Writers Etiquette

Guest Skykat

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it doesn't particulary affect the reading of it. I certainly wouldn't go changing anything unless its from now on, theres plenty of writers who do use full stops. I wouldn't worry too much about it.x

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My problem is I don't write a fanfic. I write a bloody book. Seriously!

Ah yes, I've had that problem myself *cough-After-the-Crash-is-up-to-about-60-something-pages-cough* :unsure:. But that's not a bad thing. Some fics just want to be told that way.

What I've done in the past is given myself a page limit on chapters. For one of my fics, I said that each chapter could only be one page long, and everything I wanted to happen in that chapter had to be confined to that one page. You'd be surprised at how much information you can cram into such a short space.

If the problem is that you have too many chapters, or don't know where to end a fic... well, when I work out how to end things, I'll let you know :P, but as far as organising chapters, I find that having a story outine helps a lot. I actually have this little notebook where I write out the chapters and the things I want to happen in them. For example, say I wanted to write about a fic about Sally losing Flynn:

Chapter one - Flynn's dead

- Sally scatters Flynn's ashes on the beach

- Sally tells the kids everything will be okay

- Sally cries herself to sleep because she doesn't think that things will be okay at all

Chapter two - Sally at the diner

- Sally goes to the Diner with Pippa, and everyone's acting weird around her

- Sally snaps at them all and tells them to stop treating her like a freak

- Alf follows Sally home and tries to get her to open up, but she sends him away

Chapter three - the kids with their friends

Chapter four - Sally and the kids at school

etc.

...I don't know, something like that. These are just things that work for me. I find it helps to write out a plan and try to stick to it to avoid going off on a tangent. It's not fool-proof by any means (as anyone who's read my fics will know :P) but it's a guideline to show you how to get back on track if you get lost.

Hope that helped.

I know, I should plan out fics, but I never do. When I wrote the opening scene of "promises to keep" I didn't have a clue why Kane and Scott Phillips were burying a bloodied knife, jacket and rucksack in a moonlit graveyard... :P not till about the third or fourth chapter anyway. But it worked out okay.

And the only thing I ever knew about "Sally Called!" was that Milko would be kidnapped and what the last line of the fic will be, but that's coming together as well.

I rely too much on where characters take me, but that's not always a good idea. "Sleeping Beauty" began well but lost its way and "Rock Me Gently" got too bogged down in the middle. One day tho I WILL work out a fic before I begin...

Thanks Kat :)

EDIT: A have another one ....... sorry

Is it bad if a fic has a lot of dialogue and rather little discription?

Not really. There are different types of writing (eg stories, scriptwriting, poetry, etc). Some people write fantastic dialogue, others are better at description. If you can write both, great, but don't write descriptions that you don't feel comfortable with. It's fine, for instance, to write "the sun was golden and the sky a perfect blue" and leave it at that.

If you're writing a lot of dialogue, however, make it clear who's speaking and leave spaces between their conversation.

One day tho I WILL work out a fic before I begin...

Oh you don't have to work out the whole thing before you begin! How boring would that be :P? No, I just meant that you can write down sketches and plans of where you want to go. Say you've got that idea to have Kane and Scott burrying things, you could start with that and write out some ideas as to why they're burrying it, who they're trying to keep it from, who's going to find the evidence of what they've done, and then figure out what they've done :P.

Sometimes if you work out the subtext between characters, like what kind of emotions you want to be going on between Kane and Scott, then the actual plot will take shape around it.

ILM, neither!

One thing leads to another (my fic)- Started with Kit not wanting to give away the baby, and now Annabelle has been hit by a car? And Peter's in a coma...? IN fact, with the whole evil-person-holds-them-up-in-a-shed, I overlapped it so they all had a link to why they were there, BUT, I let my fingers do the typing. First thing that comes into my head, goes from the keyes onto the computer....is that a bad thing?

Thanks Kat :)

EDIT: A have another one ....... sorry

Is it bad if a fic has a lot of dialogue and rather little discription?

Not really. There are different types of writing (eg stories, scriptwriting, poetry, etc). Some people write fantastic dialogue, others are better at description. If you can write both, great, but don't write descriptions that you don't feel comfortable with. It's fine, for instance, to write "the sun was golden and the sky a perfect blue" and leave it at that.

If you're writing a lot of dialogue, however, make it clear who's speaking and leave spaces between their conversation.

Thanks for the advice ILM - really helped :D

I have another question ...... *sigh*

All the lies and secrecy had taken there toll on her

Does this sentence make sense? Also is it grammatically correct?

Ha, I'm going to charge fees! :wink:

The correct spelling is "their" - it's always "ei" when you're talking about something that belongs to someone. People often confuse them. But there are ways you can cheat in writing. Try changing sentences. It would probably read better if you wrote

"All the lies and secrecy had taken a heavy toll".

I have another question ...... *sigh*

All the lies and secrecy had taken there toll on her

Does this sentence make sense? Also is it grammatically correct?

Ha, I'm going to charge fees! :wink:

The correct spelling is "their" - it's always "ei" when you're talking about something that belongs to someone. People often confuse them. But there are ways you can cheat in writing. Try changing sentences. It would probably read better if you wrote

"All the lies and secrecy had taken a heavy toll".

lol you'd sure make a lot of money from me!

Right I must remember that.

Ah I see there is always a way around it!

Archived