Donald Fisher, The Prequel.

Homeandawayfan.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXT, NIGHT SKY, QANTAS AIRLINER, SEVERAL HOUSR LATER

We see a shot of the plane flying through the sky over the Indian Ocean having just flown over the coast of Western Australia.

INT, QANTAS AIRLINES PLANE.

Don and Barbara are sitting drinking. Don is smoking a cigarette.

DON Well here we are. I am so excited.

BARBARA Donald, you have stated this many times now.

DON Dont be such a boring person. I am excited.

BARBARA I know but it is the way you express it.

DON I had to explain to one of the Summer Bay students what a killjoy is. (gives her a look) I should have said "My Wife" to them.

BARBARA When are you going to give up smoking Donald?

DON Perhaps when we return to Australia.

Donald looks out of the window, he can see the lights of the plane's left wing.

DON Pitch black out there. All I can see is a silhouette of the horizon of the ocean where it meets the sky.

BARBARA I am going to have a nap, give me a nudge when dinner arrives.

DON Can I get drunk in the meantime (smiles).

EXT, GATWICK AIRPORT, SUSSEX, SOUTH OF LONDON, 2 DAYS LATER.

The plane touches down on the runway.

INT, ARRIVALS LOUNGE, 1 HOUR LATER.

Don and Barbara Fisher come out of one of the passageways into the arrivals lounge. Don is pushing a luggage trolley. He is wearing a backpack, binoculars and sunglasses.

DON I cannot believe it. We are here in England.

BARBARA I am as excited as you are now Don.

DON Almost 3 days it has taken to get here from Australia.

INT, SUMMER BAY HIGH, 12000 MILES AWAY BACK IN SUMMER BAY, NSW, AUSTRALIA.

Max is stood in the hallway skiving off, hidden in one of the small cloakrooms near one of the school hallways. Walter Bertram sees him as he is walking past.

WALTER Come on Sullivan, get off to class. Fisher has asked me to keep a close eye on you.

MAX School is pointless. I leave next year.

WALTER You may be expelled if you carry on at this rate, taking time off, bullying other students, drawing in class, half asleep all the time. Drop the attitude.

MAX Sorry sir (he smiles sarcasticaly then walks off).

To be continued....

• 2 months later...

When I finish this fanfic I am thinking of doing one about Don in November 1985, 2 years before the show began. Perhaps surrouding 40 year old Don and Barbara and Alan and Rebecca. Be good to explore Don and some of the other residents a couple of years before Jan 1988.

EXT, LONDON SKYLINE, AUGUST 1966.

We get a panoramic view of the London skyline.

EXT, TOWER BRIDGE.

Don and Barbara Fisher are looking very sheepish and tired after 3 days travelling. They have their luggae with them.

DON Well we may both be tired but are here in London or as they say in the East End, me old china.

BARBARA Don you are an Aussie. Stop using those meaningless Cockney phrases. I can never get them.

DON Well my great grandad was from the East End of London. Many British Australians will have ancestors from London. My grandad taught me, Clive and Mary the phrases when we were young as he learned from his English father. Anyway enough of the history lesson, I am very tired, lets go to the hotel.

BARBARA You are a right charmer Donald Fisher.

DON Well I have 2 months away from handing out detentions.

EXT, BUSY STREET, LONDON CITY, 30 MINUTES LATER.

Don and Barbara stop outside a 5 storey Victoria building.

DON Our hotel, here we are.

BARBARA It looks stunning. I hope the beds are comfortable.

DON Should be. Lets go and check in.

INT, HOTEL ROOM, A FEW MINUTES LATER.

Don and Barbara arrive in their hotel room. It is quite spacious.

DON Yes this will do. Lovely room.

BARBARA Pity we are only staying a few days before we go up to Great Yarmouth.

DON 15th of this month we get the train from Liverpool Street.

BARBARA Cannot believe we are here in England at last.

To be continued........

• 3 weeks later...

EXT, SUMMER BAY HIGH SCHOOL, BACK IN AUSTRALIA. 13 AUGUST 1966.

Local school thug Max Sullivan gets a taste of his own medicine. Max is stood behind a school classroom block with a so called crony of his, Berty Baldivis.

MAX So Berty when will Fraser and Dawson be here?

BERTY Soon, I told them that if they dont start giving us a buck of their pocket money every week they will get a severe thrashing when we follow them home.

MAX We will be rolling in cash soon. Then we can extort it off other gullible pupils.

BERTY What with Fisher being away.

MAX I hope he loves England so much he emigrates there and stays there.

BERTY Although better the devil you know.

Fraser and Dawson arrive.

MAX Right you two, listen to me very carefully. You are to give me and Berty, each, I say each a buck of your pocket money for tuck shop every week. If not we will follow you home tonight and you will be spending a week in Summer Bay General. Do as I say and you will not have a scratch on your body.

DAWSON Right Max.

MAX So then, give me a dollar each of you.

Dawson gets his dollar out of his pocket and walks over to Max. Max smiles but is suddenly winded by Dawson by being punched in the stomach. Baldivis and Fraser also join in and give Max a much overdue kick in then run off, leaving Max alone, bleeding and panting although not seriously hurt, just grazed and a black eye.

EXT, LONDON, ENGLAND, PARLIAMENT SQUARE, WESTMINSTER, AUGUST 1966.

Donald and Barbara are exploring the sights of London. They are being accompanied by a fellow Aussie tourist.

DONALD Good to have another Australian visiting England.

SHANE Yes, if our ancestors hadn't been villains we could have been Brits.

DONALD True, but many of the people who went to Australia were free settlers.

SHANE I am just going to walk over there and take a photo of the Houses of Parliament.

Shane walks across the road towards Big Ben.

BARBARA Now he has gone for a minute, why do we have to have him with us Donald?

DONALD Shane is harmless, Barbara, you need to enjoy the trip and be more welcoming.

BARBARA OK then but why does he have to come to Great Yarmouth with us.

DONALD He wont be staying in our B&B room, he will stay in another room or even another guesthouse. Anyway I organised and paid for this trip so I call the shots if that is alright by you, or I can go to one of those travel agents I saw on Oxford Street and book you, and you alone, an early flight back to Australia.

BARBARA Fair enough. I suppose Shane is cheerful like you are.

DONALD Well then. Enjoy.

To be continued....................

• 4 weeks later...

This fanfic also is a way of using my imagination with certain characters such as who is related to whom etc, stuff not confirmed in the serial. Also towards the end of the fanfic which is a while away yet Don and Babs return to London for a few days so we still have more set in London. But their holiday soon becomes the holiday from hell, so keep reading and enjoy.

continued....

EXT, SUMMER BAY, GENERAL STORE. AUGUST 1966.

Mervin Baldivis, local councillor and shop owner is serving behind the counter. His daughter Martha Baldivis and Alf Stewart come in.

MERVIN Hello you two.

MARTHA Morning dad. Where is mum today?

MERVIN Down Yabbie Creek hospital with your younger brother Bertie.

MARTHA What?

MERVIN He was beaten up at school.

MARTHA How is he? Is he bad?

ALF Flaming mongrel deserved it, he is a menace and a proper playground bully.

MARTHA Alf.

MERVIN He is right, Bertie is my son but he is too nasty and it worries me. He could end up in jail. Actually Bertie just has a few bruises and cuts. He is just having them checked over at the hospital.

MARTHA Thanks god.

ALF Yeah well, these flamin galahs deserve it. Also my brother in law Donald Fisher said he used to be like that a bit at school in the city and now he is a teacher. I find that a bit rich. Now he is sunning it up 12000 miles away in London.

MERVIN Many people go through rebellious stages, even some policemen were rascals as kids. Also England has some sun but not much. My father was Mexican and he would never have dreamt of emigrating to England. He chose Australia.

EXT, NIGHT TIME, LEICESTER SQUARE, LONDON, ENGLAND.

We see panoramic shots of 1966 London at night time at about 9pm. We then see a night time shot of Shaftesbury Avenue, London at night, the road is busy with taxis and cars and buses and the buildings are alight with bars, clubs, pubs and shops. Don, Barbara and Shane are walking down Shaftesbury Ave near Leicester Square.

SHANE That was a lovely steak, off to the toilet.

DONALD OK.

BARBRA (To Don) Still not keen on Shane.

DON We go to Great Yarmouth tomorrow afternoon. I may invite Shane.

BARBARA Oh no. Dont Donald.

DON Our tickets are all paid for, all Shane has to do is pay his ticket. He is a fellow Aussie. And that threat of me going to that Oxford Street travel agent is still open, tomorrow I could be going to Yarmouth, you could be going to Gatwick en route 12000 miles back to Summer Bay, Sydney, Australia if you dont, in the words of your brother, stop flamin moaning.

Barbara laughs at Don's joke.

EXT, MORNING, THE FOLLOWING MORNING, LIVERPOOL STREET STATION, 20 AUGUST 1966.

Don, Barbara and Shane are stood inside the huge cavernous interior of the train station ready to get the train from London to Norwich then on to Great Yarmouth. Don and Babs nick off to the toilet, leaving Shane with their luggage. Shane quietly peeks inside Don's backpack and noticed a huge wad of English money, £400. He takes £100 and smiles in glee.

To be continued.........

Archived