The Diner Jukebox

nenehcherry2

Whilst watching some early years today, thought I'd start a new topic (since it's been about five years since I last did that on here!). Just for fun, let's note tracks that we know playing in the diner background. Obviously, I generally only know the international hits (i.e. of UK and US origin). Such tracks were quite popular in the diner around mid-1990 but some still get airplay in the current 91 shows. Generally, these are all loops of instrumental parts of tracks (copyright I assume) but I've noticed the following -

• Kylie - Better the Devil you Know
  • Black Box - I don't know anybody else (just a loop of the piano)
  • Guru Josh - Infinity
  • Neneh Cherry - Heart
  • Madonna - Vogue
  • Pacific State - 808 State
  • MC Hammer - Can't Touch This
  • Some early Todd Terry house tune (cant remember the name)

Any of you noticed any others? Particuarly interested in the Aussie songs that I would not know the names of....

I don't know the name of it but in a recent 1991 episode, there was a song playing in the Diner while Haydn was talking about how much he likes Marilyn. They used exactly the same song in the Diner/Salon when Marilyn and Haydn got up to naughty business 1996 and Fisher walked in. Intentional?

It ended with the words "Come on, come on. I know you like me."

Edited by beau_t

'Throw Your Arms Around Me' by Hunters and Collectors has played a fair few times in the 1991 season, which of course later became more associated with Shane and Angel (used notably when he collapsed and when Angel left)

Not a hit, but there's also a certain instrumental track which has been used an awful lot in 1990/1991, which is simply named 'The Bayside Diner' - it was the B-Side for the real life release of 'Living Without Your Love' (which of course has also had a few plays in the background since too)

There was one song that used to have the lyrics 'boys will be boys' and it used to be on frequently played around 1989, especially when Dodge was around. Does anyone know the name of the artist or what the song was called?

It was one of my favourite songs in the Diner.

There was one song that used to have the lyrics 'boys will be boys' and it used to be on frequently played around 1989, especially when Dodge was around. Does anyone know the name of the artist or what the song was called?

It was one of my favourite songs in the Diner.

That was "Boys Will Be Boys" by Choirboys from thier 1988 album Big Bad Noise available on Itunes

Those random instrumental tunes/covers seemed to disappear - the ones that were used during 88-90 when I presume they didn't have any music licensing agreement with Mushroom, or a contract that didn't allow them to play much music. For a while there were hardly any songs heard and most of the 'background' music was generic covers by Mike Perjanik.

I've got a feeling I know what the 'Bayside Diner' song sounds like.

Those random instrumental tunes/covers seemed to disappear - the ones that were used during 88-90 when I presume they didn't have any music licensing agreement with Mushroom, or a contract that didn't allow them to play much music. For a while there were hardly any songs heard and most of the 'background' music was generic covers by Mike Perjanik.

I've got a feeling I know what the 'Bayside Diner' song sounds like.

Do you think Mike Perjanik composed the tune we hear in "Peaches" nightclub when Stacey is in there in 88. You also hear the same piece at the party Carly sprays Roo with a soda can. I can't see anyone ever listening to music like that in a club even in 88 but in a strange way I liked it. In the second half of 1990 the majority of songs played in the diner are from Craig McLachlan's album. Singles and album tracks. I think he released it the following year. If anyone is interested. Lately by No justice, which was also played a lot in late 1990 leading up to their appearance is now on youtube.

Edited by Blaxland 89
  • Like 1