Donald Fisher - Norman Coburn

I don't think it was resolved even in 2001. I always got the sense that he still loved Marilyn (he even said so to her in 01, when she told him she didn't 'because it hurts'). His companionship with June, felt like just that - companionship, it wasn't anywhere near the same Imo as the spark and love he showed Marilyn. I'd say his attachment to Judith was probably the most similar.

Edited by alexx

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know how Don makes his money now but he must be getting a good pension from his headmaster days as well as a state pension. He may have met someone else in the almost 6 years he has been away as hardly anything has been mentioned of him since his latest departure.

Norman Coburn still does some theatre on occasions so is semi retired. I think he is married so lives with his wife. Don could come back and bang the Braxtons heads together.

Edited by Homeandawayfan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been reading up on the year 2000 (awesome year) and am I right in thinking that Don wrote a poem about Judith Ackroyd? Was he romantically attracted to her? I might be mixed up though - I may be thinking of the time when he recieved a letter from Marilyn in 2001? I'm so confused :blush: Anyway, I always thought it was a nice character trait for him to be into poetry and literature - it really helped shape the character and allowed the auidence to learn about his personality. I miss that.

Can anyone help?

We did hear him recite a poem (a voiceover) when she left, which did appear to be written specially for the show - I posted it in that thread from a while back.

We also saw him daydream an alternate reality a couple of episodes earlier, when instead of leaving she decided to stay and marry Donald in a small ceremony on the lake where Sally and Flynn married. We saw them celebrate their first wedding anniversary, but soon afterwards things became frayed when Judith wanted to start a family but Donald felt he was too old. The sequence ended with Donald returning home to an empty house with a letter from Judith on the table, before he came back down to earth and we realised he'd imagined the whole thing.

It was a shame for Don because Judith did show signs that she was interested in him too, but I think he got those signals mixed up because she was more evidently attracted to Joel and Don just seemed to respect her enough not to interfere so kept his true feelings to himself.

I distinctly remember the scene at the end of an episode where Judith had casually arranged to meet Don in the Diner, it was a very casual arrangement as far as I can remember. Anyway, Joel rocks up at Judith's place and they decide to hang out (perhaps there was a kiss?) - meanwhile, Don is seen sat in the diner waiting... and waiting, fade to black and roll the credits.

It was one of those old school poignant endings they used to have. But it pretty much summed up that whole scenario between the three characters.

Edited by alexx
  • Like 1