Just The Girl

Guest KristinaLeigh

At 9 am music already blared from Angelo's Pizzeria as Heath and Brax lifted in a delivery. The beach was already beginning to fill up and you could spot surfers in the distance, catching the early morning waves. The sun was beating down on the early morning runners, and the lifeguards were already out in full force. Sasha stood at the top of the beach against a fence, silently watching.

"Didn't think you'd come?" she said, as Spencer appeared. "We said we'd work out at nine, didn't we?" he questioned, expressionless. He wouldn't even look at her. He had driven her home last night, and she had cried the entire journey. "Come on Spence, I'm sorry..." Sasha said tiredly, placing her arms around his neck and resting them on his shoulders.

Spencer stopped, lead Sasha by the hand to a small shaded area just behind the gym, out of the way of where anyone might see. Spencer took her wrists and squeezed them tight, tugging her harshly towards him. He bent down so his face met hers and leaned in, watching the fear grow in her dark brown eyes. "Never, and I mean never do that to me again. You got that Sash?" he snapped viciously, shaking her wrists. Sasha nodded once, and Spencer walked towards her, trapping her against the wall. "You stay away from that low life from Mangrove River, and no more parties with out me okay? Do you hear me?" he snapped again, shaking her a little harder.

Sasha's eyes welled up with tears, and Spencer let go, stepping back carefully. "I'm sorry." he said softly, suddenly, his face filled with guilt. He took her hands softly and rubbed them between his, trying to make the red marks around her arms disappear. "I just love you so much and I can't loose you and I won't loose you." he whispered, and he kissed her on the forehead. "We're okay aren't we?" he asked, and Sasha nodded as the tears filled her eyes even more.

MATT's POV

It was only just after 9am, and I'd finished my morning surf. I came off the beach and stood by the showers, attempting to get some of the sand off of me. I grabbed my board and began walking back towards the surf club, when I caught sight of Sasha. I watched intently as she spoke with Spencer, she looked sad.

"You alright Sash?" I asked, walking towards them, concern growing in my mind. She looked up at me, complete fear in her eyes. I could hear Spencer huffing and puffing. "Not you again." he muttered. "Mate, I'm just asking if she's okay!" I said, lifting my hands in defence. "She is fine." he snapped, and I watched the tension growing in his face. "Aren't you Sash?" he said, nudging her a little. She looked up from beneath her thick dark eye lashes, and I saw the sadness and fear in her eyes. She nodded once. "I'm sure Sasha can talk for herself, cant she?" I asked, challenging Spencer. "Matt, just go!" Sasha said, and she took Spencer's hand and they disappeared in side the gym.

Apparently the couple who work out together, stay together.

I needed to get this project started with Sasha at some point, but it would be impossible with Spencer around. I couldn't afford to fail another assignment.

I was a little worried about her, she looked broken, and the fun loving, carefree girl I'd seen the night before had disappeared.

SASHA's POV

It was 8pm Saturday evening before Spencer finally decided to go home. Indi was out on a date and Dex was at a friends, and so after he left I shut the door and absorbed the silence. The peace, the tranquillity. And then my phone beeped, damn technology.

"Do you wanna sort this project out tonight? Matt ;)" I read the message and bit my lip thoughtfully. It would be better to do it at the diner where everybody could see us working, but it'll be shut in a hour or so. We won't have enough time, and tomorrow I was heading to the city with Maddy to buy a dress for the dance. If Spencer found out I'd seen Matt, he would go mad for certain. I could undestand why Spencer didn't like him, he was cocky and arrogant an self absorbed but I knew he didn't like me, and he was my Science partner so what should it matter, if it's just studying? I knew it wasn't smart but I could not afford to fail this class, I needed to keep my grades up else Dad would come back.

"Mine or yours?" I asked bluntly, I didn't want to give him any ammunition. He texted back immediately.

"It can't be mine. Is yours okay?" I read. The thought disturbed me, having Matt here with nobody around, he was a crowd pleaser, class joker, but I had no idea what he was like alone. But I had no choice and soon enough he was on his way. And why couldn't it be his house anyway?

I suddenly felt quite conscious of the ugly sweatpants I was wearing and decided to get changed. I grabbed my black shorts and a t-shirt and threw them on. I caught sight of myself in the mirror, I breathed in and watched as my ribs came outwards. I was so hungry I could die.

I brushed through my long dark hair, and let it flow past my shoulders. I adjusted my make up in the mirror, and then stopped suddenly. This is how I panicked when Spencer showed up unexpectedly, but why should I care what Matt Page thinks?

Maybe I did care, a little but I couldn't stop thinking of the anger in Spencer this morning and that forced me to stop.

Also guys thank you all so much for your lovely support on this fic! I'm really enjoying writing it! Happy Easter! ^_^

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sasha made her way hesitantly towards the door. She stopped in the hall way and paused in front of the long mirror. She ran her fingers through her long dark hair, and examined her outfit. She opened the door and met Matt's cheeky smile.

"Hey eager beaver!" he teased, standing on her front porch with her skateboard tucked under his arm. He wore shorts, trainers and a t-shirt. As he moved the t-shirt rode up, exposing a little of his tanned, toned stomach. Sasha watched him cautiously as he pulled a box from behind his back. She took in his dazzling eyes and heart breaking smile. "I bought pizza, if you want some?" he asked, giving her his best puppy dog eyes.

Sasha's cautious face softened and she let out a tiny smile. "Come in..." she began, gesturing for Matt to come in. Matt took in the lavishness of the house, it was clean and fresh with nice furniture and flowers in vases on the tables. "Where's your bedroom then?" he joked, eyeing the doors in the hallway.

"The living room is that way!" Sasha demanded, playfully shoving Matt through the door way to the living room. He took his backpack and skateboard and placed them on the floor carefully. Sasha plonked herself on the sofa and Matt sat beside her. He took in the neatness and cleanliness of the house. This is why he could never of had her study at his house. Matt shuffled a little closer and she shuffled further away.

Matt picked up the pizza box, opened it and offered it to Sasha. She smiled but shook her head, "I've already ate, thanks..." she said, her stomach grumbling. "Doesn't sound that way." Matt smiled, gesturing to her stomach. Pizza from Angelo's, with extra BBQ chicken, her favourite. She thought of what Spencer had told her, he said she needed to be healthier. "Your tiny, just eat the pizza!" laughed Matt, and Sasha smiled taking a piece.

Sasha couldn't help but feeling guilty about having Matt in her house. Was she doing something unreasonable? He was only here to work on their project.

They worked quietly, Sasha researching and Matt making the model volcano.

"Do you want a drink?" Sasha asked standing from the computer, she walked into the open plan kitchen, Matt's eyes lingered on her long, tanned legs. He nodded. They sat there in silence sipping their cokes. "Were you okay this morning?" he asked, moving a little closer to her. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Me and Spencer just have our moments." she smiled softly, avoiding his gaze. "How come we couldn't do this at yours anyway?" she said, changing the subject. Matt watched as she sat up on the sofa, crossing her legs and facing him. He looked away, thinking quickly. "My dad works weird shifts so he likes his sleep," he lied. He could never let a girl as perfect as Sasha see how he was forced to live at home, or the truth about his Dad. She couldn't know how messed up he was.

He leaned closer to Sasha, his eyes turning suddenly seductive. Suddenly Sasha's phone began ringing. It was 11pm, who could it be? Spencer.

"Hey Sash, you left my purse in my backpack. Thought you might need it tomorrow? For your shopping trip?" he started, "I'm just coming up your path...".

Sasha swallowed hard, panic set in her eyes. Without a second thought she grabbed Matt's hand, dragging him into her bedroom. "Hey Sash, you keen bean!" he joked, eyeing her bed. "Just stay here and be quiet okay?" she whispered. Why was she suddenly keeping secrets? No other boyfriend would think anything of studying with a friend, was she thinking of Matt as a friend now?

She shut the door behind him, and went to face Spencer.

Suddenly Sasha Bezmel was hiding boys in her bedroom, and not even her boyfriend. Instead, it was the cocky, arrogant Mangrove River boy, that she supposedly couldn't stand. What was happening?!

Sasha's POV

I walked to the door slowly, feeling the sweat forming in my hands. My chest felt tight. I reached for the handle, my hand shaking slightly. I opened it and smiled upon seeing Spencer's teethy grin. I stepped out onto the porch, my legs feeling like jelly, as if they could fall from under me at any time. I smiled ay him. I felt so guilty, and yet I knew I shouldn't. I shouldn't of had to hidden Matt in my room, any other person would understand studying just meant studying. I missed some of my guy friends like Oscar, and Casey. I wasn't really allowed to talk to them anymore.

Spencer quickly scooped me into a warm hug and kissed me softly on the lips. Then he handed me my purse. "Thank you!" I smiled, "You're the best." And I wasn't lying, in some ways Spencer could take care of me, look after me. He'd never of let me down or cheated on me the way Casey had done in the past. "Can I come in?" Spencer said, making his way towards the door. I think my heart entirely stopped for a second. "Oh I'm gonna head to bed now..." I began, wrapping my arms around his neck. I knew I shouldn't have to do this in the first place, but lying felt so horrible.

After he'd gone, I shut the door behind me and breathed heavily for a few seconds, using the door to steady my wobbly state. Suddenly my bedroom door flung open and Matt's arm peaked out, waving my favourite Victoria's Secret bra. Grrrr. That boy. "Hey!" I marched up to him, pulling him from my room and throwing the bra back in. Nosey. Hmph.

"Oh Sash, that was pretty harsh eh?" he teased, a hint of enjoyment in his eyes. "I did that for your sake okay?" I told him, rolling my eyes. Nobody knew how difficult Spencer could be, and it wasn't entirely his fault, he was Bi-Polar. Only me and his family knew, and I couldn't be the one to start spreading it around school. "He doesn't trust me?" he asked, mocking a fake sort of sadness. I laughed a little. "Your an idiot! Now let's get on with this!" I said.

We worked seamlessly for another half an hour, the conversation flowing a little more. I discovered we liked the same bands, and even had been to some of the same gigs in the city before now. It was strange because they were bands Spencer had never heard of, all he owns is one signed Michael Buble CD. :mellow: It seemed different talking to Matt now, with his guard down a little more, it seemed there may be more underneath his egotistic exterior than I originally thought.

After we'd finished I stood up and we admired our work. Neither of us were very academic, and I hadn't done a school project with any one except Spencer for so long, but the project looked cool. I high fived Matt, and we stood there for a few seconds watching our little handmade volcano. "We make a pretty good team eh?" he said, looking in to my eyes. He leaned a little closer and I could smell the aftershave on him again. Jesus Christ.

After he got his stuff I walked him out onto the patio. It was super dark by this time. "Are you going to be okay getting home? Can't someone pick you up?" I asked, a slight concern growing. Matt smiled softly and look around, nervously. "Oh, Erm....nah, I'm good!" he smiled, as he pulled his skateboard out hand gestured to it. "I know you only wanted me to come around for my body anyway..." he winked cheekily and Matt's arrogance was back. I laughed. "Oh yeah, don't flatter yourself!" I giggled.

"And do you mind not telling anyone about this? It's just Spencer can get a little, you know..." I tried to explain my self. "Your secrets safe with me...he;s a tool though" Matt said, stepping in a little closer to me I could feel the warmth of his breath against my face, our bodies inches apart. I stepped back.

I crawled into bed quickly, replaying the nights events in my head. I wasn't a liar, I didn't tell lies. I was protecting myself, protecting Spencer, maybe even protecting Matt.

Just a little update! X

"Good morning!" Matt beamed, as he chased Sasha a little way down the corridor. He placed an warm arm casually around her shoulder and moved closer, and she could feel his breathe on her neck again. She spun around wriggling from him, and looking around nervously for anybody who might be watching. "Something's been bugging me?" he began, and Sasha rolled her eyes. "You know since Saturday, when I look at you, I just imagine you in that bra..." he said suggestively, taking a step closer to her. "Oh my god, shut up will you?" Sasha said, smacking him on the arm. "Oh Sash," Matt mocked his pretend heartbreak, "you kill me!" he said, and Sasha let out a tiny giggle.

"Some sort of funny joke going on here?" Spencer asked as he approached them cautiously, frowning. "Nah, just you mate..." Matt said, and he stared dead flat into Spencer's eyes. He wasn't scared. Matt watched as Sasha stepped back from him, casting her eyes towards the ground. "Come on Sash, we're going..." he said, and he took her by the hand and lead her down the corridor. Matt watched as Spencer looked back, anger in his eyes.

They walked in silence for a few minutes. "So um, there's a sleepover Friday at Maddy's?" Sasha said, hopefully. She watched Spencer's face as it turned more thoughtful. "Who's going?" Spencer immediately demanded. "Just Maddy and Evelyn?" Sasha pleaded and Spencer shook his head. "I don't know..." he began and Sasha's hopes sank. "You stay away from that scum from Mangrove River and I suppose you can go?" he offered, giving her an ultimatum.

Lunch time came around quick, and it was Sasha's least favourite time of the day. She walked to the diner and hung out with Irene a little, as Spencer was at a debate meeting. "Can I get a bottle of water please?" asked Sasha to Irene and she nodded. "Just grab one girlie!" she smiled, and her big green hoop earrings dangled through her bright ginger hair. Irene had become her replacement mum since she had been in the bay. "You want some lunch too?" she asked, looking over some the delicious pastries in the diner. Sasha's stomach grumbled a little. "I'm good thanks!" she smiled.

She walked down to the beach and sat on the grass. Sasha loved to people watch, it took her mind away from how ravenous her stomach was. "Why if it isn't you!" smiled Matt, as he slumped down beside her. Sasha rolled her eyes again. "You again?" she asked, and Matt leaned in a little closer and she looked into his gorgeous green eyes. "Oh stop, you know you can't get enough of this," he said, gesturing towards his body. Sasha couldn't help but giggle. "You not hungry?" he asked, gesturing to the bottle of water in her hand. Sasha shrugged, as she felt her stomach tense a little more. "Health kick," she explained. "Trying to loose weight and all that!" she smiled.

Matt dove into his back and took out his sandwich, and began tearing into it.. Sasha looked on in envy, and Matt caught her eye. "I don't know who you've been talking to but your perfect as you are Sash, you know?" he said, stopping. Sasha's heart was melting.

The sea breeze blew over them sending Sasha's hair into disarray and she laughed. Matt took a strand of the dark wavy hair and pushed it behind his ear, leaving his hand there a second longer than necessary, he felt the heat radiate from her cheeks. He watched intently as Sasha drew little patterns in the sand, and he casually rested his hand on top of hers, waiting for her to jump away but she didn't. Matt felt her hand shaking.

"Ready to get back to school and give this Science project a go?" Matt asked checking his phone for the time. He stood up and grabbed his board and held out his hands for Sasha to take. She did and he pulled her up with ease, and she watched his arm muscles tense. She quickly let go of his hand and smiled, nodding. "You mind if I meet you there?" she asked sadly. She wanted to walk back to school with him, and she should of been able to do that with her friends but she knew it just wasn't possible if anybody saw them.

"Because of Spencer?" he asked, a little laugh left his mouth. "Yeah, no worries." he smiled, and he rubbed her hand again. "I shall forever be your dirty little secret!" he mocked.

MATT's POV

When I approached my house after school music blared from the front porch. It was covered in beer cans and bottles again. No matter how many I shift in the morning before school, there's always a brand new pile by 3.30pm. In the tall grass of our once lovely garden were more beer cans, and other household items, including a broken vase, glass shattered on the floor. The front door was wide open and the smell of cigarettes filled the air making it thick. I walked into the kitchen were the curtains were blackened from one of Dad's drunken cooking attempts and I shuddered. On the floor, all the contents of our kitchen cupboards lay, which thankfully was not a lot.

I peered eagerly into the front room expecting to see Dad slumped in the chair but it was empty. A cigarette, still smoking sat in the ashtray and there was a unopened bottle of cider on the table. He hadn't gone far. All of the ornaments from the shelves lay smashed all over the floor. Dad was getting worse, I knew it but he didn't have anyone else. The house was totally trashed, even the television had been smashed through the screen by a broken bottle which now lay in pieces on the floor.

I thought of my mum, she would of never allowed this. She wouldn't recognise my Dad the way he was today, even I don't recognise him.

I heard some shouting outside and quickly ran out. I saw my Dad drunkenly stumbling through Mangrove River, a bottle in his hand shouting absurdities at our next door neighbour. "You know what, you can go and..." I heard my Dad mumbling. I ran out and placed an arm around his neck, attempting to get him inside. "I'm so sorry!" I apologised to my neighbours but Dad was angry and very strong. He threw me to the ground without a second thought. "Get off me Matt!" he shouted. I lay there for a few seconds before watching as he stumbled a little further, tripped over and tumbled onto the ground. I ran over to him and helped him up.

Then my dad burst into tears, as I helped him back to the house. He was broken.

just a little update! have a big one coming tonight! Xx

Archived