Donald Fisher - Norman Coburn

• 2 months later...

Does anyone think there is any chance of Fisher returning to H&A this year for the 25th anniversary?

I don't want to sound negative but I get the feeling that Norman doesn't agree with how H&A is run these days. I mean, can you really imagine Don Fisher fitting into the show now? I think it would be disastrous - he just wouldn't fit in. I really think it'll be a shame if TPTB don't have a massive storyline lined up to celebrate 25 years. Bevan Lee did for the 20th...

Does anyone think there is any chance of Fisher returning to H&A this year for the 25th anniversary?

I don't want to sound negative but I get the feeling that Norman doesn't agree with how H&A is run these days. I mean, can you really imagine Don Fisher fitting into the show now? I think it would be disastrous - he just wouldn't fit in. I really think it'll be a shame if TPTB don't have a massive storyline lined up to celebrate 25 years. Bevan Lee did for the 20th...

What makes you so sure of that?.

They probably haven't even asked him to return, and he probably wouldn't be up to returning as he's over 70 and now lives in Hobart, and not Sydney where its filmed.

I'm not sure at all. I'm just making an assumption. I just thought that after his 2007 stint (where the writers destroyed the character) he may have been a little offended and decided not to return again.

He's actually 76 so yeah I'm sure at his age he may not be up to working anymore. It'd be nice if he came back though but I just don't see him fitting in now.

Norman will be 76 in March, Don being 8 years younger. I dont think Flathead would fit in now with all the youngsters dominating the show, and he is probably happy living in the Whitsundays with June and goin travelling away from the dangers of Sumemr Bay lol. Alf is a glorified extra so I dont think Don would do much apart from maybe have a yarn with Alf about the old days. The days of Flathead being the Summer Bay High uncouth Principal turned nicer Principal are long gone.

• Like 1

Norman will be 76 in March, Don being 8 years younger. I dont think Flathead would fit in now with all the youngsters dominating the show, and he is probably happy living in the Whitsundays with June and goin travelling away from the dangers of Sumemr Bay lol. Alf is a glorified extra so I dont think Don would do much apart from maybe have a yarn with Alf about the old days. The days of Flathead being the Summer Bay High uncouth Principal turned nicer Principal are long gone.

I thought Don split up with June as he mentioned it when he returned in 2007. He was on the verge of bankruptcy on his return, and he wanted to see Marilyn in London because she had breast cancer at around the same time during his return in 2007.

^Yes, he isn't with June anymore. His last stint made it obvious that he still holds very strong feelings for Marilyn, which makes it all the more out of character for him not to return to the bay.

There is always a place for past characters - it's up the the writers/producers to integrate them back into the current format. Whether they can do it well or not is another matter, but almost any past character can be brought back into a show like Home and Away. The success depends on whether or not the writers/producers know who the characters are and how to write for them.

For example, I could easily see every single storyline that happened between Maz and Fisher, happen in the current show - but it's a matter of priorities and whether or not those in charge are familiar with the couple and how and why they were loved (by most of the audience).

Edited by alexx
  • Like 1

I completely forgot about Mairlyn/Fisher. It would be lovely to see them onscreen together again - they had such a natural chemistry. I think they still have a lot of issues to work through and I hope we see them resolved one day. I'm pretty sure they've asked him though (probably when Maz returned in 2010.)

I haven't heard anything about Norman Coburn being asked to return and refusing, not that I can remember anyway.I think it's putting words into his mouth to say that he hates the current show (whether that means in 2007 or 2013)but it does sound as if he's completely or semi-retired so probably wouldn't come back permanently.However, a guest stint like they're doing with Celia at the moment could work.I don't think you could turn back time and make him principal again and I'm not sure a reunion with Marilyn would work either although I'm sure their fans would disagree:I think everything was resolved in 2001 which makes the mentions of her in 2007 all the more strange.Maybe if Emily decides to leave again they could bring Donald back for Marilyn?He's got a link to Alf, Marilyn and Irene and he was Roo's uncle at one point so I think there's plenty of opportunity to bring him back if both those involved in the show and Norman desired it.

I am not sure they should have had them split up so soon after they wed but then again the problems they had would be enough to test any marriage, Byron being ill and that was after Marilyn's post natal depression.

Marilyn likes older men though, her recent interest in John shows that. Her and Don did make a good couple age gap aside as they knew each other for years before and he used to be her headmaster.