7TWO Transmission Discussion

Old H&A Fan

Don't they use "bitch" a lot more in TV now? They certainly do in the US, and I would be surprised if they don't in Australia as the censoring of language over there isn't nearly as strict as it is in the US. Pretty sure "bitch" popped up in a recent episode when Frank told Bobby and Carly to "stop their bitching" or something along those lines. :lol: So I don't really see that being an issue which would be the repeats pulled from the schedule.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still, could they really cancel a show if an actor simply complains?

This is something I still don't quite understand and perhaps someone more well versed in the legal side of this issue can break this down for us. I'm not sure if it's different in Australia than it is in the US but usually what happens when a given show is syndicated is the actors are simply compensated (residuals) and that is the end of the story. I have never heard of an instance where an actor (even one who has moved on to a high profile career) was able to "block" one of his early works from airing.

If this was something that was common in the US we would have already lost out on syndication of some of the more popular sitcoms of the seventies due to the fact that they featured a given actor at an early stage of his career. John Travolta in "Welcome Back Kotter" would be one example but there are hundreds more.

I can't see how Dennis Conrad or anyone else could possibly get away with this unless under Australian law the legality question as far as this issue goes is vastly different from how it is in the US.

Syndication is pretty much an American only thing.At least until fairly recently, with the advent of satellite and digital, the idea of endless cycles of repeats was pretty much unheard of in the UK and I suspect in Australia.As late as the 80s, it was a lot easier for UK stations to repeat American shows than ones they'd made themselves for that very reason:Because of syndication rules it was just a case of sending off another cheque, whereas for their own shows they had to go through the process of contacting actors and negotiating fees.

I think the situation is different in the UK now.Any shows being made now, repeats and uses in other media are covered in the initial contract.I remember reading that they made a blanket deal with the unions agreeing a standard fee to actors, writers, etc. for repeats.I'm not sure if they made a similar deal in Australia but if they are doing these repeats it seems likely some sort of deal must be in place with the actors.You used to hear stories about Martin Shaw blocking repeats of The Professionals, not sure if that's the case now that it's doing the rounds on digital.

• 3 months later...

To bring this up again after the mention of issues in the 1989 thread, I found this of interest in regards to the possibility of former actors trying to block repeats: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...s-episodes.html

If someone as big as Kylie wasn't able to stop them, then it makes you wonder what was different with Seven's contracts IF the rumours are true.....

sounds nothing more than a misunderstanding if youask me or highly false accusation from 7Two because they're ust scared coming second place when they have nothing to worry about with their own channel episodes have been produced long time ago, this would still form a treat if it was they were on the same channel 7 isn't airing it's new episodes at the same time and two has it summer break standing for the door it will be the perfect oppurtunity for 7's viewers tuning in on two see if they like what they see and two can only have higher ratings from that, its the firts summerbreak for 7two it will make a big difference before and after the break i'm sure !!! there's no need for the two disappearing any time soon!!!

Thanks for the link, Dan. Kylie has no right to block the episodes from airing. I suppose if the contracts are different then there´s nothing they can do, but I really want to see those episodes. I guess we´ll all just have to wait until July to see what happens. If they take the show off air, protest is in order :P

What managment is Kylie with?

anyway i wouldn't take her this personal there's always someone going to do difficult

It would be big shame if 89 wouldn't go through cause i was planning on catching up would already have but just didn't feel right with the current selfdistructive charcters i decided to putt my focus just a few more months on them to be serious

it sorta got the opposite effect now the current has become bad at the last minute and i never give up ^_^

sounds nothing more than a misunderstanding if youask me or highly false accusation from 7Two because they're ust scared coming second place when they have nothing to worry about with their own channel episodes have been produced long time ago, this would still form a treat if it was they were on the same channel 7 isn't airing it's new episodes at the same time and two has it summer break standing for the door it will be the perfect oppurtunity for 7's viewers tuning in on two see if they like what they see and two can only have higher ratings from that, its the firts summerbreak for 7two it will make a big difference before and after the break i'm sure !!! there's no need for the two disappearing any time soon!!!

7TWO haven't been accusing anyone of anything, either have they said they would get rid of the early years. We are all just speculating and going off what has happened in the past, Dan is just using the Kylie (Neighbours) situation as an example.

I'm glad they told Kylie they would run them whether she liked it or not becuase it would have been very frustrating to never have had those episodes aired again.

They did say something about the music rights at one stage so maybe there was something in the contract running from 1990-1996 with Mushroom Records. Do you think all of the artists have to be paid each time their song is used in the diner or something? I can see how that would put Seven off.

• 1 month later...

Archived