Writers Assistance

-Annie-

When I get writer's block (which is pretty often :( ) I find these ideas sometimes help: :)

Leave the scene you're writing and move on to another part of your story. You'll often find it easier to work on when you go back to it.

Introduce a new character to your story. They don't have to be a main character, just someone who happens to be passing, but it will give you something to focus on.

Write something, anything, of the story, no matter how bad!!! You can always edit later.

Go back to the very beginning of your fic and re-read. You'll often get ideas just from reading over it again.

Work on something completely different for a while.

Hope that helps! :D My own problem is that I really want to write for kids but I think that sometimes my ideas are way too old for them while they're also too young for adults so I've really no idea of what age my stories suit best. :unsure:

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could a mod please pin this thread? :)

I love music - Thanks for the tips! I always get writers block and I just wait for it to pass. Unfortunately that can take a long time. In fact I've had writer's block for a good month or two now so I'm gonna try out some of your ideas... :) Also, in regard to what age your stories suit best wouldn't it be adolescents, as in teenagers? When you say children do you mean like 10-12ish or younger or older? I guess, when it comes to writing for younger kids the same themes just don't apply. Half of it is just not coming up with an adult plot. If you come up with an appropriate plot then the writing should come naturally.

Edited by jackandmartha!!!

Cool, I just thought this thread might be helpful! :) Thanks for all your adivce on my earlier question. :)

ILM - you rock! Thanks heaps, all the info is really helpful.

Ahh, I see whats going off...

Annie, are you competing against my Proof Reading Thread?

Well, girly, you best watch out, 'cos my Proof Reading army will kick your Writer's Block gang!

Watch your back.

Lol - just kiddin'! :P I wanted to act "hard". lol.

^No no! Lol Nicole, I thought a more broad thread, to discuss less particular things, like not exactly your own fic stuff. By the way, I know your joking, :P but just wanted to tell you that I do not, I repeat, do not plan on taking over the Proof thread. It rocks too much! :D

Mods - I'd really love it if you pinned this thread!

If you read my stories, most people know I'm a fan of endings that are unexpected. Mainly for two reasons. Shocking the reader to keep them keen, and also, keeping stories openended so if (by chance) one day you'd like to add more, you've got so many roads to take.

However, its pretty cool to sometimes give everyone a happy ending... I should do that more often actually.