New Forum

Guest Chris J

I've just finished upgrading us to the latest version of Invision Board. We were a fair few versions behind (our previous version - 2.3.4 - was released in 2008!!) so quite a few things have changed, as I'm sure you've noticed.

I'll get it out of the way now - we do seem to have lost avatars for the moment. Everyone who had a Profile Photo will now see that showing up next to their posts instead of their avatar, while those of you who didn't have a Profile Photo will see nothing but a grey silhouette :( This is hopefully a temporary issue, and I've contacted the forum support guys to see if there's a way we can restore the old avatars. But for now unfortunately we'll just have to sit it out. All of the old avatar information is still sitting there in the forum backup, so we'll find a way...

I'll let you explore and discover all the changes for yourself, but feel free to let us know what you think in here! There'll be a brand new skin coming soon to make the place look a bit more homely, but for now, get exploring and posting...! Enjoy. :)

P.S. Just to note, most old posts will currently show up with broken emoticons and broken quotes. I'm currently rebuilding the entire post database, which should fix this... but with almost a million posts it's going to take a few more hours to do.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add that whilst some of the staff have already had a play around over the past couple of weeks, there's obviously still an enormous amount to be explored, including a whole new workflow for the moderators. I imagine there will most likely be issues that we weren't able to foresee without a fully active community, so we appreciate your patience whilst we all get used to things. :)

Obviously it's been done during the Christmas break, when the forum isn't quite as busy on a daily basis, so that we can all hopefully be up to speed for the season return!

I can tell it is going to take me a while to get used to it. I don't even know how to change my avatar.

The quickest way is to simply go to your profile and click on your existing photo. Then you can upload from your computer or provide the URL to your image on Photobucket etc. (in either case, the photo now ends up being hosted on BTTB as opposed to elsewhere)

Hey Dan et al,

I know you are working on it but I'm not liking the new look of the forum. Is there an option where you can use a theme that is slightly more defined? I think it would help with selecting topics to read and following posts.

Also, when you read a post that has quoted previous posts it just looks like a long list with no boxes outlining the various quotes and smilies don't seem to be showing up.

Like I said, I'm sure there are things in progress that we don't know about but just in case I thought I would post this...

Thanks,

Tele

Archived