Writers Assistance

-Annie-

A suggestion here.

Take an afternoon to sit down, listen to music and make plans. Make out several plans to fall back on and write. Pick out a favourite and stick with it. If you start off well and start getting writersblock about it go through the plan again and edit things. Make changes to it. Hell, even kill off characters or something. You can do it, girl!

Another idea is to make a one-shot fic and stick it out until it is all written at once.

Thank you for advice and support. I think I'll find a day when I have no plans what so ever, and then I'll sit down and plan it. I'll spend the day making plans, editing them etc. Then I'll find my favourite, and I won't let myself get side tracked. I'll have to learn self discipline lol.

And if I find myself in desperate need to write another at the same time, I'll simply do the one shot idea, that way, it will just take my mind of doing loads at once.

Thanks Tainted Muse! :):wink:

Jeh-Jeh - I've done that before. Wrote the end before it's been needed. I just knew it was how I wanted it to end, so I wrote it before I forgot. I did quite well though, it wasn't bad.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that one of my stories I was most proud of was for a piece of coursework for english, and I think it was because we HAD a deadline, and that was that. I didn't have time to go throwing it away because I've 'had a new idea', I had to get it done by the deadline. Sure, I felt pressured, but that just made me more determined. Maybe that's the secret to good writing....deadlines.

I have found that one of my stories I was most proud of was for a piece of coursework for english, and I think it was because we HAD a deadline, and that was that. I didn't have time to go throwing it away because I've 'had a new idea', I had to get it done by the deadline. Sure, I felt pressured, but that just made me more determined. Maybe that's the secret to good writing....deadlines.

That can be arranged! How about you have to meet the deadline for the challenge fic and enter something or else there'll be some form of painful punishment that I can't think of yet! Would that make you complete it? :P

I know what you mean about getting bored of things and just starting something new, I do it all the time. What helps me though is to have a real definate plan, a structure. I can mess around with the structure if I like but just having it gives me something to work from.

Also as I've mentioned in the challenge thread, getting other people's advice on things really helps. When I'm stuck with something now I'll ask another writer who I trust for their opinion and just bouncing ideas off a few people and taking different viewpoints and suggestions on board gives me back my inspiration to write.

My entry in the last challenge for example would not have been written if it wasn't for another writer's suggestions helping me overcome the severe writers block I had midway through it. Their suggestion gave me an idea with which to work with and I got my inspiration back.

Yeah, Amy...maybe just set yourself a mental deadline, even if it's not the actual one that's required by the comp. or whatever. Write it and stick it on a Post-It note in your house, or on your calendar or whatever...and, I never thought I'd say it, but treat it like a piece of English coursework! :D

Heres a question thats probably really stupid but do the stories that are posted here have to be about home and away? I'm in the middle of a story, it started out as one for school but then spiralled out of control, and would really like everybody to tell me what they think but its not home and away related!

I always get writers block. It's a curse. lol Problem is, as Tainted Muse said, you are determined to finish it, I can never just let it slip. And what happens is I think of all these other fic ideas but I don't start them because I know if I do, then I will never get the original fic done. I mean I've had these two ideas for two fics for about 1-2 months now and I still haven't started them yet because I'm still on my current fic. For me, I find completely changing where you first planned the story to go really helps, because it renews your interest in the plot and it's almost as if you're writing a new story. Sorry, that probably contradicts what some people have said above, but for me that works. Also doing something unexpected in your fic is good for me because I stay interested in it for longer. :)