1999-2000

adam436

After some discussion in the thread about Natalie Nash, I thought I would start a new thread about this topic.

Can anyway tell me why there was such a huge turn-over of cast from mid-late 1999 through to the end of 2000? The show seemed to change direction in mid-2000 when the Sutherlands arrived and I was just wondering if the cast turnover was the producers trying to facilitate this.

Travis, Rebecca, Chloe, Marilyn, Sam, Jesse and Ailsa, all of whom were quite popular and long-term chararacters, left the show. Characters come and go as far as I know they all left by choice, but it did have a detremental effect on the overall show and perhaps sparked the cast changes that followed as the show tried to find its feet again. I sometimes wonder whether the storyline with Ailsa and Shauna contributed somewhat to Judy's decision to leave for good.

Joel, Natalie, Tom and Justine also departed the show and all lived in Summer Bay House, future home to the Sutherlands. Were they axed to make way for them or was it coincidence they all left by choice?

We had a large number of characters (some quite promising) who all arrived during this period and lasted less than 18 months: Peta, Edward, Judith, Shauna, Harry, Mitch, James and Ken. I know Anthony Phelan (Ken) left by choice, but were the rest written out because they weren't working out? I am assuming James was axed, as he was basically dedundant following his split from Chole and I assume the writers wanted Shauna to become a long-term member of the Stewart clan, so Judy Nunn's departure probably threw a spanner in the works for her.

The cast from 2000 onwards was generally more stable but in my opinion were not as interesting (the exceptions being Colleen, Leah and Noah when he wasn't with Hayley!). I would much have preferred Edward, Peta, Justine and the Nashes over Nick Smith and the Sutherlands.

Some years have a big turnover, and some years don't. I don't think that anything particular happened but some long stayer's decided not to renew their contract, and it also seem that some actors/actresses with shorter contracts decided to leave in the same year. It doesn't have to do with the show itself, but probably private personal factors. Rebecca's actress had cancer, Emily Symons wanted to get some acting experience in UK, etc.

I liked those years. I thought they were refreshing for the show.

I agree with the comment that they may have been dumped because the characters weren't working out. I found it hard to attach onto the characters such Peta, Edward, Mitch, James and Ken all had their storylines dropped, and weren't placed on a realistic time scale. Maybe this is why I couldn't grow to like them, because when they did act, they did a decent job.

Some years have a big turnover, and some years don't. I don't think that anything particular happened but some long stayer's decided not to renew their contract, and it also seem that some actors/actresses with shorter contracts decided to leave in the same year. It doesn't have to do with the show itself, but probably private personal factors. Rebecca's actress had cancer, Emily Symons wanted to get some acting experience in UK, etc.

Did she get well?

Did she get well?

Ufortunately not. Belinda Emmet, who played Rebecca Fischer/Nash for most of the time (Rebecca Fischer/Nash was played by other actresses in shorter periods) died in 2006 according to Wiki.

I am assuming James was axed, as he was basically dedundant following his split from Chole

The actor decided to leave to move to America with his girlfriend (she was American and couldn't stay in Australia).

That's interesting. I always assumed James was axed too, as it did feel like the character had come to an end. I wonder what they would have done with him if he'd stayed around. I did find James a very likeable character. He didn't stand out much but he was a reliable character to have around.

Archived