Alison Patterson's Journey

Bretto

Episode 11 - Secrets

Melissa and the girl who kicked the dog continue to argue

Melissa: I will never give MY dog to you! Not after the way you treated it this morning.

Girl: The mutt wouldn't listen to one word I said!

Melissa: YOU DON'T DESERVE TO HAVE A DOG OR ANY KIND OF ANIMAL!!!!!!

Girl: HE IS MY DOG AND I AM TAKING IT BACK HOME!!!!!!!!

Melissa: THE ANSWER IS NO!!!!!!! NOW GET OUT BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE!!!!!

*The girl storms off and Melissa slams the front door shut*

Melissa: Bloody bitch! *to her new dog* I think I will name you Phoebe. *hugs her new dog*

At home, Sylvia has decided to go through her mother's photo albums for old times sake

*Sylvia looks through the photo albums. She is almost finished looking at the photos when she sees a book with the name "Wayne" written on the front in black permanent texta.*

Sylvia: I wonder who Wayne is. *looks through the album and is shocked to find that her mother is cuddling him in the hospital with a man that isn't her father!*

*Just then, Mrs Jackson opens the front door*

Mrs Jackson: Sylvia! I'm back!

*Sylvia quickly puts away the photo albums expect the one that has the photos with Wayne*

Sylvia: In my room!

*Mrs Jackson comes into Sylvia's bedroom and notices Sylvia looking through her photo album with the photos Wayne*

Mrs Jackson: How did you get that photo album?

Sylvia: I was about to ask you the same thing! Is this Wayne guy your son? And did you have an affair with Dad?

Mrs Jackson: That's really none of your concern.

Sylvia: I AM YOUR DAUGHTER!!!! I HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW IF HE IS MY BROTHER OR NOT!!!!!!

Mrs Jackson: DO NOT SPEAK TO ME LIKE THAT SYLVIA!!!!

Sylvia: WELL IS IT TRUE?!?

Mrs Jackson: Okay! Yes! Before you were born, I dated a man from the United States and I fell pregnant six months after we started dating. I gave birth to Wayne in March 1968 and then I decided to end things with him and I decided that he should keep Wayne in the States. When I returned to Australia, I met your father, we got married that November and we welcomed you into our life in September 1970.

Sylvia: How come you never had any contact with Wayne?

Mrs Jackson: I still keep in touch with him via letters.

Sylvia: Is that why you would go into the study room once a month and write out a letter?

*Mrs Jackson nods her head*

Sylvia: I want to meet him. Where does he live?

Mrs Jackson: He lived in California with dad. But he is now married with two children and living in Texas.

Sylvia: I'm sorry I yelled at you! It just took me by surprise.

Mrs Jackson: I should've told you in the first place.

*They hug each other*

The next day, Alison returns home from TAFE when she sees Seru Tamani standing out the front

Seru: Hey Alison. May I talk to you?

Alison: Sure. Come inside.

*Alison and Seru both go inside the house*

Alison: Okay. What do you want to talk about?

Seru: Catherine called me fatty boomba in English today. She really hurt my feelings.

Alison: I understand that.

Seru: Of course. I didn't tell her that she hurt my feelings but I have avoided her all day and she wants to know why.

Alison: Here's my word of advice; talk to Catherine and tell her how much she really hurt you by calling you a fatty boomba. I'm sure she'll see the error of her ways.

Seru: Thanks. You give out great advice Alison.

Alison: You're welcome. *gives Seru a hug*

Sylvia is at a telephone booth calling her long-lost brother's house in the United States

Sylvia: Hello. Yes I was wondering if I could talk to Wayne Michelson please? Sure. *waits for a few seconds* Hello Wayne? This is your long-lost sister Sylvia Jackson. How are you? I'm really looking forward to meeting you.

*Sylvia starts to tear up*

ON THE NEXT EPISODE OF ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY

- Sylvia is determined to meet Wayne and his family

- Alison returns to Summer Bay for her weekend visit

- Rachael receives some more devastating news about her father

WHEN ALISON PATTERSON'S JOURNEY CONTINUES

Episode 12 - Mixed Emotions

Sylvia is at the telephone booth talking to her long-lost brother Wayne. She is crying.

Sylvia: I'm really looking forward to meeting you. *Sylvia starts to tear up* I have always wanted to have a relationship with you. Would you like to come and visit Mum for a few days? I'm sure she can't wait to see you. You just call me back on my house number. It was nice to talk to you. Okay. Goodbye. *hangs up the phone*

On Friday, Alison's class has a casual teacher because Lolly has taken the day off. Her friends decide to sneak into the art class.

Melissa: This teacher is so boring! *frowns*

Rachael: I know.

Alison: I've got a great idea! Why don't we go ask Miss Glover if we can do some painting in her class?

Sylvia: That sounds like a good idea.

Alison: Lets go!

*Alison, Melissa, Sylvia, Rachael and Amy leave their class after finishing their work and walk to Miss Glover's classroom. Alison knocks on the door.*

Alison: *to herself* Come on. Come on. Let us in.

*Miss Glover opens the door*

Miss Glover: Hello. Why are you girls here?

Amy: We asked the teacher if we could paint in your class because we finished all of our work..

Miss Glover: I don't see why not. You may come in.

*Alison and her friends walk inside the classroom which is a split level and open plan.*

Miss Glover: The painting class has been one of our more popular classes. This room is where you get to display your natural talent.

*Alison and her friends sit with three other students and get some paint from the trolley and start drawing on seperate canvases*

When class is dismissed, Alison says goodbye to Rachael and Amy and walks to the bus stop with Melissa and Sylvia

Alison: As soon as I get home, I'm going to start packing.

Melissa: That girl hasn't bothered me about the dog since I gave her what for. I intend to keep it.

Sylvia: Good on you Mel!

*Five minutes before the bus is due, Riggot and Leon arrive with Tyson and another friend Elijah Sa*

Riggot: Sup girls!

Alison: Hey guys!

*Riggot and his friends kiss Alison and her friends on the cheek*

Melissa: How was school?

Leon: It was good. P.E. was great. We played rugby against Year 11 and 12 at lunchtime and we just beat them by two points.

Alison: Never knew you could be so tough playing rugby league.

Riggot: Do you want to come with me and Leon for our first tennis lesson tomorrow?

Alison: I can't. I'm going to be going to spend the weekend my parents in Summer Bay. But I'll be back on Sunday afternoon.

Tyson: What do your parents do?

Alison: They own a dairy farm and my little brother and sister help out sometimes.

Elijah: That sounds pretty crappy.

Alison: It's actually really fun. But I hate squeezing milk out of the cow.

Sylvia: I spoke to my long-lost brother last night.

Melissa: Really?

Sylvia: It was like I knew him all my life.

*The bus soon pulls up. Alison and her friends soon get on it and start heading for home*

At Westmead Hospital, Dr Michael Cleary is talking to Rachael in his office.

Rachael: WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE CAN'T BREATHE?!?

Dr Cleary: The cancer has filled his lungs up completely. The only way your father can breathe is through a tube.

Rachael: I THOUGHT YOU SAID HE HAD THREE MONTHS LEFT!!!!!

Dr Cleary: Miss Manase. I'm really sorry but he has only got a week or two left to live.

Rachael: THIS IS NOT FAIR!!!!! *runs out of the room in tears*

Meanwhile, Sylvia returns home to find her mother standing near the entrance of the living room

Mrs Jackson: I'm glad you're here Sylvia.

Sylvia: Why?

Mrs Jackson: Because I want you to meet someone.

*Mrs Jackson leads Sylvia into the living room. To Sylvia's surprise, Wayne is sitting on the couch with his wife Gloria and their two children Andrew and Lucy*

Wayne: Hello Sylvia.

Sylvia: I don't believe it! My brother! *runs over to Wayne and hugs him*

Wayne: I'm so glad to meet you.

Sylvia: I'm glad to meet you as well.

*Sylvia then hugs Andrew and Lucy before kissing cheeks with Gloria. She then goes over and hugs Mrs Jackson*

Alison has finished packing her clothes and personal items in to two suitcases. She is going to catch the 5 o'clock bus to Summer Bay.

Jenny: Say hello to Uncle Tim and Aunty Helen for me won't you.

Alison: I will Jen.

*Just then the phone rings*

Jenny: I'll get it. *races to the living room* Hello. Hi Rachael. Alison is just about to leave. Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear that love. Come over as soon as you can. All right. Bye.

Alison: Was that Rachael?

Jenny: Yes. *holds Alison's hand* She just found out that her father is going to die in two weeks. The cancer spread through to his lungs.

Alison: Poor girl. Maybe I should postpone my visit.

Jenny: You just go to Summer Bay and visit your family. I will look after her. Don't worry.

*Alison heads to the bus stop with Jenny. The bus arrives two minutes later.*

Alison: I just hope she understands.

Jenny: She will love.

*They hug*

Jenny: Have fun.

Alison: I will. *gets on the bus*

*Jenny waves at Alison before heading back into the house*

An hour later, there is a knock at the door. Jenny opens it to find Rachael stand there. She is crying.

Jenny: Come on in Rachael.

*Rachael sits down on the couch sobbing. Jenny hugs her*

Jenny: I know love. I know. I know

*Jenny continues to hug a weeping Rachael*

- Jenny and Rachael comfort each other

- Riggot and Leon's first tennis lesson ends in disaster

- Alison decides to make amends with the people she bullied in Summer Bay

Episode 13 - Making Amends

Alison gets off the bus and walks to her parents house. When she gets there, she rings the doorbell. Mrs Patterson answers.

Mrs Patterson: Alison! *gives Alison a hug*

Alison: Hello Mum. I'm not too late am I?

Mrs Patterson: Not at all my girl. *helps Alison inside with one of her suitcases*

*Alison walks inside and puts her suitcases in her old bedroom*

Mrs Patterson: I'm so glad you could come and stay with us. The kids have been dying to see you.

*Kim and Mav walk into the living room*

Kim: Hi Alison.

Alison: Hello Kimmy! *they hug*

Mav: How are you my darling sister?

Alison: Really well Mav. *kisses his cheek*

*Mr Patterson soon walks in the front door*

Mr Patterson: G'day Alison! *walks over to Alison and hugs her* I have missed you so much.

Alison: I've missed you too Daddy.

*The Patterson family soon start to talk all at once. Alison sits down on the sofa and starts to smile.*

Back in the city, Jenny and Rachael comfort each other about people who they've lost in their life

Jenny: When I was 13 years-old, my nan died of a heart attack. I really loved her. She always called me her favourite grand-daughter. *begins to cry*

Rachael: *still crying* My grandparents all died before I was born. I didn't even know what death felt like until now.

Jenny: I know darling. It hurts the most when you have loved them all your life. *wipes away a tear* I'm just worried Mum might be next.

Rachael: Don't ever say that. At least we have our friends and you have Brock.

*Jenny and Rachael hug each other while continuing to cry*

When Kim and Mav have gone to bed, Alison talks to her parents about what she is doing with herself since moving to the city.

Alison: I'm doing my Year 12 HSC at TAFE. I've made lots of new friends and I'm starting a program next week to help students with learning disabilities.

Mrs Patterson: I'm really impressed Alison. You are starting to grow up into a respectful young lady.

Alison: Well I wanted to change my life after what I did with Bobby Simpson's parentage and all.

Mr Patterson: Tomorrow might be a good opportunity to go around and tell people that you are sorry.

Alison: You're right Daddy. *kisses him on the cheek* I might go to bed. Good night.

Mrs Patterson: Good night darling.

The next morning, Alison goes around to practically every house in Summer Bay and leaves apology notes in their letterboxes. Kim accompanies her.

Alison: I just hope they forgive me Kimmy.

Kim: Alison listen to me. You may have done some terrible things in the past but you are my sister and I will always love you. The whole town will eventually come around.

Alison: Thanks Kimmy. *gives Kim a hug*

Meanwhile, Sylvia is having breakfast with Wayne and Gloria.

Sylvia: How long have you been in Texas for?

Wayne: Nearly three years. Gloria's mother was getting sick so she wanted to move closer to home.

Sylvia: Is she all right now?

Gloria: She passed away last year.

Sylvia: I'm so sorry to hear that. *holds Gloria's hand*

Gloria: That's okay. Would you like to spend time with the kids?

Sylvia: I would like that. Would you like me to take them to Wonderland?

Gloria: Sure.

Sylvia: Then its all settled. I will take Andrew and Lucy to Wonderland tomorrow afternoon. But what will you guys do?

Wayne: We might bond with our mother.

Sylvia: That's a good idea.

At her house, Melissa has given some dog food to Phoebe.

Melissa: Here you go my treasure. I hope you like it.

*Phoebe eats the food rather quickly*

Melissa: Did you like that Phoebe? *pats Phoebe on the head* You did? Oh well that's good. Let's go for a walk to the park and we might play frisbee. Okay?

*Melissa places Phoebe in a dog leash, locks the front door and they start walking to the park*

At noon, Leon and Riggot begin their first tennis lesson. Their tennis instructor is Emma Rose.

Emma: Now. Basic skills in tennis include ready position, serve and volley grip, serving and serve return, hitting the ball forehand and backhand and moving around the court. Since there are eight of you in the class, you will compete in a tournament just for fun. I want you all to look at the sheet when I tape it onto the wall.

*Emma tapes the tournament sheet on the wall. When Leon and Riggot look at it, they are shocked at what they see.*

Crystal vs. James

Kellie vs. Alexandra

Leon vs. Riggot

Greg vs. Shirley

Leon: Looks like we're facing each other bro.

Riggot: Don't expect me to go easy on you. I'm gonna beat you.

Leon: Don't bet on it.

*After the first two matches (Crystal and Alexandra won), Leon and Riggot begin their game*

Emma: Get ready! GO!!!!!! *blows her whistle*

*Throughout the game both Leon and Riggot are pretty bad since its their first time playing. On the final match point, both guys become so frustrated that they take it out on each other*

Leon: Why don't you throw the ball properly?

Riggot: Hey at least I'm not making myself look like an idiot by attempting to use the racket as a fan!

Leon: You want to say that again bro?

Riggot: I just did!

*Both Leon and Riggot square up to each other. Emma eventually pulls them apart.*

Emma: YOU ARE BOTH DISQUALIFIED!!!! HOW DARE YOU SHOW UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR IN THIS CLASS!!!

Riggot: Well you don't have to worry Miss Rose. Because I quit!

Leon: Me too!

*Both Leon and Riggot storm out of the class and go home in seperate directions*

When Alison and Kim return home, Mrs Patterson is waiting for them.

Mrs Patterson: I've got some good news for you Alison.

Alison: What is it?

Mrs Patterson: Everyone in town rang. They all forgive you.

Alison: That's great!

*Alison goes over to Mrs Patterson and gives her a hug*

- Alison spends time with her former YR12 classmates before she heads back to the city

- Leon and Riggot continue to ignore each other

- Sylvia takes Wayne's kids to Luna Park

Episode 14 - Moving On

The next day, Alison is at the beach with her former Summer Bay High classmates having a BBQ lunch.

*Alison is sunbathing when Bobby Simpson and Carly Morris approach her*

Bobby: How are ya Fish-Face?

Alison: Good Bobby. How's Frank?

Bobby: Great.

Alison: And what about you Carly?

Carly: Great. Except I have to put up with Vicki Baxter. She's such a slag!

Bobby: Speaking of Vicki. I see the slag now with the dog who refused to let me see the dress because she reckoned I couldn't afford it.

*Alison sees Vicki Baxter is talking to Louise Clegg the snooby saleswoman at the local formal dress store and starts to walk over to them*

Carly: I wouldn't go near them Alison.

Alison: Why not? I only want to say hello. *walks over to them followed by Bobby and Carly*

Vicki: Well, well, well! If it ain't slag head Simpson and her drug addict foster sister.

Alison: You better watch what you say.

Louise: Why? Because you're a slag.

*Alison pushes Louise into the water*

Alison: Oops! Sorry!

Vicki: You self-centred bitch! *goes to slap Alison*

Alison: *blocks Vicki's hand* You try it and I'll push you in the water as well!

Louise: She's not worth it Vicki! Let's go!

*Vicki runs off with a drenched Louise*

Bobby: Derros!

*Alison high-fives Carly and then Bobby before going back to the Year 12 students and finishing off their BBQ lunch*

Shortly before Alison goes home, she decides to visit Narelle Smart in Yabbie Creek.

Mrs Patterson: It was lovely seeing you again Alison. Come visit soon. *gives Alison a hug*

Alison: I will. Bye Mum.

Kim: Bye Alison.

Alison: Bye Kimmy. *hugs Kim*

Mav: Catch you later big sister. *kisses Alison's cheek*

Alison: Bye Mav. *to Mrs Patterson* Say goodbye to Daddy for me.

Mrs Patterson: I will darling. Bye-bye.

*Alison catches the bus and gets off at Yabbie Creek. She walks two blocks before going to Narelle's house and knocking on the door*

Narelle: I'm coming. *opens the door* Hey Alison. What brings you here?

Alison: I thought I would come by for a visit before I headed back to the city.

Narelle: That's very nice of you. Come in and have a cuppa.

*Alison goes inside Narelle's house which is very girly-like*

Narelle: *pours some coffee in to two teacups* What have you been doing with yourself?

Alison: I'm at TAFE now and studying for my HSC.

Narelle: That's beaute. I'm lucky I got my HSC at Yabbie Creek High.

*After finishing her cup of coffee, Alison is on her way to the bus stop.*

Narelle: Would you like me to give you a lift? The bus doesn't come until 4 o'clock.

Alison: Sure.

*Alison gets in the passenger's side of Narelle's pink Mini Cooper and they start driving back to the city*

Meanwhile, Sylvia finds out that Wonderland is closed. So instead, she takes Andrew and Lucy to Luna Park.

*After a few rides, Andrew starts to feel sick*

Andrew: I think I'm going to throw up.

Sylvia: Quick! In the bin! *races Andrew to the rubbish bin where he vomits*

Lucy: I keep telling you that when you go on scary rides you get sick!

Andrew: Maybe I should listen in future.

Sylvia: Maybe you should. Are you all right now?

Andrew: Yes. Can we go home now?

Sylvia: Okay.

*Sylvia holds Andrew and Lucy's hands before they leave Luna Park*

At the football oval, Leon and Riggot continue to ignore each other.

Ben: Come on guys. This is silly!

Randall: Yeah. Why can't you guys talk properly.

Riggot: We can once Leon stops acting like a child.

Leon: I am acting like a child?!? Do you know what your problem is Riggot Varu? You are too competitive!

Riggot: At least I don't whine like a baby.

Leon: You're the immature one!

Riggot: Oh yeah?

Leon: YEAH!

*Riggot and Leon square up to each other again but Ben manages to hold Riggot back while Randall does likewise with Leon*

Riggot: I WISH WE NEVER MET!!!!

Leon: GOOD!!!!!

*Both Riggot and Leon storm off in seperate directons while Ben and Randall sadly look on*

Later that afternoon, Narelle drops Alison off at her house.

Narelle: Well it was lovely seeing you again Alison. *gives Alison a hug*

Alison: I hope you come and spend time with me soon.

Narelle: I will love. Bye. *drives away*

*Alison goes inside the house where she is greeted by Jenny*

Jenny: How was it?

Alison: It was good. I had a really good time.

Jenny: That's good to hear. Now, I'm going out with Brock and I won't be back until ten-thirty. Dinner's on the counter so just help yourself.

Alison: Okay. Have fun.

Jenny: I will.

*Jenny leaves the house while Alison looks at a photo of her family and smiles*

Alison: I love you guys.

- Alison and her friends visit Mr Manase for the last time

- Leon and Riggot patch up their differences

- The new learning disability program starts at TAFE

- Phoebe the dog gives Melissa a surprise

Edited by Bretto

Episode 15 - Disabilites

Early on Monday morning, Melissa wakes up to hear Phoebe wimpering in pain.

Melissa: What's the matter my little angel? *goes over to pat Phoebe on the head*

*Phoebe lets out a cry in pain as she pushes out a newborn puppy*

Melissa: Oh my gosh! You're having puppies! I'd better call the vet! *carries Phoebe and her newborn puppy inside the house before ringing the vet* Hello? I'm sorry to be calling at 3:30 in the morning but my dog has given birth to a puppy and she might be expecting more. Okay. I'll see you in five minutes. Thank you. *hangs up the phone*

Five minutes later, the veterinarian arrives at Melissa's house.

Veterinarian: Where is the mother?

Melissa: I placed her on the sofa. She's expecting another one now.

*Both Melissa and the veterinarian watch as Phoebe gives birth to two more puppies*

Veterinarian: Make sure that Phoebe gets lots of rest and eats correctly. As for the puppies, feed them some milk only.

Melissa: I will do that. Thank you very much. *shows the veterinarian to the door*

*Melissa then goes over to the three newborn puppies (two boys and one girl) and names them Spike, Buster and Molly*

At TAFE later that morning, Alison is helping two students Justin Enwiya (a dyslexic) and Fiona Grey (who suffers from Asperger syndrome) as part of the new learning disability program. Kat Benson is also in the program.

Alison: Justin. Why do you find reading so difficult?

Justin: It's just that whenever I read a book I don't understand some of the words.

Alison: I could help you read and write better. Would you like that?

Justin: I would like that very much.

Alison *turns to Fiona* Now Fiona. Why do you people pick on you because of how you write?

Fiona: Because I'm a very slow writer and the kids at school used to call me 'slow snail' or 'retard'.

Alison: I'm sorry to hear that. I will help you write faster.

Fiona: You would do that for me?

*Alison nods her head*

Fiona: Thank you so much.

Alison: You're welcome.

When the first learning disability program session has ended, Alison and Kat talk about their experience with the students on their way to morning tea.

Kat: The girls that I'm helping are really nice.

Alison: Justin and Fiona seem like they're good people. Who are your girls?

Kat: I have one who has ADHD; her name is Naomi. And I have one who talks with a lisp; her name is Angela.

Alison: It's good that Lolly and Mrs Maddigan allowed us to help these students every Monday and Wednesday morning.

Kat: I know. It's a great experience for them and for us. Want to have a cappuccino with me?

Alison: Sure. Would you like to sit at my table?

Kat: Of course.

*Both Alison and Kat walk into the lunchroom*

At Civic High School, Leon is sitting down on the grass looking at the students going about their business when Riggot joins him.

Riggot: Mind if I join you?

Leon: Do what you want.

*Riggot sits next to Leon*

Riggot: Listen. I'm really sorry for saying that I wished I never met you. And for my behaviour at the tennis class.

Leon: I'm sorry for everything I said too bro. We never should've taken those tennis lessons. We were right to quit.

Riggot: Yeah. Miss Rose was annoying anyway. But she did teach us one thing; not to be too competitive.

*Riggot and Leon laugh*

Leon: What do you say? Friends?

Riggot: Friends till the end man!

*They shake hands before they bump fists*

That afternoon when TAFE has finished Alison, Jenny, Melissa and Sylvia see Mr Manase for the last time.

Jenny: I never knew cancer could do that to you.

Sylvia: It's so sad.

Alison: I can't believe that he is going to die soon. I feel so bad for Rachael.

Melissa: Me too Alison.

*Rachael comes in with some coffee from the hospital cafe*

Rachael: I thought you would like some coffee.

Jenny: Thanks Rach.

*The girls take their coffees while Rachael kisses her father on the forehead*

Rachael: I love you Dad.

- Mr Manase passes away which leaves Rachael totally devastated

- Melissa decides to look for a roommate

- Alison spends time with Leon and Riggot