7TWO Transmission Discussion

Old H&A Fan

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though can I just point out that non-Aussies ringing up asking about the Early Years on an Australian channel really isn't going to help the cause.

I know it's been mentioned before in here and the comment was brushed aside, but please think about it.

3 hours ago, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

I'm sure some Australians have non-Australian accents. It's not really the job of a call center drone to question the location of a caller, even if they can see the number.

However, when those in the actual department - beyond the call centre, who do have access to the numbers - realise that the people ringing are from outside Australia, they may start to wonder why they're calling... And there goes any chance of the show coming back - because they aren't making money. But by all means... Go ahead. ^_^

^....Or just may not appreciate being spoken down to.

It's possible, just possible, that these people are already fully aware of how it may look if they are calling up from overseas (without being patronizingly told to "please think about it" - you know forum members do have brains of their own), but have decided, shock-horror, that it's not as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. It's just possible that these people have minds of their own and are quite capable of deciding for themselves how something looks and whether it would be in any way detrimental or not.

But of course we're back to "us and them".

Now, if a huge volume of people from the UK are phoning up to demand a show being brought back in Australia, then you may have a point.

However, one person phoning up, not even for that purpose, but just to inquire why call centre staff are giving different answers, isn't going to be brought up at a scheduling meeting. :lol:

23 hours ago, Matt said:

And there goes any chance of the show coming back - because they aren't making money. But by all means... Go ahead. ^_^

That makes zero sense.

If a show is making money in Australia, it's  making money in Australia. Regardless of whether people from overseas are obtaining it illegally or not. It doesn't affect whatever ratings the show does or doesn't achieve in Australia. So it's not like they're going to see a bunch of UK numbers and suddenly say "Hey, all the money we made from those airings doesn't count anymore because some people overseas where the show doesn't air and we get no revenue from anyway, have downloaded it!" Whether or not a tiny amount of UK people are downloading the show (or even if it was an enormous amount actually) has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how well the show rates in Australia, which is the only place it actually airs and therefore is where they make their money.

Now I'm not saying they would approve of knowing people in the UK are downloading the early years, or that they wouldn't want to stop it, but that's beside the point you made. They're not going to decide a show suddenly isn't making money any more because people in a different country are asking about it.

Thanks for your permission to "go ahead". Wouldn't have been able to do it without knowing your opinion.

1 hour ago, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

It's possible, just possible, that these people are already fully aware of how it may look if they are calling up from overseas (without being patronizingly told to "please think about it" - you know forum members do have brains of their own), but have decided, shock-horror, that it's not as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. It's just possible that these people have minds of their own and are quite capable of deciding for themselves how something looks and whether it would be in any way detrimental or not

Some folks DO need to be told. And others may need to take a chill pill...

2 hours ago, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

^....Or just may not appreciate being spoken down to.

It's possible, just possible, that these people are already fully aware of how it may look if they are calling up from overseas (without being patronizingly told to "please think about it" - you know forum members do have brains of their own), but have decided, shock-horror, that it's not as big a deal as some people are making it out to be. It's just possible that these people have minds of their own and are quite capable of deciding for themselves how something looks and whether it would be in any way detrimental or not.

Now, if a huge volume of people from the UK are phoning up to demand a show being brought back in Australia, then you may have a point.

However, one person phoning up, not even for that purpose, but just to inquire why call centre staff are giving different answers, isn't going to be brought up at a scheduling meeting. :lol:

That makes zero sense.

If a show is making money in Australia, it's  making money in Australia. Regardless of whether people from overseas are obtaining it illegally or not. It doesn't affect whatever ratings the show does or doesn't achieve in Australia. So it's not like they're going to see a bunch of UK numbers and suddenly say "Hey, all the money we made from those airings doesn't count anymore because some people overseas where the show doesn't air and we get no revenue from anyway, have downloaded it!" Whether or not a tiny amount of UK people are downloading the show (or even if it was an enormous amount actually) has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how well the show rates in Australia, which is the only place it actually airs and therefore is where they make their money.

Now I'm not saying they would approve of knowing people in the UK are downloading the early years, or that they wouldn't want to stop it, but that's beside the point you made. They're not going to decide a show suddenly isn't making money any more because people in a different country are asking about it.

Thanks for your permission to "go ahead". Wouldn't have been able to do it without knowing your opinion.

To the first bolded bit, I say it all comes down to a matter of opinion and how one perceives letter strung together in a sentence to sound.

To the second bolded bit, if it can be downloaded by the Brits, it can be downloaded by the Aussies. And, in my experience, if people can download it to watch it after the fact, they will. And therefore, dwindling ratings, lesser revenue...

As you say, you have a brain. I'm sure you understand.

On 01/08/2017 at 0:04 PM, Shannon Found Skeletons said:

Well sorry if you personally see it as "patronising", but yes, some people do need to be reminded about discretion. Not all people, just some.

Now I'm obviously not privy to the number of phone calls, but I have seen a number of comments on petitions, groups and Seven/H&A's own Facebook pages with people demanding the return of the Early Years to 7TWO so they can continue watching - seemingly oblivious to the fact they've put their international location right there beside it.

Some people have even tagged the official H&A and Seven Network accounts alongside BTTB in tweets (now removed) asking us to help "save the early years", attaching direct links to pages that upload the episodes.

Just because I say things you might disagree with, or don't do things your way, it doesn't mean that there's the "us and them attitude" that you're continuing to push. Ultimately all I'm trying to do is guide some people on BTTB away from making the same mistakes, for everyone's benefit. Hopefully others can see that.

Archived