Alison Patterson's Journey

Bretto

Episode 16 - Mr Manase (Part 1)

Melissa is on the phone to the local newspaper trying to put an ad in the newspaper about getting roommates.

Melissa: That's right. I want my ad to say "Roommates wanted. Two bedrooms available and rent is $150 a week." Okay. So it's going to be in newspaper tomorrow morning? Okay. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Thanks. Bye. *hangs up the phone*

Later that afternoon, Alison is at the park with Leon and Riggot playing with a football.

Leon: Throw the ball to me Ali!

Riggot: No throw it to me!

*Alison throws the football in the air and both Leon and Riggot try and catch it. Riggot just manages to catch it first.*

Alison: Good catch Riggot!

*Leon high-fives Riggot*

Riggot: Thanks Ali.

Alison: That was a good game. Let's go and get some ice-cream.

Leon: Oh boy! Ice-cream! *smiles*

*Alison goes over to the ice-cream truck and buys three ice-creams. She hands over Leon and Riggot's ice-creams before taking hers*

Leon: Thanks for spending time with us Alison.

Alison: I'm just glad that you boys are friends again.

Riggot: That was a stupid fight. I'm just glad I got my good friend back.

Leon: Same here bro! *shakes Riggot's hand*

Meanwhile at Sylvia's house, Sylvia and Wayne are reminiscing about old times.

Sylvia: How did you meet Gloria anyway?

Wayne: I met her when I was working at Kentucky Fried Chicken. We started going out two months later after we first met.

Sylvia: Love at first sight eh?

Wayne: After going out for a year, I proposed to her and we got married in July 1987.

Sylvia: How old are Andrew and Lucy?

Wayne: Andrew is 7 and Lucy is 5.

Sylvia: I wish I had kids of my own one day.

Wayne: You will sis. I'll be there in the delivery room with you.

Sylvia: I love you big brother. *hugs Wayne*

At Westmead Hospital, Rachael is having a private moment with her father.

Rachael: Remember when I was 11 and you took me to Darwin. I really had a great time with you and Mum. I remember us climbing Ayers Rock and you getting kicked by a kangaroo. *laughs* You will always have a special place in my heart.

*Suddenly, the hospital machine flatlines and Mr Manase stops breathing*

Rachael: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *collapses on the ground sobbing*

*Hospital staff come into Mr Manase's room and tell Rachael the news she has been dreading to hear*

Nurse: We've lost him Miss Manase. I'm so sorry. We did everything we could.

Rachael: NOT MY DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *starts wailing*

That evening, Alison and her friends are informed of Mr Manase's death.

Alison: Poor Rachael.

Jenny: I just wish there was something we could do for her.

Sylvia: It's hard when its your parents.

Melissa: When's the funeral going to be?

Alison: Thursday morning at ten o'clock.

Jenny: We have to pay our respects and give Rachael the comfort and support she needs.

*The girls then have a group hug*

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY

- Mr Manase's funeral

- Has Melissa found the perfect roommates to come and live with her?

WHEN ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY CONTINUES

Episode 17 - Mr Manase (Part 2)

On Thursday at exactly ten o'clock, Alison and her friends head over to Mannings Funeral Home in Rozelle for Mr Manase's funeral.

*Alison sits up the back row with Jenny, Brock, Melissa, Sylvia, Amy, Erin and Kat. Rachael is sitting in the front row with her mother and two aunties.*

Alison: This is so sad. *tears begin to well up* Her poor family.

Amy: I know Alison. *puts her arm on Alison's shoulder*

Sylvia: At least we've got each other. *wiping away a tear*

*A celebrant goes up on the stage to speak to the mourners*

Celebrant: Dearly beloved. We are gathered here today to pay tribute to Sam Manase who tragically died from cancer earlier this week. Now let's remember Sam with a song from Nat King Cole.

*Nat King Cole's Unforgettable plays in the silent room with some of the mourners wiping away their tears. When the song is finished, Rachael gets up onto the stage to give out her eulogy.*

Rachael: I remember my father being a friendly, good-natured and respectful man. During his marriage with my mother, they had two children. My older sister Tina and myself. Our father was overjoyed when he found out that Tina was expecting a baby. Unfortunately, he won't be here to see her give birth to his first grandchild. *chokes back her tears* Dad. Every single person that is in this room today really cared about you. They all thought you were a nice man and you will be truly missed. Thank you. *Rachael starts to cry before her sister Tina takes her back to her seat*

*The celebrant gets up on stage again*

Celebrant: Before this funeral comes to a close, I would like to play our final song. You will also be given an opportunity to say goodbye to Sam before he is cremated.

*A Samoan ballad starts to play as the mourners place yellow roses onto the tombstone before they start to leave*

Alison: *places her rose on the tombstone* Goodbye. *wipes away her tears*

After leaving the funeral home, Alison and her friends go back to Rachael's house for tea and biscuits.

Alison: I hope Rachael is okay.

Erin: So do I Alison.

*Rachael walks over to Alison and the rest of the girls*

Rachael: Thank you for coming. I don't know how I would've coped without my friends being there. *wipes away a tear*

Alison: Don't mention it Rachael. *to the girls* How about a group hug?

Kat: That sounds good.

*Alison and her friends then group hug*

That afternoon, Melissa is feeding Phoebe and her three puppies when there is a knock at the door. Melissa opens it to find two women standing there

Melissa: Yes?

Dina: Hello. My name is Dina Caliente and this is my twin sister Nina. *points to a woman with long red hair wearing a black halter top and pink cargo pants*

Nina: Hi. We're here about the roommates position.

Melissa: Please come in.

*Dina (who has long blonde hair and wearing a short, low-necked black dress) and Nina go inside the house*

Melissa: Okay. Just a few questions. Where did you live previously?

Nina: We lived in Pleasantview until about last week.

Melissa: Have you got any jobs?

Dina: I work at a hairdressing salon in Drummoyne.

Nina: And I work at Woolworths in Mount Druitt.

Melissa: How would you describe yourselves?

Dina: I'm shy, quiet and a bit mischievous.

Nina: And I'm outgoing, loud and have a good sense of humour.

Melissa: Why don't I give you a tour of the house?

Dina: That would be great.

After giving them a tour of the house, Melissa makes her final decision.

Melissa: Some of the roommates I have interviewed this week were unbelievable. But the two of you were just simply amazing.

Nina: Why thank you.

Melissa: I've made my decision. The two of you can move in first thing tomorrow afternoon.

Dina: Really?

Melissa: Yes. Really. *smiles*

Nina: We're really looking forward to living with you. I hope we can become friends.

*Melissa hugs both Dina and Nina*

- Dina and Nina move into Melissa's house

- Rachael has a heart to heart with Alison

- Wayne and Gloria head back home after their visit with Sylvia

Episode 18 - Coping with Grief and Loss

On Friday morning, Melissa is waiting for Dina and Nina Caliente to arrive so they can get settled in. The door soon starts knocking and Melissa opens the door.

Nina: Hi Melissa.

Melissa: Oh, hi! You're a bit early aren't you?

Dina: That doesn't matter does it?

Melissa: Of course not. Come in.

*Dina and Nina walk inside the house carrying boxes full of clothes and other personal items*

Melissa: Now Dina. Your bedroom is upstairs on the first door to your left. Nina your bedroom is also upstairs but its on the second door to your right. I have to go to TAFE now. So make yourselves right at home. I should be home by 3:15.

Nina: Okay. Study hard.

Melissa: Bye girls. *walks out and closes the front door*

*Dina and Nina go upstairs and decide to unpack their belongings*

At her house, Alison has decided to take the day off from TAFE to comfort Rachael.

*Alison comes from the kitchen with two cups of hot chocolate*

Alison: I thought you would like some hot chocolate.

Rachael: Thanks. *takes the cup hot chocolate*

*Alison sits down on the couch with Rachael*

Alison: Do you want to talk about it?

Rachael: I just don't understand why people die Alison. Sometimes you don't have a choice but it can be a little heartbreaking too.

Alison: I know. Especially if its someone who has been really close to you throughout your entire life. It was like that with our Nan. She was really close to us grandkids but then she died and me and Jenny were devastated. But we always think about the good times we spent with her.

*Rachael starts to cry*

Rachael: God I miss that man Alison.

Alison: I know you do. We all do. *hugs Rachael*

Meanwhile, Wayne and Gloria are heading back home to Texas and Sylvia is at the airport with her mother to bid them goodbye.

Sylvia: It was really great seeing you for the first time.

Wayne: Likewise. I'll call you every day. *hugs Sylvia*

Mrs Jackson: You'll get an enormous phone bill if you do that. Take care Wayne. *kisses him on the cheek*

Wayne: You too Mother.

Gloria: Goodbye Sylvia. *gives Sylvia a hug* Goodbye Glenys. *hugs Mrs Jackson* It was lovely seeing you all.

Wayne: Say goodbye kids.

Andrew: Bye.

Lucy: See you later alligator.

Sylvia: In a while crocodile.

Pilot (on speaker): Good morning folks. This is your pilot speaking. Flight 483 from Sydney to Houston will be taking off shortly.

Sylvia: You better not miss the plane.

*Wayne, Gloria, Andrew and Lucy start to head off to the departure gate. Sylvia and Mrs Jackson see their plane go up into the sky before they leave the airport.*

At Civic High School, Catherine Tofilau is looking for Seru. They had a fight earlier and she wanted to make up with him.

Catherine: *to Alex* Have you seen Seru?

Alex: Not since Period 4 I'm afraid.

*Catherine continues to look for Seru. She eventually finds him in an 'out of bounds' area.*

Catherine: Seru. Can I talk to you?

Seru: Look Catherine. If this is about....

*Before Seru has a chance to finish what he was saying, Catherine gives him a kiss on the mouth.*

Seru: Catherine... *begins to blush*

Catherine: I've always had a crush on you Seru. Will you go out with me?

Seru: Sure. *gives Catherine a hug before they both start walking back to the quad*

At Melissa's house, Dina and Nina have just finished unpacking their belongings.

Nina: I'm going down to the shops to get the ingredients for the bread puddings. Will you be all right on your own?

Dina: Of course I will Nina.

Nina: I'll be back in half-an-hour. *walks out the front door before getting into her car and starting the engine*

*Dina walks over to the kitchen and starts to call someone. The person picks up on the third ring.*

Dina: Hi. Could I speak to Don Lothario please? Thank you. *waits for a few seconds* Hi Don. It's Dina here. Listen I've got something to tell you. I'm pregnant.

- Alison and her friends meet Dina and Nina for the first time

- Catherine and Seru go out on their first date

- Nina finds out about Dina's phone call to Don Lothario

- Rachael makes the hardest decision of her life