Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This fanfic is a way to use your imagination with info never revealed in the serial itself but noting down any info in the H&A series canon revealed, as this is practically a H&A prequel.

continued...

BARBARA Donald have you forgotten something important?

DON What is that then Barbara?

BARBARA We are here to visit a distant cousin of yours. Why should we go back to Australia when they agreed to let us stay with them once we had a few days to ourselves before meeting the?

DON Yes that is right but we did agree to pay our own way. Now Shane has taken all our money. I knew never to trust him. Targeting fellow Aussies on holiday in Britain. Then again we can reimburse them once we go back. Yes, I agree with you Babs.

BARBARA Dont call me Babs I hate it.

DON James Newark, lives at Victoria Street in Yarmouth, just a short walk from here. Near to St Peter's Road. I have the directions written down.

BARBARA What relation is he to you?

DON Well my dads mum was born in Australia in the 1890s, her parents came from Great Yarmouth, via London to Australia. Her dads brother was the great grandad of Jim so it makes me and Jim second cousins. My nan was a first generation Aussie, she met grandad Edward Fisher.

BARBARA Very rich heritage. Cockney, Norfolk.

DON My nans middle name was Hubbard. Eleanor Hubbard Newark later Fisher. Wonder why they chose it. Maybe a family name.

EXT, HOUSE DOWN VICTORIA STREET IN YARMOUTH, 30 MINUTES LATER.

Donald and Barbara knock on the door of the Newark family. James Newark answers the door.

JAMES Is that you Donald Fisher?

DONALD It sure is.

James and Donald shake hands and pat each other on the shoulder.

JAMES First time I ever met a distant cousin from Australia. Come in.

James's house is a typical former fishermans terraced house.

DONALD Nice house, this is.

JAMES Not really, just a terraced house. The wife likes it.

DONALD Where is your wife now?

JAMES She is in Gorleston visiting her cousin. I have a day off work today. I was not expecting you until the end of the week.

BARBARA Well in London we met a fellow Australian on holiday, we kindly allowed him to come up here to Norfolk but he stole all of our money.

JAMES Oh no.

DONALD We blew our stacks good and proper.

JAMES Blow your stack?

DONALD It is an Aussie phrase for lose your temper, dont worry you will get used to our colourful phrases. Just ask my brother in law.

To be continued.................

• 3 months later...

Right, I wanted to move this on a bit as I think the 1966 setting has gone as far as it can go so have jumped forward almost 19 years to 13th February 1985, and Donald's 40th birthday. The first bit does tie in with him meeting his distant cousin years before as Donald looks at his family tree chart. He has recently been divorced from Barbara and estranged from Alan, plus the niggling doubt about whether he killed Shane Wilson 4 years previous has turned the cheerful but strict 20 something teacher in 1966 to a fearsome serious deputy head who is quite unliked. I wanted to bring in the 14 year old Alison Patterson and Travis Nash into the show as well as Donna Bishop, who is Alison's best friend and they have a rivalry with Zoe Braxton, yes, she has been transferred from Mangrove River to Summer Bay and causes so much mayhem she is transferred back to finish off her education.

I have even refreshed my memory of the H&A backhistory so I dont have Carly Morris in the story as she was not in Summer Bay in 1985 nor was Bobby or Frank even though Bobby had connections with Summer Bay. Bevan Lee or Dan Bennett, I hope you see this and get inspiration for a prequel lol.

INT, DEPUTY HEAD'S OFFICE, SUMMER BAY HIGH, 13 FEBRUARY 1985.

Donald Fisher is sat tutting away at the birthday cards he has recieved, thinking what is the fuss over his 40th. He gets a knock at the door.

DONALD Come in.

ALF Hi Donald, just came to wish you happy 40th.

DONALD (Snarls) People act as if I am 100 and have got a telegram. You will be 40 in July as well, I bet you will love all the fuss.

ALF Heard anything from Barbara lately?

DONALD No. And I dont think I will. We have separated. I may even divorce her, I will no longer be your brother in law.

ALF Don I used to like you, years ago, that cheerful young man 20 years ago, now you are just a miserable morose man who is 40 going on 80.

DONALD Close the door on your way out.

ALF If you were not my brother in law I would...

DONALD Oh yes, the Stewart way, violence. Solve issues through a bit of fisticuffs.

ALF Happy birthday you mongrel.

Alf leaves. Donald gets out his family tree chart, written by his cousin James Newark from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England in August 1966 when Don went to see him. Don's grandad Edward Fisher is on the chart as well as his grandma Eleanor Hubbard Fisher nee Newark, parents George Newark and Freda nee Hubbard born in Great Yarmouth in 1864 and 1866 respectively.

DONALD (To himself) Never mind old Mother Hubbard, old Grandma Hubbard in A Cupboard. Great holiday that was, got ripped off by a fellow Aussie tourist.

Don puts the chart away and continues his paperwork.

INT, CORRIDOR, SUMMER BAY HIGH SCHOOL.

14 year olds Donna Bishop and Alison Patterson are nattering in the corridor. They make a jibe at a male pupil who walks past.

PUPIL Rack off you two.

Donna and Alison laugh.

ALISON I hear it is Flathead Fisher's 40th birthday today. I have a huge surprise for him when we have class with him this afternoon.

DONNA (Laughs) You'll get suspended and 100 detentions.

ALISON So. The sleazebag needs to be bought down a peg or ten. But it will be a surprise that he will never, ever forget.

To be continued..........

• 1 month later...

continued...

INT, SUMMER BAY HIGH CLASSROOM. THE FAMOUS INTERIOR BRICKWORK AND UPPER WINDOWS.

The girls are having a paper fight. Alison is on lookout. She runs into the room and says Fisher is coming. They all quickly pick up any bits of paper they can and sit down. They do this just in time for Don to arrive.

DON Paper all over the floor yet again (Sighs). If I see that again you will all get detention.

ALISON Certainly old man. (She laughs alongside Donna Bishop and Travis Nash).

DON Patterson, that ice you are skating on is getting thinner and thinner, you could see yourself with a detention.

ALISON Anyone turning 40 today?

DONNA Alison you rotter.

DON Sorry?

ALISON I hear it is your 40th birthday today Mr Fisher?

DON How did you know about that Patterson?

DONNA Oh word gets round, she said she overheard you saying to Alf Stewart last night in the general store that you are 40 tomorrow.

DON Yes, well, I am reasonable enough to let this one go but dont tell anyone outside this classroom. I do not want Summer Bay to have banners all over where we embarrass me, the local deputy head about my milestone birthday. Actually I wanted to teach you lot today about events that happened in the year I was born, the bombing of Hiroshima, signalling the end of the Second World War. Victory in England, meaning victory for Australia and other colonies still under British rule.

He starts to write something on the blackboard. he writes Enola Gay.

DON OK folks, what was Enola Gay?

ALISON (whispers to Donna) Am I gay does it read?

DON OK Patterson, enough, I could not hear what you said but you have earned yourself a detention.

ALISON I have something for you Donald today, in my satchel. A present for your 40th.

DON Not now, not ever.

ALISON No, this will surprise you.

She reaches into her bag and fiddles about, all of a sudden party poppers go off, splattering the classroom, Donald falls over in shock. Everyone laughs.

DON (Fuming) Right Patterson. (He grabs her by the scruff of her uniform neck and frogmarches her out of the classroom). Come with me now.

ALISON Get off Fisher. (Her laughter soon turns to fright, worrying Don may hit her).

DON Bertram's office now. NOW!!!! You have gone too far now Patterson.

INT, WALTER BERTRAM'S OFFICE.

Donald knocks on the door.

WALTER Come in.

DON Sir, Miss Patterson here has just let off some party poppers. You can clearly see a strip on my head.

WALTER Ok Don let her go. (Don lets her go).

ALISON It was a joke, for his birthday.

WALTER Right Miss Patterson, you are suspended for a week. You are lucky I do not expel you for this. Get your stuff out of your locker and do not return to school until the following Monday. And you shall expect several detentions when you return.

To be continued..................

Archived