Keep On Keeping On

Guest Red Ranger 1

Thank you for the comments, Jarliefan, JosieTash, pembie and Zetti!

CHAPTER 11
“You did what?”April demanded, staring at her husband across the living room.
“I told him to stuff it,”Heath repeated.
“Why would you do that?”
“I’ve been running that gym on my own since Casey left and suddenly some rich kid with money, who I trained up, comes charging in and starts ordering me around?Let him run the place on his own, see how he likes that.”
“And what about us?”April asked,“Bianca isn’t earning so we’re having to provide for Domina. We’ve got bills and car maintenance and food!Where’s the money for that going to come from?You think you’ve going to get any benefits when you just quit your job?”
Heath shrugged.“I figured when you’re a high flying doctor you’d support us and I’d be a stay at home husband.”
“Oh, and would that involve you sitting around on the beach all day?I’m not going to be qualified for another year as yet, I’m not bringing in any money, what are we going to do in that time?”The anger suddenly seemed to drain out of her and she burst into tears.“I can’t believe you’ve done this to us.”
Shocked and more than a little guilty, Heath wrapped his arms round her, comforting her.“I’m sorry, okay?I guess I didn’t think it through that well.”
“Do you think Spencer would give you your job back?”
“I’m not going cap in hand to him,”Heath said firmly,“But…I’ll look around, find something.I’ll make sure we’re all right.”

Ruby lay on the examination bed, feeling nervous.Dexter had hold of her hand.She wasn’t entirely sure why but it was comforting so she hadn’t said anything.
“So did things go okay with Bianca?”he asked,“Another woman’s perspective on pregnancy?”
“Yeah, she was really helpful,”Ruby confirmed,“And really nice.Felt a bit like having Mum back.”
Dexter thought for a moment.“I could give my mum a call if you want.She was pregnant once.”He thought harder.“Twice.”
Ruby smiled at him.“Thanks.But having you here is enough.”
“Aww, that’s the sweetest thing anyone’s ever said to me.”Dexter kissed her lightly on the lips.
The midwife came in.“Mr and Mrs.Buckton?”
“Walker,”Dexter corrected.
“Mr and Mrs.Walker?”
“I’m Buckton, he’s Walker,”Ruby explained,“Not Mr and Mrs.”
“Right, glad that’s clear.”The midwife produced a tube of gel.“I take it you’ve heard this is cold?”
Ruby nodded, giving a gasp of shock at just how cold as it was applied to her abdomen.The midwife started up the scan and turned the monitor round to face them.
Dexter stared at the image of their baby.“Wow.It looks like some sort of weird mutant.”
“It looks like a baby,”Ruby said quietly, her voice filled with awe.
Dexter smiled and gripped her hand tighter.“Yeah.It does.”

“Wow, I can’t believe I’m dating a businessman,”Rosie exclaimed.
Spencer was crouched on the floor with Daisy, who was in the process of introducing him to her dolls.He had been slightly nervous about meeting Rosie’s daughter but she had turned out to be a friendly girl who had readily welcomed him into the flat.
“I wouldn’t call myself that exactly,”he pointed out,“I’m just buying a gym.”
“That’s a business, isn’t it?”Rosie asked, sounding slightly unsure.
“Well, yeah, I guess so…”
Daisy gestured to the cloth doll who was next in line.“And this is Lizzie.Say hello to Spencer, Lizzie.”
There was a pause.“Hello, Lizzie,”Spencer said at last.
“She is very pleased to meet you,”Daisy told him.She gestured to the next doll in line.“And this is Hilary.”
Rosie got off the couch and crouched on the floor with them.“Just how many dolls has she got?” Spencer asked her.
Rosie smiled sheepishly.“Well…she tends to get a new one every time I go on a shopping trip.I’m trying to train myself to walk past the toy shops.Not quite there yet.”
“Oh, so that’s why you’re with me,”Spencer joked,“You want a rich businessman to fund your doll collecting.”
Rosie looked hard at him for a moment to check he was joking and then smiled.“My secret is out.” She leant forward and kissed him.
“Yuck!”shouted Daisy.
They smiled and then turned back to her.Spencer gestured to the next doll in line.“So who’s this then?”

Thank you for the comments, pembie, JosieTash and Jarliefan!

CHAPTER 12

Heath walked into Angelo’s and put a strip of paper down on the counter.“Delivered and signed for, boss!”
“Cheers, mate,”Kyle answered, taking the receipt from him before handing him a similar strip and a satchel full of pizzas,“Windsor Street?”
“No problem, boss!”Heath took the bag and marched smartly out of the restaurant.
“How’s he doing?”Tamara asked.
“Surprisingly well,”Kyle admitted,“He’s made all the deliveries on time and not complained once.”
“Maybe he’s got a work ethic.”
“Maybe.”Kyle noticed Dexter and Ruby sat at a table and went over to them.“And what can I get you?”
Dexter perused the menu before looking up at Ruby.“Anchovies still making you heave?”Ruby nodded, looking as though she was a bit green around the gills even then.Dexter handed the menu back to Kyle.“Meat feast, please.”
As Kyle walked away from the table, Tamara came over.“How are you doing?”she asked Ruby.
“Not too bad,”Ruby answered,“Hoping it’ll all be worth it.”
“It will be,”Dexter sighed wistfully, staring into space,“When we’re holding that cute little baby in our arms…”The two girls stared at him and he waved dismissively.“I’m just floating off to a happy place, carry on.”
“So I heard from Casey the other day,”Tamara remarked.
Ruby nodded.“How is he?”
“Okay, yeah.He seems settled.”Tamara hesitated for a moment.“Well, you know where I am if you want to talk,”she said at last before heading back to the counter.
Ruby looked at Dexter, confused.“Was she trying to have a girlie chat with me?”
“I got that impression.”
Ruby considered this and shrugged.“Be nice to have some more friends around.”

Spencer and Rosie had finished the washing up at her place and were wandering back over to the couch.“So, how’s business?”Rosie asked.
“Well, the gym’s staying afloat,”Spencer replied,“I’m missing Heath though.”
Rosie looked at him in surprise.“Were the two of you close or something?”
“No but he was useful to have around the gym.He was actually a pretty good manager even if he did want me to help with the paperwork half the time.”Spencer looked around the flat.“Where’s Daisy tonight anyway?”
“She had an early night with Miss Tandy.”
Spencer thought for a moment.“The doll with the cloth cap.”
Rosie nodded eagerly.“She’s one of her favourites.I just thought it…might be nice to…just be the two of us.”
Spencer smiled.“And maybe do some grown up things?”
Rosie leaned forward and kissed him.The kiss deepened, Spencer placing a hand on her thigh and slowly moving upwards.Rosie started and pulled back.
Spencer looked at her with understanding.“Too soon?”
Rosie looked awkward.“It’s just…unless you count, well, how Daisy came along…I’ve never actually gone there with a boy.”
Spencer nodded.“It’s okay.”He got up to leave.“Should I call you in the morning?”
Rosie got up hurriedly and ran to him.“Spencer, wait!I want to, I really really do, I want to have sex with you all over this flat!”She waved her arms about emphatically, then stopped and reddened slightly.“Not straightaway, obviously.And not when Daisy’s in the room, because that would just be wrong.”
Spencer smiled and took her hand.“And what about tonight?”
“I think…if we took it slowly and you let me know what you were going to put where…that would be nice.”
“I’m going to kiss you now.”
“Okay.”
Their lips met, gently at first but slowly growing in desire and passion as they headed towards her bedroom.

April was crouched on the floor with Domina, trying to interest her in a felt cube festooned with numbers.Heath appeared in the doorway and proudly displayed a wad of cash.“My first day’s pay from Angelo’s.”
April glared at him unappreciatively.“And the last.”
“No, really.Kyle says I did really well, he can give me more shifts.”
“You did really well at the gym, Heath!”April snapped, getting to her feet,“You had a job that was much better than delivering a few pizzas for your brother!And you just walked out on it!”She sighed. “Keep an eye on your daughter.”She walked out of the flat.
Heath sank onto the sofa, moments before Kyle appeared in the doorway.“I just saw April storming off.Do you want to talk?”
Heath threw his arms in the air helplessly.“I really don’t know what to say.To you or her.”
“Look, she’s worried.You’re married and you’ve got two kids with other women who you give money to.Now she’s wondering where the next pay packet’s coming from.And I just haven’t got the regular work for you, much as I’d like to.”
“You could sack someone else and give me their shifts.”
“Yeah, most of the Angelo’s staff have got families too.”
“They could have my old job at the gym.”Heath sighed.“Okay, what do you think I should do?”
“Show April she’s got nothing to worry about.Get a regular job.”

Thank you for the comments, Jarliefan, JosieTash and pembie!

CHAPTER 13

Rosie woke up and smiled at memories of the previous night.She turned over, expecting to see Spencer lying there, but the space next to her was empty.Her heart sank.He was gone.Her mind began whirring over various scenarios where he’d left after getting what he wanted, where he’d never go near her again…With a heavy heart, she got dressed and went to see how Daisy was.
As she left the bedroom, she heard voices coming from the direction of the kitchen.“Are you sure I can’t get you some muesli?”That was Spencer!“Make you grow up big and strong.”
Another voice:Daisy.“I like toast.”
Not quite daring to believe it, Rosie wandered over to the kitchen to find Daisy tucking into a piece of toast at the table, with Spencer standing over her.He looked up at Rosie and smiled.“Hi.Someone came into the bedroom and I didn’t have the heart to wake you so I thought I’d better see to her.”
Smiling herself now, Rosie went over to him.Spencer put his arms round her waist and kissed her softly.“I was looking forward to waking up with you,”she said quietly.
“Me too,”he answered,“I guess we’ll have to save it for another night, huh?”She smiled again at that comment and he helped her into a chair.“So, is Mummy a toast fan too?”
Rosie looked at Daisy.“I think he can stay, don’t you?”
Daisy nodded distractedly.

Nate was slightly bewildered to see Heath walking towards him down the hospital corridor.He wasn’t exactly a frequent social visitor and he didn’t seem to have been stabbed, shot or dismembered. “Anything I can do for you, Heath?”
“I want a job,”Heath replied bluntly.
“Ah, yeah, this is the hospital.The employment agency is in Yabbie Creek.”
“No, I mean, are there any jobs here?”
Nate was finding the conversation slightly bizarre.“Well, are you a qualified brain surgeon?”
There was a flash of anger in Heath’s eyes.“Don’t make fun of me, okay?”
Nate felt a bit guilty.“Okay, I’m sorry.But why are you coming to me?”
“Because…because of April.She’s worried that I haven’t got a job and I thought maybe if she saw me working here then she’d stop worrying.”
“Okay, I’ll ask around with HR.See if they need any porters or something.”
Heath nodded.“Thanks, doc.”He headed back the way he had come.
Nate noticed April standing by the admin desk and went over to her.“I just had your husband here. Asking about a job.”
April grimaced.“I’m sorry, I’ll tell him he can’t do that.”
“No, it’s okay, I told him I’d ask around.”
“He just…needs to get himself sorted, stop messing about.”
“He said you’d been worried about it.”
April froze at the comment.“Yeah, I guess I am,”she admitted.
“And that makes him worry about you.Must be nice.”As Nate walked away, he thought he saw a glimmer of thoughtfulness on April’s face.

An exercise video was playing on the television set.Dexter and Ruby were crouched on the floor in uncomfortable positions, face up with their legs and arms bent round where they weren’t really designed to go.
“Now remember to breathe deeply and relax!”the middle-aged woman in purple lycra on the video advised them,“This will all help you for when the baby’s born.It’s important you keep a strong core. Now, raise your right leg.”
Ruby tried to comply but ended up collapsing in a heap.Dexter looked over at her anxiously.“You all right?”
Ruby couldn’t help breaking out in a fit of giggles.She saw Dexter looking at her reproachfully and tried to control it.“I’m sorry but…really?”
“It’s important for staying calm,”Dexter insisted.He gave up trying to maintain his pose and lay down next to her.“But, yeah, okay, it is pretty ridiculous.”
Ruby leaned over and kissed him.She let the kiss deepen, rolling over on top of him.“This is not what we’re meant to be doing!”Dexter protested.
“Still exercise, isn’t it?”Ruby fired back.He considered this for a moment, then nodded.She resumed kissing him, pulling his shirt over his head, as he began undoing her top and caressing her expanding stomach.
“Seriously?”Sasha demanded from the door,“Is everyone having sex today?”
The pair sprang apart quickly.“I’ll be in the bedroom,”Ruby decided, hastily adjusting her clothes as she exited.
Dexter sighed, pulling his shirt back on and glaring at his sister.“You do remember you don’t live here anymore?Knocking would be nice.Ringing up first would be even better.”He noticed her deflated expression and sighed.“All right, I’ll bite.Who else is having sex?”
Sasha looked confused for a moment until she remembered her greeting.She sighed.“I just had Rosie raving to me about her first time with Spencer.”
“You jealous?”
“Well, not in the sense that I’m interested in Spencer or Rosie.Just…feeling a bit left out I guess.I’m almost desperate enough to ask if you’ve got any friends you could set me up with.”
Dexter slipped into a chair and gestured for Sasha to sit down next to him.“Give it time.Someone will realise how fabulous you are eventually.”
“Really?”
“Course.You’re my sister, aren’t you?”

Maddy was standing by the door of the gym, handing out towels to the seemingly endless string of customers filing in the door, a grin plastered on her face.“Welcome, changing rooms are through there, men’s to the right, women’s to the left.Showers are free, lockers have returnable dollar deposit, sign in in the register, feel free to use all equipment.”
Spencer came hurrying over.“Maddy, I need you to keep an eye on that guy using the treadmill.”
“Sure, yeah, if you want to get sued.I’m not qualified, remember?”
Spencer looked harrassed.“Maddy, please.”
Maddy sighed.“Okay, you know I’ll do anything I can to help out but you need to get someone qualified in here.”
Spencer could tell what she was getting at.“Heath won’t come back here.”
“Have you asked him?Because at the moment, it seems like we’re running out of options.”

Thanks for the comments, Jarliefan, pembie, JosieTash and Zetti!

CHAPTER 14

April was sitting on the sofa when Heath arrived home, cradling Domina.He hesitated in the doorway, not sure what to expect.April placed Domina down on the mat and patted the space next to herself. “Heath.Come here.”
Cautiously, Heath did as requested.“So, er…”
April took his hand.“I’m sorry.”
“Okay.Wasn’t expecting that.What for?”
“For…for being worried and taking it out on you.”
Heath shook his head.“No, no, you’re right.I’m a husband and I’m a father.I need to be responsible.”
April smiled slightly.“Do you even know that word?”
“I’m learning it.”
“I heard about you going for a job at the hospital.”
Heath looked up hopefully.“Have I got one?”
“Nate’s still looking.The two of us working together could be…interesting.”
Heath smiled, then became serious.“I’m not going to beg for my job at the gym back.”
“I know.”
“I love you.”
April kissed him lightly and cuddled up to him.“Me too.”

Dexter led Sasha towards the door.“So you’re feeling a bit more upbeat?”he asked her.
Sasha smiled and hugged him.“Yeah, hanging out with my favourite big brother always does that.”
Dexter returned the hug.“Well, it’s nice to see my favourite little sister too.”
Ruby emerged from the bedroom, looking white as a sheet.“Um, guys, sorry to interrupt but…I’m spotting.”
Dexter felt as if he’d been punched in the stomach but did his best to hide it.“Then we had better get you to hospital so they can reassure us that nothing’s wrong.Ah, Sash, we need to…”
“I’ll drive you,”Sasha replied.She laid a comforting hand on Ruby’s arm.“Don’t worry, everything’s going to be all right.”

April had a sinking feeling when she answered the door to find Spencer there.Given that she and Heath were only just back on an even keel, she was worried about things going wrong again. “Spencer, I’m not sure this is a good time…”
“Can I just speak to Heath?”
April glanced back at Heath, who nodded.Reluctantly, she stepped aside.
Spencer looked forlornly at Heath.“Look, mate, really, I’m lost without you at the gym.I need someone who knows what they’re doing, who knows the place.I’ll make you manager again, whatever you want, just come back.”
Heath fixed him with a determined gaze.“Make me a partner.”
April swung round to face him, as shocked as Spencer was.And Spencer looked pretty shocked.It took him a moment to regain his composure.“Heath, I can’t just do that.”
“I’m not working for you, but I will work with you.Co-owners.”
“Heath, I’m owner because I bought it.”
“How much?”
Spencer looked confused.“How much what?”
“How much do you want for me to buy into the business?”
Spencer considered it.“I’ll give you 10% of the gym for $5,000.”
“Sweet.You sort out the contract, I’ll sort out the money.”
Spencer still hadn’t quite managed to stop looking stunned but he maintained his composure well. “I’ll draw up the contract and let you know.”
April waited until he’d left before turning to her husband, surprised and more than a little pleased. “Heath!That was amazing!”A worrying thought struck her.“Where are you going to get $5,000 from?”
Heath grinned.“Don’t worry, I’ve got it sorted.”Then he looked confused.“Can you help?”

The mood as Nate led Dexter and Ruby away from the treatment room was a lot more relaxed than it had been before their arrival at the hospital, memories of hearing their baby’s heartbeat comforting them.“I’m sorry, I feel like an idiot now,”Ruby noted with a smile.
“Well, don’t,”Nate told her,“You were perfectly right to come in.Bleeding like that is always worrying:Sometimes it’s nothing, sometimes it can be more serious.”
Dexter squeezed her hand.“Important thing is, we’re still all systems go for the arrival of Dex Junior.”Ruby and Nate both stared at him and he shrugged.“We’re still deciding on the name.”
Sasha came hurrying up.“Hey, are you two ready to go?Any longer and I’ll need to pay for another hour’s parking.”
“Your support is welcome as always, little sister,”Dexter responded.He saw Sasha’s eyes flick towards Nate and was certain he saw Nate’s do the same.He observed the interaction with interest. “Ah, Doctor Cooper, you’ve met my sister, haven’t you?”
“I have,”Nate confirmed,“But I’m not sure I remember her being quite so grown-up.”Sasha flushed slightly and Nate hastily turned his attention to Ruby.“Feel free to come back in if you’ve got any more worries.”
“I will, Doctor, thank you,”Ruby confirmed as he left.
Sasha glared at Dexter.“Could you be any more random?”
Dexter shrugged.“Just putting the idea out there.”

April was sat on the sofa, staring at her laptop.“Bid’s up to $500 on that one.”
Heath, who had been pacing behind her, looked over her shoulder.“Yes!Nearly up to the target.”
April shook her head in bewilderment.“How did you end up owning so many surfboards?And how did they end up being collector’s items?”
“What can I say?I’m a conifer.”
April thought about the comment long and hard.“Connoisseur?”she suggested.
“Yeah, probably.”
April reached behind her and gripped his hand.“I am really proud of what you did today.”
“Well, like I said, I’ve got a family to provide for now.”He kissed her lightly, then his attention was drawn to the screen.“Six hundred!Get in there.”

Thank you for the comments, once again! This is the last chapter, hope people like it.

CHAPTER 15

Spencer was finishing off work at the gym, Rosie standing nearby.Her expression looked slightly downcast.“So…you don’t own the gym anymore?”
“Well…I still own some of it.I’ll still be able to afford to get Daisy some new dolls.”
Rosie smiled.“That’s nice then.”She sidled over to the counter where Spencer had almost finished cashing up.“So, do you want to show me the showers then?”
Spencer gestured distractedly in the direction of the changing rooms.“Yeah, women’s showers are through there on the left.”
Rosie’s face fell slightly.“I meant that we could have a shower together.I heard that couples do that sometimes.”
Spencer paused and looked up at her, before walking over to the doors and locking them.Then he pulled Rosie towards him and kissed her.They began walking towards the shower area, still kissing.“I think,”Spencer replied in between kisses,“that that…sounds like…a good…idea.”

Even though they were sat at a table in the Diner, Ruby and Dexter’s present interaction seemed to involve a lot of touching, whispering and giggling and not much eating of the snacks in front of them. It was behaviour which would normally have Sasha, their eating companion, rolling her eyes but at the moment she was engrossed in writing and reading text messages on her phone.
Dexter finally dragged his attention away from Ruby long enough to glance across at her.“That from Doctor Sexy?”
Sasha redenned somewhat.Ruby smiled.“I think that was a yes.”
“Ah, my work here is done,”Dexter sighed.
“We’ve just had one coffee together,”Sasha protested.
“And are you seeing him again?”
Sasha couldn’t hide her smile.“I might be.”
It was at that moment that Heath and April entered, Heath with his arm round April’s waist and April pushing Domina in a pushchair.“Hey, what are you doing here?”Dexter asked.
“We got a call,”April explained.
Before anyone could ask further, Bianca appeared, in a wheelchair, being pushed by Irene.Ruby ran over and hugged her.“Oh my god, why didn’t you tell me you were getting out?”
“Go easy with the woman with spinal damage,”Bianca requested,“There’s more of you than there used to be.”
Ruby pulled back hurriedly.“Sorry.”
“It’s okay, I’m on the mend.”Bianca patted the wheelchair.“I should even be out of this in a couple of weeks.”
April came over and give Bianca a gentle hug.“It’s good to have you back, Bi.”
“And I think someone else has missed you,”Heath added, scooping Domina out of her chair and placing her in Bianca’s lap.Domina gurgled happily at the sight of her mother.
Bianca smiled at her daughter before looking up at her sister and brother-in-law.“Thanks for looking after her.”
Heath shrugged.“No problem.”

Heath and April arrived back at the house and collapsed onto the sofa, cuddling up to each other.“It seems quiet around here, doesn’t it?”April asked.
“Yeah,”Heath agreed.
April pulled away from him slightly, looking him in the eye.“Have you ever thought about us having a baby?”
Heath looked at her suspiciously.“You’re not…”
“No, no,”April assured him,“I just thought…one day…”
Heath considered the matter.“Yeah,”he said at last,“I think I’d like that.”
April smiled.“Good.”She leaned over and kissed him, the kiss deepening as they both lost themselves in each other’s arms.

Archived