Floss McPhee - Sheila Kennelly

• 7 years later...
On 24 May 2009 at 1:43 PM, j.laur5 said:

Floss is one of my all time favourite characters and here's why: she's funny, she's warm, she's caring, she's fun.

I agree.

I've been watching some of 1988 when she became the nanny for her grandson without her son knowing. That was great. Her grandson Ben called his dad saying he hated Floss, so he requested to speak to Floss directly, who then put on a Scottish accent so he didn't recognise her voice. :D I think it was a mistake to axe the character, she served the grandmother role perfectly.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On May 24, 2009 at 08:43, j.laur5 said:

Floss is one of my all time favourite characters and here's why: she's funny, she's warm, she's caring, she's fun.

I really enjoyed Nev and Floss, it's a shame the programming took a different direction and excluded them. Floss really cared about the Fletcher family and had a beautiful relationship with each of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I really love how Floss said in the episode she left that she promised Pippa she always be there to help, and Floss felt guilty she would be breaking that promise. It really felt like Floss knew pain was to come for Pippa and wanted to be there to help her. 

I bet there were times when Pippa said to herself I wish Floss was here to help me. 

• Like 1

• Dan F changed the title to Floss McPhee - Sheila Kennelly
  • 1 year later...

I have noticed many people have posted they preferred to had Floss then Colleen and i am one of those people as long as didit turn Floss into busybody or towns laughing stock as Floss was never busy-body like Celia and Colleen and was without doubt definitely  more down to earth then Colleen and Celia.

• 2 months later...

It's not hard to see why Floss and Neville were axed. They were basically underused from the start and it would have made so much more sense to have them as recurring characters, like Bob Barnett or Alison Patterson, who only popped up when the storyline required. 

They had one big storyline (with their son and grandson), but the rest of the time they were just used for filler scenes. It got really obvious towards the end of their stint that the writers had run out of ideas for them. I liked them both initially, but they got annoying towards the end of their stint, probably because many of their scenes/appearances felt forced. It made sense to ditch them in favour of characters like Mariyln and Morag, who brought a new lease of life into the show. 

Floss and Neville had a grandparent-like relationship with the Fletcher kids, which worked well, but even that was replaceable with Alf and Ailsa's uncle/aunt type relationship. 

I also found both Floss and Neville a bit too camp and OTT for my liking. Floss' guest stints in the 2000s were good though, as she'd been toned down by then :)