1990 Episode Discussion

Guest Ryan

Just wait until Grant's hair gets a little bit longer and him and Ailsa have exactly the same hairstyle

I've noticed this too. :lol:

The show does need more Ailsa and Grant though.

If Grant's hair gets any longer, he'll look like Henry from Neighbours again!!!

I never realised this until the other day, Grant and Henry have the same last name, Mitchell.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the ending to 624 was beautiful and allows me to place the episode from which the flashback used 2700 episodes later came from.

That said I think that since the wedding the show has been pretty weak.

It was very impressively shot. I also liked the end of episode 625 and the music used, it was like Celia's theme but a happy version.

The early years has a weird vibe around it at the moment. My opinion has changed of a lot of characters.

Blake & Sophie make a great pairing, they have become two of my favourites, I am a shipper :wub: Also, Blake and Karen are a wonderful pair, it was so sweet when Blake felt bad for going out with Sophie when Karen wanted to go to the movies! But most of all, Marilyn has pretty much become the star of the show at this moment in time.

A lot of characters have become weak and characters who I never thought I'd dislike I have become bored of. I have no time for Ailsa at the moment, the character just seems to be doing lip service and the advice she's been giving the teens has been, quite frankly, crap. Pippa is also a funny one. I don't know if it's still a transitional phase but at the moment I very much feel like I'm watching acting when I see Debra's Pippa.

Blake/Karen/Sophie/Marilyn/Alf are holding the show together at the moment. It's funny because looking back, you see why characters such as Alf, Marilyn, Donald, Sally etc became such iconic and long-term roles.

Regarding Adam and Marilyn's first kiss at the end of episode 625 - a different take of this scene was used in the recap of 626. Instead of saying "How dare you?" Marilyn simply says "Don't!" and then the way she says "I'm sorry I didn't mean to hit you" is completely different too. I know they sometimes shoot scenes a few times or from different angles but it is strange they did not use the same final cut in the following episode's recap. Has this happened at any other time?

I'm pretty sure I remember that happening once before early in the run, but I can't for the life of me remember when it was. It is rather strange, I guess the editing system wasn't quite as organised with regards to final cuts... or for some reason the alternate takes flowed better into the new episode....

I miss Vanessa's Pippa as I felt she had a bigger warmth to her, whereas with Debra's Pippa I haven't felt that yet and when she gets angry she looks so scary at times.

Ailsa seems like how Irene/Leah are on the show now, in that they very rarely get their own storyline and are just there to help people with their storylines. But I think we need characters like that.

Steve's character is getting stale.

Stone is a much welcome addition! Not sure how long he lasts but I can already tell I'm going to enjoy him! Spicing things up after a very dull period.

Ah yes, that dreaded Alan Stone!!! I remember him when these episodes first aired....thus he must've been a stand-out character!!!!

I also remember wanting to be in Steven's shoes back in '90, as I was his age at the time....firstly because he was with Viv (whom I used to fancy), then Karen had a crush on him (fancied her too) and for other reasons which will become apparent in the near future :)

Going against the grain (as I usually seem to :P ), I have read the recent comments about how supposedly boring things are in the Bay at the moment and I must admit I totally disagree. Early 1990, post-Marty/Lance/Celia/Tom/Viv before the wedding was the most boring viewing I've seen of TEY thus far and I nearly tuned out altogether. It's only when Flathead started to take an interest in Original Pip that the momentum gained.

Sure, it was a transitional period but quite simply, compared to now, that period sucked :angry:

I find it interesting that many forum members disliked components of 1989, such as the Danny Price storyline and Rory, the shark and Zack. From my observations, these were stories that pepped up the post-Frank & Roo late '89 period and saved it from becoming as boring as watching the news. Which was more than I can say about the 540's-580's period!!!

***Yawn*** If things are allegedly this boring, then why don't we skip ahead five years and see the return of Dodge!!! Then another two after that Vinnie will appear!!! The future is rosy, if we get that far!!!

The early years has a weird vibe around it at the moment. My opinion has changed of a lot of characters.

Blake & Sophie make a great pairing, they have become two of my favourites, I am a shipper :wub: Also, Blake and Karen are a wonderful pair, it was so sweet when Blake felt bad for going out with Sophie when Karen wanted to go to the movies! But most of all, Marilyn has pretty much become the star of the show at this moment in time.

A lot of characters have become weak and characters who I never thought I'd dislike I have become bored of. I have no time for Ailsa at the moment, the character just seems to be doing lip service and the advice she's been giving the teens has been, quite frankly, crap. Pippa is also a funny one. I don't know if it's still a transitional phase but at the moment I very much feel like I'm watching acting when I see Debra's Pippa.

Blake/Karen/Sophie/Marilyn/Alf are holding the show together at the moment. It's funny because looking back, you see why characters such as Alf, Marilyn, Donald, Sally etc became such iconic and long-term roles.

Edward, nice sentiments, particularly your comments above Blake & Karen. Their introduction has turned things around in my opinion and made the Bay more interesting after that dreadful period before Carly & Ben's wedding....

Archived