Irene Roberts - Lynne McGranger

Cerise

Irene was good in her earlier years when she actually got a storyline other than looking after Belle, Geoff and Annie which is perfectly fine, I'd just love to see Lynne in another more challenging role because she can be a great actress and very enjoyable to watch onscreen. Opinions? :)

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

She was supposed tog et another story line later this year, after the KK one, but as we are only about 3 weeks away from the end of the season I am not hopeful, unless that wonderful stand up row she had with Leah was IT!

I would really like to see her get something substantial I have argued long and hard for a long time that she is under used and under rated, and that some one who is as loved by viewers should and could be more central to the show than she has been. The Corey mercury poisoning story was the last major story she was given and that was on 2005! The KK story this year was not really an Irene centric story although it was great to see her in the thick of things even if it was only for a couple of weeks.

I think Irene, dont quote me on this but she is happy to be a stand in role just there to support storylines. I dont think she has a desire for a big storyline. I love Irene at times. She can be a bit condenscing but a lot of people can be condenscing as well so it not really a critiscm

I think Irene, dont quote me on this but she is happy to be a stand in role just there to support storylines. I dont think she has a desire for a big storyline. I love Irene at times. She can be a bit condenscing but a lot of people can be condenscing as well so it not really a critiscm

Accepting something or being philosophical about it when you are the only wage earner in your family is not the same as being happy about it. I would imagine Lynne accepts it as she has to, I would bet she would give her eye teeth for a really good story line to sink her teeth into. She is really good actress, the viewers like Irene, so it is a bit of a mystery as to why the writers and producers keep her on the back burner all the time.

Long term viewers who remember the days when Irene got some decent story lines and when she was there in the thick of things with The Smiths, with Selin, Chloe, Joey, Nelson, Paris, and even occasionally with Barry though thats was wasted opportunity, will know what i am talking about. Iren was aprt of her kids lives then and intricate to their story lines and they to hers and it was fantastic viewing. I thik they are losing out by notusing her this way today.

I like the fact Irene always bounces back no matter what happens to her she just gets on with it, one of life's battlers, she will have a weep, then get back on track smile and get through it. You have to love her. I do :D

I adore the character and wish very much that Irene would be treated with more respect by the writers. It feels as if they have forgotten her existence. I would disagree with Zetti , I have never found her condescending, a bit gobby as the saying goes, and can be quick to jump in where angels fear to tread, but her heart is always on the right place and she is always willing to admit it when she is wrong. The compassion which ran though all of her story lines a few years ago is less evident to today's newer viewers, but I think Lynne still manages to convey this despite the rather limited material she is given to work with.

Condencscing is perhaps the wrong word but quick to judge is more what I was trying to say, I do like Irene. She supports Geoff, Annie and Belle a lot. Puts up with Colleen. She does deserve a good storyline but she may be happy as she is at the moment.

Last nights scene btweeb Belle and Irene at the hospital ws really emotionally charged. Even when there are only a few scenes Lynne manages to inject the exact amount of emotional content and she and Jess Tovey were absolutely superb. It was great to see Irene all fired up over one of her kids and you could feel her emotion and her anger about the situation. you dont ften get that on the show, I wish we had more if it, and her.

• 3 months later...

How fantastic it is to see Lynne getting some decent air time once again. The current story line is not going to be my all time favorite, for very obvious reasons :P. but I very much enjoyed seeing Irene getting all girly and worried about her date with Lou, even though I have convinced myself he is going to be Corey's uncle and twice as evil.

I very much enjoyed seeing Irene getting all girly and worried about her date with Lou, even though I have convinced myself he is going to be Corey's uncle and twice as evil.

This would be an interesting twist wouldn't it?

Hope Lou turns out to be just what Irene needs. :wub: That's a nice uncomplicated romance, but there's no such thing as an uncomplicated relationship on Home & Away is there? :blink: