Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

Bianca is a grown woman who is well aware of what a nonce Heath is so I think it's difficult for Irene to be against their relationship, whereas Olivia is still young and she's just trying to stear her down the right path. Besides which I haven't seen Irene be particularly horrible to Hunter. Irene's still one of my favourites, but the sooner they bring back Fin or Damian the better. It'll just never happen though.

Irene is the most harsh she's ever been. While not exactly to Hunters face. The way she talks about Hunter is very harsh. She comes across with Olivia. Almost manipulative. I don't think it's her right personally to steer Olivia down the right path. While I accept she's her legal guardian. But Considering her anti bias towards Hunter. Olivia is nearing her 20s. Who's to say Hunter isint that right path? I just don't like how Harsh Irene has become. She's almost unlikeable.

Edited by Luke39

• 2 weeks later...

i have never thought that Irene is only a nice character. And she is so shifting, she has always been like that. I am only half way through 2016 (we are 6 months behind here in Norway), but I don't think she is harsher than she has been in the past. She has always treated other characters unfair. Some she adores no matter what they do, and others she "hate" for less.

She is against Hunter, but nothing more than she has been sceptical towards others earlier years. And she has a good reason to be sceptic about Hunter. But I remember she was harsh against Aden too, very harsh and  much harsher than she is now. Yep, he had done some bad things in the past, but at the time by the Annie incident he was nowhere near Hunter. And she accused him wrongly for rape, and didn't want to apologise, because he was just a boy with some bad behaviour (which wasn't that bad comparing to todays bad boys in H&A) Then she wasn't angry when Geoff skipped school because of what happened to Belle, but was after Aden because he was mourning his girlfriend. She was sceptical about Roman, and even Miles in the beginning... because he had no home.. As a former alcoholic, I think she has too little understanding for other's troubles. And yep, she was harsh against Josie... But then she wasn't sceptical against Kane and Kirsty even Kane raped Kirsty's sister... She had no bad feelings about Heath and Bianca either, they were adults - but so was Josie, Roman and Miles. 

I think it's more about who the writers want us to like no matter what, and who they want to create opinions about. And even if this also existed years ago, I think the tendency is more there now.. because I think we have seen this with Leah too, in the later years. 

For me, Irene has been a rubbish character from time to time. Her suddenly stalkers and over-the-top behaviour/reactions is making me not liking her. In these situations I find her overplayed. 

When did Irene become "prim and proper"? Was it done deliberately or because it's just easier to dress all the characters fashionable? She used to have very specific language. She would say "me" instead of "my", would use double negative, would say "get it" instead of "understand" or "hang on" instead of "wait" whereas now she speaks grammatically correct or in other words like everybody else which is boring.

1 hour ago, sindikatas said:

When did Irene become "prim and proper"? Was it done deliberately or because it's just easier to dress all the characters fashionable? She used to have very specific language. She would say "me" instead of "my", would use double negative, would say "get it" instead of "understand" or "hang on" instead of "wait" whereas now she speaks grammatically correct or in other words like everybody else which is boring.

I think Irene  starting becoming more prim and proper at beginning of 2000 or late 1999. 

But to be honest I never look at  Irene any less of adult character then Pippa or Ailsa. 

You just got to look at Cheryl Braxton and Janelle Timmins and they make 90s Irene look like queen Elisabeth. 

Infact I think 90s Irene is more mature then Irene in current time.