Torn

Guest Melbelle94

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Five

Charlie stood across the living room staring at Brax watching as the emotions passed through his eyes, he was slowly coming to the realisation of why she didn't come home on that fateful day. Watching him helped pass the time as she desperately wondered if she could talk to him about what happened, but in the end it was no choice. She couldn't live with herself if they hated her.

"You were kidnapped?" Brax asked his voice had a slight bit of rage or confusion to it, Charlie couldn't be sure so she just smiled weakly at him.

"Yes"

"When? Where? I don't understand Charlie, we were convinced you left us" Brax said shaking his head and Charlie took a timid step towards him.

"No, no. I would never have left you or Ruby by choice" Charlie explained and Brax sighed, he hurried across the room without a second thought taking her into his arms in a crushing hug. Charlie bit her lip to keep from whimpering as he put pressure on her bruises and ribs, she didn't want him to find out just yet what Grant had done to her.

"Who took you?" Brax asked and Charlie pulled back slowly.

"Lets sit down, this is going to be hard for me" Charlie said softly and Brax nodded slightly as he took her hand unwilling to let her go.

"I went to the city for my meeting" Charlie started and Brax nodded.

"I remember, I begged you not to go" Brax murmured and Charlie nodded, she remembered that morning as well. He wanted her to stay but she had told him she couldn't.

"I know, I just stopped for a minute to look at a piece of clothing for the baby - for Katie. I wanted to surprise you. I guess he saw me, it wasn't planned if it had been then he would have come for Ruby to" Charlie said as she took a deep breath, Brax squeezed her hand gently. "Shay came up to me, my instincts took over. She was five years old and told me she was lost, I didn't know he had sent her" Charlie cried as she brought her hands up to cover her face.

"You're telling me that the girl lying beside our daughter, in my bed helped to kidnap you?" Brax said slowly as he tried to understand but his voice was filling with slight rage.

"It's not her fault Brax, she only did what she was told. He terrified her" Charlie said defending the young girl that she now called her daughter. "Never once have I blamed Shay for what he did, what he put us through. She was just a little girl, the same age as Katie is now"

"But she helped" Brax exclaimed and Charlie shook her head firmly, the courage she found as Brax tried to blame her daughter was incredible.

"I understand you're hurt and you need an explanation but do not blame her Brax. What Shay went through that day is something even I can't understand and she struggles with it everyday" Charlie told him and Brax sighed, Charlie was thankful when he didn't push anymore.

"Continue, I need to hear this" Brax murmured and Charlie nodded.

"I took her to the underground carpark where she claimed her fathers car was, it was where he had told her to take me. I could feel the fear coming from her so I held her hand tightly - I thought she was just scared because she lost her parents, I didn't know" Charlie said as a tear escaped her eyes. "He grabbed me from behind, a blow to the head and the last thing I remember is the distressed cry that came from Shay" Charlie told him as she allowed a couple more tears to escape before she tried to will them back.

She couldn't bring herself to look at Brax, if she didn't look she wouldn't be able to see the look of disappointment she was sure she would see. She was a cop, she should have been able to defend herself, she should have known better but when she felt Brax soft hand on her shoulder the tears seemed to over flow.

"Grant kidnapped you?"

Charlie straightened up as she heard Ruby's voice, turning slowly to face her daughter she saw Ruby standing with fifteen year old Casey and seventeen year old Kyle, along with a girl she didn't know. The boys had grown so much in her absence and Charlie had to choke back a sob.

"Did he mum?" Ruby demanded to know and Charlie nodded slowly.

"Yes Ruby" Charlie said softly and Ruby shook her head, anger filling her brown eyes.

"Why? Why did he take you? Hasn't he caused enough damage" Ruby shouted as she wrapped her arms around Casey burying her head into his chest.

Charlie felt so bad, she couldn't imagine how Ruby was feeling. But she couldn't bare to talk about it anymore, telling them what she had was enough, she couldn't bare to say anymore.

"Look at you two, all grown up" Charlie said trying to distract everyone as she looked at the boys, Kyle was the first to catch on.

"Hey Charlz, its good to have you home" Kyle said as he walked over to her and pulled her into a hug. "I want you to meet my girlfriend, Tamara"

"A girlfriend? Wow" Charlie said as she pulled back and smiled at Tamara. "Taking care of my boy?" Charlie asked Tamara nodded.

"Its wonderful to meet you Charlie" Tamara said.

"Not as good as it is to meet you" Charlie said but as she turned to look at Case the house was filled with an ear piercing scream.

^..^

Please comment!

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter Six

Charlie heard the thundering of running feet and before she could move from her spot the two girls were in her arms clinging to her tightly, tears cascading down their cheeks as they sobbed. Charlie glanced at the hallway as she saw Heath emerge.

"I didn't know they were in there" Heath said quickly before looking at Charlie his eyes turning wide. "Charlie?"

"How did you get in?" Brax asked and Heath turned to him.

"Uh - your window. I was trying to get in without anyone noticing me, your window was open I didn't expect them to be there. Who are they?" Heath asked as Katie clung to Charlie's leg tugging furiously.

"Mama, who's that?" Katie sobbed quietly and Charlie crouched down.

"Hey now sweetheart, I need to tell you something. The both of you" Charlie murmured as she pulled them over the arm chair, taking a seat she pulled Katie onto her lap. Making eye contact with Brax she tried to convey what she was about to do, he nodded slightly.

"Tell us what Charlie?" Shay whispered and Charlie smiled.

"Remember when Katie was born, can you remember what I told you that day?" Charlie asked and Shay nodded.

"Uh huh, you said that Katie and I have different daddies but you'll love me anyway because I'm special" Shay said softly and Charlie was surprised, Shay never spoke in long sentences and Charlie was surprised she could repeat that when Shay had only been five and at that time she hadn't been interested in what Charlie said. She had been to scared.

"That's right and Katie do you remember what I told you about your daddy?" Charlie asked and Katie nodded as she leaned heavily on Charlie, the tears starting to dry up.

"That daddy loves me even if I can't see him" Katie said softly and Charlie kissed her head.

"Yes, and what did I tell you both about him?" Charlie asked and Katie looked confused, Shay glanced at her.

"You said that Katie's daddy wasn't like my daddy, that he was nice and he loved Katie. Not like my daddy" Shay said sadly and Charlie touched her arm, as she watched the ten year old stare at her purple cast.

"Exactly, and today we are going to meet Katie's daddy" Charlie said and Katie glanced up, her green eyes shining innocently.

"Really mummy?" Katie asked and Charlie nodded.

"Katie, you know I told you Brax was a nice man?" Charlie asked and Katie bobbed her head. "Brax is your daddy sweetheart"

Katie turned to look at Brax, her green eyes studying him. Brax smiled weakly at her as he opened his arm - Katie hesitated she had never been around a loving male. Katie looked up at Charlie with a questioning gaze, Charlie smiled.

"He's really nice honey, he'll give you lots of hugs and kisses like mummy does" Charlie encouraged and Katie slid off her lap slowly.

"But who are those men mummy? That one scared me" Katie said and Charlie smiled.

"These men are your Uncles, Uncle Heath didn't mean to scare you" Charlie promised as she looked towards Casey. "With your sister is Uncle Casey and then this one is Uncle Kyle, that is his girlfriend Tamara" Charlie explained and Katie nodded as she timidly took a step towards Brax.

"You nice man?" Katie questioned and Brax looked a little taken back as she spoke directly to him.

"Very nice man" Brax promised and Katie tilted her head.

"You pinky promise? Cause Shay's daddy is mean, he broke her arm. I seen him - it was scary!" Katie explained and Brax's eyes flashed towards the other young girl as she sat down on Charlie's lap, the purple cast standing out. He wanted to ask what happened, if it happened often but he knew he needed to focus on the little girl in front of him.

"I pinky promise" Brax said as he held out his pinky, Katie hooked hers around it before taking another step and leaning into his arms. Brax smiled softly to himself as he wrapped his arms around her softly to keep her from feeling trapped he knew he needed to take it slowly as to not frighten her. "I love you Katie" Brax whispered into her hair.

"Mum, I want to say sorry. I didn't mean to get so angry" Ruby whispered and Charlie glanced up.

"It's okay, its a big adjustment suddenly having me turn up but I'm just not ready to talk about everything. Please understand?" Charlie begged and Ruby nodded.

"Of course. I'm sorry I pushed" Ruby murmured. "Its so good to have you home"

"Shay honey, can you stand for a moment?" Charlie asked and Shay stood up quickly just as she was asked. Charlie followed suit and then wrapped her arms around Ruby. "I love you Rubes, I always have"

"I love you too mum, I missed you so much"

Tamara nudged Kyle as she flashed her eyes towards Shay who stood sadly by the chairs her eyes flashing feom Katie to Charlie. She looked miserable and it made Tamara feel sorry for her, grabbing Kyle's hand she pulled him over to her. Shay looked startled but Tamara offered her a warm smile.

"Hi Shay, I'm Tamara and this is Kyle" Tamara introduced and Shay nodded slightly. "Your a pretty little girl aren't you?" Tamara asked and Shay tilted her head slightly.

"You're pretty" Shay said softly and Tamara giggled.

"Thank-you"

^..^

He stared through the window at them, hugging each other and talking. He was furious and vowed to get her back, she would be his - she didn't have a choice in the matter.

^..^

Authors Note: Please Review!

Chapter Seven:

Charlie stared down at her two sleeping angels, Brax was by her side. Heath had kindly given up his bed and gone to stay with Bianca for the night. Charlie didn't need to be asked where she wanted to spend the night, after the long five years she wanted nothing more to be curled up in Brax's arms back in the bed they had once shared. Charlie wanted Brax to hold her, hold her tightly as if to never let her go.

"Thanks for telling Katie, it was nice to be able to cuddle her" Brax said and Charlie smiled softly as she turned off the lamp and headed from the room Brax following her.

"You're more then welcome, she deserves to know your her father. I have never kept you hidden from her, she knew Grant was not her biological father" Charlie muttered and Brax nodded.

"Good. Charlie, I know you don't want to talk about it now but soon we will have to talk about what went on while you were with Grant" Brax said calmly and Charlie nodded - she knew there was no way around it, she would have to talk to them eventually. She knew she had to tell them what Grant had done to them.

"I know and one day we can talk about it all, I am just not ready yet and neither are the girls" Charlie said softly as she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Brax's, Brax leaned down and kissed her head lightly. "I've missed you Brax"

"I've missed you Charlie more then you could ever imagine" Brax whispered as he took her hand and pulled her gently towards the bedroom. "Stay with me tonight?" Brax asked and Charlie nodded.

"I planned on it, I want to be in your arms" Charlie said as she closed the door to his bedroom.

^..^

Charlie swayed her hips gently to the music as she poured herself some orange juice, she stood wearing on Brax's black t-shirt and a pair of underwear, she felt so much happier - so much more at ease after having spent the night in his arms.

Though she had spent the night making love to him in the dark, he had wanted the lamp on but because of the bruises she wanted to stay hidden because if he saw them it would mean she would have to explain.

"Mummy"

Charlie spun around on her heals to see Katie and Shay standing in the hallway, their head poking around the corner with unsure looks.

"Come here, everyone but Brax has gone out so we can have some time to adjust" Charlie said as she opened her arms - they both hurried over and hugged her. "While Brax is showering how about I get you something to eat? Who wants eggs?" Charlie asked and Katie grinned.

"Me please mama" Katie said and Charlie nodded.

"Okay, go watch tv" Charlie told them and Shay frowned.

"Are we allowed to Charlie?" Shay asked and Charlie nodded.

"Yes sweetheart, you go watch cartoons" Charlie told her and Shay turned around taking Katie's hand in hers they wandered into the living room.

"They need to ask to watch TV?" Brax queried with a raised eyebrow. "Was it really that bad?"

"Worse than you can imagine." Charlie murmured as Brax reached to brush a lock of hair behind Charlie's ear.

"Tell me about it?" Brax asked softly and Charlie turned away.

"Another day" Charlie said as she took the eggs off the stove. "Breakfast is served girls" Charlie called into the living room and the girls ran up to the table, freezing when they noticed Brax. Shay shut her mouth quickly and sat down quietly and Katie glanced up at him.

"Sorry for running daddy" Katie said softly.

Brax's heart swelled when he heard her say the word 'Daddy' it amazed him how the overwhelming feeling of love and pride graced his body.

"That's okay sweetie, did you enjoy watching cartoons?" Brax asked as he took the seat beside her.

"Yes, did you have a nice shower?" Katie asked politely and Brax grinned.

"Sure did" Brax said as he scooped up some eggs and plopped them into his mouth. "These are great babe" Brax said as he leaned over and kissed her cheek, he noticed the way Shay shuttered out of the corner of his eye. He watched as she sat up straight and quiet, slowly eating her food.

Brax new there was something about her that he couldn't quiet place.

"Shay?" Brax questioned softly. The girl was pushing her eggs around her plate, but stopped when she heard Brax. "You alright?"

Shay shook her head. "I don't know"

"Look, I'm not gonna hurt you mate." Brax tried to reassure the girl.

"How will I know that you're not like Dad?" Shay questioned.

Brax looked Shay square in the eye. "I am not like your Dad, trust me."

"How can I trust you?" Shay asked but before Brax could answer Shay turned to Charlie. "Can I be excused Charlie?" Shay asked and Charlie smiled softly.

"Of course sweetheart" Charlie said and Shay quickly left the room. "Don't push her Brax, Shay hardly opens up to me"

"Charlie, I don't understand what's going on here."

"The girls need to open up to you Brax, they believe that all men are evil."

"Why? Why do they believe that Charlie?" Brax asked and Katie looked up from her plate.

"Mummy, me be 'cused to?" Katie asked politely and Charlie nodded.

"Of course baby girl" Charlie said as she turned back to Brax. "Because, look you know my story with Ruby so you should know that Grant is evil"

"He abused you, didn't he?" Brax asked and Charlie looked down at the floor, fiddling with her fingers. "He did didn't he? And he abused the girls too? I saw the cast on Shay's arm."

"Brax, please don't," Charlie pleaded in a whisper. "Don't force me to talk about this."

"But Charlie, I need to know. I want to help you." Brax tried to convince her.

"Brax, please just drop it we can talk about it another time" Charlie murmured, the tears were brimming in her eyes.

"I can't, my daughter is afraid of me and your abusers daughter is in my house"

"I can't help that Brax!" Charlie exclaimed helplessly. "I wanted to protect Shay!"

"Why? Why do you want to protect her?" Brax shouted and Charlie flinched causing Brax to take a step away from her to show her he meant no harm.

"Because Brax, I love her as much as I do Ruby or Katie. I see the broken and innocent girl she is. If you going to hold a grudge against her then I'm afraid we can't be together"

"Charlie, you know I don't want that. You just came back into my life and of course I have questions, do you really blame me?" Brax asked in frustration.

"No, I don't blame you Brax."

"It seems like you do"

"I don't, I just want answers. I'm sorry okay, you don't have to talk about it yet"

"Mummy, I heard shouting" Katie murmured.

"It's okay baby, go play with Shay." Charlie told her daughter.

"Is he going to hurt you?" Katie asked worriedly as she chewed on a nail.

"Katie, he's not going to hurt me, you or Shay, I promise baby."

"I'm not like that Katie" Brax promised and Katie frowned.

"Why you not like my Shay?" Katie asked and Charlie sighed.

"Katie, Brax does like Shay" Charlie said but Katie shook her head.

"But he doesn't!" Katie exclaimed before running off. Charlie turned back to Brax and sighed.

"Brax, I'm sorry."

Charlie glanced up at Brax when the doorbell rang. Brax shrugged at got up off his chair.

Opening he door he was confronted with a man looking slightly cocky.

"Can I help you?" Brax asked and the man smirked.

"I want my daughter"

Charlie gasped as she rounded the corner, standing there on the doorstep was her nightmare.

^..^

Authors Note: Please Review! Let me know what you think.

Archived