Is Ailsa Home & Away's Version of Helen Daniels

j.laur5

I know Helen Daniels does not have a dark past like Ailsa.

But I see lot of similarities between the two characters. They are both universally loved by everyone and are prim and proper ladies. They both love the town they live in and would never leave.

They both see good in troubled teens.

Who agrees?.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see some comparisons as well.

Firstly, both characters were on Neighbours and Home and Away for twelve years respectively but there are some key differences as well that need to be noted.

Helen was a grandmother (matriarch) figure to the Ramsay Street folk whereas I always saw Ailsa as being a largely respected member of the Summer Bay community but she hadn't become a grandmotherly figure like Helen was as she was still a mother to a very young Duncan and she didn't know who Shauna was until the last few months of her life but in saying that she did take a lot of kids under her wing like Bobby for example.

In regards to marriage and relationships, Ailsa was practically with Alf from the start of the show until they married in May 1988 and they were together until her death whereas Helen was a widow from the start of the show and she went through two marriages after that with Michael Daniels in 1991 which was unsuccessful and then with Reuben White (portrayed by her real-life husband at the time) who ended up passing away in the same year in 1995.

Also the backgrounds of Helen and Ailsa are vastly different. Presumably, Helen came from a very good background with a loving and supporting family around her whereas Ailsa's background was troubled as she was brought up in an abusive household which eventually resulted in her killing her father and then serving jail time as a result before she arrived in Summer Bay in 1987 if my memory serves me correctly.

In saying that, the similarities you listed are valid and I agree with you on that.

The similarities listed by the original poster are correct, but I'd say Pippa was more H&A's version of Helen Daniels, in that they are the ones who were the "centre" of the show and the ones everyone looked to for advice.

I don't like that Ailsa became "prim and proper". She was pretty common in the first year. But Ailsa's such a different character in that first year, does anyone agree?

The similarities listed by the original poster are correct, but I'd say Pippa was more H&A's version of Helen Daniels, in that they are the ones who were the "centre" of the show and the ones everyone looked to for advice.

I don't like that Ailsa became "prim and proper". She was pretty common in the first year. But Ailsa's such a different character in that first year, does anyone agree?

Ailsa was never common and common is a very strong word!.

No, I think Pippa was lot more fiery and pigheaded than Helen.

I think Pippa was more like Madge as Pippa can at times have a hard side to her character.

Even though Pippa was a very different character to Madge.

Ailsa was never common and common is a very strong word!.

No, I think Pippa was lot more fiery and pigheaded than Helen.

I think Pippa was more like Madge as Pippa can at times have a hard side to her character.

Even though Pippa was a very different character to Madge.

I was talking in terms of the character's point within the show. Pippa and Helen served the same purpose. But their personalities were different, yes.

Ailsa was a lot more straight-talking and down to earth in the first year. She has become a bit more prim and proper now.

There are a few similarities, but I think Helen could be quite judgmental and a bit snobbish/passive aggressive sometimes. She's definitely one of my all time favourite Neighbours characters.

Ailsa definitely changed compared to the first 12-18 months of the show. She seemed to have a younger or more laid-back attitude and could be a lot more feisty during the first year.

Had Anne Haddy not died, she'd probably still be in Neighbours.

Well Anne Haddy would be 84 if she was still alive. I'd say there's a good chance she would have retired by now or at least have had to cut her hours back.

But if Anne Haddy was in good health she would have lasted on Neighbours for at least another 10 more years.

Archived