A Summer Bay Wedding 3 - Don't Tell The Bride

Guest TelephotoMarigold

Ah my Mike :wub:

Firstly I am so so glad that Jennie is Mike's, that's the best thing about this chapter. I hope that Danni doesn't find about the wedding until she needs to know otherwise all the effort that he and Nicole are putting in will not be worth it at all.

Secondly, I do not like the way that phonecall sounded to Danni, I really hope she doesn't thinks something is going on because that would literally break my heart. :(

Looking forward to reading more :wub:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HIP HIP HOORAY for Jennie being Mike's I so didn't want her to be Bretts so I am glad about that.

and oh no. Looks like Mike's about to get himself into some very hot water already and his only just started planning this wedding. :lol:

Hopefully Danni will think it's just a random girl Mike is seeing. I say hopefully because if she starts to think that he is seeing Nicole that would be far worse and cause big trouble.

• 3 months later...

Chapter 3

Mike looked down at his laptop screen. His eyes were blurring as he focused on the masses of colours he saw before him. Pink. Lilac. White. Cream. All different shades of them too.
“Well?”
“I don’t know.”
“You need to decide,” Nic said coldly.
“But I don’t know Nic,” Mike heard himself saying again.
“Mike pay attention. We have five weeks. Until you chose the bridesmaid dresses we can’t commit to anything. This is the colour scheme. Do you even know what Danni’s dress is like?”
“I thought you were going to find that out,” Mike’s voice rose in panic.
“Danni, has been noticeably absent every time I’ve been round to see Ella,” Nic said pouting at that.
Mike pushed his hand through his hair and sighed.
“Lilac, no, cream.”
“Cream,” Nic said slowly.
“Wait, hang on,” Mike pulled out his phone and dialled.
The call went through to voicemail and he frowned before hanging up and redialling, grimacing as it was answered on the second ring.
“What?”
“Mum, it’s….”
“I know who it is, I want to know what it wants…” Ella muttered.
“I know you are busy having lunch,” Mike said emphasising the lunch part of the statement and feeling his face flushing as he heard Roman in the background of the call.
“Yes,” Ella muttered again, “So what do you want?”
“Danni’s dress,” he began.
“What dress?”
Mike sucked in a breath and sighed slowly, “Mum, I need a general description of the dress you got Danni,” he murmured finally.
“I’ve bought Danni a lot of dresses,” Ella said as Roman murmured, “wedding dress,” in the background.
“Yes, exactly,” Mike said trying not to look at Nic sitting on the sofa across the room from him.
So he was trying to arrange a secret wedding with Danni as he conspired with Nic whilst his parents were off having, lunch for want of a more accurate description. Considering the breathless note in his mother’s voice when she answered the phone lunch wasn’t the only thing they were having and that wasn’t a disturbing mental image at all. Maybe he should just forget all this and just re-join the army.
“Oh, Mike what are you planning?”
“I’m here with Nic,” Mike pointed out quickly, “We’re talking weddings….”
“Oh,” his mother said again.
“You know what they say about weddings, they have a way of bringing people together. All very romantic,” Mike continued hoping that his mother would get the hint because if she didn’t then he didn’t know what he’d have to say next. Like possibly outing the couple’s relationship to Nic who’d mass-text the entire Summer Bay. .
“It’s lace. Cream. Well off-white. Full skirt.”
“Thank you mother, that’s just what I needed. I’ll let you get back to lunch.”
He hung up the phone and met the very curious expression of Nic.
“Lunch?” She asked looking thoughtful, “Seems strange that she’s having lunch at two pm. And my Dad isn’t at the diner.”
Mike offered her a blank look, “Where is he then?”
“You tell me, you went a very funny colour during that phonecall,” Nic prodded.
“Her dress is ‘off white’.”
“Oh,” Nic moved quickly off the sofa and over to the laptop as the distraction worked, “Anything else?”
“Mum said lace, cream, off-white, full skirt.”
“Oh I wish she’d said just what kind of dress, was it ballerina or princess or a-line?”
Mike glared at Nic for a long moment before he dialled again and was unsurprised when it went to voicemail the first and second time and nearly dropped the phone when Roman answered the third time.
“Better be good,” the other man muttered in his ear.
“Princess, ballerina or A-line?” Mike asked quickly. He heard Roman repeating the options before his mother answered in the background with ‘ball gown’.
He repeated it to Nic who nodded and asked, “Tulle with lace overskirt?”
Before he could say as much to Roman he heard his mother shout out in the background, “Lace overskirt, cap sleeves, sweetheart neckline, crystal encrusted bodice.”
“My mother says,” Mike began and repeated the description to Nic. It was almost comical watching the changing expressions on her face when it came to clothes. He supposed he should complement her on the outfit she was wearing now, Chinese inspired obviously with a dragon pattern on a bright teal background.
“Your Mother says that if you call again she will tell Danni what you are planning,” Roman muttered in his ear.
“Nic, do we have everything we need now?” Mike asked more to indicate who he was with to Roman than actually wanting to know any more detail. Not that the descriptions he’d heard meant anything to him.
“Well…” Nic turned and gave him a look, “You could ask who she’s having lunch with?”
Roman obviously heard the comment through the phone because the next thing that Mike heard was a growl in his ear coming from the other man.
“I think we’re better off not knowing,” Mike said abruptly and hung up the phone before replacing it in his pocket.
“So are we going with Lilac?”
“Actually,” Mike said slowly.
“Come on man we need some decisions here, I bet you didn’t dither this much when it came to Afghanistan!”
“Well no, it was either shot or disarm the IED. Much simpler decisions than a colour scheme for a wedding!”
He could tell from her expression she was sorry she’d brought up Afghanistan but for him he didn’t have any lingering traumas from his time in the military unlike Roman. Leaning forward and looking at the screen he sighed before standing up and striding over to the corner where he’d stacked up the wedding magazines in a pile. Riffling through them he pulled out the one he was after and took that back to her.
“Do you think that Mum will have the wedding in the garden?” he asked his sister, “Only I think this will be what Danni would really like.”
He opened up the magazine at the page he’d marked out and showed his sister the article he’d found inside of a wedding they’d featured. Candle lamps were hooked on the branches of trees and under them was a long wooden table. Flowers and candles were entwined down the centre of the table amongst differing styles of dinner settings.
“That is cute,” Nic screwed her nose up as she looked at it before smiling, “and you are right, it is what Danni would like. No fuss just family and a few close friends.”
“Well that is what I’ll do,” Mike nodded, “It makes the colour choice easy. Pink and cream.”
“Not lilac?”
“Yeah, lilac too,” Mike told her looking back at the picture.
“So wait what is the colour scheme I’m getting a bit confused here,” as Nic frowned a minute crease appeared in her otherwise smooth forehead.
“It’s all of them Nic. I want candles and flowers in every shade. I want crystal candlesticks and golden ones. I want glasses and mirrors and…” Mike looked at her.
“So basically the theme you’ve chosen is vintage boho?”
“If that is what it is.”
He shrugged and looked back at the picture in the magazine again seeing the roughhewn table covered with vintage china pieces of all shapes and sizes in amongst ordinary glasses and cut crystal glasses. Cream candles were dotted amongst the setting but he wanted different colours, dark lilac, violet, pinks and cream, scented candles along with ordinary ones. His mum liked vanilla and he knew that Roman seemed to like sandlewood.
“So the flowers?”
“Daisies, lilacs and roses,” Mike told her immediately.
“Anything else?”
“Well I’ll leave that to you,” he offered her a smile before placing the magazine back in the pile.
“Ok, I can do that.”
Nic stretched up and eased the kinks out of her back before smiling at him and then reaching for her handbag. He watched as she took out an organiser and began making notes.
“Bridesmaids,” she spoke softly but there was a hint of briskness to her voice.
“I thought Lily. But only because she’d kill me if I didn’t choose her.”
“Not Sophie?”
“No,” Mike lifted up his head and looked at his sister, “If I choose Sophie then I have to choose Meggy and then the twins and what about Angel and Mira and then,” he shrugged, “Amy-Belle and Daniella?”
“I see your problem which probably explains why Ella chose all of us,” she responded, “I wonder who’d they have at their next wedding?”
Mike grinned at his sister and shook his head.
“Come on Mike, gotta give me something here, you are living with Dad, neither one of them appears to be seeing anyone else. They have to get back together. It’s like a law or something.”
“Nic, Roman is playing Dad. He’s too busy to see anybody. As for Mum she’s back doing her photography.”
“So they aren’t seeing anybody?”
“No,” Mike told her.
He could have broken the secret but the fact that even though Roman was getting on a bit he could still kill him and for disturbing their ‘lunch’ he still might.
“Can’t you drop hints?”
“Oh come on Nicole, this is your father and Ella we’re talking about. Like hints would work.”
She pouted at him again before moving over to the laptop and beginning to surf various suppliers.
“So, let’s start with antique stores,” she told him.
He gave her a puzzled look before realising she was referring to his ‘shabby chic’ tableware. Antique stores. He could manage that. The rest of the list he wasn’t so sure about.

Mike panicking about the wedding dresses, and phoning Roman and Ella while they were enjoying their sexy lunchtime sessions was very funny As was Nicole's quick fire questions about the wedding theme.

Just think what Mike will be like when it comes to choosing the sort of cake that they will have for the wedding :P He might just explode with all the stress. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Chapter 4

Mike looked over at the display in the wedding shop. Suits. He didn’t want to wear one despite the fact that he didn’t actually feel uncomfortable in them unlike Roman. Glaring at the various displays he tried to remember what Nic had said and just when he was about to turn tail and disappear the door opened and his mother walked in.
“Mum?” He asked shocked.
“I’m deputising for Nic apparently,” she murmured.
“Oh really?”
“Something about how I might spot a dress I want to wear,” she added.
Mike nodded and smirked. “So you’re supposed to be looking at wedding dresses?”
“I think that was the general theme,” Ella smiled at her son.
“So what are you going to do about Dad?”
“He’s moving home soon,” she smiled again, not just a regular smile but she looked genuinely happy.
“I’m glad but I’m sure that he wants more than that,” Mike said quietly.
“He does and in a while we might take a leaf out of your book and get married but right now, I just want him home and work on our relationship and well enjoy each other again.”
Mike nodded before he looked back at the suits.
“I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing, should I..”
“Roman Michael Addison Harris, you and Danni have been in love for years. Marriage isn’t a next step for you it’s just a natural progression. It’s sealing what is already between you.”
“How…. Mum, how far did you get with tracing Danni’s birth mother?”
“What makes you think I did?”
“Because you knew that Danni needed to know who she was,” he said simply.
“James has run out of leads. He’s narrowed it down to six possible names but he needs to find a current location for some of them.”
Mike nodded.
“I thought you would be doing something.”
“We need to get you a suit before Nic turns up to check on you,” she murmured to him and grinned when he pointed at a dress that was similar in style to her last wedding dress.
“Are you sure you don’t see anything you like?”
“Mike my son; do you want me to spill the beans to Danni?”
Mike let out a laugh and moved over to the rails containing the suits unaware he was giving a look of distress off at being faced with the vast selection. Every word Nic had uttered had crept out of his head and he couldn’t remember if he was supposed to get the pin stripe one or the tuxedo.
“Mum…” he cried out.
“Right,” Ella pulled out her organiser and rifled through the pages. “Apparently you are to go for the one that has cream accessories,” she instructed.
Mike groaned. “Okay, that rules out apparently none of them!”
“Here, hold this,” she thrust her organiser into his hands and started going through the suits on the racks selecting a few for Mike to try on.
“Doctors appointment? Blood Tests? Mum?”
“Oh for god’s sake… Mike that’s private!” She snatched back her organiser and thrust the suits at him.
“Is that why you won’t marry him again? Are you ill?” Mike groaned, “God Mum why didn’t you tell us?”
“If you’ve finished jumping to conclusions.”
“Mum..” he muttered juggling the suits before getting a grip on them and laying them over one arm.
“I’m not ill. It’s routine. I have them every so often.”
“Are you sure because you’re avoiding making eye contact with me and I have to say it’s kinda off putting here.”
“Mike, I’m fine, it’s routine.”
He looked at her for a long minute before nodding knowing that he wouldn’t get any more information from her and made a mental note to check up on her just after the appointment. Nodding again he looked down at the suits she’d placed in his arms and sighed. They were exactly the kind he didn’t want to wear. Too formal and the material was heavy. Looking over at his mother he saw her smirk at him.
“Very funny Mother,” he groaned and handed then back to her. “Can we get this done because I have to be back at school in a bit?”
Ella placed the suits back on the rails and picked out one other. She held it up and he gave a small sigh before grinning.
“I believe this is what you were thinking off?”
“Yeah exactly, and well can you get one in Georgie’s size?”
“Are you sure you don’t want me to wait to do that? He’s going through his growth spurt at the moment and …”
“Five weeks mother, we’re doing this in five weeks.”
“Uh huh,” she murmured giving him a look.
“I need to talk to you anyway,” he began.
She pointed to the changing rooms behind him and he nodded again before heading into the small cubical to try on the suit. He came out moments later and looked over at his mother seeking approval.
“Perfect. I’ll pick out Georgie’s suit and then we’ll pay for them.”
“I’ll pay,” he insisted.
“Mike,” she began.
“No mother, I cashed in some bonds. It’s fine.”
“I’m sure you have it all worked out but the fact is the parents of the bride pay for the wedding. We’re Danni’s parents and we pay.”
“We? As in you and Dad?”
“No, me and the postman!”
“I was just checking, and hey, as least you didn’t hit me!”
“I’m saving that for when I’m not being filmed by security cameras,” She murmured as he grinned at her.
“Seriously Mum, I’ve got this,” he said slowly as he turned in the mirror and checked the suit out.
“No Mike, Roman and I talked about it and we’re paying. As in both of us. As Danni’s parents.”
He looked over at her and smiled again. “Fine,” he agreed before heading back into the changing room and coming out after a couple of minutes dressed back in the shirt and trousers he’d originally worn.
“You’ll need new shoes and a tie and…”
“Now you are sounding like Nic,” he muttered giving his mother a look.
“Well I am deputising for her,” she took the suit from him and placing it next to the one she’d picked out for Georgie she moved over to the tills and paid for them.
“Can’t tempt you with any of these?” He gestured to the wedding dresses on display near to her.
“Not yet,” Ella said quietly.
He picked up on her words, “Yet?” He questioned.
“Maybe in a while,”
“If Dad behaves?”
“Ah Mike, it’s not like that. I just want stability!”
He grimaced at the hurt note in her voice before accompanying her out of the shop. Guiding her over to a nearby café he gave her a searching look before sitting at a table opposite her.
“Mum, can I borrow the garden?”
“Borrow the garden?”
“Remember the marquee you did for Meggy’s birthday and the fairy grotto for the younger kids? Well I was thinking along the lines for that for the wedding.”
She gave him one of her assessing looks and he grinned back at her.
“Mine and Danni’s wedding,” he asserted.
“Just checking,” she sighed.
“Well, Danni won’t want anything like the Sands or the club. She’ll want something simple and meaningful.”
“When exactly are you doing this Mike? You said five weeks earlier.”
“Exactly. Five weeks means that it will be at Christmas. That is meaningful to us.”
“When you brought her home,” Ella said quietly.
The conversation paused as they ordered and were served with drinks and sandwiches. He noticed that his mother picked at the salad they’d served on the side of hers before she looked over at him.
“Mum?”
“Your Dad is encouraging me to use family photographs in my exhibition.”
“You don’t have to protect us anymore you know,” he began.
“I do Mike. What if someone decides to come after one of you for the money? I know I’m not in the millionaire stakes but they won’t know that.”
“If Dad thinks they are okay..”
“It was Gabby who suggested it.”
“Is that all that is worrying you?”
“No, it’s Roman coming home. Finishing my degree. Organising things for the kids. Christmas. Everything just seems to be happening at once and…”
Mike stared at her for the longest time before he reached across and picked out her organiser from her handbag and placing it in front of her without opening it.
“I think that if this was as routine as you say it is then you wouldn’t be worrying so much about everything.”
“Your Dad didn’t cope so well last time I was ill,” she finally said.
“He’ll cope this time. He’s not going to do anything to lose you this time. I know Dad. I’ve seen him falling back in love with you Mum, he adores you. He’ll cope.”
His mother shook her head again before she picked up her cup and took a drink.
“You can use the garden;” she murmured quietly, “Your Dad has details of the marquee company that was used for Meggy’s party.”
“Still can’t figure out how you got him to do that, I mean Dad has done some tough missions in the past but organising a teenager’s birthday party?”
“You aren’t equating your lovely sister to terrorists are you?”
“That would be the same lovely sister who used to kick me every time I came home from boarding school, so er yeah I am!” He laughed at his mother’s expression, torn between wanting to defend Meggy and agreeing with him before he sobered, “actually now you mention terrorists I want Lily to be bridesmaid…… ouch!” he rubbed at the spot where his mother had poked him.
“Lily is a sweet girl,” Ella defended with a straight face.
“Sweet my…” he rubbed again at the new spot where his mother had poked him. “Will you stop doing that?”
“No, not at all, probably never.”
Mike chuckled.

Archived