Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXT, SUMMER BAY HOUSE, NIGHT TIME, 20 AUGUST 1966, THE SAME TIME AS LAST SCENE OF FISHER IN ENGLAND IN THE MORNING.

ALF Now listen here Martha, Billy Braxton is a nasty man. Ever since his family moved to Mangrove they have been nothing but trouble. His 7 year old tearaway son Danny Braxton is a handful as is Dwayne Braxton, and he is not yet 6.

MARTHA Billy just wanted to sell me some of his beer on his stall at Yabbie Creek.

ALF Probably knocked off the back of a flamin lorry and he is probably an unlicensed trader. Listen Martha I am just trying to look out for you.

MARTHA I know Alf, I know. I wonder how your sister and Don are doing in England?

ALF It will be morning over there now. He should be in London maybe still, ready to go to Norfolk.

EXT, GREAT YARMOUTH RUNHAM VAUXHALL TRAIN STATION, YARMOUTH NORFOLK, ENGLAND, AFTERNOON.

Don, Barbara and Shane are walking away from the entrance to the train station. They are walking towards a small bridge that resembles Sydney Harbour Bridge, just a much smaller version.

DON Well we are here in Great Yarmouth. My ancestral home. Just makes me more proud to be Australian.

A passer by overhears.

PASSER BY Go back to Australia then you Aussie.

DON I shall not rise to it.

SHANE Where is our hotel?

DON Oasis Hotel, on the seafront.

BARBARA Who is this relative again Don?

DON A distant cousin. Through my maternal gran.

SHANE I think many of mine were convicts.

DON Well we are lucky as many Summer Bay residents are descended from free settlers esp the Fisher's and Stewarts but then again I am from Sydney originally. Grew up in poverty in inner city Sydney as dad was an alcoholic. I was the eldest so had to help bring up Clive and Mary as mum worked all hours god sent then she went on an acting course. Anyway lets go to the hotel.

To be continued..................

• 1 month later...

EXT, GREAT YARMOUTH MARINE PARADE SEAFRONT, OUTSIDE OASIS HOTEL

Don, Barbara and Shane arrive outside the Oasis Hotel, it has a huge tower with an observation deck at the top.

INT, RECEPTION AREA, CHECK IN DESK.

DON Donald and Barbara Fisher, I booked a few weeks ago, were are from Australia.

He shows her the booking forms.

DON And can we have a guest stay with us?

RECEPTIONIST As long as he pays for the room. How long are you staying?

DON 2 weeks but only booked 4 nights here as I am staying with a distant English cousin. I knew the prices when I booked with the travel agent, he would have rung you lot.

RECEPTIONIST Ok.

Don gets some money out and pays the receptionist but he notices he is £100 short.

DON Funny, I thought I had £500 on me, I must only have £400 then. Anyway here is your £100 for the 4 days for me and Barbara.

SHANE How much for me to stay with them?

RECEPTIONIST £20 a night.

SHANE Right.

He hands £100 to the receptionist from a huge wad of cash.

RECEPTIONIST You will be staying in Room 402, it is on the 7th floor as the first 3 floors are the function rooms and car park areas.

SHANE I am just going to go for a quick walk to the Marina opposite, I like boats.

Shane exits.

BARBARA I was a bit harsh on Shane when we met him in London, he seems a genuine guy.

DON Say no more about it. He is an Australian like us, straight as a die.

RECEPTIONIST More Aussies visiting English relatives.

DON If your great grandad was a villain you could have been one of us. (Laughs)

The receptionist does not gets Don's humour.

EXT, MARINA, OPPOSITE OASIS HOTEL

Shane smiles in glee at the £100 he has taken off Don, he also produces another wad of cash, several hundred pounds.

SHANE (To himself) Fleecing people, a great game.

To be continued....

• 1 month later...

continued.......

EXT, SUMMER BAY CEMETERY, DAYTIME.

Alf is stood with his father Gordon at Gordon's parents grave.

ALF Grandad Angus would have been 82 if still alive.

GORDON Yes, 1884 he was born, in Scotland.

ALF Can I ask what part?

GORDON Highlands.

ALF That narrows it down then (sarcastically)

GORDON Somewhere in the north west highlands. They emigrated to sunny Summer Bay in 1886 when Angus was 2. Angus met my mum who was born here but of Scottish parentage. Many of Summer Bay residents are of Scottish heritage as well as English and Irish.

ALF Mum has a very common maiden surname Smith.

GORDON Sarah Jane Smith. Her parents are buried over there.

Alf and Gordon go to the grave of Alf's maternal grandparents which say "Leonard and Jane Smith (Nee Braxton)".

ALF Strike me roan, grans maiden name was Braxton.

EXT, GREAT YARMOUTH SEAFRONT, GT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK, ENGLAND 10'000 MILES AWAY.

Donald, Barbara and Shane are strolling along the seafront.

DONALD Nice day, almost as good as the weather down under.

BARBARA You meeting your cousin in a minute?

DONALD Yes, at the front of Britannia Pier.

SHANE Fair dinkum, the weather is probably as good as Australia.

Shane produces a wad of cash, but Donald recognises a crumpled £10 note which he had.

DONALD Hang on, I had a note like that, it was £10 and was crumpled.

SHANE Oh these coincidences.

DONALD And £100 was missing from my stash.

SHANE I was just borrowing it. (To distract Don) Oh look, see that man over there......

Shane quickly runs off, Don and Barbara fall for Shane's trick but quickly turn around and Don give chase. Don chases him towards the promenade, as Shane runs along the promenade he jumps up in the air as if to jump off onto the sand, and Don does but Shane quickly lands back on the promenade while Don falls down the 2 feet off the promenade wall to the sand and Shane runs away.

To be continued..........

Archived