Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

In the early years Irean treats Steven Materson like gum on her shoe for the next few years they got on ok at first but Dodge show up and make out Steven a monster then dogde fall over board and yell Steven name but not seeing it Irean believe Dogde poor Steven cant wait for the early years to come back after the tennis

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I don't know where to post this topic so feel free to move it...

I was just wondering why Irene never mentioned her grandsons (Paul and Mark) as I never had seen her talk about them neither mention anything about them on the show as considering she is the grandmother of Billie's baby.

I did remember back in 1997 (Episode 2099) when Irene gave birth to Paul as a surrogate mum for her daughter Finlay and her husband Barry.

Mark was born to Finaly and Barry (off-screen) on the show in 1997 (Episode 2161

I was just curious why Irene never talked about neither mentioned her grandsons on the show. :unsure:

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks! :)

On 04/11/2008 at 11:56 PM, Zetti said:

I think Irene, dont quote me on this but she is happy to be a stand in role just there to support storylines. I dont think she has a desire for a big storyline. I love Irene at times. She can be a bit condenscing but a lot of people can be condenscing as well so it not really a critiscm

Well, the writers are happy with that :wink:

11 hours ago, ~JarlieFanEver~ said:

Sorry I don't know where to post this topic so feel free to move it...

I was just wondering why Irene never mentioned her grandsons (Paul and Mark) as I never had seen her talk about them neither mention anything about them on the show as considering she is the grandmother of Billie's baby.

I did remember back in 1997 (Episode 2099) when Irene gave birth to Paul as a surrogate mum for her daughter Finlay and her husband Barry.

Mark was born to Finaly and Barry (off-screen) on the show in 1997 (Episode 2161

I was just curious why Irene never talked about neither mentioned her grandsons on the show. :unsure:

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks! :)

Because the show has no interested in continuity and making the characters feel like real people. 

Um, Damian was in no way nutty You might be thinking about Joey who Irene looked after? He had a mental illness that was played out and written very well without sensationalising the issue. So I don't think that would have been appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Um, Damian was in no way nutty. You might be thinking about Joey who Irene looked after? He had a mental illness that was played out and written very well without sensationalising the issue. So I don't think that would have been appropriate. 

I think Irene was at her best during this era. I loved how she supported Joey through it, despite not really understanding what was wrong and also being terrified at what could happen at times. She showed what a strong and loyal woman she really is. 

Edited by Blaxland 89
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blaxland 89 said:

Um, Damian was in no way nutty You might be thinking about Joey who Irene looked after? He had a mental illness that was played out and written very well without sensationalising the issue. So I don't think that would have been appropriate. 

I think Irene was at her best during this era. I loved how she supported Joey through it, despite not really understanding what was wrong and also being terrified at what could happen at times. She showed what a strong and loyal woman she really is. 

I do remember bits and pieces when Joey has visions of Saul and there was a scene when he pushed Irene down to the ground knocking her out or something like that...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been watching some of Irene's first episodes played by Jacqui Phillips and then her return played by Lynne McGranger in early and then late 1993. It just got me thinking.

I wonder why the producers kept deciding to bring her back and then make her a permanent character? 

It just seems strange if you look at the facts. Damian and Finlay realistically could have stayed with Michael and Pippa for their duration on the show, but I wonder if the plan was for both of them to go and live with Irene once she returned permanently? But then both the actors who played the kids decided to leave?

They were obviously keen for Irene to return as they felt her character was important enough to eventually re-cast her in 1993.