Most Popular Character 2014

Dan F

No Rachel is the biggest surprise to me. She was hugely popular once upon a time (around the time she was with Kim), but pairing her up with Tony "the storyline vacuum" Holden just killed her.

Completely agree.

The thing I remember about Rachel is that she became popular from the moment she arrived which is quite unusual. And then the first 2 years (particularly the first) she kept getting handed amazing scenes with dialogue which she performed brilliantly. And then she went into the background and became "one of the adults" if you know what I mean by that. She was no longer the cool character getting the big storylines, she was the supporting grown-up.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Rachel is the biggest surprise to me. She was hugely popular once upon a time (around the time she was with Kim), but pairing her up with Tony "the storyline vacuum" Holden just killed her.

Completely agree.

The thing I remember about Rachel is that she became popular from the moment she arrived which is quite unusual. And then the first 2 years (particularly the first) she kept getting handed amazing scenes with dialogue which she performed brilliantly. And then she went into the background and became "one of the adults" if you know what I mean by that. She was no longer the cool character getting the big storylines, she was the supporting grown-up.

I don't agree, she had a lot of storylines with Tony and was much more than a supporting character in my opinion.

She and Tony had a lot of problems which was very well developed including pregnancy, depression, kidnapping of Rachel and also baby Harry later on, loosing Tony's son, going through grief, post-natal depression and more...

And besides all that she had doctor storylines which lead her to be heavily involved in Belles cancer and death storyline and the Hugo and the smuggling storyline, Dan's death and several other storylines. And I really liked that, she had storylines on her own and at the same time had a role as the towns doctor.

I think that she had more storylines from 2008-2010 than 2006-08. But her past was probably better developed earlier... but that was the same for every character from 2004. The past is not often revisited and further developed.

I am probably a bit surprised that she didn't get any votes, but at the same time I am not. She and Tony had a lot of die-hard fans who aren't on this site any more. And I think she suffered from the second best syndrome. I think many other people than the died hard fans still liked her but would not name her as one of the best 5 characters ever. I think that several other characters suffered from that "syndrome" too... And should probably have been on that list, or higher up than they were.

Rachel was never my favourite. But she was ok with Tony, but not great. But in many ways I liked her as a doctor when I look back in time. Because she is the last really caring doctor, maybe too caring at times. But I still prefer a doctor with a lot of empathy and sympathy instead of a hard doctor with little empathy and a totally tool of a doctor without any professionalism at all.

Flynn was much better, but she was the last doctor who really seem like a small town doctor to me because she was involved with all kind of people. And she really seemed to care about her patients and others. And I really like that. She was human for me, and for me that is important. And she should definitely have been on this list.

And about portraying adults; I think that both Tony and Rachel were portrayed extremely much better as adults than the adult characters are today. They had a lot of storylines, had much drama and were certainly not only there for "funny storylines" as todays adult characters are. I really miss these kind of adults.

Completely agree.

I don't agree, she had a lot of storylines with Tony and was much more than a supporting character in my opinion.

She and Tony had a lot of problems which was very well developed including pregnancy, depression, kidnapping of Rachel and also baby Harry later on, loosing Tony's son, going through grief, post-natal depression and more...

And besides all that she had doctor storylines which lead her to be heavily involved in Belles cancer and death storyline and the Hugo and the smuggling storyline, Dan's death and several other storylines. And I really liked that, she had storylines on her own and at the same time had a role as the towns doctor.

I think that she had more storylines from 2008-2010 than 2006-08. But her past was probably better developed earlier... but that was the same for every character from 2004. The past is not often revisited and further developed.

I am probably a bit surprised that she didn't get any votes, but at the same time I am not. She and Tony had a lot of die-hard fans who aren't on this site any more. And I think she suffered from the second best syndrome. I think many other people than the died hard fans still liked her but would not name her as one of the best 5 characters ever. I think that several other characters suffered from that "syndrome" too... And should probably have been on that list, or higher up than they were.

Rachel was never my favourite. But she was ok with Tony, but not great. But in many ways I liked her as a doctor when I look back in time. Because she is the last really caring doctor, maybe too caring at times. But I still prefer a doctor with a lot of empathy and sympathy instead of a hard doctor with little empathy and a totally tool of a doctor without any professionalism at all.

Flynn was much better, but she was the last doctor who really seem like a small town doctor to me because she was involved with all kind of people. And she really seemed to care about her patients and others. And I really like that. She was human for me, and for me that is important. And she should definitely have been on this list.

And about portraying adults; I think that both Tony and Rachel were portrayed extremely much better as adults than the adult characters are today. They had a lot of storylines, had much drama and were certainly not only there for "funny storylines" as todays adult characters are. I really miss these kind of adults.

I agree with the second best syndrome - I think this was the same reason why Jett didn't feature higher. I think Rachel was generally popular , and prob would have done better if we were all listing our top 10 or top 20.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived