Cast size

joany208121

Imo the current cast size is way too big!!! We have no time to see charaters interact daily and in effect some characters are hardly seen at all. This feels like the biggest cast we've wver had, and with upcoming departures, maybe the show can focus more on developing everyday relationships and not throw cast members together and expect them to know each other ( like ricky and Irene after the bomb). As of the end of 2014 we had 9 high school aged students, which in comparison with neighbours who will soon have none, we need to give time to develop characters.

This is also partially the reason why we haven't had a good "teen gang", as there are way too many people.

Home and Away currently has 25 regulars, which is only one more than Neighbours so I'm not sure what the problem is.(It's more a case of Neighbours having too few school-age characters than Home and Away having too many.)It's a manageable cast size, they just need to make more of an effort to build stronger links between characters.The show has possibly improved on this in recent years: Thinking about it, while the cast is a bit fractured into groups still, those groups do seem to be larger and there do seem to be more characters who cross between them.If you look at the teen characters, while it's rare to see them all hanging out together as much as we used to, they are all connected and you could put any two of them in a scene without it feeling too strange.

I think the issue is there's too many households with too few people whereas there's a lot in the Braxton house and at Leah's:

Summer Bay House = 3 - Alf, Roo & Maddy (needs more)

The Old Nash House = 5 - Leah, Zac, VJ, Matt and Nate (too many)

Braxton House = 7 - Brax, Ricki, Andy, Ash, Kyle, Phoebe and Josh (too many)

Palmer House = 3 - John, Marilyn and Jett (ok)

The Farmhouse - 4 - Hannah, Denny, Evelyn, Oscar (needs more of a parent figure back)

The Beach House - 4 - Irene, Chris, Spencer and Sasha (ok)

They really need to establish more of a parental role with Hannah for Evie & Oscar, Zac could do this, but if he's with Leah then Nate. They need to get rid of some of the Braxton household and have more characters in Summer Bay House.

Im Comparing this to previous cast sizes, and

IMO the cast size is fine but some characters can go like Phoebe as she brings nothing. The 'teen gang' is Evie, Maddy, Oscar, Spencer, Sasha and Matt. I do miss the groups like Ric/Matilda one as well as Jade, Kirsty and Dani.

you are forgetting vj, jet and josh

I read on the offical page, that a shakeup in the SBH will occur later in the year, hopefully it will fix this.

We haven't had any storylines for some characters in a while like Maz or Oscar, and then so when characters such as Spencer get a storyline after a year (the online girlfriend) they get quick endings and swept under the carpet.

Well...okay, you had 12 characters on the opening titles in the early days but it went up to 18 very quickly (and all those characters had been there since the first month anyway) and you've probably had an average of about 20 since then, with maybe five either way.And even with only 12-18 in the first year, there were characters who didn't have many storylines (Lynn, Matt, Floss and Neville, even Celia) so I guess it's always been a problem and there's always been a tendency for some characters to dominate.Oscar had all the stuff with possibly getting Maddy pregnant, Marilyn has had all the stuff with adopting Jett and learning to be a mother figure, so I don't think anyone's been too neglected.

I think the issue is there's too many households with too few people whereas there's a lot in the Braxton house and at Leah's:

The Farmhouse - 4 - Hannah, Denny, Evelyn, Oscar (needs more of a parent figure back)

They really need to establish more of a parental role with Hannah for Evie & Oscar, Zac could do this, but if he's with Leah then Nate. They need to get rid of some of the Braxton household and have more characters in Summer Bay House.

Oh gosh, not Nate, I'd trust him even less as a role model than I would Hannah.I actually wouldn't mind if Nate moved out of Leah's (where he doesn't really fit anyway) and Oscar and Evelyn moved in with Zac and Leah: Yes, that would be even more people living there but they'd feel more like a family than a random collection of characters.It's ironic that Spencer seemed to get moved out of the caravan park because there wasn't room for him and now there's hardly anyone there, they could possibly do with moving him back and possibly Chris as well although I wouldn't want to lose the relationship between him and Irene, and having someone else at the beach house.

Oh gosh, not Nate, I'd trust him even less as a role model than I would Hannah.I actually wouldn't mind if Nate moved out of Leah's (where he doesn't really fit anyway) and Oscar and Evelyn moved in with Zac and Leah: Yes, that would be even more people living there but they'd feel more like a family than a random collection of characters.It's ironic that Spencer seemed to get moved out of the caravan park because there wasn't room for him and now there's hardly anyone there, they could possibly do with moving him back and possibly Chris as well although I wouldn't want to lose the relationship between him and Irrene, and having someone else at the beach house.

See that's the thing, Nate just doesn't fit anywhere. Zac, Leah, Oscar, Evelyn and VJ would make a nice family.

Maybe Nate at the Beach House.

Archived