The anti/hate threads

Guest Frankie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Just a suggestion, maybe there should be a sub forum for anti threads. There are enough anti threads to fill it and it feels sometimes like the appreciation threads are competing with the anti threads for certain characters/couples to be on top which is a bit pointless and can be frustrating.

Why mince words? Anti-threads are hate threads - we all know it. "Anti" is just to minimize the reactions of outsiders who will be upset by the very notion of their favourite characters being hated. I don't see what is so wrong with hating a FICTIONAL character. Why on earth do people take it so personally? I get angry when people attack the actors because they hate the characters, but that is a whole other matter and is not at all what the anti threads are about. I also get angry when members of the board are attacked for their opinions. I HATE RACHEL. Is this news to anyone? Is Rachel off crying in a corner because I said it? No? Then what is the big deal!? It's just a character! Characters are not real. They do not have feelings. They are objects of obsession, positive and negative, and nothing more. A particularly well written and played character may give the illusion of reality and allow us to invest our emotions into it to an unhealthy level, but so what? What problem is it of yours if someone keeps their own obsessions (for the most part) to a love thread or a hate thread and doesn't expect to change your mind one way or the other? Hate threads are not a personal attack on you. Nor should they be. Nor should they inspire the fans of a character or couple to attack people of a different opinion. I don't think we need a whole other forum for hate threads - I think that would be pointless. The problem here is a lack of respect for human beings, not for characters, so nothing will be solved by segregating the forum. Those who have no respect for people of a different opinion will still seek out a conflict just because it's their god-given right to do so. Unless you make each thread password protected and only give the password out to members who have truly proven their tendencies towards love and hate, I don't see this ever being resolved outside of abolishing the whole section all together. And then what? We just go back to bickering in the discussion threads because no one wants to accept love and hate as real emotions that sometimes need to be projected onto unreal characters as an outlet... Jeez. It's not that big a deal. The only people haters should be hurting is themselves, getting all worked up over nothing. But you know, some of us find it cathartic and a form of stress release, so take that away and have us all swanning about talking about love and butterflies and rainbows 24/7 and I think we'll all go insane!

Honest to goodness, what IS the big deal about all of this!?

Archived