turn back time to three years ago and not leave.” Charlie murmured, Mark exhaling sadly, of course never able to make that happen. He could feel so much love between the two of them as they stood starting at each other, but knew he only had himself to blame for the fact they were now over.

“Do you think that....” Mark paused of a moment, taking a deep breath. “Maybe I could start seeing the kids?” Mark questioned. “I don’t have to be ‘dad’ and it can be on your terms but I....I should be in their lives.”

Charlie pursed her lips as she tucked her hair behind her ear. “When you say the kids are you just talking about the girls or is Ben included too?” Charlie wondered, of course Ben being the reason Mark left so was unsure as to if he had changed his mind of having a relationship with his son.

“Well I don’t think Ruby will be interested in seeing me,” Mark exhaled. Mark and Ruby used to have a close relationship. She was only 7 when he started dating Charlie and 10 when he officially became her stepdad. They got on really well and Ruby even occasionally called him dad, but of course when he walked out that destroyed their relationship. “I know she won’t,” Mark added, thinking about their meeting at the school. “But I would love to see Maya,” Mark said. “She’s my little girl,” Mark exhaled, rubbing his thumb and index finger over the finger where his wedding ring used to sit. “And Ben,” Mark spoke quietly. “I....I’m sorry. I panicked when he was born and I was scared and it was unknown and I....” Mark trailed off his head shaking.

“And you don’t think I was scared?” Charlie questioned. “It was unknown for me too but he was my son,” Charlie hit her chest. “He is a sweet, gentle, clever little boy and I couldn’t imagine my life without him.”

Mark bowed his head, embarrassed at himself for walking out on Ben and for not wanting to have anything to do with him. “Maybe you could let me make it up to him now,” Mark mumbled, glancing to the fridge where he saw a picture of Ruby, Maya and Ben being held up by a fridge magnet. “Can I...” Mark gestured to the picture as he walked closer to the fridge. “God Charlie she is even more like you than I remember,” Mark said, taking the picture from the fridge and looking at the photo of the kids, Maya grinning up at the camera.

“I know,” Charlie said. “That was at Ben’s third birthday in November. November 18th he was born.”

“I remember when he was born,” Mark said, looking down to Ben, smiling cheekily as he posed with his Buzz Lightyear cake and his sisters. “Guess he gets all that blond hair from me.” Mark said, staring at his son’s blond curls.

“He’s like you in a lot of ways.” Charlie told him.

Mark gave a little smile as he felt himself welling up, running his thumb over his son’s face. “Please,” Mark said, looking back to Charlie. “Let me see them. Give me a chance to make it up to them.”

Charlie took a deep breath, not really knowing what to answer. Of course Mark had rights to see his children but after being an absent father for 3 years she was scared that after a while he’d lose interest and leave them again. “I....” Charlie glanced at Cody as he walked into the kitchen and over to his bowls for a drink of water. “I need to think about it. I’m sorry.”

“I understand.” Mark murmured, knowing he didn’t have the right to start demanding that he got to see the kids.

“I’ll let you know though.” Charlie said as she stared walking out of the kitchen, Mark seeing this as a sign that she wanted him to leave. He followed out after her and walked out onto the porch, looking down to the photo that was still in his hand.

“Can I?” Mark held the photo up a little and Charlie nodded, letting him keep the picture of the kids. “Well hopefully I hear from you soon.” Mark said before he walked over to his car, Charlie shutting the door and leaning her head down against it as she exhaled loudly.

Bianca and Heath arrived home from their honeymoon earlier that morning. Heath and Brax had gone out for a surf, leaving Bianca at home to start the unappealing task of washing all their holiday clothes. She poured the laundry detergent into the drawer before pushing it closed, hitting a few buttons on the machine, resulting in the wash starting. She lifted up the wash basket of clothes that had already been washed and walked out of the laundry room door and over to the washing line in the back garden of the house and begun hanging out the washing, smiling as she had fond memories of her honeymoon. “Hello,” Bianca was surprised to hear the voice. She turned around to see a woman who’d be in about her mid twenties, a little boy clutching onto her hand walking down the path at the side of the house. “Sorry the front door was open so I knew someone must have been in so just swung round back to see.”

“Uhm,” Bianca put the singlet back down into the wash basket as she walked over to the woman. “What can I do for you?” Bianca questioned, unable to take her eyes off the little boy who was staring up at her, his soft brown eyes all wide as he didn’t blink once, he just continued to stare at her.

“I’m looking for Heath Braxton.” The woman told her, Bianca stomach churning, wondering why this stranger would want Heath. Bianca had never seen her around before. Maybe she was just one of Heath’s clients from the gym but that was probably unlikely. If they wanted Heath then surely they’d just go to the gym to see him.

“He’s out right now.” Bianca told her, looking back to the boy who was still staring at her, having not yet blinked.

“Well when he returns,” The woman let go of the boys hand as she looked into her bag as fished out a piece of paper, handing it to Bianca. “Give him this.” The woman said, Bianca starting at it to see a phone number written underneath the name ‘Jess’.

“Uhm,” Bianca looked to the boy again, her heart beating faster and faster before she looked back to the woman, she now presumed was called Jess. “And can I ask why he needs to call you?” Bianca felt sick to her stomach at the idea that was in her head.

“Oh by the look on your face I think you know.” Jess said, looking from Bianca to her son then back to Bianca again.

Thank you :)

sixteen

Charlie opened the door, surprised to see Brax at the other side. “Hey,” Brax gave her a smile as he leaned in and kissed her cheek. “Can I come in?”

“Sure,” Charlie answered, letting him step inside the house. “Is everything alright?”

“I just had to get out of the house.” Brax said, following Charlie down the hall to the kitchen, where she was preparing lunch for the kids. Ruby had had them out to the park in the morning, Charlie wanting them out of the house so she could talk to Mark alone.

“Ah Bianca and Heath still think they are on their honeymoon?” Charlie gave a little laugh as she check the oven. She’d made Macaroni and Cheese for lunch and was waiting on the cheese she’d sprinkled on top to melt in the oven.

“Nah they are having an argument,” Brax said, Charlie giving a little laugh, thinking he was joking. They’d just got married and had arrived back from their honeymoon that morning, what could they have to argue about? “No, don’t laugh. I’m being serious.”

“Oh,” Charlie turned back up to face Brax. “What could they possibly have to argue about right now?” Charlie questioned.

Brax gave a little shrug. “I got out pretty quick hey,” Brax told her, rubbing the back of his head as he spoke. “Something about a lady called Jess.”

Charlie scrunched a face up. “No idea what that could be about,” Charlie murmured. “Uhm. Have you eaten?” Charlie questioned, just as Maya came running into the room dressed as Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

“Darryl, are you here for lunch?” Maya beamed, hoping that he was staying to eat with them.

“Uh yeah,” Brax answered. “I think your mum was just about to invite me,” Brax said, glancing at Charlie who gave a little nod. “What’s for lunch?”

“Macaroni cheese,” Maya told him. “It’s Ben’s favourite. He doesn’t like garlic bread but we have that too,” Maya said. “Do you like my dress?” Maya questioned, spinning around before giving him a curtsy.

“It’s lovely.” Brax told her, looking to the blue and white Belle dress.

“Do you know Ruby is here?” Maya questioned as Charlie took the dish from the grill and sat it on top of the oven before taking the bowls out of the warming drawer.

“Is she?” Brax questioned. He remembered Charlie saying that she might have been coming down and clearly, given she was here, she did come down.

“Yeah,” Maya answered. “She took me to the park this morning. Ben loves the park. He likes the swings best but I like the monkey bars.”

“I bet you do.” Brax laughed at Maya.

“Right sweetness go tell Rubes and Ben lunch is ready.” Charlie spoke to her daughter as she took the garlic bread from under the grill. Maya ran out of the kitchen, doing as she was told.

“So I get to meet Rubes.” Brax sounded nervous.

“Don’t worry about Ruby,” Charlie told him. “Maya’s opinion was definitely the one you needed to worry about and you won her over without even trying,” Charlie told him. “Rubes and you will get along fine.” Charlie said, Brax smiling nervously as he walked over to help Charlie take lunch over to the table, as the kids walked into the kitchen, Ben also in a dress-up outfit, Ben of course being Buzz Lightyear.

“Maconi cheese.” Ben sang as he climbed up onto the seat at the table, clearly excited for his favourite lunch.

“You like macaroni bud?” Brax questioned as he sat down next to Ben, Maya making sure she got the seat on the other side of Brax.

“Maconi cheese.” Ben said again, pointing to his lunch.

Ruby laughed at her younger brother. “So, you must be Darryl,” Ruby said, holding her hand across the table for him to shake. “Maya has told me so much about you.” Ruby told him, Brax smiling nervously at the girl.

Bianca was pacing the room as Heath was standing leaning on the couch. “Did she actually say he was my son?” Heath questioned.

“She didn’t need too,” Bianca sighed. “He is the spitting image of you, Heath,” Bianca told him. “So, just....start telling the truth.”

“Well maybe before you go accusing me of fathering a child with someone else we call this woman and get proof. Take a DNA test?” Heath spat.

“So you’re not denying being unfaithful then?” Bianca questioned. Heath pursed his lips as he bowed his head. He’d kept this secret for so long and had thought he’d gotten away with it. Bianca felt a tear trying to escape her eye, knowing by Heath’s expression that he had in fact been unfaithful.

“Remember when I went to Melbourne for Steve’s bucks party?” Heath questioned. Steve was one of Heath’s employee’s at the gym and he had been invited along to his bucks weekend over 3 years ago now. Bianca gave a little nod in reply, being unable to talk in this moment. “Well I...” Heath spoke softly. He hated himself for his betrayal but he loved Bianca so much and didn’t want to lose her so decided to keep it quiet. “Remember that was when we had that huge fight,” Heath said, like he was trying to find an excuse for cheating on her. “We hadn’t spoken in almost a week and I didn’t know if were still a we -”

“Don’t you dare,” Bianca seethed. “Don’t you dare try to justify this,” Bianca felt her eyes blurring over with tears. “It doesn’t matter if we weren’t speaking because we were having an argument,” Bianca spat. “We were still together.”

“I’m sorry,” Heath bowed his head again. “She was just a stupid mistake. I didn’t even think she was called Jess,” Heath said. “I always thought she was called Jenni so it shows how much she meant to me.”

Bianca sniggered. “All that shows is how easy you are to get into bed,” Bianca spat. “You’d sleep with someone when you didn’t even know her name and not even bother using protection,” Bianca muttered. “Then you go and lie to me about it for the last 3 years at least.” Bianca’s voice broke as a tear rolled down her cheek.

“Babe I didn’t lie to you.” Heath stepped forward, reaching his hand out to touch her arm.

“Don’t you dare touch me,” Bianca yelled, stepping back from him so he couldn’t touch her. “You slept with someone else then you chose not to tell me about it,” Bianca sniffed back. “That’s as good as lying.”

I’m so sorry,” Heath felt himself getting emotional. “But we can get through this right?” Heath questioned. “If I am that boy’s father then -”

Bianca shook her head. “Whether you are that boy’s father or not you were still unfaithful,” Bianca told him. “And it all seems worse because you kept it secret for so long,” Bianca wiped a tear from her cheek. They’d just arrived back from their honeymoon that very morning so she couldn’t believe what she was about to say. “We’re done Heath. That’s it, we’re over.”

After lunch, Ruby and the kids took Cody for a walk, leaving Charlie alone with Brax. During lunch Charlie had been rather quiet but the girls and Brax were talking enough between them that she didn’t think it would have been noticed. “You okay?” Brax questioned as he helped her load the dishwasher. “You’ve hardly said a word since I’ve been here. Should I not have come over uninvited?”

“No no,” Charlie answered. “I like that you came around and the kids loved you having lunch with us,” Charlie said, leaning herself against the worktop as she folded her arms across her chest. “It’s just....” Charlie took a deep breath. “Mark came over this morning.”

“Oh,” Brax put the last bowl into the dishwasher before standing up straight, looking to Charlie. “You didn’t sleep with him again, did you?” Brax questioned. He knew if she had he couldn’t get that mad. They had only had about 4 dates, they weren’t exclusive and they were still to take the step of sleeping together but he really liked her and hoped that they’d officially get together soon.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I told him I didn’t want us to be together and he accepted it,” Charlie was glad Mark wasn’t going to make it difficult to let her go. “But he wants to see the kids.”

“I see,” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “It’s alright for you to be uncertain.” Brax told her, seeing the look on her face and knowing she wasn’t sure whether to let him see the kids or not.

“Is it?” Charlie questioned. “He’s their father. Maybe they do need to have a relationship with him.”

“Yeah but he’s also been their father who’s not been there for the last three years,” Brax stepped closer to Charlie and rubbed her arm. “So it’s okay to want to think about it.” Brax assured her. Charlie looked up into his eyes as she gave him a smile.

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “But I don’t need to think about him right now. Not when I’ve got a very handsome man right in front of me.” Charlie smiled up at Brax as they continued to gaze into each other’s eyes.

“Where?” Brax joked as he turned around, Charlie giving a little chuckle before Brax looked to her again and they pair shared a kiss.

Thanks

seventeen

Jess and the little boy had returned to Heath and Bianca’s house. Heath had persuaded Bianca to stay so she could at least hear what Jess had to say. As soon as Heath saw the boy there was no doubt in his mind that he was his father. He was his double. “His name is Dylan,” Jess said, looking to her son as he played with the little toy car he’d brought with him. “He’s 2 and a half.” Jess looked back to Heath who staring at Dylan as he pushed his car around in circles before glancing to Bianca, her face tearstained as she had the look of betrayal on her face as she rolled her wedding ring around her finger.

“Why did,” Heath paused, unable to string a sentence together. “Why are just telling me now?” Heath questioned. He tried to take Bianca’s hand to give her some comfort but she pulled away and moved further down the couch, this not going unnoticed by Jess. She pursed her lips. She never intended on coming here to cause problems with Heath and who she now knew was his wife but she thought now more than ever that Dylan needed his father.

“We were a one night thing,” Jess retorted. “We lived in different states. We....” Jess shook her head. “I could manage on my own.”

“Eleven days,” Bianca spoke monotonously as she looked to the wall in front of her. “We’ve been married eleven days.”

“And I’m sorry for my timing,” Jess replied. “But Heath is Dylan’s father and he...” Jess took a deep breath. “He’s needs to be with him now.”

“What?” Heath squeaked as he looked to Jess.

“I’m terminal,” Jess spoke quietly. “They found it too late. I have a month at most,” Jess told them. “That’s why I am here. Why Dylan is here. He’s needs to get to know you before I pass because you’re his father and if he’s not with me then he’s going to be with you,” Jess told him, Heath looking to shocked to reply. “And it’s great that you have a wife because he’s going to need a mother too.”

Bianca sniggered as she shook her head. “I’m not going to be that boy’s mother,” Bianca said. “Heath and I are over,” Bianca exhaled, wiping a tear from her cheek. “I uh.....I’m sorry. I can’t sit here any longer,” Bianca said as she stood up. “I let you two talk about your son.” Bianca’s voice went squeaky as she burst into tears before she left the house. Heath stood up to go after her but stopped when Jess pulled him back.

“She needs space,” Jess told him. “Going after her now will only make her angrier.”

“Three years,” Heath said as he turned to face her. “You’ve had three years to tell me about him.” Heath pointed to Dylan, who looked up at him, his soft brown eyes widening at the volume of his voice.

“I’m sorry,” Jess exhaled. “But you need to be his father.”

“Look I,” Heath was torn. He wanted to be with Bianca so much but if he was this boy’s father – which by looking at him was very likely – then of course he’d raise him. “I still need to do a DNA test.” Heath told her. Jess gave a little nod. She already assumed he’d want to do one.

“We can arrange that,” Jess said. “But for now, why don’t you get to know your son?” Jess still used ‘your son’ because she knew 100 per cent that he was the father. Heath took a deep breath as he looked down to Dylan who had gone back to playing with his toy car.

“Hey mate. What you got there?” Heath questioned as he sat down next on the floor next to the boy.

“My car.” Dylan answered shyly as he looked to Heath before he wheeled it around the floor again as Heath watched.

Charlie handed Bianca the mug of coffee as he sat down next to her, her other hand rubbing over arm. “This isn’t how it should be,” Bianca sniffed back. “We should be in total bliss right now.”

Charlie didn’t know what to say. She was shocked that Heath could betray Bianca like that. “There’s no hope at all?” Charlie knew right now it was a stupid questioned but it was better than saying nothing.

“He cheated on me,” Bianca shrieked. “And then lied about it for 3 years,” Bianca exhaled. “And got a child from it,” Bianca added. “I can’t.”

“He’s an idiot.” Brax said. Brax was still hanging out at Charlie’s when Bianca had called round.

Bianca looked up to Brax, a little surprised to find her brother-in-law was still in town when she returned home from her honeymoon, never mind finding him at Charlie’s when she turned up. “Ahh I can’t talk about this right now,” Bianca murmured, Charlie and Brax sharing a glance, of course the pair of them understanding her hurt. “How about you tell me what you are doing here, Darryl?” Bianca questioned, feeling the need to address him by his real name.

“I...” Brax looked to Charlie before glancing out the door. “Oh I think that’s Maya calling on me.” Brax said, standing to his feet and walking out of the room, going to join the kids who were outside with Ruby. Of course Maya hadn’t called him but he thought Bianca would be more comfortable talking with only Charlie there and he didn’t know what to answer to what was going on with him and Charlie.

“Well he might can run off from me but you can’t,” Bianca looked to her friend to noticed she’d gone a little red in the face. “C’mon, what’s going on here?” Bianca wondered. “I saw you guys talking at the wedding. Looking cosy.” Bianca raised her eyebrows before looking sad at the mention of her wedding.

“Bee,” Charlie shook her head. “Are you sure you don’t want to talk about you and Heath right now?”Charlie questioned.

“Very sure,” Bianca answered. “C’mon. What’s going on? Have you slept with him?”

“You know I don’t kiss and tell.” Charlie said.

“I don’t think you’ve just kissed,” Bianca said. “C’mon. You’re supposed to share this kind of stuff with me.” Bianca gave a pout. Charlie could see she was really hurting but was clearly not ready to talk about it yet.

“No. No we’ve not slept together yet,” Charlie shook her head. “I don’t know him well enough,” Charlie told her friend. The last thing she wanted to do was rush into anything. She just met the guy, she had stuff going on with Mark, she had the kids to think about and it wasn’t set in stone he’d even be staying in the bay right now. “But he’s very sweet and we’ve been on some dates. The kids like him,” Charlie gave a little smile. “He’s nice.”

“Aww,” Bianca gushed, glad to see her friend happy. “Well its good things are going well for one of us then,” Bianca mumbled. Charlie took a deep breath as she rubbed Bianca’s arm. “Charlie, I....” Bianca squeaked, her voice becoming inaudible as tears rolled down her cheek. Charlie didn’t say anything in that moment. She just pulled her friend into that comforting hug that she so clearly needed.

Thank you! :D

eighteen

Bianca had spent the night at Charlie’s place. Ruby had given her her bed and she slept on the trundle bed in Maya’s room. Maya actually loving having her sister in her room for a sleepover, but Bianca knew she couldn’t say away forever and had to face Heath sooner rather than later so had gone home just after breakfast. She walked through to their bedroom and lifted the suit case from the floor, laying it on the bed. It saddened her that it hadn’t even been put back in its place on top of the wardrobe from getting back from their honeymoon yet. “I thought I heard you come in,” Heath appeared at the doorway. “I’m glad you came home.” Heath waked further into the room, giving her a weak smile. She’d only been gone for one night but he’d missed her like crazy.

“I’m only home because you are leaving.” Bianca murmured walking over to the wardrobe and taking out some of Heath’s clothes, throwing them into the suitcase, not even bothering to fold them for him.

“Bee,” Heath walked closer to her. “We don’t have to be over.” Heath went to touch her but Bianca moved away from him.

“But we do,” Bianca pursed her lips as she tried to stop her eyes welling up with tears. “You cheated on me and you have a love child.” Bianca shook her head as the tear fell from her cheek. Yesterday morning she was the happiest she’d ever been, having just returned from an amazing honeymoon with the love of her life but one little visit from a woman and her small child changed everything forever.

“I love you so much,” Heath sounded emotional. “Please give me that second chance.”

Bianca took a deep breath as she shook her head. “I can’t. It’s hurts too much. I can’t forgive you,” This was all too raw for Bianca to even contemplate giving Heath a second chance. Right now, she needed space from him. She walked back over to the wardrobe, pulling more of his clothes out and throwing them into the suitcase. “We have to be. We have to be over.” Bianca told him, this time walking over to the set of drawers and pulling one open.

“Stop,” Heath raised his voice as he walked over to Bianca, grabbing his clothes from her and throwing them back in the drawer. “We can get through this. I don’t have to have anything to do Dylan.” Heath told her.

“His mother is dying,” Bianca raised her voice. “How do you think he’ll feel when he knows his father didn’t want him?” Bianca questioned. “You have to be a father to him and I’m not going to be the bitch who stopped you,” Bianca told him. “Please, Heath. Don’t make this any harder than it already is,” Bianca said, wiping a tear from her cheek. “Just leave.” This was breaking Bianca’s heart. Of course she didn’t want them to be over but he had been unfaithful, and worse, this betrayal had resulted in a child.

Heath shook his head as he put his hand onto Bianca’s cheek. “I don’t want to let this go.” Heath spoke quietly, knowing if he spoke at normal volume, he’d break into tears. Bianca let his hand sit there for a moment as they gazed into each other’s eyes.

“You have too.” Bianca murmured as she pulled away, bowing her head down, unable to look at Heath any longer. Heath cleared his throat, trying to stay composed.

“I’ll pack some more stuff then be out of your way then.” Heath had no idea where he was going to go but he knew right now that he needed to do things Bianca’s way for now. Bianca nodded slightly as she walked out of the bedroom and walked down the hall to the bathroom, locking herself inside. She leaned on one of the walls as she burst into tears, sliding herself down the wall and landing on the floor, the tears flooding down her face.

Charlie and the kids had gone to the beach for the afternoon and Brax had accompanied them. Charlie and Ben were up at the beach kiosk, getting ice-creams for everyone and Maya was down on the shore jumping waves, which left Brax and Ruby sitting in the sand to talk. “So like what are your intentions?” Ruby got straight to it.

“Uhm,” Brax rubbed one hand over the other. “It’s very early days but I very much like your mother,” Brax told her. “I really can see us being very happy for you know.....our lives.”

Ruby looked into his eyes, giving him a smile. “She’s had a lot of hurt,” Ruby told her. “With my dad then with Mark then Carl,” Ruby exhaled. “It’s one thing liking my mum but she’s got three kids for you to like as well.”

“I know,” Brax nodded his head. “Maya is a little cracker,” Brax smiled as he watched the girl jumping the waves, a big grin on her face. “Ben is a little more reserved but he’s a sweet little boy,” Ruby could see the smile on Brax’s face as he spoke about her siblings. Of course it was important that Brax genuinely liked the kids and didn’t just pretend to get to Charlie. “Jury is still out on her oldest kid though,” Brax joked and Ruby gasped as she slapped his arm, Brax laughing. “But Ruby, in all seriousness I don’t intend on hurting your mother.”

Ruby pursed her lips, seeing Brax genuinely liked not only her mother but her kids too. “Good,” Ruby smiled as she looked behind her, seeing her mother and Ben on their way back down the beach with the ice-creams. “Because I know she really likes you,” Ruby exhaled.

“She’s just....” Ruby bit her lip. “She’s a little worried she’ll start something with you only for you to go back up to the Gold Coast.”

“I won’t,” Brax shook his head. “I spoke with Angelo this morning and he is keen to sell to me,” Brax gave a little smile, glad he had a business prospect for when he’d officially moved to the area. “I do need to go back home to start getting my place sold but I will be moving here for sure.” Brax told her as Charlie and Ben handed out ice-creams. Charlie called out for Maya and she came bounding up the beach, crashing into the sand, sending it flying over Brax and Ruby as she grabbed her ice-cream.

“What’s this?” Charlie questioned, only hearing the end of the conversation.

“Well I was going to tell you over dinner later but,” Brax paused. He and Charlie were going to be going out for dinner that night, Ruby doing a spot of babysitting when she was back in the bay. “Angelo is going to sell to me.” Brax grinned.

“Ahh that’s great.” Charlie beamed before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

“No.” Ben squealed as he pushed on Brax’s arm, the couple separating from the kiss.

“Aww bud, mummy and Brax were just having a little kiss,” Charlie said as she ruffled his curly locks. “It’s okay.” Charlie assured him.

“No kiss mummy.” Ben shook his head as he cuddled into Charlie. She wrapped her arm around him as she placed a kiss on the top of his head.

“Brax can kiss mummy.” Charlie told him.

“No.” Ben moaned, as kicked his legs out, some sand flying out and hitting Brax.

“Benj,” Charlie spoke softly. He’d been swimming and running around a lot so was getting tired. “C’mon you eat your ice-cream then we can have a little nap, hmmm?” Charlie rubbed his back soothingly as he nodded before taking a lick of his ice-cream. She looked back to Brax, the pair exchanging a smile as they both looked please with the news of Brax taking over Angelo’s.

Thank you. :) My Parents are coming to visit so this will probably be the last chapter I can post for a couple of weeks.

nineteen

Brax walked in the house, smiling empathically as he saw Bianca sitting on the couch, looking down to her camera, a glass of wine on the coffee table as the half drunken bottle was sitting on the table. He didn’t say anything to her; he just walked across and took a seat next to her, looking down to the picture she was staring at. It was of the both of them, sitting on a boat, sitting as close to each other as possible, Heath’s arm wrapped around Bianca as the pair of them looked very much in love. “We’ve not even got them developed yet,” Bianca murmured as she leaned forward and picked up her glass of wine and took a drink. “I guess we don’t need to now though, right?” Bianca questioned.

Brax looked to the camera, seeing Bianca had pressed the delete button, a question popping up on screen to ask if she was sure she wanted to delete the file. “There’s no hope at all?” Brax took the camera from her, so she couldn’t delete the pictures, thinking she may regret it in the future.

Bianca shook her head as she took a gulp of wine. “Would you forgive your new wife if she cheated on you and got pregnant?” Bianca questioned, taking another drink as she knew why Brax was being silent.

“It’s not about what I’d do,” Brax murmured. “I just think you two have so much love and it would be a shame for you to never have any hope of reconciliation.”

Bianca shook her head as Brax saw a tear roll down her cheek. “I can’t.” Bianca murmured.

Brax exhaled lightly. “If you want me to move out and give you space I can.” Brax had been staying in the guest room.

“No no,” Bianca shook her head. “I think I am going to like that you are still around. The house won’t seem empty. It was already weird with April being at uni and now Heath is gone....” Bianca bowed her head. “I don’t want to be alone.”

“Okay, I’ll stay,” Brax gave her a little smile as he rubbed her arm. “Now, I’m supposed to be going out for dinner with Charlie tonight but if you want me to stay and keep you company we can reschedule.”

“No no,” Bianca sniffed back as she wiped her hand across her eyes. “I’m not about to stand in the way of true love,” Bianca managed a little grin. She was pleased that they were getting together. From the moment she met Brax she thought he’d be the perfect match for Charlie. “Just....” Bianca bit her lip. “You’ll take good care of her, right? And the little ones?”

“Yeah,” Brax nodded, a grin on his face. “It’s very early days but there’s something special there.” Brax said, Bianca seeing the look he had on her face, clearly liking Charlie very much already.

“Well I’m glad love is going well for someone.” Bianca murmured as she ran her hand up and down the stem of the wine glass.

“Maybe it still can for you,” Brax told her. “I know not right now. Heath’s been an idiot and I agree that you need some space but you two have been together for over 5 years, you.....if a woman looked at me the way you look at Heath I’d be lucky,” Brax said. “And Heath adores you,” Brax told her. “Maybe in the future you will can make this work again.” Brax thought they were a great couple and would hate to see them being over for good. Right now though, he understood Bianca and didn’t blame her for throwing Heath out.

Bianca took a deep breath as she shook her head. “I can’t forgive him. And seeing Dylan will just always remind me of his betrayal,” Bianca sniffed back. “I love him so much but I can’t....” Bianca trailed off as fresh tears rolled down her cheeks. Brax exhaled lightly as he opened his arm out, Bianca falling into his chest in tears.

“Mummy,” Maya frowned as she walked into Charlie’s bedroom. Charlie was sitting at her dresser applying her mascara, getting herself ready for her date with Brax. “Why does Darryl always ask you out for dates and not me?” Maya questioned as she climbed up onto Charlie’s bed and stared at her mother. “He’s my friend.”

Charlie turned to look at her daughter, placing the mascara tube on her dresser. “Because Brax and mummy are dating each other,” Charlie told her. “You know, like he is going to be my boyfriend.”

“No,” Maya screeched. “He can’t be your boyfriend because he is my friend,” Maya hit her finger against her chest. “I saw him first.”

Charlie gave a little laugh. “He can still be your friend darling,” Charlie told her, getting up from the little blue velvet stool and walking over to her bed, bending down to her daughter’s level, her hands resting on her little knees. “It’s very important to mummy that you and Ben get on well with Brax.” Charlie said, rubbing her daughter’s thigh.

“And Ruby?” Maya wondered.

“Ruby too.” Charlie answered.

“So,” Maya exhaled as she paused for a moment. “Do you mean he might become my daddy?”

This question threw Charlie a little. “Well it’s very early to start saying that he might be your daddy,” Charlie rubbed Maya’s cheek. “But we will be spending time together and sometimes you and Ben will be there too.” Charlie told her.

Maya gave a little smile. “Do you think he would take us to Dreamworld?” Maya questioned, her face lighting up even at the very thought of it. Charlie stifled a laugh, but of course it was probably possible. Brax did live on the Gold Coast after all and said he’d need to go home to sort out his restaurant and apartment.

“Maybe one day.” Charlie answered, Maya squealing in excitement.

“Mummy,” Maya tucked her hair behind her ear. “Well if Darryl was going to be my daddy it would be good because then I wouldn’t be sad that my real daddy doesn’t see me.” Maya told her mother, her face saddening as she bowed her head a little.

Charlie felt her heart tug a little as her daughter’s sadness and it was the first time in a long time that she actually felt selfish for depriving Mark of his daughter. She hadn’t really thought too much of how it would impact Maya when she made that decision over 3 years ago now. She took a deep breath as she rubbed Maya’s cheek again. “Is that something you’d like?” Charlie questioned. “To see your real daddy?”

“Sometimes when I play with Autumn and her daddy is there playing with us or comes to hug and kiss her I get sad because I don’t have a daddy doing that for me.” Maya murmured as she bowed her head down again, not looking at her mother.

“Well what if I told you that I could arrange for you to see your real daddy?” Charlie questioned. She hadn’t made a decision about Mark seeing the kids yet and thought it might be smart to see if Maya actually wanted to see her daddy. Maybe she was used to not seeing him that she would decide she didn’t want to see him. And then she didn’t want to tell Mark he could see the kids for Maya not to want to meet her.

“You could do that?” Maya gasped and Charlie gave a little nod. “But it would be scary. I don’t know who he is.” Maya said, looking a little concerned.

“Well mummy would be there too,” Charlie said, Charlie of course not about to let Mark go off on his own with the kids the first time he met them. “So, if you’d like to see your daddy then you can tell me. It would be okay.” Charlie assured her.

“I’d like too.” Maya answered, Charlie taking a deep breath. She wasn’t sure how she felt about Maya’s choice but she had to put her daughter’s wants and needs first.

“Well I’ll get that arranged, okay?” Charlie said and Maya nodded as a smile appeared on her face.

“But also,” Maya said, holding her index finger up and waving it at her mother. “Tell Darryl he is taking us all to Dreamworld.” Maya scolded.

“Okay, I will.” Charlie laughed; glad the thought of meeting her real daddy didn’t put her off wanting to spend time with Brax.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the comments. :)

twenty

Charlie and Brax walked up the path to Charlie’s house after being out for dinner. They kept their hands linked as they stopped walking, turning to face each other. “So,” Brax exhaled. “I’ve had another great night.” Brax said, tucking her hair behind her ear as they gazed into each other’s eyes.

“Me too.” Charlie smiled as they softly kissed each other’s lips.

“And you can tell Maya that her want to go to Dreamworld is noted,” Brax gave a little chuckle. “But I’ll let you go.” Brax looked to the door before looking back to Charlie.

“I was uhm,” Charlie cleared her throat. “I was thinking of asking you in but if you don’t want too....” Charlie trailed off as she looked to the front door before looking back to Brax, seeing a slight smile etching on his face.

“I’d love to come in.” Brax murmured, Charlie smiling at him before she opened the door of the house. They walked down the hall and into the kitchen, Charlie throwing her bag down on the table.

“Can I get you a beer?” Charlie questioned as she walked over to the fridge.

“Sure.” Brax answered as she pulled two beers out, handing one to Brax. They twisted the caps off and clinked them together before they both took a drink.

“How’s Bianca?” Charlie questioned. They’d managed to stay off the topic of Heath and Bianca over dinner but Charlie was keen to know how her best friend was doing.

“She’s trying to act tough,” Brax exhaled as they both leaned against the worktop. “She’ll have a moment where she lets it out but then she closes up again.” Brax answered.

“I can’t believe him,” Charlie shook her head. “He had Bianca for goodness sake,” Charlie muttered. “It just makes me so angry thinking about it, I...” Charlie trailed off , taking a deep breath to compose herself. She was on a lovely date with Brax so now wasn’t the time to think about Heath and what he’d done.

“Then how about right now, we don’t?” Brax questioned and he moved closer to Charlie, lightly rubbing her cheek. “I know she’s your friend and you care about her but maybe you can go see her tomorrow and we can continue our nice night tonight.” Brax murmured.

“You think there is something else going to happen like?” Charlie questioned, giving a cheeky grin as she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him in so their bodies were pressed together.

“Well,” Brax looked away shyly. “You did ask me in.”

Charlie gave a little laugh as she raised her eyebrows before placing a soft kiss on his lips. “Well I guess since you are here it would make sense to stay over, right?” Charlie murmured as she looked into his eyes.

Brax cleared his throat as a smile appeared on his face. “Only if you want me too. I don’t want to rush you into anything.”

“I wouldn’t have asked you in if I didn’t want you to be here,” Charlie said, the smile on Brax’s face growing larger before they shared a kiss. “But if you want to leave....” Charlie trailed off.

“Not a chance.” Brax shook his head before kissing her again. Charlie smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as Brax lifted her up onto the worktop, standing in between her legs as she wrapped them around his waist, the kiss only intensifying.

Bianca was out for a run, mostly trying to clear her head before her first day back at work since returning from her honeymoon. How was she going to tell her colleagues that she’d already separated from her husband? They man they’d come to watch her marry only two weeks beforehand? She stopped as she saw him in the distance, her stomach churning she saw Dylan walking next to him, his little hand in Heath’s. Then, of course she saw Jess holding onto Dylan’s other hand. Heath looked up, catching eye contact with his estranged wife. He smiled as he walked in her direction, Bianca wanting to leave but she felt herself frozen to the spot. “Lovely morning isn’t it?” Jess spoke first as let go of Dylan’s hand, the little boy also letting go of Heath and running down to the sand. “Not too far.” Jess said, before walking off after her son, his bucket and spade in her hand.

“Playing happy families?” Bianca murmured, not able to look at Heath. She loved him so much and couldn’t bear to see him handsome face, knowing they couldn’t be together.

“I’m just getting to know my son,” The words stung Bianca. Heath’s son should be her son. Not Heath’s son to another woman. He looked out to Dylan who’d started collecting sand in his bucket before looking back to Bianca. “I miss you.”

Bianca took a deep breath to stay composed. “I need to go.” Bianca turned around, wanting to walk away from him.

“Babe,” Heath stepped forward, taking hold of her arm, stopping her from moving. “We can try. I know I did wrong and I’ll spend the rest of our lives making it up to you,” Heath sounded like he was going to cry. “But I can’t lose you. Please.”

Bianca shook her head as she pulled away from his grasp. “You cheated on me. And now you have a son from that.”

“We can still be happy,” Heath exhaled. “I don’t have any feelings for Jess. I...I don’t want to be with her,” Heath shook his head. He knew they both knew she was dying but still felt the need to say this, for if Jess was healthy, he still wouldn’t want to be with her. “You are all I want.”

Bianca wiped her hand over her eyes as she felt tear forming as she glanced at Dylan before looking back to Heath. “And Dylan?” Bianca questioned.

“I want to be a dad to him,” Heath said. “Especially if he can’t be with his mum then he should be with me,” Heath rolled his wedding ring around his finger as he spoke. “But that doesn’t have to mean it’s the end of us,” Heath told her. “He doesn’t have to be with me full term,” Heath said, thinking maybe he could share custody with Jess’ parents. “He can come for visits.”

“Dylan not being with us wouldn’t change what you did and if he was in the Bay he’s going to be a constant reminded of your betrayal,” Bianca sniffed back. “I’m sorry but you ended us for good.” Bianca told him, before turning and breaking into a run so Heath couldn’t stop her again.

Maya ran into the kitchen to get her breakfast, gasping as she saw Brax was in the house. “Darryl,” Maya climbed up onto her chair. “Did you sleepover?” Maya questioned as Ruby and Ben came into the room.

Brax cleared his throat as he looked to Charlie, who put two bowls of coco pops down at the kids’ places. She gave a little nod, telling Brax it was okay to answer. “Yes. Yes I stayed over.”

“Where did you sleep?” Maya wondered, her big blue eyes going all wide as she picked up her glass of orange juice.

“In your mummy’s bed.” Brax answered.

“Oh Darryl,” Maya sounded shocked. “You didn’t need to share. My room has a trundle bed you could have slept on.”

Ruby laughed. “I think he’d have had more fun in mum’s room.”

Charlie glared at Ruby before looking at Brax who’d let out a little laugh. “No, Ruby,” Maya sighed. “We could have watched Frozen then went to bed and spoke ‘bout Princesses and stuff.”

“Well maybe one day we could have a Princess sleepover,” Brax said, Maya grinning as she took a spoonful of her cereal, clearly liking that idea. “And how are you this fine morning mate?” Brax said, looking to Ben who was putting his spoon into his cereal. Ben glanced at Brax for a moment before looking to Charlie then taking his spoon to his mouth to eat.

“You won’t get much out of him until he’s eaten his breakfast.” Charlie said, running her hand over his curly locks.

“I see.” Brax took a drink of his juice before looking round the table to Charlie and her kids. He smiled to himself, feeling right at home and comfortable around them. He’d had an amazing night with Charlie the night before and knew their relationship was developing into something that was going to be special.

Archived