When do the Early Years finish?

Ryan

I'd say mid 94. A lot of people say 94 is somewhat dull, but, it finished off the early years, it let characters like Irene come into their own and settle in, it let Shane and Angel grow as a couple and introduced Curtis, Shannon etc..

Its 94 that finished off the Bobby Simpson era, and kickstarted the 95 and 96 eras which were a new era, with more dramatic stories, and would remain as such until Sally's 2008 exit. 2009 - present is the "we've lost the plot" era.

I think there was a bit of losing the plot in 2006 too.

I'd say mid 94. A lot of people say 94 is somewhat dull, but, it finished off the early years, it let characters like Irene come into their own and settle in, it let Shane and Angel grow as a couple and introduced Curtis, Shannon etc..

Its 94 that finished off the Bobby Simpson era, and kickstarted the 95 and 96 eras which were a new era, with more dramatic stories, and would remain as such until Sally's 2008 exit. 2009 - present is the "we've lost the plot" era.

Haha I pretty much just said that in your 'Welcome' post. I'd agree with you now, I always see Bobby's death as a sign that the Early Years is coming to a close - and then when the piano based underscores start to disappear some time in 94/95 the early years have well and truly gone.

I think 'we've lost the plot' really came in 2005 and continued until now. I'm not saying 2005 was awful, it was actually quite addictive for me, especially 2005 - but those years (05-06) damaged the 'flow' overall, no other producer (other than Bevan) have been able to recapture that Summer Bay atmosphere Imo.

Edited by alexx

• 3 years later...

I think the new 'Early Years' represents the show up until the year 2000 for me. But then there's also that period between 2001-2004 where it still felt like H&A before it totally changed format in 2005.

Edited by alexx
  • Like 1

I agree - 2000 is definitely the end of "early years" Home and Away:

• Two long-serving characters departed the show: Ailsa, an original character, and Sam, who had been around for 9 of the 12 years.
  • A number of "classic" characters also departed in late 1999 and 2000 such as Mariyln, Rebecca, Travis and Chloe.
  • The loss of two long-standing sets: the original Diner and the Stewart house.
  • The arrival of the Sutherlands. While 2000 was sort of their "ease them in" period, 2001-2004 was basically "the Sutherland show", so at times, it felt like an entirely different show, especially when coupled with the other points I made.

A number of other characters departed in 2000/early 2001 (the Nashes, Peta, Edward, Judith, Ken, Harry, Mitch) but I don't count their exits as "the end of the era" like I do with those mentioned above as they aren't iconic to most fans, nor were they long-serving.

It will be interesting to see when/if the 7two repeats ever lose the "Early Years" tag, but for me, it would come in the final episode of 2000.

Edited by adam436

I would not say 2000 was the end of the old H&A, it was just H&A moving forward and evolving. As for the Bayside Diner, well the Diner did not appear during most of the first season so was not even an original building. I think the show probably was a bit stale by 2000 so it went through a much needed revamp. 1995-1997 was the Golden Era whereas 1998-1999 was quite stale in comparison so 2000 was when the show revved itself up again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I tend to think that the early years/classics, slowly ends in 1998-2000, 2011 to present is not Home and Away, same with the whole Braxton era, it was too much Drama and not in a good way, but, don't get me wrong I liked the Braxton's in ways, but feel that they should have stayed for a year or so, to cause trouble then leave, and leave their Girlfriends behind. 

Edited by David Deex

Having watched more seasons of the early years now, I would divide the show up into the following. Later on some of the years have much shorter eras IMO:

1988-1990 - The Early Years

1990-1993 - The Early Years 2 

1994-1997(?) - The 2nd Golden Era (after the Early Years)

1998-1999 - The Tail End of the mid 90s Era

2000-2004 - The Sutherland Era

2005-2007 - The OTT Years

2008 - The Third Golden Era

2009 - The Year Long Mystery OTT Era

2010 - The Mundane Love Era

2011-2016 - The Braxton Era

2016 onwards - The Morgan Era