Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

Could Alf and his sisters be distantly related to the Braxton family from Mangrove? Read on and find out....Also as this is set in 1966, back then Don sounded more Aussie and gained his posh accent as he got older.

EXT, GREAT YARMOUTH...

Don is actually laughing a bit, seeing the funny side.

BARBARA Nothing to laugh at Don.

DON Well it will be memorable for the future, we can look back.

A guilt ridden Shane returns the money.

SHANE I realised I could not go through with it, seeing as you two have been good to me since we met in London.

BARBARA Just walk away now Shane.

DON No dont be hasty Barbara, Shane is apologising. Bad thing you did Shane but I am fair enough to let it go this time but if you so much as nick a penny off me and I find out, I shall not hesitate to ring the police. You can still accompany us on this trip though.

SHANE I really am sorry Donald and Barbara. Really did not know what I was thinking when I took the money.

BARBARA Well we can always give you another chance but, what Donald said, remember.

SHANE Certainly.

Shane does have a feeling of general remorse on his face at stealing the money.

INT, SUMMER BAY HOUSE, BACK IN SUMMER BAY AUSTRALIA.

Alf and Gordon are sat at the table.

ALF Do you know who grandad Angus's parents were?

GORDON Sorry I never asked my dad, his parents died shortly before I was born. All I know if they are in an unmarked grave.

ALF Braxton being my maternal grans maiden name, I could be related to those mongrels at Mangrove.

GORDON Your mum and her mum were good people, just had a temper like you do. If you are related then you may have the Braxton way of dealing with enemies through a punch but no more than that. They get up to robberies and conning people. You are only young but your mums family were well respected in the community.

ALF I will check it out, see if we are distantly related. I may be a second cousin to Billy Braxton.

To be continued............

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

continued........

EXT, SUMMER BAY CEMETERY. THE FOLLOWING MORNING.

Alf Stewart looks at his mums parents grave, wipes some weathered dirt off it with a brush and sees his maternal grans mothers maiden name actually says Buxton not Braxton.

ALF Hogan's ghost, it is Buxton not Braxton.

He smiles and walks off.

INT, SUMMER BAY HOUSE, THE FOLLOWING DAY.

ALF No I am not related to the Braxton's. Grans maiden name on mums side was Buxton, and I have her birth certificate to say she was born in Melbourne. Totally different surname. I knew mum was born in Summer Bay but her parents were from Melbourne. I think they must have come from England before that.

GORDON Relieved?

ALF Well yeah. Not related to the Braxton's in the slightest.

GORDON Both my parents grandparents were Scottish immigrants.

ALF Play your kilt then (Laughs). Lets have a beer.

EXT, GREAT YARMOUTH SEAFRONT, NIGHT TIME.

As England is 11 or 12 hours behind Australia, it is evening again in UK and a day has passed since Don and Barbara forgave Shane. Mid to late August 1966.

DON (Examining the stars) Love the constellation at night.

SHANE Being a teacher you must have the knowledge of Einstein.

DON Now now lets not go that far. Actually at school I was quite chatty and cheeky until my dad gave me a huge hit with his garden hoe 3 times when I was 14 after another bad report from the teachers about me being cheeky and loud in class. I soon mended my ways after that. I spent a day sore in bed with a bad behind after dad beat some sense into me.

To be continued......

• 3 months later...

Yes, I thought a mention of them was good but a possible connection would have readers on tenterhooks and then Alf find he is not related at all to them.

Continued from last scene...

SHANE Shows how you can turn your life around.

DON One pupil of mine, well was, he left school 2 years ago, Tim Patterson, he was a delinquent right up to when he left school. Whereas his younger brother Ralph is good as good.

SHANE Where is Summer Bay in Australia?

DON Well north of Sydney, 5 miles north of Palm Beach and Barranjoey. As said I am not from there but have lived there for 3 years. Graduated from uni in 1963 aged 18 but trained as a student teacher there. Although since leaving school that Tim Patterson has calmed down a bit.

SHANE I shall have to come and visit Summer Bay when I return to Australia. I live in Brisbane.

DON Dont annoy a resident called Alf Stewart, he blows his stack quite easy. He is my brother in law.

SHANE I shall blow my stack back then, no one blows their stack at me without good reason.

INT, HOTEL ROOM, OASIS HOTEL, GREAT YARMOUTH, THAT NIGHT.

Don and Barbara are asleep in the double bed. Shane is in a sleeping bag on the floor. He is awake. It is around midnight. He quietly gets up and feels around on the sideboard for Donald's wallet. He feels the huge wad of cash Don has and takes it, all £500 of it. He quietly puts his jeans and jacket on and quietly gets back into the sleeping bag. He plans to do a night time bunk.

A few hours later, it is about 4am. Shane wakes up and goes into the bathroom. He turns the light on and sees it is 4am. He then quietly turns the bathroom light off. Barbara stirs in bed but does not wake up. Shane quietly feels round in her suitcase for anything valuable. He comes across a brooch and a necklace. He puts them in his pocket and quietly leaves the hotel room. Don and Barbara carry on sleeping, unaware of what Shane has done.

INT, HOTEL ROOM, 3 HOURS LATER.

It is 7am and now daylight outside. Barbara wakes up and pulls the curtains open. She is smiling at the sunshine. Barbara turns round and sees Shane's sleeping bag on the floor, scrunched up.

BARBARA (To herself quietly) Must be in the bathroom.

To be continued..............

• 3 weeks later...

continued.......

Barbara sees that Donald's wallet is wide open and she goes to the bathroom and finds no one in there. She wakes Don up.

BARBARA Don, wake up.

DON Where's the fire, calm down love?

BARBARA But Don, this is urgent, your wallet looks like it has been tampered with and, oh no my suitcase is open.

She feels in the suitcase and finds her small jewellery box with her brooch and necklace is not there.

DON Oh no, that Shane again, I shall blow my stack if it is him and I catch up with him.

BARBARA But he could be anywhere by now, seems he sneaked out during the night. Don, your £500 is gone.

DON Oh bloody hell I do not believe this, how are we going to survive for the next few weeks we are here? I knew Shane was not to be trusted. I will kill him if I get hold of him.

BARBARA I am going to reception, to get them to call the police. He has taken my jewellery, the brooch was given to me by Grandma Stewart.

Don kicks the wardrobe in anger. He is sure blowing his stack.

5 MINUTES LATER.

BARBARA (rushes back into room) Right I have gone to reception and they have called the police.

DON Good, we may have to cut the holiday short Barbara.

BARBARA Why?

DON We have no money, all our money is gone.

BARBRA But Don we will have to pay for an early flight back to Australia.

DON We are insured. I think the insurance company will pay for the flights. It is our only option. Unless we have some shillings to pay to call Alf.

BARBARA What will he do?

DON He may send us some money, telegram it to us. Our return flight to Australia is not for another 3 weeks.

BARBARA But Don, Alf is not made of money.

DON My sister Mary may have some.

BARBARA Where is she now?

DON At a university in Perth. She is romancing a Peter Croft. She may have some she can send to us.

To be continued..........

Archived