Follow Your Heart

Guest Danni02

Thanks for the comments. As mentioned yesterday I'm a little busy right now so this will be the last one for a couple of weeks.

Eleven

Dexter stood and looked between the two girls who were both just silently staring at each other. “Well I think I’ll...” Dex pointed away from the girls before walking off, figuring he should leave them to talk and he also just wanted to get away from the awkwardness.

“Hey,” Ruby managed a weak smile. “I heard you were back here.”

“Yeah,” April cleared her throat. “Missed Bianca and Katie, even Dex,” April gave a little laugh as they looked over at him and he was pretending to have found something interesting to read on a notice board. “I eh, I hear congratulations are in order.” April smiled as she pointed to Ruby’s left hand.

“Eh,” Ruby cleared her throat. “Yeah, thanks,” Ruby glanced down at her left hand before hiding it from view. “You know it was Romeo, right?”

“Yeah,” April nodded. “You uhm....you always were a nice couple.”

Ruby gave a little shrug. “Uhm yeah... so, how about you? Are you seeing anyone right now?”

“Not at the moment,” April answered. “So hows uni?” April was keen to change the subject from her love life.

“Yeah good,” Ruby answered. “About to start my final year,” Ruby exhaled. “Not sure whether to go back and do teaching and be a music teacher or to look for a job in the music industry.”

“You were always set on being a music teacher,” April answered. “You should stick to that. You’d make a good teacher,” April gave a smile. “You have a lot of patience with kids.”

Ruby laughed. “Not sure I do,” Ruby said. “My brothers and sister annoy the hell outta me most of the time.”

“Aren’t little siblings are supposed to?” April answered with a laugh. “But you’ve got another year before you need to decide I guess.” April said and Ruby gave a little nod.

“Yeah,” Ruby pursed her lips together. April seemed even more gorgeous after not seeing her for so long. Ruby couldn’t help but get flashes in her mind of what they used to have and wondered if maybe they should have fought harder to keep their relationship together. “Anyways,” Ruby shook the thoughts from her mind as she broke contact with her gorgeous deep brown eyes. “I need to get this shopping home then get to work so...”

“Sure,” April pursed her lips together. “Well it was nice seeing you.”

“Yeah,” Ruby cleared her throat once again. “I guess I’ll see you around.”

“Yeah,” April smiled, maybe a little too enthusiastically before watching Ruby as she walked away. She hit her palm against her forehead as she sighed, unable to stop wishing that Ruby wasn’t married.

Toby and Noah burst through the house door, slamming themselves against their mother, fighting to hug her first. “Boys,” Charlie gave a little laugh as she lifted Toby up, Toby wrapping his arms tightly around her neck. “Toby let me breath.” Charlie said as she tried to loosen his grip on her. Toby gave a little giggle before kissing her cheek over and over as Charlie wrapped her other hand around Noah as he hugged into her.

“I miss you mummy.” Toby said.

“I missed you too, trouble.” Charlie rubbed his back as she kissed his temple. Although she knew she definitely didn’t want any more children it still saddened her that her youngest was already 3 years old.

“You have a good time at daddy’s?” Charlie questioned as she put Toby down and he gave a little nod before he ran off through the house.

“Yeah,” Ella answered her mother as she gave her a side hug, given that Noah was still stuck to Charlie’s other side. “We watched Brave on Friday night and we went to the park on Saturday and then me and Nattie baked some cupcakes,” Ella told her mother. “I should have some. Dad where are they?” Ella looked up to Brax who was standing in the doorway.

“Eh,” Brax scratched the back of his head. “I think Natalie put some in your bag.” Brax told her.

“Oh well you know what colour icing I picked mum?” Ella questioned. “Guess.” Ella said as she zipped open the bag, Rosie ragdoll – still very much a beloved item to Ella – being pulled out first.

“Oh...” Charlie exhaled. “Maybe pink and yellow?”

“Yeah,” Ella pulled the Tupperware box from the bag and put it up on the table. “Can I have one now?”

“You can have one after dinner,” Charlie said. “Go put your stuff away in your room.” Ella sighed as she picked up the bag.

“Oh mummy you know what?” Ella said as her eyes widened. “Daddy is taking Nattie to the Palace for dinner.”

“Oh is he?” Charlie felt her heart sink a little and it was only now she had a proper look at her estranged husband. He was dressed smarter than usual in a blue shirt and a pair of dark jeans. “Oh, you look very nice.” Charlie forced a smile.

“The palace though mummy, the Palace.” Ella emphasised.

“It’s not a Palace.” Noah laughed at his sister.

“Is too.” Ella stuck her tongue out.

“Uh-uh,” Noah shook his head. “There’s no Princes or Princesses that live here.”

Charlie and Brax both gave a little laugh. “You two go put your stuff back into your rooms,” Charlie said. “I need to talk to daddy.”

Noah shot his head up at his mother. “Not shouting?”

“No,” Charlie ran her hand over his hair. “We won’t shout,” Charlie gave him a smile. “Go on. Then mummy will come through and play a game with the 3 of you before dinner, how does that sound?”

“Well yes but not a baby game.” Ella told her.

“It’ll have to be something Toby can play too.” Charlie said.

“No,” Ella frowned. “I won’t play a game for babies.” Ella said before she ran out of the kitchen and Noah followed with his bag.

“So....” Charlie raised her eyebrows as she looked back to Brax. “Dinner at the poshest restaurant in the area,” Charlie said. It was a very expensive restaurant in Reefton Lakes, and the building was big and very posh looking, hence Ella saying it was a Palace. “Feeling guilty?”

Brax pursed his lips together. “Last night shouldn’t have happened.” Although Brax spoke the words, Charlie didn’t believe he meant that, given the tone of his voice.

“I see,” Charlie pursed her lips together, already feeling upset. “So, I suppose you want me to just act like it didn’t happen?”

“If you could.” Brax gave a weak smile.

“I’m not sure I can to be honest,” Charlie answered. “Brax, I love you so much and I....” Charlie paused for a breath, needing to keep herself composed. “I know we both wanted that to happen. Clearly we did or it wouldn’t have happened in the first place.”

“Just because we both want it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do,” Brax answered. “Not even thinking about the fact that I’m with Nat now, I....” Brax paused before rubbing his forehead.

“Ahhhh,” Charlie and Brax turned their heads to face the door to the living room as they heard Toby’s screams before he burst into tears. “Mummy.” Toby screeched as he ran back to the kitchen.

“What’s wrong?” Charlie lifted Toby up and soothed him by rubbing his back as his curly locks hit her face.

“Ella,” Toby said between his cries. “She be’s mean.” Toby buried his head further into his mothers shoulder.

“You want me to go and talk to her?” Brax questioned as he started to walk further into the house.

“No,” Charlie shook her head. “I’ll let you get to your romantic dinner. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Charlie spoke coldly before leaving the room, leaving Brax standing alone. He took a deep breath as he played with his bare wedding ring finger and sighed before turning and walking out of the house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments. Managed to get this one written for you guys. :)

Tweleve

April walked into the diner, hoping to see Irene to ask her if there was actually a job available. She looked around and couldn’t see her around so she walked over to the counter to the guy who was standing around seemingly doing nothing. She stood a looked at him, watching as he looked down to his phone. She cleared her throat, making him aware of her presence. “You after something?” He questioned.

“Yeah,” April pursed her lips together. “Is Irene around?”

“No she’s finished for the day,” The boy answered. “Maybe one of the other workers can help?”

“Maybe,” April gave a little shrug. “Leah around?”

“No it’s her day off.” The boy said before glancing down at his phone again.

“You know you are not supposed to be on your phone when you are working?” April widened her eyes as she heard the voice that appeared from the kitchen.

“Like you are my boss.” The boy mumbled as he put his phone away.

“Just go do some work, Pete,” Ruby sighed. “Look at all those tables that need clearing.” Ruby pointed in the direction of some dirty tables at the back of the diner. Pete rolled his eyes before walking away to clear up.

“He is useless,” Ruby sighed as she looked at April. “Only been here for about two weeks but don’t think he’ll last much longer,” Ruby rolled her eyes. “So, what were you after?”

“Uhm,” April paused. “I eh....Dex said there might be a job and...” April bit her lip. Working next to her ex-girlfriend who she’d never really gotten over probably wouldn’t be the best idea.

“Oh,” Ruby widened her eyes a little, she too unsure how that would go. “Well I can eh....I’ll let Irene or Leah know you were interested. I’m sure they’d prefer you over Pete and uhm....” Ruby rubbed the back of her head.

“No it’s fine if the jobs been taken,” April spoke quickly. “I eh....I’m sure I’ll find something else.” April played with her bracelet as she watched Ruby’s hand go up to her necklace. She widened her eyes as she saw she was still wearing the elephant pendant.

Ruby noticed April eyes on her pendant so she dropped it under her top before looking back to her. “Well I’m sure if you wanted to work here we could uhm....” Ruby cleared her throat. “It would be okay, right?”

April shrugged her shoulders before looking quickly in the direction of the door before looking back to Ruby. “Well the job has been taken so....” April exhaled. “I’ll see you around.” April made a quick exit from the diner as Ruby rubbed her hand over her face. She’d only run into April twice and already she hated seeing her and not being with her and thought maybe, that working together could also end up being a good thing. She exhaled as she shook the thoughts from her head as she played with her wedding rings before going over to a table to take a customer’s order.

Charlie was sitting in the living room. The TV was playing a movie but she wasn’t really paying attention. Her eyes were red and blotchy from the crying she had done once the kids were all tucked up in bed. She knew Brax and she was pretty sure he still wanted to be with her so didn’t understand what was stopping him. She only knew there was more to it that he fact he was with Natalie. She wanted so much to have her family back and each day she spent apart from Brax, she felt like her heart was breaking that little bit more. She felt angry for letting herself get her hopes up after the previous night’s events and was hurt that Brax wanted to act like nothing happened. “Hello mummy.” Charlie wiped her hand over her eyes before looking to the side to see Ella walking into the room, Rosie ragdoll tucked under her arm.

Charlie raised her eyebrows. “What you doing awake?” Charlie asked as Ella climbed up onto the couch.

“I can’t sleep.” Ella answered and it was then Charlie noticed she had something in her hand.

“Eh, what you doing with these?” Charlie questioned taking her rings from Ella’s hand. “They’re not to be played with and you shouldn’t go into mummy’s room to play.”

“I like them,” Ella gave a little shrug as she looked to Charlie’s wedding rings. “And you don’t wear them anymore,” Ella defended as she looked back up at her mother. “Why not?”

“Because mummy and daddy aren’t together anymore.” Charlie spoke sadly as she cupped her daughter’s cheek with her hand.

“No,” Ella sighed sadly. “Daddy is with Nattie now,” Ella said. “I like Nattie but I wish daddy would still be with you.” Ella cuddled into Charlie and Charlie wrapped her arms around her daughter.

“I know.” Charlie spoke quietly as she placed a kiss on her daughters head while she played with her hair.

“That’s my birthday wish,” Ella said. “That daddy comes home.”

Charlie felt her heart breaking a little as she hugged her daughter closer to her. “It’s not your birthday for a long time yet petal,” Charlie told her. “You’ve only been 6 a few months.”

“Yeah but it’s my wish, okay?” Ella pulled back a little and Charlie looked into her deep blue eyes as she tucked her chocolate brown hair behind her ear.

“I’m not sure you can wish for things like that darling.” Charlie said. Of course Charlie was wishing the very same but she couldn’t tell her 6 year old that.

“You can,” Ella nodded. “You can wish anything you want,” Charlie pursed her lips together as she felt her eyes stinging with fresh tears. “You been crying,” Ella said as she wiped her hand over Charlie’s cheeks. “Don’t be sad.” Ella sounded like she was going to cry at her mother’s apparent upset.

“I’m not sad,” Charlie tried her best to sound upbeat. “I’m just feeling tired.”

Ella furrowed her eyebrows, unsure with her mother’s response. She sighed as she moved Rosie in her arms. “Do I need to go to school tomorrow?” Ella questioned, changing the subject completely.

“Afraid so.” Charlie answered. The twins were due back at school after the summer holidays and were staring Year 1 and Toby was going to Kindergarten 3 mornings a week.

“Toby doesn’t have too.” Ella frowned.

“He’ll be in Kindergarten,” Charlie exhaled. She wasn’t ready to let Toby go in the mornings. She knew it would be good for him to interact with other kids and learn new skills but he was her baby and she’d be sad let him go, even if it was only for a few hours a few mornings a week. “You remember when you were in Kindy?”

“Yeah,” Ella nodded. “Toby was a new baby,” Ella moved her hair from in front of her face as Charlie looked unsure. Ella would only have been 3 when she was in Kindergarten, 4 when she finished so she wasn’t sure how much she actually could remember of it. “Then I went to Prep.”

“That’s right,” Charlie answered. “Year One now huh, you are getting to big.” Charlie said as she lightly rubbed Ella’s arm as she hugged into her.

“Yeah,” Ella answered. “Will daddy be there when I start my new year?”

“Eh, no,” Charlie shook her head. “It’ll just be me taking you.”

“Oh,” Ella bowed her head down sadly. “Well can I get a cupcake in my lunchbox?” Ella questioned, her eyes brightening a little as she waited on the answer.

“Sure,” Charlie laughed. “If you get to bed now,” Charlie tickled Ella’s sides resulting in some giggles. “Go on,” Charlie lifted her daughter off the couch as she stood up. “Goodnight.” Charlie placed a kiss on Ella’s head.

“Night mummy, love you.” Ella said as she rubbed her tired eyes.

“Love you to petal.” Charlie smiled down at her daughter as she ran back to her bedroom. She exhaled as she stood in the living room, looking down to her hand in which she held her rings. She took a deep breath as she ran her thumb over them. She didn’t ever want to take them off but about 6 months ago now, she did. It was around the time that Brax started dating Natalie and she felt like she really had lost him, but right now she didn’t really have a clue what was going on. She sighed lightly before switching off the TV and walking through to her bedroom to get herself ready for bed.

Thanks for the comments. :wub:

Thirteen

Charlie looked up from behind the bar and her eyes widened in surprise as she saw Roman walking towards her. She unintentionally patted her dress down before running her hands through her hair. “Roman,” Charlie gave a smile as he took a seat on the bar stool. “You here to eat?”

“Nice joint you have here,” Roman gave her a smile as he lay something down on the bar top. Charlie looked down to see her watch sitting there. “You left this at the hotel room.”

“Oh,” Charlie ran her hand over where her watch normally sat. “I wondered where that had gone.” Charlie looked beyond Roman and watched as Brax - more slowly than usual – started clearing away plates that has been left at the table of people who’d just left.

Roman gave a little laugh. “Thought I’d better return it.”

“Thank you.” Charlie smiled and this didn’t go unnoticed by Brax. He watched her as she put her hand forward and picked the watch up before putting it on her wrist. Roman smiled back at her and turned around to see Brax glaring in their direction.

“This the husband?” Roman questioned as he turned back to face Charlie and she bit her lip as she nodded. “Want to make him jealous?” Roman questioned and Charlie screwed her face up, a little confused. “If he sees another guy interested in you then his true feelings will come out,” Roman told her. “So, I could take you out.”

“I couldn’t let you do that,” Charlie shook her head as she kept her eyes on Brax who still hadn’t stacked the four plates together. “It wouldn’t be fair to ask you to do that.”

“You’re not asking me,” Roman answered. “I’m offering. I’d get to go out on a few dates with a hot woman and maybe even get to have some fun,” Roman raised his eyebrows suggestively. “And you could possibly be making him all jealous resulting in a possible reunion.”

Charlie exhaled as she bit her lip, watching as Brax finally walked into the kitchen with the plates. “No. I’m not going to start playing games,” Charlie sighed. “He’s made it clear where we stand and I just need to get over that,” Charlie spoke sadly. “But thanks for offering to help.”

Roman exhaled as he leaned over the bar and pulled a paper napkin close to him. “You have a pen?” Charlie handed him a pen from next to the till and he jotted down a number. “Here’s my number if you change your mind or maybe even if you decide you do want to try to move on,” Roman said as he stood up from the bar stool. “Like I said I’m still stationed out for SAS but I get to come home sometimes so...” Roman stopped talking. “See you.”

“Bye.” Charlie smiled as she took the napkin from him just as Brax walked back into the restaurant from the kitchen, seeing their hands brush together before Roman walked away. He watched as Charlie looked down to the number before she folded it up.

“Who was that?” Brax stepped behind the bar, standing close to Charlie.

“What’s it to you?” Charlie questioned.

Brax gave a sort of snigger. “You seeing him?”

“So what if I am?” Charlie questioned. “Technically I am available for dates.”

Brax felt his heart hurting a little at the idea of Charlie being with another man. “I don’t want you to see anyone else.”

“Well it’s not really up to you is it?” Charlie voice got a little louder and Heath looked up from the table where he was taking an order.

“It is if he is going to be around my children.” Brax retorted, his voice also raising.

“Oh,” Charlie sniggered. “Because you asked me if I would be okay with Natalie being around the kids right enough.” Charlie rolled her eyes as Heath excused himself from taking orders and walked over to the bar, where Charlie and Brax were bickering, causing the customers to look in their direction.

“This isn’t about Natalie right now,” Brax exhaled. “It’s about you dating and I don’t want you seeing anyone else.”

“Guys,” Heath stepped behind the bar. “It’s probably best if you -”

Charlie gasped in disbelief, ignoring Heath’s presence. “So you don’t want me but I can’t see anyone else?” Charlie said.

“Well I -”

“Guys seriously -”Heath tried again but was interrupted.

“You’re unbelievable Brax.” Charlie spat before she stormed out of the restaurant leaving before her shift finished, but not really caring, she just wanted to get away from Brax.

Ruby walked into the apartment she shared with her husband. “Hey, I was beginning to get worried about you,” Romeo said from the couch as he opened his arm out. Ruby threw her bag down before sitting down, snuggling into her husband. “You were supposed to finish work an hour ago.”

“I was just walking....thinking...” Ruby exhaled. Since April had been in asking about a job the day before it was all she could think about. She did her best to stop herself mentioning it to Irene several times during the shift she’d just done and was doing fine until 5 minutes before her shift was due to end when Pete spilt two bowls of hot soup on the counter.

“About?” Romeo questioned.

“Nothing that important,” Ruby answered quickly, thinking it was probably best if she didn’t tell her new husband about her feelings for April re-emerging ever stronger than the feelings she still had for her already. “How was your day?”

“Boring,” Romeo sighed. “But my gorgeous wife is here now so maybe it’s about to get exciting.” Romeo raised his eyebrows before leaning down and placing a soft kiss onto Ruby’s neck.

“Mmm, I need to go for a shower.” Ruby yawned as she pulled away and turned her head to face him. “Then an early night.”

“I’m up for that,” Romeo once again raised his eyebrows as he tucked Ruby’s hair behind her ear. “Maybe we could turn that shower into a nice hot bath.”

Ruby smiled lightly as Romeo’s hand caressed her upper arm. She looked into his eyes and she knew she loved him, she just wasn’t sure if she was in love with him and she knew that her mother was right in what she said to her before the wedding. “How about we do that tomorrow night?” Ruby questioned. “I’ll be more awake,” Ruby gave another yawn. “I just want a quick shower then bed right now.”

“Okay,” Romeo gave a weak smile. “And it is your first day back at uni tomorrow,” Romeo exhaled. “You need to be fresh for that, right?”

“I sure do.” Ruby said as she jumped up from the couch. She leaned down at placed a soft kiss on Romeo’s lips before she turned and walked down the hall to the bathroom.

Heath handed Bianca the glass of water before taking a seat next to her on the couch, Bianca snuggling herself down into his chest. “Sorry I had to work later tonight.” Heath apologised again. He was supposed to be almost finished work but then Charlie left so he stayed longer to help Brax out.

“It’s fine.” Bianca said before taking a sip of the water.

“But you’ve not felt great today and I’ve had a long shift at work and you’ve have Katie all day.”

“Not all day,” Bianca said. “She had Kindy, I had work,” Bianca swallowed as she put her hand on her chest, feeling a little sick still. “And April’s been here.”

“She’s back at uni tomorrow, right?” Heath questioned and Bianca gave a little nod. Primary school and High school’s were back today so she wasn’t sure why the uni’s got an extra day.

“It’s alright her staying here, right?” Bianca questioned.

“Of course,” Heath answered. “She’s your little sister. She’s my family and she can stay as long as she wants.”

Bianca gave him a thankful smile before looking into his eyes, knowing something was still on his mind. “Anything you want to talk about?”

Heath screwed his face up. “What? No.”

“Are you sure?” Bianca questioned. “You’ve not been you for a few days.”

“Of course I am me,” Heath gave a little laugh. “Just...” Heath pursed his lips together but before he spoke again a bang was heard from outside. Bianca jumped, her glass of water spilling over her legs. Heath stood up and walked over to the door. He took a deep breath before opening it and walking outside looking around for signs of someone but he couldn’t see anyone or anything. He exhaled as he looked down, seeing the plant pot that sat at the door had fallen down. He sighed as he put it back to standing before looking around again before walking back into the house, closing the door behind him and shutting the lock. “Wind must have knocked the plant over.” Heath said as he walked back over to the couch, sitting back down in his spot as Bianca leaned into him again.

The man looked for shadows through the window and when he was sure he was no longer watching, he emerged from behind the bush and straightened himself up before running off into the dark of the night.

Thank you Sarah, Red Ranger 1, Spotd1 and emmamurphy8 for the comments. Hope this one is okay....

Fourteen

Charlie gently ran her hand over her sleeping son’s head, moving his curly locks from his little face. He’d loved his first day at Kindy and had already talked about Max, a friend he’d been playing with all morning. “Oh sweetheart.” Charlie mumbled. She hated that Toby would never remember a time where his parents were together. Although they’d came together to celebrate the birthdays of both the twins and Toby, Charlie knew that soon, things would probably change and they’d end up having two smaller birthday parties. One with her and one with Brax and most probably Natalie. They had Katie’s birthday at the weekend and Charlie hated that Natalie would be there. She knew she had every right, she was friends with Bianca and she worked with her and of course, she was Brax’s girlfriend.

“Mum there’s a noise outside.” Charlie looked around as she saw Noah walking into Toby’s room. Although they used to share for a while, once Ruby moved in with Romeo her room got turned into a bedroom for Toby so him and Noah no longer needed to share.

“It’s just the wind buddy.” Charlie wrapped her arm around Noah as he cuddled into her.

“No,” Noah answered. “It’s someone.”

Charlie ran her hand over his hair before she stood up. “Okay, I’ll go have a look, but you get back to bed, okay?” Charlie gave her son a hug before kissing his cheek. Noah nodded as he ran back to his own bedroom. Charlie exhaled as she ran her hand over her forehead, making her way to the back door. She paused for a moment to listen before she opened the door and looked out into the night. “Hello?” Charlie said but was met with only the sounds of the wind. She closed the door and walked over to the fridge and pulled it open, taking out the bottle of white wine. Just as she was going to get a glass there was a knock at the door. Charlie jumped a little before turning around. “Who is it?” Charlie questioned.

“Me.” The voice said and Charlie relaxed a little as the door opened.

“What are you doing here?” Charlie questioned. “Come to tell me when I can and can’t drink now too?”

Brax sniggered as his gaze went to the laptop that was on the kitchen table. His eyes widened at what he saw. “Divorce?” Brax questioned. “Why are you googling divorce?”

“Well it’s clearly what you want, so...” Charlie gave a little shrug. “May as well start looking at the best way to go about it.”

“I don’t want a divorce,” Brax exhaled. “I....you....you do?”

“Of course not,” Charlie answered. “I don’t want this. I don’t want any of this, Brax,” Charlie sighed. “If I got what I wanted we wouldn’t even be separated right now.” Charlie looked to her estranged husband, images of the other night unable to leave her mind. She wanted so much to grab him and kiss him, but was so confused over his feelings, she held back.

Brax bowed his head down. “It’s complicated.”

“No it’s not,” Charlie raised her voice. “You either want to be with me or you don’t. What do you want Brax?” Charlie questioned. “The fact you’re with Natalie makes me think you don’t want us to be together but now you say you don’t want a divorce and you don’t want me seeing anyone else so what the hell is going on with you?” Charlie asked, her voice getting louder and her tone more angry and confused as she spoke.

“I....I don’t....” Brax rubbed his forehead with his hand. He took a deep breath and stepped forward, pulling Charlie closer into him and placing a kiss on her lips. Charlie smiled into the kiss, as their tongues swirled around each other’s mouths. Charlie knew deep down that this wasn’t a straight answer and he could most likely backtrack what happened, but, she wanted him. She couldn’t think rationally right now, not when she was being held between his muscular arms, when their kiss was getting even more intense. She ran her hands up his back before coming round to his front and started to undo the buttons on his shirt as they made their way to the bedroom.

April smiled into the kiss, letting it deepen as their hands caressed each other’s naked bodies. “Mmm,” April gave a little moan as they moved on the bed, so she was straddling over Ruby. She started kissing her jawline before placing quick soft kisses on her neck.

“Mmm April.....”

“April....April....” Katie shook her auntie by the shoulder. “April.” She shouted in her ear causing April to jump up.

“Mmm what?” April rubbed her eyes before looking down to Katie who was sitting on the pillow next to where April was sleeping.

“I need bweakfist.” Katie said.

“Where’s mummy and daddy?” April asked with a yawn as she gave a stretch.

“Uhm....” Katie scratched the side of her head. “He be surfing.”

“Right,” April got out of her bed as Katie jumped down to the floor. “And what about mummy?” Katie took April’s hand as they walked out of the bedroom.

“She run away.” Katie scrunched her face up as she answered.

April gave a little laugh. “She ran away?” April questioned. “I don’t think mummy would run away.”

“Uh-huh,” Katie nodded her head. “She run fast.”

April screwed her face up as Katie climbed up onto the chair at the table. “Bianca,” April shouted. “Bianca?” April said again before she heard the toilet flushing and a pale faced Bianca appeared back in the room. “You alright?”

“Think I’m just taking a bug.” Bianca replied as she patted her hand against her chest a few times.

“Mummy you no get me toast.” Katie said as she held her hands out to the side.

“Sorry pumpkin, I’m back now,” Bianca smiled down at the little girl. “You just want toast today? No egg?”

“No egg,” Katie shook her head. “Only toast please.”

“Toast coming up,” Bianca said before looking around to April. “You want anything?”

“Uhm not right now,” April answered. “I’m going to grab a shower first,” April said as she looked to her watch. “Kinda overslept so don’t have much time to get ready for uni.” April said before disappearing down the hall to the bathroom, not able to get her dream out of her head.

Charlie was letting the grains of sand fall though the gaps of her fingers. She was looking out towards the ocean, replaying the events of last night in her head. “You look deep in thought,” Charlie looked up to see Leah standing beside her. “Everything okay? Leah questioned as she sat down next to her.

“Hey,” Charlie gave her a smile. “I’m fine.” Charlie looked to the side where Toby was busy making sandcastles.

“Hey Tobes, how you doing?” Leah questioned.

“I building.” Toby answered quickly before going back to putting sand into his bucket.

“I see,” Leah gave a little nod before looking back to his mother. “So, how did the talk with Brax go?” Leah quietened her voice, although not really necessary. Toby was both too young and to busy building his sandcastles to take notice of what they would be talking about.

“Not good,” Charlie shook her head. “Then we had another argument when he thought I was seeing Roman but then he comes around to the house and we end up....” Charlie trailed off as she raised her eyebrows. Leah widened her eyes.

“Well I hope you are being safe.” Leah said.

“That’s what you are going to say to me?” Charlie questioned a little surprised that this was her friends response. “But for the record, yes, we were safe. Definitely no more babies coming from me,” Charlie answered. “But Leah, I....” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head, feeling really confused. “I have no idea what’s going on. I’m not getting a straight answer from Brax and I do feel bad for what we are doing to Natalie. She’s not a bad a person and she doesn’t deserve this.”

“Well you and Brax need to talk and sort this out,” Leah exhaled. “And when I say talk, I mean talk,” Leah said. “Don’t let it turn into random sex,” Leah quietened her voice as she saw Toby looking her way. “You either going to have to end this for good or get back together.”

“I know,” Charlie sighed as she once again let the sand grains fall through the gaps of her fingers. “And I know what I want. It’s Brax who’s the puzzle.”

“Well the facts he’s slept with you twice in the last 3 days has to mean something.” Leah said.

Charlie gave a little shrug. “I don’t want to believe anything,” Charlie said. “I’ll just get my hopes up then end up getting hurt yet again so...” Charlie trailed off as she looked down to her watch. “I need to go pick the twins up from school,” Charlie said as she looked around to Toby and ruffled his curly locks. “Let’s get this stuff packet away.”

“No mummy,” Toby shook his head, continuing to put sand into the bucket. “Leave them.”

“We can’t leave them at school,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “C’mon, we can come back to the beach other day.”

Toby scowled as he tipped his bucket upside down, emptying it of the sand. “We get Noah then.” Toby said as he jumped up to standing.

“And Ella too,” Charlie laughed as she picked up Toby’s spade before standing to her feet, knocking the sand off the back of her dress. “See you later.” Charlie gave Leah a thankful smile before she and Toby left to get the twins from school.

Fifteen

Natalie walked back into the house she shared with Brax. He was sitting on the couch watching a tennis match from the Australian Open. “Since when have you watched tennis?” Natalie screwed her face up, a little confused at the scene.

“Since there’s nothing else on TV,” Brax answered as he looked up to his girlfriend and could see by the look on her face that something wasn’t right. “Everything alright?”

“Where do I start?” Natalie sounded upset as she leaned against the arm of the chair. “I only have a couple weeks left at Summer Bay High and don’t know what I’m doing next.”

“You applied for Yabbie Creek though. I’m sure you’ll get that.” Brax said, trying to sound comforting.

“I didn’t even get an interview,” Natalie sounded like she was going to cry as she pointed to a letter addressed to her that sitting on the table. “I’ve been looking online today but,” Natalie shook her head. “Nothing.”

“Nothing at all?” Brax questioned.

“The closest school counsellor job vacancy is in Townsville.” Natalie exhaled as she let her bag fall onto the chair, Brax noticing a brown bag sticking out of it.

“Queensland?” Brax questioned and Natalie nodded.

“Don’t suppose you’d want to start afresh?” Natalie questioned.

“I can’t leave the Bay,” Brax told her. “My kids are here and I’m not moving even 5 minutes away from them.”

“Of course,” Natalie answered. She knew Brax would never leave his children and wasn’t really sure why she even suggested it. “I’m sure something will come up. Maybe I’ll just need to stack shelves for a while or something,” Natalie pursed her lips together. “Or work with you.”

“Nat,” Brax rubbed his forehead. “We’ve been over this already babe,” Brax leaned forward and took her hands into his, rubbing them gently. “Me, you and Charlie working together,” Brax shook his head. “You really think it would work?”

“We’re all adults and I guess if we needed to....we should be able to make it work,” Natalie answered. “I don’t know what I’m going to do otherwise, Brax. In two weeks time I am out of a job.”

“Something will come up,” Brax told her. “So you have a few weeks or months where you are out of a job, is it really that big a deal?” Brax questioned. “I make money. We won’t starve or lose the house.” Brax gave a little laugh.

“So much of your money already goes to Charlie for the kids and....” Natalie bowed her head down as she trailed off. “It’s important that we’re making enough money because...” Natalie once again paused.

“What are you talking about?” Brax screwed his face up in confusion. Natalie took a deep breath before pulling the brown bag from her bag. Brax’s eyes widened as she produced a pregnancy test from the bag. “Uhm....are you....” Brax cleared his throat as he trailed off.

“I need to take it before we can find out.” Natalie replied, hints of nerves in her tone.

“Okay, well, you should do that then...” Brax exhaled as he rubbed her back comfortingly. “Just go take the test.” Brax gave her an encouraging smile before Natalie took another deep breath as she stood up and headed for the bathroom. Brax exhaled as he fell back on the couch thinking that this was probably the worst timing for Natalie to suspect she was pregnant given his recent events with Charlie and hoped that Natalie was just panicking. He exhaled once again as he hid his head in his hands, praying for a negative result.

“Toby Michael Braxton,” Charlie raised her voice as Toby widened his eyes at his mother’s sudden change in mood. “Stop throwing your vegetables on the floor.”

“I’m not,” Toby shook his head. “They just fall.”

“No he threw them I saw,” Ella said as she put some carrots into her mouth. “I’m eating mines, see.” Ella opened her mouth wide and Charlie screwed her face up.

“Ella close your mouth,” Charlie said and Ella furrowed her eyebrows before going back to chewing her food with her mouth closed. “But good job on eating all your veggies,” Ella straightened herself up all proud. “But you mister,” Charlie looked back around to her youngest son. “You need to eat some.”

Toby clamped his hands over his mouth as he shook his head. “Toby,” Noah gasped. “You won’t get dessert.”

Toby nodded his head as he looked to Charlie who shook her head back at him. “Go on, just the broccoli considering your carrots and cauliflower are all over the floor.” Charlie rolled her eyes as she bent down, picking the veggies up off the floor.

“Eww brokwli.” Toby screwed his face up in disgust.

“Look at me Toby,” Noah said and Toby looked around to his brother and watched as he ate a piece of broccoli. “It’s easy.” Noah swallowed. Charlie gave him a thankful smile as Toby copied his big brother.

“Good boys,” Charlie smiled as she stood up from the table as there was a knock at the door. She walked passed Noah, ruffling his hair on the way past, just as the door opened before Charlie got there.

“Ruby.” The kids all shouted in unison.

“Hey guys,” Ruby waved at her siblings. “You being good and eating up all your veggies?”

“Toby is throwing them away but me and Noah are,” Ella answered before taking a drink of her apple juice. “Why you here Ruby?”

“Oh so I can’t come see my favourite little sister?” Ruby tickled Ella’s sides, resulting in her giggling. “And of course my darling brothers.” Ruby moved around the table and stood between the boys, ruffling both of their hair.

“I’m about to get these 3 some ice-cream if you want any.” Charlie told her daughter as she walked over to the cupboard and pulled out 3 bowls.

“Nah no thanks,” Ruby shook her head. “I did want to talk though, maybe somewhere...” Ruby gestured to the living room and Charlie gave a little nod as Ruby disappeared through the room, taking a seat on the couch, and waiting on Charlie to dish the kids up some ice-cream before she come through to talk to her.

Bianca was in the bathroom, throwing up once again. “Poor mummy,” Katie gently rubbed her back. “Why you sick?”

Bianca shook her head as she reached for some toilet paper, wiping it over her mouth. “I don’t know pumpkin,” Bianca answered, putting her hand on her chest as she swallowed. “Think mummy is just taking a bit of a bug.”

Katie screwed her face up. “Like a ladybug?”

“No,” Bianca managed a little laugh. “I mean I am getting sick so won’t feel good for a few days.”

“Oh.” Katie answered. “Well can I get a bug too?”

“You don’t want to be sick,” Bianca told her as she leaned herself against the bathroom wall, staying put for now, feeling she wasn’t quiet over being sick. “It’s not nice.”

“No not be sick,” Katie moved her hair from in front of her face. “I mean a ladybug.”

“I’m not sure they’d make the best pets.” Bianca told her.

“Well a puppy and a kitty,” Katie said. “They’d be good, ay?”

“Yeah they’d be better pets,” Bianca swallowed once again. “But you don’t need both, do you?” Bianca questioned. She was actually open to the idea of getting a pet one day and thought it might be some company for Katie considering she didn’t plan on giving her a sibling.

“They’d be friends,” Katie told her mother. “I’d love them too.” Katie smiled as she cuddled closer to Bianca.

“I’m sure you would.” Bianca said as she ran her hand through her brown locks. Katie looking up to her, her big brown eyes all wide and angelic looking.

“So I get them?” Katie questioned. “It my birthday.”

“Ahh but we’ve already got your presents,” Bianca said. “And let me tell you little lady you’ve been spoiled enough already.” Bianca was looking forward to seeing Katie’s face when she got all her presents at her birthday party on Saturday. She couldn’t believe she’d already be 4 in only a few days time. Katie gave a big grin, excited for her party. It was only going to be a small party, Heath and Bianca deciding to wait until she was in Year One before inviting class mates, but they knew she’d still have a blast partying with her cousins.

“Well a kitty is only little.” Katie said as she held her hands closely together.

“Hmm,” Bianca raised her eyebrows. “C’mon, we’ll finally get you that dessert huh?” Bianca stood up from the bathroom floor, throwing the toilet paper into the toilet before flushing it away as Katie had already ran out of the bathroom, screaming out names she wanted to call her kitty. Bianca shook her head lightly, not sure they’d get away with not getting a cat now.

April knocked on the door of Dexter’s apartment. As soon as the door opened April hit Dexter’s arm, rather hard. “Ouch,” Dexter rubbed where she’d hit. “I don’t know how they do it in Cairns but that’s no way to say hello.” Dexter said as April walked into the apartment.

“I just got offered a job in the diner.” April said, sounding angry.

“And that’s a bad thing?” Dexter screwed his face up, confused as he continued to rub his arm.

April nodded her head. “Hey, Dex here’s a question,” April said. “When you told me about getting a job in the diner did you purposely leave out that the girl I’m madly in love with works there?” April said and Dexter widened his eyes, surprised April revealed her true feelings as easily. Sure he suspected she still liked Ruby, but he had no idea she was still madly in love with her.

“I’m sorry,” Dexter answered. “I forgot. Really. I did honestly forget.”

April shook her head at him as they walked into the living room, April smiling as she saw the girl from the fridge picture sitting on the couch. “Have I interrupted?” April questioned.

“No,” Adrian answered. “We’re just chilling. I’m Adrian by the way, Dex’s better half.” Adrian gave a cheeky smile as she glanced at Dexter.

“I’m April.” April said as the girls shook hands.

“Ah yes, Dex has mentioned you a lot,” Adrian smiled. “Nice to put a face to the name,” April looked at Dex, wondering what he had been saying about her. “Don’t worry it’s all be good,” Adrian told her. “Well except from the fact that you were his first love and broke his heart,” April widened her eyes in shock, but relaxed when Adrian laughed. “No, he didn’t really. I know you’re his ex, but, that’s all he said about that. Well that and the fact you’re into girls so it was no surprise you ended things with him.”

April gave a little nod before looking back to Dex, waiting on him to explain more about the job. “Look, would working with Ruby be such a bad thing?” Dex questioned as he sat down next to Adrian, with April taking a seat on the chair. “Maybe you could be friends.”

“I don’t want to be her friend,” April sighed. “I thought....when things ended with Carly, I....I loved her, but, you know, it wasn’t like the love I experienced with Ruby. When I decided to move back here I thought maybe we would be able to try again but now she is married and....” April sighed as she hid her face with her hands. “But she still wears my necklace, I....” April let out a loud noise of frustration. “Help me.” April looked up to Dex and Adrian, desperately needing advice.

“This sounds more like something you’d be good at,” Dex said as he patted Adrian’s thigh. “I’ll go put the kettle on though.” Dex said as he quickly vacated the couch and ran over to the kitchen, leaving Adrian to give April some love advice.

Thanks for the comments.

Sixteen

Adrian took a sip of the coffee as she watched April staring at her, wanting some answers. “I’m sorry,” Adrian sighed. “I’m not so good with this advice thing either.”

“Well what would you do if you were in this situation?” April questioned. “Would you leave Dex to be happy with his new wife or would you want to be the one to make him happy?”

Adrian sucked in her bottom lip. “I’d feel sorry for the poor sucker who agreed to marry Dex.” Adrian said and Dex looked most offended. Adrian gave a little laugh. “No, seriously, I uhm....I’d want to be the one to make him happy.” Adrian told April.

“So you’d tell him how you feel?” April kept her hands wrapped around the coffee cup.

“Depends,” Adrian answered. “If I thought there was a part of him who wanted to be with me too, then yes,” Adrian said. “If not, I mean if he was completely happy with this other person, I don’t think I could come between them. Sure it would suck for me, but, at least I’d know he was truly happy.”

April exhaled. “So I should turn investigator and see how happy she is in her marriage?” April questioned and Adrian gave a little nod.

“You’d be at the wedding right?” April questioned and they both nodded in reply. “Well what did you think?” April questioned. “Is she in love?”

“She loves him,” Dex said. “Is she in love with him?” Dex gave a little shrug. “I’m not so sure.”

“Adrian?” April questioned.

“What Dex said,” Adrian answered. “I mean, Rubes and I aren’t the best of friends but we’ll sometimes hang out and I sometimes get the impression she’s just settling,” Adrian sucked her bottom lip in. “Romeo is a lovely guy and would do anything for Ruby, but, for me it just doesn’t seem like true love.”

April felt excited by this. Maybe she would have a chance. “And before Romeo, do you know if she’s even been with another girl?” April had always wondered this. Although Ruby eventually classes herself as a bi-sexual, she thought maybe she only did that for her benefit and now was back to saying she was straight.

“Not that I am aware,” Dex answered. “But doesn’t mean to say it didn’t happen.”

“Hmm,” April pursed her lips together. It didn’t really matter what Ruby saw herself as, all that mattered was Ruby was at one point in love her and it could happen again. “Maybe me taking this job in the diner won’t be such a bad thing after all,” April said. “We’d be spending time together and.....” April gave a little shrug. “Maybe it could lead somewhere.”

“Yeah maybe,” Adrian answered. “The more time you spend with her the easier it’ll be to know where she stands.” April exhaled as she agreed with what Adrian said. She wasn’t about to condone coming between a husband and wife but when her own happiness was at stake maybe it was something that just needed to be done.

Charlie sighed as she listened to what her eldest daughter was saying. “Ruby, I....” Charlie pursed her lips together as she shook her head. “I told you before you got married to make sure it was what you really wanted,” Charlie said. “I told you not to do this if it didn’t feel right.”

“I know,” Ruby rolled her wedding rings around her finger. “But I do love him.”

“Do you love him or are you in love with him?” Charlie questioned. “I understand you don’t want to hurt him, but Rubes, sweetie, what’s more important is that you make yourself happy.” Charlie took Ruby’s hands into hers, rubbing them gently.

“What and have the shortest marriage in history?” Ruby questioned, feeling herself welling up. “I just wish I listened to you, I wish....I wish you tried harder to stop me going through with this.”

“Don’t put the blame on me, Ruby,” Charlie said. “You are 21 years old. You are more than capable of running your own life.”

“I still need you,” Ruby sniffed back. “I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to hurt Romeo again but, now she’s back....I....” Ruby moved her hand up and started playing with her necklace. “I don’t even know if she is still interested in me in that way, but....” Ruby exhaled. “Maybe I need to find that out first, you know see if us being an....us is actually an option.”

“And if it’s not you’ll stay with Romeo just because?” Charlie questioned. “Regardless of April being back here, I think you need to decide if being with Romeo for the rest of your life is what you actually want,” Charlie told her. “Don’t stay with him if you are not 100 percent happy.”

Ruby exhaled as she continued to play with her necklace. “And you won’t be mad that you spent money on our wedding only for it to possibly be over after not even a month?”

“Of course I will,” Charlie sighed. “But if it’s going to make you happier not being with Romeo then it needs to be done.”

Ruby gave a weak smile before sighing as she ran her hand through her hair. “I just don’t know,” Ruby shrugged. “So how are things with you and Brax? He came to his senses yet?”

“I don’t know what’s going on with him right now,” Charlie sighed. “One minute I think we are about to get back together then the next...” Charlie trailed off as she shook her head.

Ruby gasped as her eyes widened. “Did something happen?”

“Maybe...sort of....yes,” Charlie answered. “But I don’t know what it means so until I do -”Charlie started to tell Ruby to keep quiet but she spoke over her.

“Eeee,” Ruby squealed. “But yes,” Ruby shut her lips tightly together and pretended to lock them shut. “My lips are sealed.”

Charlie gave her daughter a thankful smile before looking through to the kitchen door. “Don’t suppose you want to stick around and help me with bath time, do you?”

“I suppose I could,” Ruby gave a cheeky smile before Charlie stood up and went to check if the kids had finished their desserts.

Heath was almost home after work. He turned his head as he thought he heard a noise from behind, but he couldn’t see anything. He exhaled before he continued walking along the sidewalk. He didn’t get that much further when his phone beeped and he pulled it out, instantly recognizing the number. He opened the message. Should have looked harder. Heath looked back around into the dark of the night. “Leave me alone.” Heath shouted. “I’m not helping you.” Heath waited on a reply and jumped a little as his phone went off again. You will and so will your brother. “Nah,” Heath spoke out loud. “Leave us out of it.” Once again, after a while, his phone went off. You’ve had your chance, you’ll be sorry. Heath watched for a moment, looking for signs of shadows or life but he couldn’t see anyone. He looked down as his phone beeped again. Cute wife and kid you’ve got there. Heath immediately went into panic mode and ran as fast as he could back to the house. He burst through the door, shouting Bianca’s name.

“Yeah?” Bianca appeared from their bedroom, wrapping her dressing gown around her body.

“Are you okay?” Heath was out of breath as he felt his heart beating through his chest.

“I’m fine,” Bianca looked a little confused. “Why?”

“And Katie?” Heath questioned. “Katie is good?”

“Yeah she’s in bed asleep.” Bianca screwed her face up as she walked closer to her husband. “Are you alright?”

“Are you sure?” Heath walked over to Katie’s room, relaxing as he saw her sound asleep, hugging her little pink rabbit teddy close to herself.

“Heath?” Bianca rubbed his chest. “You’re hearts racing,” Bianca raised her eyebrows, surprised. “What’s this about?”

“Nothing,” Heath shook his head. “Why don’t you and Katie go away for a few days?” Heath said. “Take her out to the coast or something.”

“Heath we live on the coast,” Bianca gave a little laugh. “Seriously, are you okay?”

“Yeah,” Heath answered. “I mean for a little holiday.”

“We’ve just had the summer holidays. I’m back at work and she is back at Kindy,” Bianca was totally confused at Heath. “Babe, do you want to talk about anything?” Bianca questioned. “I know something has been bothering you lately, does this have anything to do with it?”

“Nah,” Heath shook his head. “It’s just been a long day,” Heath led Bianca away from Katie’s bedroom doorway. “You still feeling sick?”

“I was pretty sick at dinner,” Bianca said as they sat on the couch, Bianca snuggling into her husband as he wrapped his arm around her. “But I feel fine now.”

“Hmm,” Heath gently ran his fingers in a circular motion on her shoulder. “And what about you’re.....your woman things?” Heath questioned.

“If you mean my period, what about it?” Bianca questioned.

“Well you know, are you....still....you’re not like late or anything?” Bianca widened her eyes as she understood what Heath was getting at.

“I uhm....” Bianca paused. Thinking about it now, she was late. She nodded her head in response. “Heath I can’t have a baby.” Bianca immediately started to cry.

“Hey hey,” Heath held her more tightly. “It’ll be okay. We’ll take a test and then we’ll talk from there, yeah?” Heath was actually quite excited at the prospect of a baby. He would have had one years ago if it was up to him, but Bianca had already said she didn’t ever want another child after losing Rocco.

“No no no,” Bianca cried into Heath’s chest. “Please don’t make me have this baby.”

“I’m not going to make you do anything you don’t want,” Heath spoke softly as he placed a kiss on his wife’s head. “But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Let’s just wait till you take a test.”

Bianca gave a shy sort of nod. It wasn’t as if she was too old to have a child, she was only in her early 30’s after all. It was simply because of Rocco she didn’t want to have another child. Why should she move on and be happy with a new baby after she could never see her darling son grow up. Of course she loved Katie more than anything, but, biologically Katie wasn’t hers so she felt she wasn’t doing wrong by Rocco. ”We’ll get a test tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah,” Heath answered as he rubbed her arm. “And I know it’ll be easier said than done, but try not to worry too much right now. No point worrying about the unknown, right?” Bianca took a deep breath before nodding her head, but knowing, just like Heath said, that that would be easier said than done.

Thank you Red Ranger 1, Sarah, emmamurphy8, Spotd1 and Freakie42 for the comments. :wub:

Seventeen

Brax knocked on the door of Charlie’s place. It was Wednesday and he was going to pick up Toby to take him back to his place for the night. “Hey.” Brax smiled as the door opened.

“Hey,” Charlie smiled back before looking in the direction of the living room, where she’d left Toby playing. “To -”Charlie started to shout on her son but Brax put his hand onto her arm and shushed her.

“I wanted to talk first,” Brax told her. “Can we sit down.” Brax pointed to the kitchen table and Charlie nodded, wondering what it was he wanted to talk about.

They sat down at the table and were both silence for a while. “So talk then.” Charlie told him and Brax took a deep breath as he ran his hand over the edge of the table.

“Things aren’t great with me and Nat,” Brax sighed. “I thought we could talk about.”

Charlie sniggered in disbelief. “Sorry, I eh, I don’t think I’m the right person to talk about that with.” Even thought Charlie liked the fact they were arguing, she didn’t want to talk about it. What did Brax expect her to do? Help him with a way to make things better?

Brax pursed his lips together. “She thought she was pregnant,” Brax spoke about it anyways. “It was a false alarm, thankfully,” Brax said. “I uhm....I don’t want any more kids.”

“Really?” Charlie sounded surprised. “This is coming from the guy who was putting holes in condoms to get me pregnant.” Charlie said quietly and Brax bowed his head down, still ashamed he did that.

“Yes, but,” Brax paused. “That was....I.....” Brax rubbed the back of his head. “We were going through a bad time and I thought a baby might bring us closer together again.”

“It couldn’t have been that bad if we were having sex again,” Charlie told him. “And what did you think an unplanned – at least as far as I was aware – pregnancy would do? I wasn’t exactly doing cartwheels when we found out about Toby was I?”

“So, you wish we didn’t have Toby?” Brax questioned.

“Oh you know fine well I am not saying that,” Charlie answered. “All I am saying is a baby wouldn’t have been the answer to our problems. They still would have been there and we’d probably have needed to work even harder at sorting things out before the baby arrived, thus putting even more strain on the relationship.”

“I know, and look we’ve been over all this and I am sorry for what I did. I know it was wrong of me.” Brax said.

“You know someone in Canada got arrest for sexual assault for doing that to his girlfriend.” Charlie told him and Brax screwed his face up, not believing her.

“Shut up.” Brax said.

“I’m being serious,” Charlie told him. “He wanted a baby and she wasn’t ready so he put holes in the condoms to get her pregnant,” Charlie said. “She wound up pregnant, he felt guilty and confessed to her and she got an abortion and he ended up in jail.”

“Well at least you didn’t get pregnant.” Brax said.

“But you didn’t confess either, did you?” Charlie questioned. “I caught you doing it. Say I didn’t catch you there’s every chance we would have had a 4th child together right now.”

“I know,” Brax still did feel bad about what he did. If it wasn’t for that, maybe the arguing wouldn’t have got bad again and he wouldn’t have felt. “But look, you know I am sorry for that and we’re not here to talk about that,” Brax exhaled. “Nat and I, we want different things. She wants kids and I....well I’d only have more if you were the mother,” Brax gave Charlie a smile but she didn’t return one. “Look, what I am trying to say is.....I don’t think Nat and I will get passed this. She loves being a step-mum to our 3 but, I know she wants at least one child of her own.”

“So are you telling me that you are breaking up?” Charlie felt a small glimmer of hope inside her.

“I’m going to break up with her.” Brax said and Charlie couldn’t help but give a squeal of delight before she clamped her hand against her mouth, stopping the sound from escaping anymore.

“And what about us?” Charlie questioned. “Do you want....I mean are we going to....” Charlie felt her heart beating faster, excited at the prospect of getting back with her husband.

“I don’t know, Charlie,” Brax exhaled. “I want too. I really do. I love you so much but,” Brax trailed off. “I don’t want to end up hating you and the few months before we split up, I.....they weren’t good.”

“I know that,” Charlie answered. “But we’ll talk through problems and be open, don’t hold things in. We’ll communicate and we can make this work. It’s what we both want so we owe it to ourselves to try again,” Brax smiled at Charlie’s words before leaning forward and placing a soft kiss on her lips. “Mmm.” Charlie pulled back reluctantly as they heard Toby running into the room.

“Daddy,” Toby shrieked. “We gonna play?”

“We sure are,” Brax smiled down at his son. “You got your bag you want to bring to daddy’s?” Brax questioned and Toby ran back out of the room returning seconds later, dragging a bag with him.

“Bye mummy.” Toby ran over to Charlie and wrapped his arms tightly around her neck in a hug. Charlie choked a little as she loosened his grip. She placed a kiss on his temple before putting him back down.

“You be good at daddy’s and I’ll see you tomorrow okay?” Charlie questioned and Toby nodded as Brax picked up his bag. Charlie picked up the twins’ bags from leaning against the kitchen wall and handed them to Brax, smiling as their hands grazed each others.

“I tell you about Kindy today daddy,” Toby jumped in excitement. “No Ella yet?”

“Nah,” Brax gave a little laugh. “We’ll pick her and Noah up from school later eh,” Brax said and Toby nodded before running out of the house, making aeroplane noises as he waved his arms out to the side. “See you later.” Brax winked before he left the house as his youngest son was shouting on him.

Bianca and Heath were sitting on the bathtub. The test had been ready for almost 5 minutes now, but Bianca wasn’t ready to look. Deep down, she knew what the result was going to be but she was so scared of making a probably her reality. Heath was gently rubbing the small of her back as she had her head rested on his shoulder. “You know putting off finding out isn’t going to change the result.”

“I know,” Bianca murmured. “I don’t need to look really. I know I am pregnant.” Bianca felt a lone tear rolling down her cheek.

Heath placed a soft kiss on her head before leaning to the side and picking the test up, turning it around to see the words pregnant 3+ staring up at him. He felt Bianca’s head move to the side to look at the test before she buried it back into his chest, getting tear drops on his t-shirt. “Babe if you don’t want to be pregnant, then....” Heath took a deep breath. “You don’t have to be.” This was the last thing Heath wanted, but he couldn’t force her to have this child either.

“I couldn’t do that to you.” Bianca sniffed back as she sat up, wiping her hand over her face.

“Just like I can’t make you have a child that you don’t want,” Heath said as he continued to rub her back. “Me, you and Katie are a happy little family, right?” Heath questioned. “We’re happy enough?”

Bianca gave a little nod as she placed her hand over her stomach. “But what kind of mother would I be if I killed my child?” Bianca questioned. “It wouldn’t make sense after my son died that I kill another of my children,” Bianca pursed her lips together as a tear rolled down her cheek. “And you lost your son and you never see Darcy, I....I can’t take this child away from you too.” Bianca wiped her hand over her eyes, getting rid of the tears.

“So, we’re having a baby?” Heath asked, his lips wanting to curl over in a smile but he was trying his hardest to stop himself, knowing how Bianca felt right now.

“We are having a baby.” Bianca took a deep breath to compose herself, already knowing that the next few months at least were going to be difficult.

“So, it’s pretty simple really,” Ruby said as she stood next to April. After April told Irene she would take the job, she was keen to get her trained straight away so started her that very same day. “He’s ordered a latte so you put the cup here,” Ruby placed a cup under the coffee machine. A latte is two shots so push this button,” Ruby pushed a button and two shots of coffee squirted out into the cup. She picked up the milk and poured some into the jug. She lifted the steamer up and put it into the jug before tilting the jug slightly before hitting a button. “Hit this button and let it do the work,” Ruby said. “Hold it at this sort of angle because you’ll get more froth which is especially handy if you are making a cappuccino,” Ruby said and April gave a little nod as she watched Ruby steaming the milk. “Okay, so,” Ruby poured the milk into the cup. “Do you remember how to work the till?” Ruby questioned and April gave a nod although the look of her face said she was unsure. Ruby put a lid on the takeaway cup as April beeped something into the till.

“Oh damn it.” April mumbled. Ruby handed the man the coffee before looking at April.

“What’s wrong?” Ruby questioned.

“I somehow don’t think it’s $4500 for a regular latte.” April looked appalled at her mistake. Ruby gave a little laugh before hitting a few buttons on the till.

“I hope not too.” The man said from the other side of the counter.

“Four-fifty.” Ruby said as she looked up to the man.

“That’s a better price,” The man smiled as he handed April a $5 note. “Your first day?” The man questioned and April nodded.

“That obvious?” She questioned and the man replied with a little smile.

“Keep the change.” The man said before he left the diner. April put the money into the till, taking out a 50cent coin and putting it in the tip jar.

“Hopefully that’s my only mistake of the day.” April exhaled as she looked at Ruby, staring at her eyes that looked even more mesmerizingly green than usual that day.

“You’re just learning so it would be weird if you didn’t make mistakes,” Ruby replied. “And your already better than Pete,” Ruby looked to the back of the room and as if right on cue there was a crash as he dropped a glass to the floor and it shattered into tiny pieces. April widened her eyes, but she felt herself smiling at the compliment.

“Maybe I just have a good teacher,” April’s smile grew larger and Ruby smiled as they stared silently at each other for a moment. Ruby broke eye contact as she cleared her throat. “So, what else do I need to know?” April questioned.

“Uhm,” Ruby rubbed the back of her head before she looked up to the clock. “You get to have Colleen as your teacher now,” Ruby told her. “I have class at 2 so need to get going. Have fun though.” Ruby raised her eyebrows before disappearing into the back room to collect her things. April exhaled as she leaned against the worktop, thinking that it wasn’t that awkward at all working with Ruby and already feeling positive about one day being more than just her ex.

Thanks for the comments. I don’t watch H&A anymore so I don’t know anything about Natalie or her family so this is just my own version. :)

Eighteen

Brax and Toby were playing with some blocks, building some towers when Natalie walked into the house. Brax looked up at her confused. It was only just after 2 and not time for her to be home at all. “Your home early,” Brax put the blocks down on the floor as he stood up. Natalie opened her mouth to talk at it was then that Brax noticed her eyes were all red and blotchy and she’d clearly been crying. “Nat?” Brax questioned. “Is everything okay?” Natalie once again tried to speak but instead she burst into tears. “Hey hey,” Brax rushed over to her and rubbed her arm in comfort. “What’s wrong?”

“My sister,” Natalie squeaked. “She’s....she.....she’s dead.” Brax opened his mouth wide in shock as her led her to the couch. She took a seat as Brax passed her some tissues. Toby looked to her, confused to see her upset and ran over and put his hands on her knees.

“Why she cry?” Toby asked as he looked up to his father.

“She’s just had some bad news bud,” Brax told him. “You go finish your tower yeah?” Brax said and Toby furrowed his eyebrows before running back to the centre of the room and continued to build. Brax bent down in front of Natalie and continued to rub her arms. “What happened?”

Natalie took a moment to talk as the tears fell. “Car accident,” Natalie answered. “I just can’t believe she’s gone.” Natalie said as a fresh tear rolled down her cheek.

“Come here.” Brax pulled Natalie forward, pulling her into a hug, rubbing her back in comfort as he held her.

“Sam said the boys are so confused already,” Natalie sniffed back. “Of course Talia is only a few months old. She’s never even going to know her mother,” Natalie took a deep breath. “But Mason and Jack,” Natalie shook her head. “They’re older. They’ll....” Natalie once again broke down into tears. Brax had only met Natalie’s sister a couple of times, but she was a lovely woman and he’d gotten on well with her husband during their visit.

“I know,” Brax exhaled. “I’m sorry.” Brax held her close to him, letting her get her emotions out.

“You’ll come with me to the funeral, right?” Natalie questioned and Brax exhaled as he gave a little nod.

“Of course,” Brax answered, thinking that right now, there was no way he could break up with her, not when her sister had just died. He couldn’t be that cruel. “I wouldn’t be anywhere else,” Brax said, placing a soft kiss on her head. “You want a drink to calm yourself a little?” Brax questioned as he pulled back.

Natalie shook her head as she wiped a tissue over her eyes. “No, I eh....I think I will go for walk.” Natalie said as she stood up from the couch.

“You sure you should go out yourself?” Brax questioned. “You’ve just had devastating news.”

“I’ll be fine,” Natalie replied. “I just need to....I need to go.” Natalie said before making an exit from the house. Brax sighed as he ran his hand over his forehead.

“Daddy come back to play.” Toby instructed as he was now standing up, the tower he was building almost taller than himself. Brax looked to Toby, who was just like his mother, and exhaled, hoping that Charlie understood that them getting back together would need to be held off for just that little bit longer.

Charlie opened the door and smiled as she saw Leah and Bianca walking into the house. She gave them both a hug hello before they all walked through to the living room, Bianca sighing as she saw the bottle of wine and 3 classes already sitting out for them. Every Wednesday night the women would take it in turns to host and they’d have wine and a catch up. “So how are we both tonight?” Charlie questioned as she picked up the wine bottle and began pouring the first glass.

“Not as good as you by the sounds of it,” Leah replied, the chirp in Charlie’s voice unmissable. “Something happen?”

“Nah,” Charlie tried to sound casual as she handed out the first glass to Bianca. She looked down at it as she pursed her lips together.

“Can I just have an apple juice please?” Bianca questioned. “I haven’t felt great the last couple of days so don’t feel like drinking.”

“Oh, sure,” Charlie answered, handing the glass to Leah instead before picking up an empty wine glass and handing it to Bianca. “You can still drink it in this, make it feel like you are having wine,” Charlie gave a little laugh and Bianca managed a weak smile before disappearing through to the kitchen to get herself some apple juice. “She okay?” Charlie asked Leah as she poured herself a glass.

Leah shrugged as she took a seat. “She’s been pretty quiet since I picked her up.” Leah told Charlie. Bianca’s house was in-between Leah and Charlie’s so Leah always walked that way to met Bianca so they could walk the rest of the way together.

“I guess she’s just not been feeling great,” Charlie exhaled as she took a seat. “How was your day?” Charlie questioned before taking a drink of her wine.

“Good,” Leah answered. “April started in the diner today,” Leah told her. “Irene had Ruby showing her the ropes.”

“Oh,” Charlie widened her eyes. “How did that go?”

“They seemed to get on well,” Leah answered and Bianca walked back into the living room, taking a seat on the couch next to Leah. “It’ll be good if they can be friends again.”

“Yeah,” Charlie exhaled. “I think Ruby is a bit thrown by her return to be honest,” Charlie pursed her lips together. “She’s confused about what she wants now.”

“I know April still likes here,” Bianca said. “She’s not told me this, but, I know my sister,” Bianca took a drink of the apple juice. “But I don’t want April hurt,” Bianca said. “Ruby is married and she needs to be careful.”

“The best thing you can do is just leave them to it,” Leah said. “Don’t start meddling.”

“That’s exactly what I am doing,” Charlie answered. “She’s old enough to sort out her own love life and right now I’ve got my own to sort out,” Charlie said before taking a drink of her wine. “And let me tell you it’s doesn’t get easier as you age.”

“Anything you want to share?” Leah questioned with raised eyebrows.

Charlie felt a smile forming on her lips. “Things might be developing.” Charlie couldn’t help but grin.

“Eee.” Leah squealed in excitement.

“Have you slept with him?” Bianca questioned as Charlie noticed she was playing with Toby’s giraffe teddy he’d had since he was a baby.

“Maybe once or twice,” Charlie answered. “And before you say anything I know Natalie is your friend and believe me I do feel bad for what we’ve done, but, at the end of the day Brax is still my husband and I love him.”

Bianca gave a little shrug. “I just don’t think Nat deserves this, that’s all.”

“Neither do I,” Charlie replied, her voice getting a little higher. “But I’m not going to let anything else happen until he breaks things off with her.”

“So, he is going to dump her?” Leah questioned and Charlie gave a little nod.

“I’m happy for you,” Bianca smiled at her friend. “I’m glad you and Brax are getting back together but promise me you really will wait to let anything else happen until he breaks up with her.”

“I promise you,” Charlie said. “It’s not fair or Natalie and me either, really,” Charlie exhaled. “So, if he wants any more then he’ll have to break up with Nat. Although he had said he is going to.”

“And you believe he will?” Bianca questioned.

“I don’t see why not,” Charlie answered. “We both want to be back together and he knows I won’t sneak around, so,” Charlie gave a little shrug. “Anyways, you two have any exciting gossip?” Charlie questioned before taking a drink of her wine.

“Not me,” Leah sighed. “Miles is still Miles and now VJ is a teenager and in High School he doesn’t want to talk to me,” Leah exhaled. “Bianca?” They both looked around to Bianca, seeing her looking down to the little giraffe teddy, running her thumb over it. “Bianca?” Leah said louder causing Bianca to jump a little before looking up to her friends.

“Sorry, what?” Bianca questioned, throwing the giraffe down to the floor.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Leah questioned.

“Mmm fine,” Bianca nodded with pursed lips. “Sorry what were we talking about?”

“Leah asked if you had any gossip to share?” Charlie said, knowing something was on her friends mind.

“Oh eh not really,” Bianca scrunched her face up. “Well, Heath’s been a bit jumpy lately. He alright at work?”

“Well you know Heath and I aren’t exactly close but, yeah, as far as I am aware he’s fine,” Charlie answered. “In fact he’s been the one on top of things lately because Brax and I were finding it more difficult to work together this last week or so,” Charlie said. “But I guess that was just a bit of sexual tension piling up.”

“But you’ve sure battered that out now,” Leah raised her eyebrows cheekily and Charlie threw a cushion at her. “Oh are you guys going to have a renewal of your vows?” Leah questioned. “It would be romantic right, since you’re getting back together. You can renew your marriage and the start of your new lives together.”

“Uh, no,” Charlie shook her head, looking far from impressed with the idea. “I don’t like that at all.”

“Me either,” Bianca said. “You’re already married, why do it again?”

“Aww I think it’s sweet,” Leah said. “Reconfirming your love for one another.”

“So should we expect a renewal ceremony invite from you and Miles soon then?” Charlie questioned.

“Miles isn’t keen for it,” Leah answered. “But maybe one day he’ll gave in and give me what I want,” Leah laughed before finishing off her wine. “Right, fill me up.” Leah handed the glass out for Charlie to fill up. She leaned forward and poured her friend another glass before looking to Bianca, who was sipping on her apple juice.

“Sure you don’t want even a little wine?” Charlie questioned and Bianca shook her head before taking another sip of the apple juice. She’d made up her mind she wasn’t going to rush to tell people she was pregnant. She needed to get used to the idea herself first.

Thanks for the comments.

Nineteen

Charlie was waiting outside the school for the twins. Toby was swinging on the gate at the end of the road, much to Charlie’s disapproval. “Toby,” Charlie said. “I’ve asked you to stop that.”

“It good.” Toby jumped down before immediately jumping back on it.

“He’s notty,” Katie said as she looked up to her auntie. She’d had Katie since after Kindergarten, her usual babysitter sick and Bianca, Heath and Irene all at work, so were unable to look after her. And of course April was at uni. “Toby listen to your mummy.” Katie instructed and Toby looked to his cousin for a moment before he furrowed his eyebrows and continued to swing around the gate. Charlie sighed as she walked over to him and pulled him from the gate, resulting in Toby giving a very high pitched scream.

“Shh,” Charlie put her hand over his mouth. “Stand nice and wait on Ella and Noah.”

“Noah my best brother,” Toby told Katie. “You not got a brother.” Toby stuck his tongue out cheekily.

“Uh-huh,” Katie nodded her head. “He’s named Rocco.”

“Uh-uh,” Toby shook his head. “He not here.”

“He is in heaven,” Katie said. “Ay Charlie?” Katie looked up at her auntie, all wide eyed.

“Yes.” Charlie ran her hand through Katie’s ponytail.

“And Darcy lives New Zealand,” Katie sighed sadly. “I want a baby,” Katie said. “Or a kitty.”

“Can I get a kitty?” Toby questioned as he ran around in circles in front of Charlie and Katie.

“No.” Charlie answered, looking down to her watch, seeing the twins should be getting out any minute now.

“Can I get a baby?” Toby asked.

“Most certainly not,” Charlie answered. “We were closer with a kitty,” Charlie said and Toby scowled before he saw Noah running across the playground. He grinned excitedly before running towards him, shouting his name. “Hey buddy,” Charlie smiled as Noah gave her a hug. He always did this after school, everyday without fail. “How was school?”

“Fine,” Noah answered. “Did you remember my stuff?” Noah questioned and Charlie gave a little nod. Noah went to his karate class after school every Thursday and once, the day after Brax left her, Charlie forgot to bring his karate uniform with her and ever since, Noah had taken to asking her if she had remembered to bring it.

“Hey mum,” Ella ran over to the group waiting on her. “Can I go to Molly’s for dinner?” Ella clasped her hands together, like she was praying. “Please please.” Charlie looked down to the little blonde haired blued eye girl who was also staring up at her, her hands also clasped together.

“Well what does Molly’s mum say?” Charlie questioned.

“It’s fine,” Charlie looked up to see Beth standing behind the girls, along with Kyle, Beth’s son. “Keeps her out of trouble and stops her fighting with this one.” Beth said as she nudged her son.

“With Ella around I’m sure she’s more likely to get her into trouble,” Charlie gave a little laugh. “But that’s fine.” Charlie said.

“Yey.” The girls cheered as Ella dropped her school bag to the ground before running off in the direction of Beth’s car.

“Bye petal thanks for the hug.” Charlie shouted over to Ella.

“I see you tonight mummy.” Ella said before turning her attention to talking with her friend. Molly and Ella had been the best of friends since day one of Kindergarten, 3 years ago now.

“I can bring her around at 7,” Beth told Charlie. “Kyle’s swimming lesson finishes then so when I pick him up I’ll drop her off at yours.”

“That’ll be great, thanks.” Charlie smiled as Toby started pulling on her hand. “It’ll be Melanie there with them as I’ll be at work.”

“Let’s go.” Toby frowned, bored of waiting by the school gates. Charlie and Beth said goodbye before they walked away from each other.

“You alright with that?” Charlie questioned as she saw Katie had picked up Ella’s school bag and put in on herself. Katie nodded before stepping forward and taking Charlie’s hand as Noah took her other, Toby happy to jump about ahead. “So how was daddy’s last night?”

“Fine.” Noah sighed as they made their way back to the car. He never usually gave much of a response about his time at his father’s and Charlie was glad that soon they’d be able to stop all that and be living under the same roof again.

“Nattie died.” Toby said as he turned to face his mother but kept walking backwards.

“No she didn’t,” Noah sounded most annoyed with his brothers mistake. “It was her sister.”

“Noah, what’s this?” Charlie stopped walking and looked down to her six year old.

“Her sister had a car crash,” Noah told his mother. “Now she is in heaven and the boys and baby Talia have no mummy and she doesn’t know how Sam will cope with 3 kids and work and be a windower.”

“You mean widower.” Charlie said and Noah gave a little nod. Charlie placed her hand on her chest, shocked. She was sorry for Natalie for losing her sister, but her instant thought was that this would stop Brax breaking up with her. She pursed her lips together as she stood stuck to the spot.

“Mummy I need to go to karate, c’mon.” Noah pulled on her hand, causing her to continue walking.

“I want karate, mummy.” Toby jumped up and down before her.

“No,” Noah sighed. “You don’t need to just because I do.”

“Yeah you my brother,” Toby gave Noah a loving smile. “I do karate mummy.” Toby did a sort of karate chop, resulting in him falling to the ground but he just giggled as he stood up, wiping down grit from his knees. Charlie watched him to make sure he wasn’t about to burst into tears and when she was certain he wasn’t she opened the car and the kids piled in. She walked around to the driver’s seat and sat down, taking a breath as she couldn’t stop thinking that the reunion between her and Brax was going to be pushed back that little bit more.

Ruby put the dirty plates down on the worktop, next to a heap of already dirty plates. Pete was supposed to be clearing them and loading them into the dishwasher but he was finding his phone a lot more interesting. “It amazes me that you’re not fired yet.” Ruby sighed as she looked to him, unimpressed.

Pete gave a little laugh. “I’m just careful. I would never hang around on my phone if Irene or Leah were lurking around.”

“But Irene is here.” Ruby screwed her face up.

“Yeah but she’s too busy with the new girl,” Pete replied as he looked through the little window, seeing April nodding as Irene was giving her some instructions. “She is well fit,” Pete continued to stare at her. “You know if she is available?”

“I know she is single,” Ruby told him. “But I also know you are not her type.” Ruby said as she looked Pete up and down.

“Oh really?” Pete laughed. “And you are sure about that are you?” Pete put his phone back into his pocket before folding his arms across his chest as he leaned against the worktop.

“One thousand percent,” Ruby answered, almost smugly. “You’re a little bit too much....” Ruby paused, trying to find the right word. “Man for her.”

“She like them younger?” Pete laughed. “I can do immature.”

“I bet,” Ruby raised her eyebrows. “But no, I mean you are a male therefore she won’t be interested.”

“You telling me she is a dyke?” Pete laughed in disbelief. “Nah, she’s way to hot.”

“So that means she can’t be a lesbian?” Ruby questioned with a puzzled look on her face. “Look, you can believe what you want but I’m telling you, April is gay and wouldn’t come near you with a barge pole,” Ruby said. “In fact even if she was straight I know she wouldn’t come near you,” Ruby told him. “Seriously, don’t waste your time chasing her because you don’t stand a chance.”

“I always like a challenge,” Pete told her. “But,” He stopped talking as he looked out to April again, her long dark hair flowing down past her shoulders. Her deep brown eyes drawing him into her. Her smile, her cute little smile. Everything about her, he liked. “She is not gay.”

“Fair enough,” Ruby held her hands out to the side. She wasn’t about to argue with him and she knew April wouldn’t let anything happen anyways. She wasn’t into guys, so why would she? “Look I need to go take some orders,” Ruby told him. “Start cleaning up in here.” Ruby said before she walked back out in the diner, giving April a smile as she walked past her, April returning one.

Twenty

“Hello?” Brax knocked on the open door of the house. “Charlie.” Brax walked in and made his way to the living room.

“Hey.” Charlie appeared from the hallway, giving him a weak smile.

“What have you done with the kids?” Brax gave a little laugh. “It’s awfully quiet.”

“Well its Thursday so Noah is at karate,” Charlie said. “Ella is at a friend’s for dinner and Melanie has Toby and Katie at the park.” Charlie informed him and Brax gave a little nod.

“Right so we have a free house.” Brax gave a little smile before walking forward and placing a soft kiss on Charlie’s lips. Charlie responded for a moment, before pulling back.

“Mmm we can’t do that.” Charlie exhaled sadly. Of course she wanted to. She wanted to do far more than kiss him, but right now she knew they couldn’t.

“We can,” Brax said. “It makes more sense to do it here and now than at work, right?” Brax questioned and Charlie bit her lip. They were both due in at work within the next hour and Brax wanted some ‘couple time’ before having to pretend like they were still separated.

Charlie sighed. “Brax, I don’t think you should be doing this,” Charlie said. “Natalie’s sister has just died. How can you come here and kiss me?”

“How did you know about that?” Brax questioned. He was going to tell Charlie, of course he was, but he wanted a little bit of fun first, as he knew it would be a while longer before they could be together.

“The boys told me,” Charlie exhaled. “Guess you can’t really break up with her now, right?”

“Be seen as a bit of a bastard if I did,” Brax exhaled as he rubbed his forehead. “We can wait a few months, right?” Brax hated asking this, of course he didn’t want to wait any longer, they’d already waited long enough.

“Well we’ve already waited 10, what’s a few more?” Charlie questioned rather sadly. “But Brax, until you do break up with her, we can’t....nothing else can happen with us, you know that right?” Charlie spoke sadly as she rested her hand on his arm.

Brax gave a little nod of disappointment. “I guess, but, look I’m always going to be the bastard here,” Brax sighed. “I’ll still be spoken badly off even if I break up with her a few months after her sister died. You know people will say ‘Oh poor thing, just getting over the shock of losing her sister then she gets dumped’. Maybe I should just do it now so both blows come at once.”

“Brax,” Charlie shook her head. “She’s going to need help through this and as much as I don’t want to delay us getting back together, she needs you right now.”

“She can go to the city,” Brax said. “She can be with Sam. Her brother-in-law, Sarah’s husband. He’ll be more help than I will be.” Brax was confused. He didn’t know what to do for the best.

“Just go home, Brax,” Charlie said. “Be with Natalie tonight.”

“But I have work.” Brax told her.

“Me and Henry will manage fine and if need be then I’ll ask Heath to stay on longer,” Charlie told him. “But you can’t go to work the day after your girlfriends sister died,” Charlie told him. “Now I need to finish getting ready for work, so, I’ll see you later.” Charlie tiptoed up and placed a soft kiss on his cheek before disappearing down the hall. Brax ran his hand over his forehead as he sighed before leaving the house he hoped he soon be back living in.

“Daddy.” Katie jumped into in his arms and Heath gave her a squeeze.

“Hey pumpkin,” Heath kept her in his arms as he smiled at Bianca. “You okay?” Heath questioned and Bianca gave a little nod. “So, what you doing in daddy’s work?”

“We get dinner.” Katie said as she squeezed his cheeks with her hands.

“Oh wow,” Heath put Katie down on the floor and she ran over to a free booth. “Don’t feel like cooking tonight?” Heath questioned and Bianca shook her head. “Take a seat and I’ll bring you some drinks over,” Heath said. “And I’ll ask Charlie if I can join you. I only have 20 minutes left of my shift anyways.” Heath said before walking back behind the bar, getting Katie an orange juice and a bottle of water for Bianca before reaching into the fridge and taking out a bottle of beer, screwing the lid off and taking a drink.

“Eh you are still working.” Charlie said as she walked up to the bar with a drinks order.

“I have 20 minutes left,” Heath argued. “And I did your shift for you when you went awol the other night and there’s like two tables in and one of them are my wife and child,” Heath sighed. “C’mon, it’s 20 minutes Charlie,” Heath said. “Give your favourite brother-in-law a break.” Heath winked.

Charlie rolled her eyes. “Brax isn’t coming in tonight so I thought you could actually stay in longer.” Charlie told him.

Heath pulled a face. “I want to have dinner with my family,” Heath exhaled. “And it’s not as if we are busy. We only have two bookings for tonight and Thursday night isn’t big on the walk-ins, right?”

“Okay,” Charlie held her hands out in front of her. “Make this drinks order for me then you can go have dinner with Bianca and Katie,” Charlie said and Heath smiled, surprised she actually said he could. “But if we do end up getting busy -”

“I’ll be right up to help.” Heath said before getting to work on the drinks.

“Is Bianca okay, by the way?” Charlie questioned.

“She’s fine,” Heath said as he put ice into some glasses. “Why?”

“Just when she was over last night she wasn’t really herself,” Charlie said. “She seemed distracted.”

Heath gave a little shrug. “She’s just not felt well the last few days but she’s all good now.” Heath said, throwing some limes into the glasses.

“Okay,” Charlie looked to Bianca before looking back to Heath. “Away and have your dinner.” Charlie said and Heath gave her a smile, placing the half made drinks own on the worktop, not needing to be told twice. Charlie finished making the drinks as she kept one eye on Bianca, knowing by the look in her eyes that something was on her mind.

Ruby walked into the apartment where she lived with her husband. She smelt a nice smell coming from the kitchen. “Something smells great,” Ruby walked into the kitchen, seeing Romeo busy over the stove. She looked to the table and saw it had a tablecloth draped over it, a bottle of red wine and two glasses sitting there, and a couple of candles lighten. “What’s all this for?”

“Just because,” Romeo answered as he flashed her a smile. Ruby returned the smile, thinking that Romeo was rather handsome and any girl would be lucky to have him. “Come say hey.” Romeo raised his eyebrows as Ruby walked over to him and he wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her in for a kiss.

“Hey.” Ruby smiled as she pulled back.

“Hey,” Romeo laughed. “So how was your day?” Romeo tucked her hair behind her ear.

“Fine,” Ruby answered. “Pete’s still hell to work with but having April around isn’t as awkward as I thought it’d be.” Ruby told him.

“April?” Romeo questioned. “Like your ex-girlfriend April?”

“Yeah,” Ruby answered. “I told you she was back and working at the diner.”

“No,” Romeo shook his head as he pulled back, bringing a short gap between him and his wife. “This is the first I’ve heard of this.”

“Are you sure?” Ruby screwed her face up. “I couldn’t have sworn I told you? And have you not seen her about town?”

“Clearly not,” Romeo answered. “She staying then?” Romeo asked and Ruby nodded. “Well I guess if she is working at the diner, she will be. She single?”

“Yeah.” Ruby nodded.

“Oh so you’ve have that talk already?” Romeo sniggered a little as he shook his head.

“Well she congratulated me on the wedding so I thought it was only polite to ask about her status,” Ruby answered. “You don’t need to be worried,” Ruby stepped forward and put her hand on his arm, rubbing it gently. “I married you, didn’t I?”

“Yeah,” Romeo exhaled. “Yeah you did, sorry. I should trust you,” Romeo gave a weak smile. “Why don’t you go wash up and I’ll get dinner served.” Romeo said and Ruby nodded before standing on her tip-toes and placing a kiss on his lips. She walked down the hall towards the bathroom, already feeling bad for telling him he needn’t worry, because right now, Ruby still wasn’t sure what was going to happen.

Archived