Old Avatars

Guest Chris J

As you've probably noticed, we lost the vast majority of avatars in the recent board upgrade. Many of you have already re-uploaded your old avatars or selected new ones, but for those of you who don't have access to your old avatar, if you'd like it restored then please post a message in here and I'll restore it for you from our old forum backup.

Uploading an Avatar Yourself

If you've still got access to your old avatar, to save me having to do hundreds of these it'd be good if you could re-upload it yourself. To do so, click on the grey silhouette next to any of your posts to go to your profile (or click your name at the top right, then click 'My Profile'). Hover over the grey silhouette on your profile page and you'll see a 'Change' button. Click this then upload the avatar you want.

Please only upload square avatars - the crop feature doesn't work as you'd think it would, it'll crop your avatar to a square shape on your profile page, but not next to posts themselves.

But yes, for those of you who may have had custom avatars and don't have the ability to re-upload them, let me know and I'll do it for you.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a gallery of avatars for those of us unskilled in the photographic arts?

There use to be, but I can't see any pre-installed avatars on the forum at the moment. They must have disappeared after the change over of the forum, but they might still be existent. The admin would know.

Is there a gallery of avatars for those of us unskilled in the photographic arts?

Another suggestion would be to go into the Interactive Thread - Creativity and Multimedia section and find the Artwork and Creations thread (or click this link) where there are various artists who have created plenty of icons for you to choose from.

The best thing would be to read first - even though it is based on the old forum there is still relevant information like "hotlinking" and which image hosting websites to use once you have chosen an icon.

Once you've chosen an icon and saved it to your own computer:

Click your user name (top right hand corner of the screen - near the "Sign Out" link)

Click on the box that says "Your Profile" - it will lead you to your Viewing Profile.

Click the box in the left hand corner that says "Change" on it

Use the box that says "Import a photo from a URL" - you need to have an account with eiher Imageshack or Photobucket

(For Photobucket copy and paste the "Direct Link" into the box.

And for Imageshack click on the Image Details button (second button on the right side of the icon) then click "Links to share this image" (First heading on right hand side of page) - copy and paste the "Direct" link into the box.)

Press the Import button.

Then when it has successfully uploaded, press the Done button.

Don't forget to Credit the user for their icon in your signature - that's very important!!

There use to be, but I can't see any pre-installed avatars on the forum at the moment. They must have disappeared after the change over of the forum, but they might still be existent. The admin would know.

It's one of the features that Invision removed from the forum software a few versions ago, as they decided people didn't need it any more. They seem to have made a few questionable decisions like this, and removed some pretty useful features. They also removed the ability to host your avatar on another site, which is why most of the avatars disappeared in the first place when we upgraded.

QA's got the best idea - there are thousands of great avatars to choose from in the Artwork and Creations forum.

You no longer need to upload your avatar to somewhere like Imageshack though, just download it from the thread (typically by right clicking on the image and clicking 'Save image as...' or similar), then upload it directly to your profile. Using QA's instructions:

Click your user name (top right hand corner of the screen - near the "Sign Out" link)

Click on the box that says "Your Profile" - it will lead you to your Viewing Profile.

Click the box in the left hand corner that says "Change" on it

Then click the 'Choose File' button underneath Upload from file, select the image you saved earlier, and click Done.

As QA said, please remember to credit the user who created your avatar in your signature

I haven't got my old avatar back yet. Would anyone adept with Photoshop be able to create a new one of Brax with his shirt off, and the 'Blood and Sand' tattoo across his chest changed to say 'Poor Characterisation', or something to that effect?!

:wink:

I've restored your old one :)

I haven't got my old avatar back yet. Would anyone adept with Photoshop be able to create a new one of Brax with his shirt off, and the 'Blood and Sand' tattoo across his chest changed to say 'Poor Characterisation', or something to that effect?!

:wink:

I've restored your old one :)

Thanks a lot Chris :) .

Archived