Alf Stewart - Ray Meagher

Dean

• 2 months later...

Stone the Crows!! I can't believe nobody has come on to appreciate the fine specimen of pure, unadulterated masculinity that is Alfred 'Alf' Stewart. Shame on you Back to the Bay forum users. Alf Stewart has helped save the lives of pretty much every other character in H&A history (as the Captain of all SB rescue teams), as well as be a shoulder to cry on, a father/grandfather figure for many a young buck, and given a metaphorical kick up the a**se to anyone who has needed it over the years. He is a Bay legend!!

He is indeed a Bay legend, one that is tragically underused I'm still very sorry to say. Why he is given so little 'proper' screentime and material is totally and utterly beyond me. He's got excellent storyline potential, Ray is absolutely perfect in the part (No one else could be Alf. No one), viewers around the world adore him and there are so many more euphemisms that we're yet to hear, get hysterical over and plonk in the Quotes threads!

Simply put, he's an institution. He's the Bay's stalwart and, to be quite honest, who couldn't like Alf?! He's genuine, reliable, unintentionally hilarious and he has a heart of gold. I could go on. But while we know that he's a kind and worldly wise man, to an outsider he portrays this grumpy, sometimes bordering on sullen, exterior - and I love that. It means in some ways you never quite know what's coming next with him. Is he going to chuck those mongrels out of the Surf Club or is he simply going to give them a clip around the ear? Is he going to accept that the washing machine has blown up or is he going to go completely bananas? You know, it's that sort of thing that really makes me warm to Alf :D.

I don't feel like I talk about him a lot, but I think he's absolutely great and without him the show would feel emptier for me. So are there any other Alf fans out there who would like to talk about this flamin' legend? :D

• Like 1

He is indeed a Bay legend, one that is tragically underused I'm still very sorry to say. Why he is given so little 'proper' screentime and material is totally and utterly beyond me. He's got excellent storyline potential, Ray is absolutely perfect in the part (No one else could be Alf. No one), viewers around the world adore him and there are so many more euphemisms that we're yet to hear, get hysterical over and plonk in the Quotes threads!

Simply put, he's an institution. He's the Bay's stalwart and, to be quite honest, who couldn't like Alf?! He's genuine, reliable, unintentionally hilarious and he has a heart of gold. I could go on. But while we know that he's a kind and worldly wise man, to an outsider he portrays this grumpy, sometimes bordering on sullen, exterior - and I love that. It means in some ways you never quite know what's coming next with him. Is he going to chuck those mongrels out of the Surf Club or is he simply going to give them a clip around the ear? Is he going to accept that the washing machine has blown up or is he going to go completely bananas? You know, it's that sort of thing that really makes me warm to Alf :D.

I don't feel like I talk about him a lot, but I think he's absolutely great and without him the show would feel emptier for me. So are there any other Alf fans out there who would like to talk about this flamin' legend? :D

Alf dosenit seem to been as sticrt anymore hes seems to been lot more laid back.

• 1 month later...

I hope Alf doesn't have to wait another million years for a live interest. :(

Poor Alf is treated like a piece of furniture, I don't think he's really had a storyline since his eyesight problems. Well apart from Bridget but we didn't really see much of that anyways.

Here's hoping the writers acknowledge Alf's existence this year!

^ I agree. Alf really needs some storylines. He is always in the background working at the bar or you see him coming home with his fishing rod. Seriously! <_<

Ray is a great actor. He can definitely handle more complex and interesting storylines.

The older characters should definitely get some storylines. The younger cast members get all the drama. :rolleye:

The reason he was/is so popular and well known around the world is due to the period in time the show actually respected the character enough to have him an integral and important main character and his yearly fix of storylines, along with character development and consistent screen time that meant something, not stand behind a bar, and of course - Ray himself!!!

The writers just don't want to use adult characters like they did in the 80's and 90's - even though they seem to claim the show wouldn't be the same without them... well if that's the case, why don't you use them? The Bridget storyline was pretty much a filler and we didn't really get to see Alf form any sort of meaningful relationship with her, I still don't really know what ''they had''.

There is a reason the show was so hugely popular overseas initially - amongst many things, it was also about a community living in Summer Bay...which included at least 6 over 40 year old characters! I feel they should compromise and use this format again - it was at its best when the younger and older cast were on par with each other.

Back to Alf - I agree he's an icon - but the original was better.