Pippa Fletcher/Ross - Vanessa Downing & Debra Lawrance

Yes I remember that. But as seen in my first post the wedding one was kept the same though. But at least that wasn't a dodgy face editing job though:) 

Then there was the voice over like Sindi Katas said. When Miles arrived Sally had a dream and we had a flashback to the pilot episode. Vanessa's Pippa was explaining to Sally why Milko couldn't vote over Bobby coming to live with them.

• Like 1

There was also a brief flashback in 2004 with Vanessa's Pippa.

Yeah I forgot about the voiceover in 2000. Have you seen the alternate version on youtube with Debra/Kate voiceover? It's very good, I've watched it more times than I should admit haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R50IlGQy2vg

Edited by beau_t

After 2004 when Sally moved back into Summer Bay House, they stopped hiding Vanessa Downing from the show's history and put the original photos up without the face-editing.

Or probably even earlier. In 2000 when Pippa was leaving SBH a voice-over of Vanessa's Pippa is heard. Similarly very recently they showed a face of Rebecca#1 which also means that her face wasn't forgotten.

What was the reason for showing the first Rebecca recently?  

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

After 2004 when Sally moved back into Summer Bay House, they stopped hiding Vanessa Downing from the show's history and put the original photos up without the face-editing.

Or probably even earlier. In 2000 when Pippa was leaving SBH a voice-over of Vanessa's Pippa is heard. Similarly very recently they showed a face of Rebecca#1 which also means that her face wasn't forgotten.

What was the reason for showing the first Rebecca recently?  

Sorry, I meant Hayley played by Rebecca Catwright.

• 4 months later...

I'm not really a fan of Pippa - and I don't know why. I used to when I first tuned in (in the last year or so of her stint). I think watching the repeats on 7two has really highlighted how she's not perfect - her behaviour to Jack last week being a great example - and while it's great the writers are acknowledging she has flaws (like we all do) I just find her increasingly frustrating to watch. I think the problem is that she's either the perfect mother - or she's not - and the only time she feels 'real' to me is when she's demonstrating her flaws. The rest of the time she just seems too good to be true, always warm and loving - but lacking any tangible positive character traits. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself properly but I just find something about Pippa difficult to like - and I wish I could like her like everyone else does, like I used to 20 years ago...

Aside from her harsh treatment of Jack, I didn't feel as if she listened to Michael in the lead-up to their marriage breakdown; she was awful to Sophie when she considered giving Tamara up for adoption etc. I also remember how she basically told Shannon that Sally was the only one of her kids who meant anything (after Sally disappeared after the rafting accident) - then she's shocked when Sally has this sense of entitlement about inheriting the house a couple of years later as if she hadn't fostered (no pun intended) that thinking in her in the first place.

Finally (and I know this is unreasonable) I always got annoyed at Pippa's 'comforting' of Sally after the failed wedding to Kieran: "you should be thanking Gypsy". OK. Fair enough - but not really the right thing to tell Sally only a few hours after the event.

I'm sure I'm probably being really unfair, maybe it's because she's not living up to the expectations I had of her. I always enjoyed her returns throughout the 2000s (especially 2008 where she stuck around for a while).

• Like 1

On 3/21/2016 at 0:15 PM, Spinach said:

I'm not really a fan of Pippa - and I don't know why. I used to when I first tuned in (in the last year or so of her stint). I think watching the repeats on 7two has really highlighted how she's not perfect - her behaviour to Jack last week being a great example - and while it's great the writers are acknowledging she has flaws (like we all do) I just find her increasingly frustrating to watch. I think the problem is that she's either the perfect mother - or she's not - and the only time she feels 'real' to me is when she's demonstrating her flaws. The rest of the time she just seems too good to be true, always warm and loving - but lacking any tangible positive character traits. I'm not sure I'm explaining myself properly but I just find something about Pippa difficult to like - and I wish I could like her like everyone else does, like I used to 20 years ago...

Aside from her harsh treatment of Jack, I didn't feel as if she listened to Michael in the lead-up to their marriage breakdown; she was awful to Sophie when she considered giving Tamara up for adoption etc. I also remember how she basically told Shannon that Sally was the only one of her kids who meant anything (after Sally disappeared after the rafting accident) - then she's shocked when Sally has this sense of entitlement about inheriting the house a couple of years later as if she hadn't fostered (no pun intended) that thinking in her in the first place.

Finally (and I know this is unreasonable) I always got annoyed at Pippa's 'comforting' of Sally after the failed wedding to Kieran: "you should be thanking Gypsy". OK. Fair enough - but not really the right thing to tell Sally only a few hours after the event.

I'm sure I'm probably being really unfair, maybe it's because she's not living up to the expectations I had of her. I always enjoyed her returns throughout the 2000s (especially 2008 where she stuck around for a while).

I know what you mean as I found Pippa quite unlikable in 1992 episodes. As an example in  storyline when Sally was upset about not being bridesmaid at Bobby and Greg's wedding  I thought  Pippa was being very petty and childish in way she was treating Sally. Also when she  told Finlay if she goes out with boys she kick her out.

And quite frankly I am not sure if I think Debra's Pippa was any more mummsy then Vanessa Pippa as  I find Vanessa Pippa a more gentle and more layered character as there are times when Debra's  Pippa can be hard and rough around edges and  very bland and too of  much stereotype l mum.

But I it think comes down to being to  used to Pippa guest returns when she is no longer dealing with Summer Bay dramas and come's back all relaxed and able to be kind mother hen to everyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Edward Skylover said:

Am I the only one who still likes Pippa :o

I never liked Pippa #2. I just found her rather dull and insipid, whereas Vanessa made Pippa more lively and fun. I don't know what the age difference between Debra and Vanessa is (if any!), but Debra made it seem like Pippa had aged about 20 years with her new personality. It's nothing against Debra, as I really liked her in Blue Heelers, but it felt like a whole new character. Michael was just as dull, and I really can't imagine him and Pippa#1 as a convincing couple.

I think it would have been good, instead of recasting Pippa, for her to ask Alf and Ailsa to take over the caravan park in the same way that Pippa#2 asked Travis and Rebecca to do it. At that point, Sally could have stayed on with Carly and Ben or Bobby, if they felt that Pippa wouldn't have left Sally with them. 

Edited by adam436

3 hours ago, Edward Skylover said:

Am I the only one who still likes Pippa :o

I do love both versions, but it took me until about 1992 or 1993 to start liking Pippa 2.

its not that Edward but like I said we got too used to Pippa being Miss Unflawed on her return visits. When she living in the Bay she had flaws like rest of characters.

Same goes for Shelley.  Shelley become very unlikable towards the end of her regular run and her guest runs between 2002-2004. Then when Shelley returned in 2009 she was back to being very likable again!.

Yeah but then Adam they would have been down to only three adult characters(Alf/Ailsa/Donald).

I reckon they should have brought in Debra Lawrence as a new character as  she was a friend of Pippa and family who promise to look   after things for Pippa.