Homeandawayfan.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Continued.....

INT, WALTER BERTRAM'S OFFICE.

Donald is talking with him.

WALTER Donald you are a new teacher and a very young one. I am over twice your age and know what is what.

DONALD Ah yes but there are young people like myself who have a voice as well. All I am saying is this young pupil is getting bullied by 3 others who should know better.

WALTER Ok Donald I shall see what I can do but I shall handle it my way though.

DONALD Right. Anyway the school term is almost over and I look forward to the mid year break. I have found my first year of teaching quite good. I am seeing young Barbara Stewart much to the opposition of her father Gordon. She is just coming up to 18 though.

WALTER Donald enough of your private life stories thanks.

DONALD Fine I shall talk to someone who is interested. Namely Alf Stewart.

Donald leaves the office.

EXT, BEACH, SUMMER BAY. THAT LATE AFTERNOON.

Donald is jogging on the beach. He jogs past Alf and Alf calls him over.

ALF Hey Donald.

DONALD Hello Alf.

ALF I have sat here all afternoon and not caught a flamin' fish at all.

DONALD What is new.

ALF Hey, you are quite new to this town so belt up Don (Laughs).

DONALD Yes, I have lived here for almost a year since I came here to teach. Much quieter than the city. I grew up in the Kings Cross area of Sydney.

ALF Ooh a far cry from Summer Bay.

DONALD Certainly is. I am just out having my afternoon jog before I go home for tea. Fancy a beer later?

ALF Yeah, you know me.

DONALD Meet me at 8 in the pub then. See you.

Donald jogs off down the beach.

• 1 month later...

INT, ONE WEEK LATER, AFTER LAST LESSON.

Donald is packing up ready to go home. James Smith walks in.

DONALD Hello Smith. How are things?

SMITH Those 3 lads have backed off now. WHat did you say?

DONALD Lets just say I had a word with Bertram. I shall come down hard on them if they start anything again with you or anyone else.

SMITH Thanks Donald.

Smith exits. Walter Bertram walks in.

BERTRAM Donald, remember you said to me your dads mothers family came from Norfolk in England?

DONALD Yes, what about it?

BERTRAM What part of Norfolk did they come from?

DONALD Err, Great Yarmouth, a town on the east Norfolk coast. The Newark family came to Australia in 1882. Shows that not all my kinfolk were convicts. Why dio you ask?

BERTRAM Just curious as I went to Norfolk once when I visited England.

DONALD What was you saying earlier about me boring you with history lessons Bertram?

BERTRAM Its Mr Bertram to you. You are a right cheeky man arent you Donald Vernon Fisher?

DONALD Shhh, dont tell anyone Vernon is my middle name. Not even Alf Stewart and Barbara.

To be continued...........

• 1 month later...

continued....

A FEW MONTHS LATER, CHRISTMAS 1964. BEACH, SUMMER BAY.

Donald is jogging with Barbara Stewart along the beach. Don has grown his hair round the back of his head a bit longer down to his shoulders, whereas the hair on the top is still quite thick and wavy. They see Alf fishing.

DON Hello Alf. Caught anything yet?

ALF First time for everything Donald.

DON Yes well it is a lovely day and Christmas is in a few days. Ready for the beach party?

ALF Yes ready as ever. How are things at school?

DON Fine thanks. I have enjoyed my first year of teaching.

ALF Some of the pupils seem to dislike your tough ways.

BARBARA He has to wield the big stick. I am having to redo my last year at school so it is good that we have a teacher who is tough on them. I hope to leave school next year with my head held high.

DON Yes you need someone who needs to show them who is boss.

ALF I suppose the wedding will be on for you two then. My sister marrying a schooteacher.

BARBARA Alf if you still have any objections.

ALF (cuts in) No, I am happy for you both. I was sceptical at first but dont mind now.

DON Come on Barbara lets keep fit. Tell me Alf when you will catch a fish.

ALF Don you are not funny?

DON Strict and terse at school but outside I am very humourous. Come on Barbara.

Don and Barbara jog off down the beach.

Archived