The Sets Thread

It's a shame that the Townhouse isn't around anymore, I liked it because it was unique, it was small but big with it being 2-storey. You saw a lot of the interior during its time including bedrooms which was a rarity compared to everywhere else. I think that it was "forgotten" because although Roman gave ownership of the house to Nicole, at the time Nicole was still in school and ended up repeating the following year so wouldn't have realistically been able to afford the bills. So it made sense that she moved out and Aden whom actually had a salary from his occupation as a deckhand/diner/bait shop worker could pay for everything comfortably as he was an adult. As for it being forgotten, it doesn't surprise me that it was really because when you think about it. Only Aden and Justin were living in it at the time, Nicole was in a great position being taken in by Miles and Alf at the Summer Bay House without carrying extra responsibilities so the chances of her moving in there were unlikely unless Aden stayed in the bay. And when Aden left the bay, because it was so low-key and from memory Aden didn't really have anyone he was too close to living there (aside from Nicole which as a result of him leaving, ended their friendship) I don't think anyone would have cared too much for the house except Nicole, whom as I said was all set up at Summer Bay House. Another thing is, even though Roman gave Nicole ownership, because Nicole barely acted on it (for possible reasons of the fact that she is too young to own a house), technically Nicole wasn't really the owner and Roman was. Aden leaving wouldn't have affected ownership of it, he would have either took temporary ownership before he left (or maybe even claimed it himself), or rented it out to Nicole. So basically, Roman (who technically is the owner) being in jail is the reason why I think it was forgotten. If he didn't depart that way and the location retired after his departure then it would have made a lot more sense I think.

Another location which I am sad isn't in use is the Braxton House, off-camera "the landlord" (who I am led to believe is either Tony or Matilda. I think it has to be one of them as the Braxton's never named the person assuming this landlord left the bay before the Braxton's arrived) decided to sell the house in mid-2016. Meaning that the people renting (who at the time was Nate and Ash moved out. I think I would have liked to see it stay, and just had Nate move into Irene's and Ash not renting the small sharehouse and just the main one as I thought the house was quite cool. I actually thought the Morgan's would move in but it would have been a decision which would seem too predictable for them to conveniently move in right when the Braxton's are gone. So in a way I am happy that the Morgan's moved elsewhere but unhappy that the location was retired.

I'd like to see both those locations return to the show, not sure if the likely-hood of it happening is too high at all though. I also wish Leah's house was never burnt down, however the direction that the show is going means there is more share-houses containing young adults over family homes and foster homes.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony and Rachel left in 2010 and the house didn't immediately transfer to anyone else. I'm sure Roo was mentioned as the landlord of the property in early 2011 when she lived there, and eventually let the place to the Braxtons. But this seemed to be forgotten later on.

Perhaps Dan has a better memory of that history?

I too wish they hadn't abandoned this set, and Leah's house. Especially as the producers obviously realise the historical significance of sets otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to reintroduce the exterior location for Summer Bay House.

59 minutes ago, cadyctslover said:

Tony and Rachel left in 2010 and the house didn't immediately transfer to anyone else. I'm sure Roo was mentioned as the landlord of the property in early 2011 when she lived there, and eventually let the place to the Braxtons. But this seemed to be forgotten later on.

Ruby, Charlie and Angelo moved in. Not straight away, but definitely later in 2010. Angelo stayed until he left and in-between that Roo, Nicole, Indi and Romeo all moved in. (it was something like that), the reason why I think it was probably Tony is because he never met the Braxtons and if the landlord was someone who was still around then they would be referred to as their actual name I would've thought. You do bring up a good point however. I do recall Roo had some say in the property but from memory Roo originally moved in with Angelo as Angelo told her he had spare rooms. 

There is a possibility that the landlord could be Angelo, as he never met Kyle or Ash whom have referred to the owner of the property as the landlord, but I think it would make more sense if it was someone they never met on-screen. Hence my theory as to why I think it's probably Tony/Rachel. I only think Matilda as it was Beth's place and I am certain that when Beth died she was given ownership even though Tony the stable adult would have realistically sorted out the bills.

Back to the "door at the bottom of the stairs" in Summer Bay House.

I am sure in one episode it was incorrectly used as the front door (instead of being where the 4th wall is). I remember paramedics wheeling someone out of the door on a stretcher. I think it was a friend of Marilyn's??

2 hours ago, beau_t said:

Back to the "door at the bottom of the stairs" in Summer Bay House.

I am sure in one episode it was incorrectly used as the front door (instead of being where the 4th wall is). I remember paramedics wheeling someone out of the door on a stretcher. I think it was a friend of Marilyn's??

Yeah it was Mitzy in Ep 5179 - though we didn't actually see the door, they did bizarrely take a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the staircase.

As for the ownership/leaseholder of the Braxton House, it's pretty much as has already been said - messy with no proper on-screen explanations. Roo was indeed mentioned around 2011, but it seemed to be implied that it was someone else in more recent years.

Roo definitely didn't own it, she just took over the lease, but Tony had been the landlord, although the Hunters owned the house still I think, unless he bought it off them when he married Rachel - I think there might have been something. It's whether it was sold in the meantime. 

8 hours ago, c120701 said:

Roo definitely didn't own it, she just took over the lease, but Tony had been the landlord, although the Hunters owned the house still I think, unless he bought it off them when he married Rachel - I think there might have been something. It's whether it was sold in the meantime. 

Yeah, I think it's Tony. Even though the Hunters technically were the owners. I believe that once Beth died, Tony would have been the one sorting all the bills and technically acting as the owner. If it was Roo, the Braxtons would refer to the landlord as Roo and not "Landlord"

• 4 months later...
On 16/06/2016 at 4:21 PM, Dan F said:

...that door to the downstairs bedroom has officially disappeared now. We saw that corner of the hallway when Hunter was sneaking around.

On 16/06/2016 at 6:49 PM, c120701 said:

That's interesting, I wonder if that was when they redecorated when Miles was there. Given the lengths they've gone to recently to match the set to the exterior, I'd expect the current set designers to add the door & additional room rather than take it away.

On 17/06/2016 at 4:20 PM, Matt said:

Interesting you should mention that, because if it's the door that is to the left of the big opening from the living room to the entry corridor, it was back last night!

On 17/06/2016 at 4:35 PM, Dan F said:

I think you're referring to the linen cupboard at the end of the hall?

This door was at the other end of the hall, past the staircase and near the front door - but it was only seen on a couple of occasions (I can only think of one time offhand around the Sutherland/Hunter era).

Though when the bedroom was used for the one and only time in 1988, we didn't actually see the door from the hallway side, only from inside the room - so we can't be 100% on whereabouts it was actually situated (the direction Tom and Danny come into the room also confuses things but that's a whole other story)

To bring this conversation up again, I just happened to come across what could be the final appearance of that mythical door, so have finally got a shot of it - it's visible in Colleen's farewell episode in 2012.

5523.avi_snapshot_10.00_2017.05.25_17.17

• Dan F changed the title to The Sets Thread

Archived